Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

2,297 cases, 11 deaths for Vic today after three days of trending downwards. 406 for NSW. And 5 deaths.  

Feeling kind of bleak about the news this morning.  The hope is that hospitalisation and death will decouple from the case numbers and that’s happening to some degree.

God, that's terrible 🙁

I honestly feel like I'm going a bit mad.

Still v concerned about Covid infections + aftermath in much of the population, but I swear everyone else (except OzSage) thinks it's over. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/new-zealand-reports-biggest-rise-covid-19-cases-six-weeks-2021-10-14/
“A total of 71 new local cases were reported in the country, all detected in Auckland, up from 55 a day earlier.

"Today's new case numbers are sobering but not unexpected because of where we are in the outbreak," Director of Public Health Caroline McElnay said.

About 2.49 million New Zealanders have been fully vaccinated, or about 59% of the eligible population, with officials promising to end lockdowns once 90% are vaccinated. Officials are looking to administer a record 100,000 doses in a single day during a mass immunisation drive on Saturday.

Even with the Delta outbreak, New Zealand has recorded only 4,472 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 28 deaths during the pandemic, far lower than many comparable countries.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

A brief report from CMAJ on covid, dementia and other neurological sequelae:

Research presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference suggests even mild cases of COVID-19 may be associated with cognitive deficits months after recovery.

One Argentinian study of 234 seniors who previously had COVID-19 found that more than half showed some degree of cognitive impairment months later. One in three had severe “dementia-like” impairments in memory, attention and executive function — a much higher proportion than the 5%–8% of seniors in the general population who have dementia at a given time.

“This could be the start of a dementia-related epidemic fueled by this latest coronavirus,” stated presenting author Dr. Gabriel de Erausquin of the Glenn Biggs Institute for Alzheimer’s and Neurodegenerative Diseases at UT Health San Antonio. Researchers will follow the study participants over the next three to five years to see if these problems resolve or worsen.

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/new-zealand-reports-biggest-rise-covid-19-cases-six-weeks-2021-10-14/
“A total of 71 new local cases were reported in the country, all detected in Auckland, up from 55 a day earlier.

"Today's new case numbers are sobering but not unexpected because of where we are in the outbreak," Director of Public Health Caroline McElnay said.

About 2.49 million New Zealanders have been fully vaccinated, or about 59% of the eligible population, with officials promising to end lockdowns once 90% are vaccinated. Officials are looking to administer a record 100,000 doses in a single day during a mass immunisation drive on Saturday.

Even with the Delta outbreak, New Zealand has recorded only 4,472 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 28 deaths during the pandemic, far lower than many comparable countries.”

Well, let's be clear that we are at 80.2% of the eligible population with one vaccine, and vaccines have only been available to people under 55 for about 6 weeks, and they initially reccommended a 6 week lag, so people are only now getting the second.  So they are expecting the 59% with 2 doses to get up to 80% within a month. The rural areas are lagging, Auckland and Wellington are over 90% eligible vaccinated with 1, expected to all go and get their second this month.  They have mandated that all teachers and health care workers plus staff in those locations must be fully vaccinated by Jan 1 so that will up the numbers. They are also implementing the vaccine certificate requirement for all large venues starting November 1, and are still deciding on restaurants and bars. And our certificate is not forgeable because we have a national health care system and the certificate will give the scanner a QR code to verify. Basically, we were off with a late start to vaccination because of India deciding not to export earlier in the year because of their own outbreak, so we are currently working as fast as we can to get to 90% double vaccinated by December. We currently at 105% of the planned rollout.

As for the outbreak, it is still contained in Auckland.  Luckily they caught it in two nearby localities before it spread, and we are not getting cases outside of Auckland. So ONE city of 1.6 million people with 71 cases today. They believe the r value is about 1.2 or 1.3, so they know it will grow, but they are preventing an r value of 6 through all the restrictions in Auckland. The rest of the country has only really 2 restrictions: masks required in public indoor areas, and gatherings are under 100. The problem with Auckland is that it is now in 3 gangs who aren't very forthcoming about who they have interacted with when talking to contact tracers. So the government doesn't feel like stricter lockdowns will help because the groups it is spreading in won't follow them. But on the good side, one of the chief gang members just got vaccinated on TV to encourage his gang to get it done. It is a business after all.

Basically, Auckland is holding it back, but barely. The rest of us know it is coming so are very motivated to get vaccinated. My suburb is now at 93%. I am feeling very positive.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

That’s why settings like that really, really need to be making sure anyone in contact with the elderly is vaccinated and masked. That’s the population that has the highest likelihood of a serious breakthrough infection. Given that the vast majority of them are vaccinated, it’s going to be expected that most of the infections and deaths there are vaccinated. Are they going to be boosting the elderly in Australia?

• Like 1

I think that one of the nursing homes in NSW all the staff were vaccinated and masked. But one of the staff  had a breakthrough case and no symptoms. 

They have also had breakthrough cases amongst nurses in hospitals. All fully vaxed and wearing ppe

Vulnerable people will soon be able to get a booster shot.. I think 6months after their last dose .

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

AY23 strain?

What do we know about it? Should we be worried?  Apparently it has pretty much replaced the original delta strain in Singapore.

AY.23 is a sublineage of Delta Plus, so it's not so much that a new variant that has replaced Delta, it's more like that's the version of Delta that is dominant there, like AY.4 is dominant in the US. Delta Plus = Delta + the K417N mutation that also exists in Beta and Gamma, and I think there are 29 AY sublineages so far (Wiki lists 28, but I recently saw a report about AY.29 in Japan.) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I think that one of the nursing homes in NSW all the staff were vaccinated and masked. But one of the staff  had a breakthrough case and no symptoms. 

They have also had breakthrough cases amongst nurses in hospitals. All fully vaxed and wearing ppe

Vulnerable people will soon be able to get a booster shot.. I think 6months after their last dose .

Not all vulnerable people. 

Only people with severe immune problems - and for them it's not a booster but a third dose of their first course of vaccination.

Anecdotally, that's also a mess with many eligible people so far unable to access the 3rd dose (being turned away at hubs, GPs).

Vulnerable people ( the old 1a category - healthcare, elderly) are already 6 months out or rapidly approaching, and there's zero word on boosters. In fact, disabled 1a people are not fully covered for their first vaccinations yet. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

AY23 strain?

What do we know about it? Should we be worried?  Apparently it has pretty much replaced the original delta strain in Singapore.

Couldn’t find any details about AY.23 other than this saying its 96% of cases

https://covid19dashboard.regeneron.com/?tab=Home&subTab=Asia

Australia has a AY.30 https://covid19dashboard.regeneron.com/?tab=Home&subTab=Oceania

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/covid-19-new-cases-oct-14-deaths-locally-transmitted-hospital-icu-moh-2243956
“SINGAPORE: A 23-year-old person became the youngest COVID-19 fatality in Singapore as 15 more people died from complications due to the virus. 

Singapore reported 2,932 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday (Oct 14), as the death toll from the coronavirus rose to 207“

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Not all vulnerable people. 

Only people with severe immune problems - and for them it's not a booster but a third dose of their first course of vaccination.

Anecdotally, that's also a mess with many eligible people so far unable to access the 3rd dose (being turned away at hubs, GPs).

Vulnerable people ( the old 1a category - healthcare, elderly) are already 6 months out or rapidly approaching, and there's zero word on boosters. In fact, disabled 1a people are not fully covered for their first vaccinations yet. 

The vaccine roll-out is an absolute mess isn't it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

AY.23 is a sublineage of Delta Plus, so it's not so much that a new variant that has replaced Delta, it's more like that's the version of Delta that is dominant there, like AY.4 is dominant in the US. Delta Plus = Delta + the K417N mutation that also exists in Beta and Gamma, and I think there are 29 AY sublineages so far (Wiki lists 28, but I recently saw a report about AY.29 in Japan.) 

So is the reason it’s replacing the original Delta version right place, right time, or some kind of competitive advantage?

Ok, so NSW border will open to international travellers without quarantine in just two weeks time?  The same time we ditch any mask mandates. 

Also..what? I can go to Melbourne from Sydney, but I can't visit DD in her home, but I could stay in a motel near them, and see them outdoors,  but they can't come here? 

I'm so confused. Covid is over in NSW, that's what every newspaper is telling me. 

Am I the crazy one still being cautious? 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Ok, so NSW border will open to international travellers without quarantine in just two weeks time?  The same time we ditch any mask mandates. 

Also..what? I can go to Melbourne from Sydney, but I can't visit DD in her home, but I could stay in a motel near them, and see them outdoors,  but they can't come here? 

I'm so confused. Covid is over in NSW, that's what every newspaper is telling me. 

Am I the crazy one still being cautious? 

You know you're not. 

Vic is opening borders?

44 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So is the reason it’s replacing the original Delta version right place, right time, or some kind of competitive advantage?

The K417N mutation that distinguishes Delta Plus from "original" Delta does seem to provide an advantage in terms of increased antibody evasion. It's believed to be one of the reasons that the Beta (South African) and Gamma (Brazilian) variants seemed to result in lower vaccine efficacy and more reinfections. Whether AY.23 in particular is any more infectious or evasive than any of the other 30 AY sublineages, I don't know. The US has a whole bunch of different Delta Plus sublineages, each of which may be more or less prevalent in a given area, but overall A.4 seems to be the predominant one here. But there was just a story in the news about an unvaccinated man in Nevada who had the "original" Delta, recovered (negative PCR test), and then got reinfected just three weeks later with AY.26. 

• Like 1

I keep seeing reports of people who are testing positive on home antigen tests (lateral flow) and then negative on PCR, now I’m seeing UK media is picking it up as a potential issue, but they’re not sure if it’s a bad batch of tests or what. This is specific to an area of the UK, but it made me think of some posters here who have recently expected to be positive but tested negative. Hopefully it’s just a very localized testing problem.
Lateral flow tests: Health chiefs probe ‘high number’ of positive rapid Covid tests followed by negative PCRs

eta: up with insomnia, and it looks like this has escalated in the last few hours: 

Covid PCR tests: at least 43,000 in UK may have had false negatives

Yikes. 

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KSera said:

I keep seeing reports of people who are testing positive on home antigen tests (lateral flow) and then negative on PCR, now I’m seeing UK media is picking it up as a potential issue, but they’re not sure if it’s a bad batch of tests or what. This is specific to an area of the UK, but it made me think of some posters here who have recently expected to be positive but tested negative. Hopefully it’s just a very localized testing problem.
Lateral flow tests: Health chiefs probe ‘high number’ of positive rapid Covid tests followed by negative PCRs

eta: up with insomnia, and it looks like this has escalated in the last few hours: 

Covid PCR tests: at least 43,000 in UK may have had false negatives

Yikes. 

That's interesting. Around here it is the opposite. I know quite a few people who had negative rapid/in-home tests but positive PCR tests. 

Today is NZ's vaxathon. 🙂 The government is trying to get the numbers up from 82% to 90%, so the entire country is focused today on just this one thing. All major political parties are out campaigning for it, plus athletes, actors, general famous people, Māori, etc.  And  then all the businesses are giving away free stuff - so KFC is vaccinating and giving away free chicken. And AirNZ is vaccinating in their airplanes, etc. They are even running an old-fashioned telethon on TV, and one on Māori TV too. So far the numbers are awesome.

1.7% of the ENTIRE population of NZ has shown up to get vaccinated by 2pm, and we have 5 hours to go!  

2:45pm we are at 1.9%! 

Apparently all the digital signs on all the highways all over the country are advertising to go get vaccinated. And there are people on the side of the road with signs offering free food and party hats.  LOL.

3:10pm we just hit 2%!

A gardening store is giving vaccines with a tomato plant to take home. 🙂

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

That, Ruth, is just about unimaginable.

I'm sort of staring at your post and drooling.

I've been watching the vaxathon TV live on and off today, and they are highlighting the baker bringing down the donuts to give away, and the Pacifica community teaching people how to dance, and Taika Waititi offering anyone vaccinated today a chance as an extra in his next movie. All the mayors, MPs, CEOs of all parties are out promoting events. The vaxi taxis and jabin wagons have driven out to the rural areas. It is just a party all over the country. 

And so far there is only one antivax protest nationwide that they are reporting but only in the small print. All the News channels and websites are just running pro-vaccine articles all day.

4:15 we are at 2.2% of the entire population of NZ showing up to get vaccinated.

5pm we are at 2.4%!!

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Today is NZ's vaxathon. 🙂 The government is trying to get the numbers up from 82% to 90%, so the entire country is focused today on just this one thing. All major political parties are out campaigning for it, plus athletes, actors, general famous people, Māori, etc.  And  then all the businesses are giving away free stuff - so KFC is vaccinating and giving away free chicken. And AirNZ is vaccinating in their airplanes, etc. They are even running an old-fashioned telethon on TV, and one on Māori TV too. So far the numbers are awesome.

1.7% of the ENTIRE population of NZ has shown up to get vaccinated by 2pm, and we have 5 hours to go!  

2:45pm we are at 1.9%! 

Apparently all the digital signs on all the highways all over the country are advertising to go get vaccinated. And there are people on the side of the road with signs offering free food and party hats.  LOL.

3:10pm we just hit 2%!

A gardening store is giving vaccines with a tomato plant to take home. 🙂

That is so fabulous. Go NZ!!

It really seems like the places with a sense of 'we're in this together' are the ones doing well.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

Today is NZ's vaxathon.

That sounds so awesome and fun.

Sad news in Australia - the first child to pass with Covid, a 15yr old in Victoria.

319 cases in NSW, 20 in ACT, 1993 in Victoria. 0 elsewhere. A snap lockdown in Tas because a belligerent anti-masker anti-vaxxer with Covid escaped quarantine and wandered around. He's refused to say where he went.

We got a letter from our school - must return unless have a dr certificate, and the NSW is 'investigating' the ventilation situation. We have agreed we won't send them back immediately. 44 schools have closed this week due to Covid - and school isn't even officially back yet. 

• Sad 12

24 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Sad news in Australia - the first child to pass with Covid, a 15yr old in Victoria.

319 cases in NSW, 20 in ACT, 1993 in Victoria. 0 elsewhere. A snap lockdown in Tas because a belligerent anti-masker anti-vaxxer with Covid escaped quarantine and wandered around. He's refused to say where he went.

We got a letter from our school - must return unless have a dr certificate, and the NSW is 'investigating' the ventilation situation. We have agreed we won't send them back immediately. 44 schools have closed this week due to Covid - and school isn't even officially back yet. 

Oh man 😞

Good decision on keeping the kids home I think. It’s just not worth it yet.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I've been watching the vaxathon TV live on and off today, and they are highlighting the baker bringing down the donuts to give away, and the Pacifica community teaching people how to dance, and Taika Waititi offering anyone vaccinated today a chance as an extra in his next movie. All the mayors, MPs, CEOs of all parties are out promoting events. The vaxi taxis and jabin wagons have driven out to the rural areas. It is just a party all over the country. 

And so far there is only one antivax protest nationwide that they are reporting but only in the small print. All the News channels and websites are just running pro-vaccine articles all day.

4:15 we are at 2.2% of the entire population of NZ showing up to get vaccinated.

5pm we are at 2.4%!!

What an awesome idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

There's a grudging note somewhere on the Depts info that if your child doesn't return to school, some basic resources might be provided for them - I think they know some families are not going to send their children back next week. 

5 hours ago, lewelma said:

Today is NZ's vaxathon. 🙂 

We finished the night with 2.6% of the entire population, and 3.2% of the eligible population (>12yo) that showed up today to get vaccinated. A very good increase!

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lewelma said:

We finished the night with 2.6% of the entire population, and 3.2% of the eligible population (>12yo) that showed up today to get vaccinated. A very good increase!

Fantastic news!

So I have been thinking that if the kids vaccine comes out and we get good coverage (likely I'd say in NZ/Australia at least), that would surely help reduce the overall risk of covid circulating, right? As in, it could really help bring the risk of covid down significantly, even when we do open up internationally?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Fantastic news!

So I have been thinking that if the kids vaccine comes out and we get good coverage (likely I'd say in NZ/Australia at least), that would surely help reduce the overall risk of covid circulating, right? As in, it could really help bring the risk of covid down significantly, even when we do open up internationally?

Absolutely. the idea is to make it hard for the virus to spread. The more vaccinated people around an infected person, the better. Those who are getting breakthrough infections seem to be catching it mostly from exposure to unvaccinated people. So if everyone is vaccinated, much less spread. Right now, with kids unvaccinated, we can't accomplish that in most places, because kids will and do get together unmasked. 

• Like 5

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8201243/#__ffn_sectitle

In this study, a cohort of 117 COVID-19 survivors (post-COVID-19) and 144 non-infected volunteers (COVID-19-free) was analyzed using pyrosequencing of defined CpG islands previously identified as suitable for biological age determination. The results show a consistent biological age increase in the post-COVID-19 population, determining a DeltaAge acceleration of 10.45 ± 7.29 years (+5.25 years above the range of normality) compared with 3.68 ± 8.17 years for the COVID-19-free population (p < 0.0001). A significant telomere shortening parallels this finding in the post-COVID-19 cohort compared with COVID-19-free subjects (p < 0.0001). Additionally, ACE2 expression was decreased in post-COVID-19 patients, compared with the COVID-19-free population, while DPP-4 did not change. In light of these observations, we hypothesize that some epigenetic alterations are associated with the post-COVID-19 condition, particularly in younger patients (< 60 years).

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8201243/#__ffn_sectitle

In this study, a cohort of 117 COVID-19 survivors (post-COVID-19) and 144 non-infected volunteers (COVID-19-free) was analyzed using pyrosequencing of defined CpG islands previously identified as suitable for biological age determination. The results show a consistent biological age increase in the post-COVID-19 population, determining a DeltaAge acceleration of 10.45 ± 7.29 years (+5.25 years above the range of normality) compared with 3.68 ± 8.17 years for the COVID-19-free population (p < 0.0001). A significant telomere shortening parallels this finding in the post-COVID-19 cohort compared with COVID-19-free subjects (p < 0.0001). Additionally, ACE2 expression was decreased in post-COVID-19 patients, compared with the COVID-19-free population, while DPP-4 did not change. In light of these observations, we hypothesize that some epigenetic alterations are associated with the post-COVID-19 condition, particularly in younger patients (< 60 years).

Just one more reason I don't want it.

• Like 3

80% of people in NSW are double vaccinated. An incredible 99% of those in the ACT (Canberra) have one dose - 78% fully. And 70% fully vaccinated in Victoria which is fantastic. There are still pockets where it's low, though, both rural and city areas, so it's reaching those areas that's important. 

• Like 10

I don’t know how much others are interested in how the rest of the world is faring at all still?  Russia is dealing with biggest numbers and deaths on record officially with 998 deaths today.  China has an outbreak in an area bordering Myanmar, difficult to know of course with China how bad it is.  Must admit every outbreak feels like the chance for yet another variant to pop up.  I have seen a few mentions about UK cases being on the way up again but not sure how accurate that is.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I don’t know how much others are interested in how the rest of the world is faring at all still?  Russia is dealing with biggest numbers and deaths on record officially with 998 deaths today.  China has an outbreak in an area bordering Myanmar, difficult to know of course with China how bad it is.  Must admit every outbreak feels like the chance for yet another variant to pop up.  I have seen a few mentions about UK cases being on the way up again but not sure how accurate that is.

I still follow what is going on around the world and appreciate the posts.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Must admit every outbreak feels like the chance for yet another variant to pop up.

I was hoping to reach a point where transmission was low enough before that happened, but it’s  becoming an increasing concern. Someone posed a question yesterday about what would happen with the vax hesitant if this mutates to something with a 20-30% fatality rate. That’s a horrifying thought and at this point, I honestly have no idea how many would stampede to the vax site and how many would continue to dig in their heels and die for the right not to vaccinate. Scary thought. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have seen a few mentions about UK cases being on the way up again but not sure how accurate that is.

That is accurate, cases are really high and still trending upwards. So far hospitalizations and deaths have remained lower, since nearly 80% of the adult population is fully vaxed, but those may go up as immunity continues to wane. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.46.49 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was wondering if those of you from Australia and New Zealand could comment on if there are reports of serious side effects etc from the vaccines now that your countries are vaccinating so many people so quickly. In the initial stages of the vaccination program in Australia some of you seemed to be reporting a possible vaccine related death quite frequently, but I had not seen that for a while.

I believe the vaccines to be very safe from what I’ve read, and seen myself, but of course the rumors swirl around on social media, and I talk to vaccine hesitant people who believe them. I suggested to a couple of people at work, that if they wanted to know the truth, they should keep up with how things are going in New Zealand, as they are vaccinating so many.

• Like 1

It is impossible to know. It isn't widely reported.

I have heard that an emergancy department  at a major hospital in Melbourne is having between 35 to 45 people per hour turning up with reactions, but the majority are just after reassurance that they are OK. After having the triage nurses run some tests most go home happy that it is within the range if normal. 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TCB said:

I was wondering if those of you from Australia and New Zealand could comment on if there are reports of serious side effects etc from the vaccines now that your countries are vaccinating so many people so quickly. In the initial stages of the vaccination program in Australia some of you seemed to be reporting a possible vaccine related death quite frequently, but I had not seen that for a while.

I believe the vaccines to be very safe from what I’ve read, and seen myself, but of course the rumors swirl around on social media, and I talk to vaccine hesitant people who believe them. I suggested to a couple of people at work, that if they wanted to know the truth, they should keep up with how things are going in New Zealand, as they are vaccinating so many.

Serious side effects are extremely rare. I forget what the rates are - much less than the same risk of blood clotting due to Covid.

There was an article a little while ago talking about how we're doing better than the UK in dealing with severe AZ-related side effects, mostly just to do with patient and health care education. People come in earlier with headache/abdominal pain; potential complications recognized/treated earlier. 

Reports, though, have probably dropped off due to greater use of Pfizer. People definitely have died as a result of their AZ vaccination.