Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

18 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

80 percent of total population, or 80 percent of eligible population? Again, if this is a case of 80% of say, adults, but 20 percent of the population is kids...it isn't enough. Then you start getting lax with masks, distancing, etc due to a false sense of security and things go badly. 

This, this, this.  The answer is obviously the latter. People keep saying 80 or 90 percent of a "population" is vaxxed, and keep wondering why it's still spreading.  Maybe because *all the kids* are *not vaxxed* - and even if they're not getting super-sick, they're happily spreading it around and responsible for much of the breakthrough cases.  Kids are humans - and part of the population!  They need to be counted, not discounted.  They need protection and also to be recognized as the vectors they are.

I'm going to feel so much better after the younger kids here start getting the vax en masse (and I'm fairly sure at least around here there will be a large uptake - teens here are at over 90%).  No idea what Britain is thinking with their 'only give the teens one dose and let's forget the younger ones altogether'...  That's just nuts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

You would think that on a population basis the benefit of lowering the risk of break through infections in adults exposed to kids would be enough to encourage fully vaccinating kids. Especially since it doesn't seem like one dose gives much protection at all against Delta. 

80 percent of total population, or 80 percent of eligible population? Again, if this is a case of 80% of say, adults, but 20 percent of the population is kids...it isn't enough. Then you start getting lax with masks, distancing, etc due to a false sense of security and things go badly. 

No total population if I understand correctly.  About 88pc of total?

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.rivm.nl/en/covid-19-vaccination/figures-vaccination-programme

actual Netherland stats - I can’t find whole population though.  Still similar to Australia’s planned reopening so we will be in a similar position with the exception of WA who have decided they won’t open till 90%

Reuters puts the figure for the total population at 69.6%:

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/netherlands/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.rivm.nl/en/covid-19-vaccination/figures-vaccination-programme

actual Netherland stats - I can’t find whole population though.  Still similar to Australia’s planned reopening so we will be in a similar position with the exception of WA who have decided they won’t open till 90%

Yeah, that says 82% over 12yo are fully vaxxed. But leaves still 0% of under 12s that are still unvaxxed human vectors - along with the 10% or so of unvaxxed 12+.

17 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

That sounds more like the actual number.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

You would think that on a population basis the benefit of lowering the risk of break through infections in adults exposed to kids would be enough to encourage fully vaccinating kids. Especially since it doesn't seem like one dose gives much protection at all against Delta. 

Yes, I don't know. As the adult vaccination rate is very high it is largely breakthrough cases to worry about, as you say. And if that's the case, is the very low risk to the individual child of the second jab too high? 

I suspect that they are looking at hospitalisation rather than infection,  and a single Pfizer dose - Pfizer is being used on young people - is very protective. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/15/the-covid-delta-variant-how-effective-are-the-vaccines

I'm personally very concerned about Long Covid,  but given the wooliness of the data, no government seems to be addressing that.

Screenshot_20211107-073849_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

From today, everyone in Australia over age 18 can get a booster if they were vaccinated 6mths ago or longer. This would mostly be health workers/police etc as vaccination rolled out pretty slowly here. I wouldn't be due till sometime next year.

I'm waiting for my blue letter. My six months is up on Wednesday. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm waiting for my blue letter. My six months is up on Wednesday. 

Fantastic. Are they boosting with Pfizer in the UK or AZ?

NSW at 187 new cases today and Vic with 1126 so a little bit lower than before. NSW almost at 90% vaccinated (over age 16).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

From today, everyone in Australia over age 18 can get a booster if they were vaccinated 6mths ago or longer. This would mostly be health workers/police etc as vaccination rolled out pretty slowly here. I wouldn't be due till sometime next year.

Yeah, I'm not due till Dec. Am going to try to get it earlier so I can go back to work before term ends. 

Glad that HCW are getting it. Some of them are 7+ months out. 

13 minutes ago, AurieD said:

Where did you see/hear this? I've been keeping an eye out but haven't heard anything.

from abc blog

Vaccines for under 12s unlikely to begin until next year

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt says it's unlikely children aged 5 to 11 will start getting COVID-19 vaccinations before the end of the year. 

Pfizer booster shots are being rolled out from today for adults who had their second dose six months ago, but the medical regulator hasn't given the green light to vaccinations for children.

Mr Hunt told Sky News that Pfizer was yet to submit all its paperwork and he did not expect jabs to start for children until early in the new year.

"We haven't got the full detail yet from Pfizer. And Moderna will also put in its application," he said.

"So our plan and expectation has always been to commence as soon as they have completed their deliberations. But those deliberations are going to take the coming weeks."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Vaccines for under 12s unlikely to begin until next year

While I'm initially really sad about this, there is a bright side at least; hopefully people who are hesitant, like my husband, will have a few more weeks to see how it goes in the USA etc and become reconciled to it. It does mean that my kids are still at risk at Christmas though, and the plan was for a really big family Christmas. I guess we shall see. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes, I don't know. As the adult vaccination rate is very high it is largely breakthrough cases to worry about, as you say. And if that's the case, is the very low risk to the individual child of the second jab too high? 

I suspect that they are looking at hospitalisation rather than infection,  and a single Pfizer dose - Pfizer is being used on young people - is very protective. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/15/the-covid-delta-variant-how-effective-are-the-vaccines

I'm personally very concerned about Long Covid,  but given the wooliness of the data, no government seems to be addressing that.

Screenshot_20211107-073849_Chrome.jpg

Do we have any idea how long that lasts, though? 

9 hours ago, bookbard said:

Fantastic. Are they boosting with Pfizer in the UK or AZ?

NSW at 187 new cases today and Vic with 1126 so a little bit lower than before. NSW almost at 90% vaccinated (over age 16).

Those are good vaccination rates. Yes, Pfizer for everyone,  I think. I had AZ before. 

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Do we have any idea how long that lasts, though? 

I don't think so.  As far as I remember,  the single-jab announcement said they would look again in a couple of months  - the UK has mostly used a 12-week gap anyway. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-08/nsw-health-data-reveals-protection-covid-19-vaccine-gives/100603470

Data comparing death rates in vaxed to unvaxed NSW

“People in NSW who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 were 16 times more likely to die, or end up in intensive care during the state's Delta outbreak, new government data has revealed.

At the peak of the outbreak between August 25 and September 7, 49.5 per 100,000 fully vaccinated people were infected with the virus, compared with 561 per 100,000 unvaccinated people.

The data was collated by NSW Health and released today.

COVID ICU admissions or deaths peaked between September 8 and September 21, in just 0.9 per 100,000 fully vaccinated people, compared with 15.6 per 100,000 unvaccinated.

It means people who had not had a COVID-19 jab were 16 times more likely to die, or get so sick they needed the top level of hospital care.”

• Like 1

Not sure what is going to happen at work because of the vaccine mandate. So far it looks like a number of people aren’t going to comply, but they haven’t given the final word yet, so maybe people are holding out until they absolutely have to. There are many hard core refusers though, who might find it hard to back down. I have, so far, not heard much at all in the way of well reasoned, evidence based rationale from any of them for their stance. A hospital fairly close by seems to be granting lots of exemptions, so maybe that’s the way it will be here too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TCB said:

Not sure what is going to happen at work because of the vaccine mandate. So far it looks like a number of people aren’t going to comply, but they haven’t given the final word yet, so maybe people are holding out until they absolutely have to. There are many hard core refusers though, who might find it hard to back down. I have, so far, not heard much at all in the way of well reasoned, evidence based rationale from any of them for their stance. A hospital fairly close by seems to be granting lots of exemptions, so maybe that’s the way it will be here too.

I am curious what they are granting exemptions for. In my state, there is now a real pushback from more populist representatives on requirements for any vaccine, not just covid, for any job, including healthcare workers. I feel like if local hospitals push too hard, they will get more of this, and if they grant too many exemptions, we'll end up with a new expectation that it's acceptable for people to go into healthcare with an anti-vax stance. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, TCB said:

I have, so far, not heard much at all in the way of well reasoned, evidence based rationale from any of them for their stance.

I keep reading quotes from people who are reluctantly getting the vaccine due to mandates and saying they are keeping it a secret from family and friends because it’s considered an act of political betrayal 😞

• Sad 8

https://www.science.org/content/article/why-delta-so-infectious-new-lab-tool-spotlights-little-noticed-mutation-speeds-viral-spread

Really interesting article about a new technique developed by Nobel Prize winner Jennifer Doudna at UC Berkeley, which allows scientists to look at mutations in viral proteins in new ways. Because of technical limitations, scientists have mostly focused on the spike protein, but with this new technique they found a mutation in the nucleocapsid (N) protein of Delta that may explain why viral loads are vastly higher:

"The N protein is a central player in viral replication, with roles that include stabilizing and releasing the virus’ genetic material. And it contains a mutational hot spot: a seven–amino acid stretch that is mutated in every SARS-CoV-2 variant of interest or concern in most samples studied. R203M is one mutation in this hot spot ... [and it] "supercharged the particles with 10 times more mRNA compared with the original virus” ... The scientists next tested a real coronavirus engineered to include the R203M mutation, in appropriate lab biosafety conditions. After invading lung cells in the lab, the mutated virus produced 51 times more infectious virus than an original SARS-CoV-2 strain."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TCB said:

Our hospital mandate was very successful.  We had quite a few hold out until the very last moment, but almost everyone complied when push came to shove.  I'm rounding numbers for privacy, buy of approx 3000 staff, 40 were terminated for non-compliance with the mandate, 10 staff were granted exemptions, and 20 extensions (in process of getting series done, but missed deadline).  We are more than 99% vaxed now.  Before the hospital mandate, we were only about 80%.  Exemptions must meet strict criteria and are not easy to get.  Those numbers are in line with with what I've seen published at hospitals elsewhere here and in the US (about 1% staffing loss).

ETA: The mandate give the up-to-now refusers an out; a chance to save face.  

You haven't heard any well-reasoned evidence-based rationale from vaccine-refusers in health care because, short of legitimate medical exemptions, which are rare,  there aren't any.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 13

My local hospital has started releasing figures for its own location. COVID patients are 20% of the intensive care unit and 6.6% of hospital patients (in a context where they are about 1% of the population - it seems my area's doing considerably better than the UK national average in terms of total infections). By the standards of the last two years, it's fairly quiet in most of the hospital, with about 30% of regular beds empty... ...but intensive care is full.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

My local hospital has started releasing figures for its own location. COVID patients are 20% of the intensive care unit and 6.6% of hospital patients (in a context where they are about 1% of the population - it seems my area's doing considerably better than the UK national average in terms of total infections). By the standards of the last two years, it's fairly quiet in most of the hospital, with about 30% of regular beds empty... ...but intensive care is full.

Our hospital was already too small but now 90% of ICU beds are Covid patients and 20% of regular beds.  Meanwhile, most people in our county are anti-vax and anti-mask.  It's crazy. There aren't enough beds or staff to care for all the patients.  😞  

• Sad 7

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

I am curious what they are granting exemptions for. In my state, there is now a real pushback from more populist representatives on requirements for any vaccine, not just covid, for any job, including healthcare workers. I feel like if local hospitals push too hard, they will get more of this, and if they grant too many exemptions, we'll end up with a new expectation that it's acceptable for people to go into healthcare with an anti-vax stance. 

I don’t work for the hospital granting exemptions, but several people I work with do. It sounded like the exemptions were very vague and seemed to just require signing something asking for one.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I keep reading quotes from people who are reluctantly getting the vaccine due to mandates and saying they are keeping it a secret from family and friends because it’s considered an act of political betrayal 😞

This seems crazy and sad. I am so sick of politics!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wathe said:

You haven't heard any well-reasoned evidence-based rationale from vaccine-refusers in health care because, short of legitimate medical exemptions, which are rare,  there aren't any.

Yes it’s hard to have any kind of productive discussion about it because they can’t really state why they hold that position. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TCB said:

Yes it’s hard to have any kind of productive discussion about it because they can’t really state why they hold that position. 

One friend that is not a healthcare worker that is incensed on behalf of healthcare workers is protesting mandates because she thinks we could lose the right to homeschooling if we comply with this kind of thing now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

One of my brothers probably has Covid - lateral flow test positive, waiting for PCR result. He has light flu symptoms.  Quite worrying as he has heart disease - atypical and difficult to treat - for which he has had two stents. He has only met people to play tennis and golf outside in the past month. But my SIL - who has no symptoms - works in a school.

He was double jabbed with AZ about six months ago. Not yet boostered.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Sad 16

On 11/7/2021 at 2:43 AM, Laura Corin said:

Right, but not hospitalized has nothing to do with them spreading it to people that then do end up in the hospital, or worse. 

You can't control this thing if a large part of the population is not fully vaccinated. 1 shot does very very little to prevent infection, according to that same study. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

One friend that is not a healthcare worker that is incensed on behalf of healthcare workers is protesting mandates because she thinks we could lose the right to homeschooling if we comply with this kind of thing now. 

I honestly don’t know what I think of the mandates. From a purely practical point of view I’m sure mandates will mean more people get vaccinated. But looking at our society and the need for us to work together- I’m not sure mandates will help. I’m also not impressed with the stupid, non-evidence based reasoning some of my fellow HCWs are using to fear the vaccinations. Not enjoying working through a pandemic with a number of conspiracy believing co-workers who’s lived experience contradicts the conspiracies, and yet whose political beliefs beliefs are so strongly held that they can deny what they see with their own eyes. I would never have believed this was possible before this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

54 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Montana has the highest per capita hospitalization rate in the country right now, the CEO of the largest healthcare system in the state says their ICUs are at 150% of capacity, 85% of the patients have covid, and the politicians are less concerned with the number of people hospitalized and dying than they are with political grandstanding to prevent a private company from requiring that healthcare employees get vaccinated. Insane.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

1 minute ago, TCB said:

But looking at our society and the need for us to work together- I’m not sure mandates will help.

For sure, this is a concern, and where I live, a big one.

1 minute ago, TCB said:

I’m also not impressed with the stupid, non-evidence based reasoning some of my fellow HCWs are using to fear the vaccinations. Not enjoying working through a pandemic with a number of conspiracy believing co-workers who’s lived experience contradicts the conspiracies, and yet whose political beliefs beliefs are so strongly held that they can deny what they see with their own eyes. I would never have believed this was possible before this.

Yep. This is so disturbing. I do feel as though the HCW are doing better than the general population here, but there are a few that are still pretty out there with their rationalizations. They feel no moral responsibility to end this with individual action. They feel that people can choose protection or not, and they don't believe the protection is worth the "risk" to themselves. The whole idea of protecting the vulnerable is not in their worldview.

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Montana has the highest per capita hospitalization rate in the country right now, the CEO of the largest healthcare system in the state says their ICUs are at 150% of capacity, 85% of the patients have covid, and the politicians are less concerned with the number of people hospitalized and dying than they are with political grandstanding to prevent a private company from requiring that healthcare employees get vaccinated. Insane.

Our state legislators have tried to push through two different bills similar to this one. So far, we've avoided having them become law. I don't know how long that will last. The people testifying on behalf of these sorts of bills are way out there and present lies. I don't understand. I know two nurses in favor of these bills. (One is only about Covid; one is banning all vaccine mandates for all employers for all illnesses.)

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

The whole idea of protecting the vulnerable is not in their worldview.

Quite an interesting view for people in healthcare to hold. Hard to believe really, as I see so many of them being very kind and caring to the vulnerable people they are caring for. The only apt expression is - The whole world has gone mad!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

3 minutes ago, TCB said:

Quite an interesting view for people in healthcare to hold. Hard to believe really, as I see so many of them being very kind and caring to the vulnerable people they are caring for. The only apt expression is - The whole world has gone mad!

What's weird is that if it's phrased that way, they would say they are protecting people. They don't really believe the vaccine is doing that enough to make a difference and to take a risk. When I've hinted at having a moral obligation, one of the people I talked to about it got defensive and asked if I was suggesting they were immoral. Well, sort of. I can't deal with the cognitive dissonance, especially when these folks are pro-life that I am speaking about. 

And yes, they can be super caring! It's like a vast chasm in the brain that refuses to allow a connection. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I know two nurses in favor of these bills. (One is only about Covid; one is banning all vaccine mandates for all employers for all illnesses.)

Do they see any issue with nurses without Rubella vaccines taking care of pregnant women? That's a scary thought to me. People have been getting their kids vaccinated against rubella for ages in order to prevent them from passing it to pregnant women. Never seemed controversial before.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

I feel like mandates actually helps people get vaccinated and move on from perseverating about it all. I mentioned earlier that a guy on my husband's FB was constantly posting anti-vax stuff, until he had to be vaccinated for his work, and now he just doesn't do that any more. He's moved on from all that, posts about his hobbies etc like he used to. And that's less divisive. Having said that, there's overall less anti-vax feeling in Australia.

NSW at 222, 1069 for VIC. Today the news reported a decision about 5-11 was imminent, so today or tomorrow, surely? 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I feel like mandates actually helps people get vaccinated and move on from perseverating about it all. I mentioned earlier that a guy on my husband's FB was constantly posting anti-vax stuff, until he had to be vaccinated for his work, and now he just doesn't do that any more. He's moved on from all that, posts about his hobbies etc like he used to. And that's less divisive. Having said that, there's overall less anti-vax feeling in Australia.

NSW at 222, 1069 for VIC. Today the news reported a decision about 5-11 was imminent, so today or tomorrow, surely? 

I actually agree with that. Sometimes, people just kind of get stuck, and when they get the vaccine and don't, like, become magnetic, they move on. Mind you, they probably move on to the next conspiracy theory (it's a personality type, what can I say?) but it makes it a non-issue. 

I also think that sometimes, people are reading the conspiracy theories to rile themselves up because they feel uncertain... I remember reading a ton of anti-sleep training posts from people when I was contemplating sleep training my kids, because I was so stressed out, and I kind of wanted to talk myself out of it. (Spoiler alert: I failed to talk myself out of it, and I'm really glad.) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Do they see any issue with nurses without Rubella vaccines taking care of pregnant women? That's a scary thought to me. People have been getting their kids vaccinated against rubella for ages in order to prevent them from passing it to pregnant women. Never seemed controversial before.

Apparently not. One of the most ardent nurse supporters basically laughed at me for pointing this out. I promptly unfriended. 

• Sad 6

11 hours ago, wathe said:

Our hospital mandate was very successful.  We had quite a few hold out until the very last moment, but almost everyone complied when push came to shove.  I'm rounding numbers for privacy, buy of approx 3000 staff, 40 were terminated for non-compliance with the mandate, 10 staff were granted exemptions, and 20 extensions (in process of getting series done, but missed deadline).  We are more than 99% vaxed now.  Before the hospital mandate, we were only about 80%.  Exemptions must meet strict criteria and are not easy to get.  Those numbers are in line with with what I've seen published at hospitals elsewhere here and in the US (about 1% staffing loss).

ETA: The mandate give the up-to-now refusers an out; a chance to save face.  

Unfortunately, some of the hospitals in my state gave exemptions to pretty much everyone who requested, primarily on religious grounds. As did most state agencies. Overall, about 11% of state employees were granted exemptions (very few of them were medical) and 18% of state corrections employees got exemptions. Significantly smaller numbers either quit or were put on administrative leave.

Fortunately, at least a few of the major healthcare systems were very strict about exemptions, only granting a handful or two out of thousands of employees.