Menu

Food security

Murphy101

I’m still not too worried about Covid but I’m worried about food security. Especially as a large family.

Anyone else stressing about this? I wasn’t too anxious until the threat to close bars and restaurants for the next 2 months came out. For the immediate, we’re fine. But I don’t think we can sustain this for 2 months.   Partly bc of finance and partly bc as people get sick they are going to miss grocery runs to stay stocked. I guess Lenten fasting is going to last a lot longer than lent this year for a lot of people. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, happypamama said:

I "only" have a family of eight, but a little. I worry that if they continue to see panic buying, they'll put limits on staples, which is hard for large families. Five dozen eggs might be stocking up for some people, but it's barely a week's worth for my family. 

I get that. We’re a large family as well. Fortunately 2 are adults now and on there own. Are any of your kids on the older side so they can shop as well? It’s a way to get around limits ( not to horde) to get what you need. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hshibley said:

I get that. We’re a large family as well. Fortunately 2 are adults now and on there own. Are any of your kids on the older side so they can shop as well? It’s a way to get around limits ( not to horde) to get what you need. 

None of them drive on their own yet, but I can send them in to buy a few things if need be. But that also comes with the risk of having two potential people exposed instead of just one. 

I did a massive WalMart pickup Friday, and that should last us close to two weeks. And then we shall see how it goes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m still not too worried about Covid but I’m worried about food security. Especially as a large family.

Anyone else stressing about this? I wasn’t too anxious until the threat to close bars and restaurants for the next 2 months came out. For the immediate, we’re fine. But I don’t think we can sustain this for 2 months.   Partly bc of finance and partly bc as people get sick they are going to miss grocery runs to stay stocked. I guess Lenten fasting is going to last a lot longer than lent this year for a lot of people. 

From what I'm reading only restaurant dining rooms are being closed. You can still pick up or get delivery. My guess is that almost all of the pizza and fast food places will continue operating, with perhaps sporadic staffing issues.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We're not a large family (there are five of us) and we're pretty well-stocked, plus the food we eat (plants) doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, so I think we'll be okay. I am wondering about the toilet paper situation, though. I hope the paper companies are working overtime so we can get back to a state of tp normalcy soon!

• Like 3

I’m not worried for me, but I know a lot of families who live day-to-day and even a one-day disruption in the food supply is a crisis.  The country I’m in has started to panic buy at the big grocery stores, but I’m not sure how the smaller places are doing. I’ll go out soon to check. I assume the suqs won’t be too bad since many people don’t have the luxury of panic buying.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

They have put limits on flour, pasta and rice here per customer.  I guess for large families you maybe have to take one or two kids and count them as customers.  

8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

One thing I *am* concerned about is actual security.  We already have a thread here about a college student who's roommate stole all her tp and food and lysol.  And we all know that there are people who loot and steal and otherwise take advantage of situations like this.  Right now, everyone's unsure, and this thing is just beginning.  But I am concerned about restaurants that are running on minimal staff just to keep their kitchens running for delivery/drive thu becoming targets, as well as delivery drivers.  The guys with the hand sanitizer horde have of course received the expected death threats once their story was out, but there are lots people with pics all over social media with their stockpiles of toilet paper and such.  

When people get scared, bad things can happen.  

I agree with you.  We had a hotly contested mileage renewal that passed on Tuesday largely because the township supervisor was threatening that police and fire would be laid off if it didn’t.  To be clear the guys who bought all that hand sanitizer were evil, but to agree to an article with your name and picture was just plain dumb.  As for people who post all sorts of stuff on social media, where they are vacationing (therefore also declaring they are not at home) or what they have are just asking for trouble.  It’s not private people!  Sort of like viruses, you may think you are only telling your friends, but information spreads.  What ever happened to the wise old advice of never discussing money or politics?   

One thing I have to say --- I was concerned, as our neighbors were all posting "HEB is out of milk, eggs, and all meat" and things like that all weekend. But then, our neighborhood began doing what it does best and posting things like "Hey, Dollar General has Lysol, the off brand, but it's behind the counter and you have to ask..." and "I'm going to Kroger, I'll report back.." and "Hey, if anyone sees oat milk, my kid is allergic to dairy, can you let me know? or pick up a carton for me and I'll pay you back?" and like 3 people replied to her and got her the milk. 

So, I'm thinking unless things get way way way worse, we'll probably be okay, at least for a while. Stores around us are starting to have a semi-steady flow of stuff (still no on the hand sanitizer and paper towels....), and at least in our neighborhood, people are so far being kind, sharing, etc. It was like that during Harvey, too, everyone sharing what we had (and stores were closed for several days), so I have hope it will be the same now. 

• Like 8

My son works as a grocery store manager in another city and he told me in all sincere fear last night that he was going to work armed from here on out.  People are already scared and angry and they aren’t making the connection that grocery stores have a very narrow profit margin and to his knowledge no stores are raising any prices on anything and he knows his store is not hoarding or setting aside for anyone. They just want to do their part to keep people fed and healthy. Get what you need and get the hell out without being an ahole and don’t take it out on the employees who are exhausted, extremely stressed, rarely make more than $14 an hr, and yes their kids are out of school at home too and yes they are scared and worried too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

One thing I have to say --- I was concerned, as our neighbors were all posting "HEB is out of milk, eggs, and all meat" and things like that all weekend. But then, our neighborhood began doing what it does best and posting things like "Hey, Dollar General has Lysol, the off brand, but it's behind the counter and you have to ask..." and "I'm going to Kroger, I'll report back.." and "Hey, if anyone sees oat milk, my kid is allergic to dairy, can you let me know? or pick up a carton for me and I'll pay you back?" and like 3 people replied to her and got her the milk. 

So, I'm thinking unless things get way way way worse, we'll probably be okay, at least for a while. Stores around us are starting to have a semi-steady flow of stuff (still no on the hand sanitizer and paper towels....), and at least in our neighborhood, people are so far being kind, sharing, etc. It was like that during Harvey, too, everyone sharing what we had (and stores were closed for several days), so I have hope it will be the same now. 

I'm also seeing people on FB volunteer to shop for elderly people or others who are high risk, and a group of people volunteered to make and deliver lunches to any kid stuck at home who needs it. Lots of good people.

• Like 7

Yes. Part of my food security is I don’t feel good secure unless I feel I have enough for plentiful sharing.  There’s the people who live in my house. Then there’s the people who I have regularly over for a meal or two a week. The people I make meals for at church.  Extended family that I suspect will need help. 

• Like 2

As long as it isn't a months long ordeal, I think we will be fine.  I stocked up a few weeks ago, thinking about 2-3 weeks with of stuff.  As a family of 8 we go through a lot of food, so as long as I can restock what we use, I will!  I know some stores are putting limits on canned goods, so I'm planning to take one teenager in with me this week.  I've told the kids it may not be what you want to eat but we wont go hungry.  As for the TP, I normally buy that in big boxes shipped to my house.  We are not out, but if the craziness doesnt stop in 2 weeks it's going to get bad!  I just went through it yesterday and I think we have about 2-3 weeks worth.  If I see any when I'm out I will be buying it!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

They have put limits on flour, pasta and rice here per customer.  I guess for large families you maybe have to take one or two kids and count them as customers.  

Here the limit is on rice. 2 packs per customer. While we buy the 15lb size, they have the 25lb and 50lb size bags. So someone could buy two 50lb bags of rice.

A nearby Korean supermarket has a limit of 2 cans of SPAM per customer. We were surprised since my nearest supermarket has plenty of SPAM left on their shelves.

I have a pretty good stock but I do wonder how things will be in the long term. I don't foresee going hungry but I do think we might not to get exactly what we want to eat. It is incredibly spoiled but I really hope we continue to have access to plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, gardening season starts soon but things take a while to grow and I like to have a good amount of fresh food. We have done the best we can to prepare the kids just in case. I really hope it doesn't come down to rationing food, that would be very hard as a parent. I realize how blessed we are to live in such an abundance where I've never had to worry about feeding my family. 

I have a good stock of TP now but with a family of 6 we go through plenty. We are keeping an eye on TP and getting a pack here and there when we can, I don't want to get low with how the supply has been. I do have a stash of rags (and bleach) along with a peri bottle if I have to. 

I think it is all magnified the bigger your family because it just takes more of everything. We only have a handful of cases in our state and none in our immediate area yet the grocery stores are running out of this and that, so that is not very good for the confidence. 

We shall see. We are trying to prepare for the worst (without going nuts) and hope for the best.

6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Quoting myself as I am thinking about this a bit more....

I really really hope that people who went on a panic buying craze this past week actually USE this stuff.  I would hate to have people have bought, for example, two giant costco sized bags of rice, then never use it because they don't really like rice, and then it passes the "best buy" date and they throw out all that rice.

Or at least donate it when this passes, if we're lucky food pantries will be doing well at the end of this. I'm sure plenty have bought lots they won't use unless things are dire. I always buy rice in 20# bags (or more), so my rice buying was not different expect this time I made sure to get 2 bags(40#), I was very glad when I saw our favorite kind of rice (jasmine) was entirely out of stock now, it will certainly get used at my house we eat rice several times a week. 

Edited by soror

I'm trying not to add to the problems at the grocery stores, so that means I am putting my faith in the food supply system.  If I'm wrong, we'll be eating a lot of stale beans and then maybe losing some weight.  Most of us can stand to lose a little.

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

I'm trying not to add to the problems at the grocery stores, so that means I am putting my faith in the food supply system.  If I'm wrong, we'll be eating a lot of stale beans and then maybe losing some weight.  Most of us can stand to lose a little.

I told my girls that if push comes to shove, we just eat a late breakfast (because we have plenty of oatmeal and breakfast bars) and then an early dinner.  We can do fine on two meals a day. They looked at me like I was crazy. I was in jest...but also laying out my options if things get tight. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, SKL said:

If dried beans are really old watch out they will be hard to cook until tender.

I'm not worried for us.  We might be stuck eating rice, beans, canned produce, powdered soy milk, and whatever carp the boys pull out of the nearby river, but we won't starve.

I am worried for some family who blew me off when I gently suggested they start prepping a month ago. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

And I hope that the food that restaurants currently have that they are unable to use (due to being closed to dine in customers) is all able to be donated so that those who have already started losing their jobs or seeing their hours reduced can access it.  

Here many restaurants get daily delivery of supplies so it’s the restaurant suppliers that might have a surplus.

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Yes. Part of my food security is I don’t feel good secure unless I feel I have enough for plentiful sharing.  There’s the people who live in my house. Then there’s the people who I have regularly over for a meal or two a week. The people I make meals for at church.  Extended family that I suspect will need help. 

I am trying to keep eating fresh foods now, so as to save shelf stable for sickness or shutdowns.  Not so easy ! Feeling stressed I munched through two boxes of shelf stable gluten free crackers that tend to be out on local shelf and require special order even when there’s no CV going on.  Oops.

At stores in my area as others above are reporting, fruits, vegetables are plentiful. So are other perishables .  I ran out of milk,  and parsley and celery (made a big IP of vegetable soup, which can be good way to feed people IME) , so I hope that holds true for getting more of these, especially milk, today. 

This may be a good time for Stone Soup style soup making if in a church group, helping seniors with meals, etc. 

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

DH went in to work today in a large video conferencing center to conference with two other workers.  We have one tiny hand sanitizer bottle between the two of us.  I had seen last Monday that we would not be able to get hand sanitizer, so I ordered little glass bottle with spray tops to put isopropyl alcohol and water mixture (I have no idea what to substitute for aloe gel- it is not available and I am allergic anyway)..  I sent him with that and with hydrogen peroxide wipes I got.

• Like 1

I wasn’t worried about food until yesterday.  We are well stocked for a few weeks.  Something about being told not to worry had the opposite effect.

Kids here are anaphylactic to a boatload of foods, so our needs are very specific and sometimes hard to find.  Many packaged foods are cross contaminated.  I get panicky about making sure they have safe food.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

12 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I wasn’t worried about food until yesterday.  We are well stocked for a few weeks.  Something about being told not to worry had the opposite effect.

Kids here are anaphylactic to a boatload of foods, so our needs are very specific and sometimes hard to find.  Many packaged foods are cross contaminated.  I get panicky about making sure they have safe food.

I am grocery shopping for a friend in this situation; I could "hear" the panic in her voice as she sent the list with brand-specific items bolded, starred, etc. that these particular things must be this brand as they're known to be safe for her children. 

Hopefully we can find what she needs; hoping/wishing/praying the same for you as well (and all those in the same boat). It must be so frightening. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Plum said:

Everyone asks if the food on the LV strip is donated and that answer is complicated. It used to go to shelters but liability issues and regulations shut that down. Now there are certain circumstances that allow for donating cooked and unused fresh foods from businesses. It stinks. 

I posted this on the big thread but I’m sure it got lost. My Chamber of Commerce held a press conference yesterday to hopeful reduce the panic buying and hoarding. They said the supply is fine. The issues is restocking and logistics. Truckers were only allowed to work 11hours. It was taking 6 hours just to fill the truck because the distribution centers are so busy. That didn’t leave enough time for travel and delivery. Now that the state of emergency was declared, they can extend those hours to get shipments here faster. 
Don’t reasonable explanations make such a difference?

But isn't it also that people are buying more than normal?  I think the the president's press conference yesterday he said the stores told him that it was because people are buying 3-5 times more than normal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Plum said:

Everyone asks if the food on the LV strip is donated and that answer is complicated. It used to go to shelters but liability issues and regulations shut that down. Now there are certain circumstances that allow for donating cooked and unused fresh foods from businesses. It stinks. 

I posted this on the big thread but I’m sure it got lost. My Chamber of Commerce held a press conference yesterday to hopeful reduce the panic buying and hoarding. They said the supply is fine. The issues is restocking and logistics. Truckers were only allowed to work 11hours. It was taking 6 hours just to fill the truck because the distribution centers are so busy. That didn’t leave enough time for travel and delivery. Now that the state of emergency was declared, they can extend those hours to get shipments here faster. 
Don’t reasonable explanations make such a difference?

Reasonable answers are good.

However -- and I don't mean to alarm you at all -- many of us are in states that declared emergencies last week that, among other things, waived a lot of trucking regulations. And we're still having noticeable shortages.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

However -- and I don't mean to alarm you at all -- many of us are in states that declared emergencies last week that, among other things, waived a lot of trucking regulations. And we're still having noticeable shortages.

Here people were buying more for the 3 weeks of school closure, then went a 2nd round of buying for Dr Fauci’s suggestion of 8 weeks. Think it will take a while for stores to stabilize their inventory.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TheReader said:

I am grocery shopping for a friend in this situation; I could "hear" the panic in her voice as she sent the list with brand-specific items bolded, starred, etc. that these particular things must be this brand as they're known to be safe for her children. 

Hopefully we can find what she needs; hoping/wishing/praying the same for you as well (and all those in the same boat). It must be so frightening. 

It’s so hard!

If your friend, by any chance, needs Sunbutter and you can’t find it ... I have extra, and will be happy to mail some.  Not sure of her family’s allergies, or if it’s hard to find.  Just keep it in mind, if there are peanut or tree nut allergies. I think it’s still available on Amazon, too.  We’ve had good luck with ordering some allergy friendly foods from Amazon.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Plum said:

My state did as well and that’s what loosened up the hours for truckers. There’s only so much that can fit on a truck and when people snatch up whatever is in stock, they'll never catch up. We have to figure out how to curb the hoarding and panic shopping. 
I think all of the big stores should close their doors and convert to pick up and delivery only. They should limit more items per customer. One of the Costcos has a line going around the building at 7am this morning. My Smiths has a line to get in yesterday morning.  That’s not good for distancing or for morale. Of course that leads to food insecurity. By the time someone gets into the store it’s like Black Friday sale madness. At this point, stores aren’t worried about sales. They are worried for their employees and for their customers safety.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I seriously doubt they have, or could quickly develop, the capability to meet that kind of demand. And I'm not talking extraordinary stocking up demand, just normal shopping.

56 minutes ago, Plum said:

I think all of the big stores should close their doors and convert to pick up and delivery only. They should limit more items per customer. One of the Costcos has a line going around the building at 7am this morning. My Smiths has a line to get in yesterday morning.  That’s not good for distancing or for morale. Of course that leads to food insecurity. By the time someone gets into the store it’s like Black Friday sale madness. At this point, stores aren’t worried about sales. They are worried for their employees and for their customers safety.

The Asian supermarkets here seems to have more stable store inventories all of last week. So you might want to try the 99Ranch at LV’s Chinatown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, happypamama said:

I "only" have a family of eight, but a little. I worry that if they continue to see panic buying, they'll put limits on staples, which is hard for large families. Five dozen eggs might be stocking up for some people, but it's barely a week's worth for my family. 

Yes!!  What looks like hoarding to some people gets me through a week.  We didn't panic purchase, but I'm kinda wishing we had.  I think we will be fine on tp and the like, but people need to just calm down and stop over purchasing.

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

From what I'm reading only restaurant dining rooms are being closed. You can still pick up or get delivery. My guess is that almost all of the pizza and fast food places will continue operating, with perhaps sporadic staffing issues.

One of my dd's works at a pizza place and she said the call in orders were way up.  As of now they haven't limited customers, but I assume its coming.  

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ugh!  I understand, but it makes it so hard for us!!  I guess I'll send dh to get one set and an adult daughter to get another.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plum said:

They should limit more items per customer.

I understand, but with a large family that's tricky.  We can literally fill two grocery carts full on a normal shopping trip.  I know I could send multiple vehicles (me, dh, dd, etc.), but that can be a logistical nightmare.  

It's times like these that I wish I was a bit more conspiracy theorist and kept a quiet, prepper hoard in my non-existent basement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, happypamama said:

If this happens, it will be per order. I'd go with a kid and have them pay with cash or a different credit card so you can get two rations of every limited item.

1 hour ago, Plum said:

Oh yes. People bought way more than needed and continue to do so. It will come back in stock it is just requires some time to replenish  and restock. 
My Walmart just got a box of rubbing alcohol and it was gone in minutes. They didn’t even need to stock it. Straight out of the box. Supplies are coming in. I don’t blame anyone for getting nervous seeing all of the empty shelves. I’ve never experienced that before. 

I think this depends a lot on where you live and the natural disasters you've experienced. Our local stores look like they do in the days before a hurricane. Most shoppers have done hurricane prep before and aren't as freaked out by empty shelves. That's part of our life experiences. It's not great, but it's not unexpected either. There's still plenty of stuff, it's just not necessarily the stuff you'd normally choose.

• Like 3

For others who live in a metro area with nearby farms, look and see if there's a CSA or online farmers' market you can join. Mine delivers once a week. The supply chain is short and will not be easily disrupted. Some offer local meat, eggs, milk, baked goods, and/or fresh flowers in addition to produce.

Here in the NC Triangle, we have

and some others.

Hungry Harvest serves several metro areas on the East Coast.

If you have a washing machine, water and cloth can be a reusable substitute for TP.

• Like 1

After this weekend I have a deeper appreciation of my grandparent's food insecurities (I cleaned out both my maternal grandparent's homes after they passed, lots of expired items bought in bulk that we had to toss, tiny little containers of leftovers stashed in the freezer, etc). I already understood on an intellectual level, but now I get it on a gut/emotional level better than I did before. It was surreal walking through the store Saturday morning trying to get milk and bread and seeing empty shelves and harried workers and shoppers desperately trying to figure out what to buy of what little is left; and then seeing people posting pics all weekend of still empty shelves and trying to track down things their families need.

I am a monthly meal prepper/shopper so I have the meat/non perishable items needed for the next couple of weeks worth of dinners (breakfast and lunch tend to rely heavily on fresh/perishable items and aren't really planned, but that will probably have to change) that I bought a couple weeks ago. I even bought some canned soups, boxed mac and cheese and pudding cups the week before last (in case anyone gets sick) as we started seeing things ramping up around here. My weekly shop is usually not that bad (usually just fruit/veg and dairy products for the week) but if I were to try to do a monthly shop anytime soon, I'm sure it would look like hoarding to others. And I'm not sure I would able to get what I wanted all at once. So I'm making up the next month's dinner menu this week and I will be picking up items when I do my weekly shopping, a little at a time. I usually don't have extra canned/non perishable items on hand, but I will pick up an extra can of soup or bottle of juice here and there. I will buy bigger bags of rice and sugar than I normally would. I will buy earlier than I normally would when things (toilet paper for example) start to run low. Of course, this plan depends on stores around here being able to restock. Also, I say I, but the current plan is to have the adults who have to go in to work do the shopping (I won't be shopping unless limits reach a point where we need more than one person shopping to be able to buy what we need). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

It’s so hard!

If your friend, by any chance, needs Sunbutter and you can’t find it ... I have extra, and will be happy to mail some.  Not sure of her family’s allergies, or if it’s hard to find.  Just keep it in mind, if there are peanut or tree nut allergies. I think it’s still available on Amazon, too.  We’ve had good luck with ordering some allergy friendly foods from Amazon.

Awww, thank you so much! I don't think that's on her list, but thank you! Luckily we do at least live in an area where I can trek all over and likely find the things on the list (and I do have Amazon prime if need be) so should be fine, but.....thank you. Your offer is so kind!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

It’s so hard!

Awww, thank you so much! I don't think that's on her list, but thank you! Luckily we do at least live in an area where I can trek all over and likely find the things on the list (and I do have Amazon prime if need be) so should be fine, but.....thank you. Your offer is so kind!

Our state is just starting to shut down.  There was some panic shopping Thursday -saturday.  Settled down Sunday.  WM market  and Publix were stocking shelves this morning around 7.  I found what I needed, not specific brands but it's ok.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plum said:

Scrolling through FB:

Amazon is hiring 100k workers to help with surge in orders

Walmart is hiring 500 truck drivers

Smiths Grocery is hiring

Fred Meyer is hiring

Great news.  I hope it can help some of the workers who have lost their jobs because of places closing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lynn said:

Our state is just starting to shut down.  There was some panic shopping Thursday -saturday.  Settled down Sunday.  WM market  and Publix were stocking shelves this morning around 7.  I found what I needed, not specific brands but it's ok.   

What state?  I think that it is going to happen to all states shortly. 

13 hours ago, Selkie said:

We're not a large family (there are five of us) and we're pretty well-stocked, plus the food we eat (plants) doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, so I think we'll be okay. I am wondering about the toilet paper situation, though. I hope the paper companies are working overtime so we can get back to a state of tp normalcy soon!

I live within driving distance of several major manufacturers.   They are working round the clock and adding production lines to re-supply America with TP as soon as possible.

• Like 2