Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

2,232 cases and 11 deaths for Vic.  Not great numbers for first day of reduced restrictions 😕 I really hope we’re not making a massive mistake here.

372 for NSW.

Yeah I saw the numbers are up - a fair bit, too. I feel like Vic might have held out longer if not for NSW. And the message seems to be 'doesn't matter because vaccinated' - but not only are a lot of people unvaccinated - either anti-vax, too young, or medical reasons - but you can still get long covid if you're a breakthrough vaccinated case. I mean we're definitely in a better place than last year, but still.

I can think of ten anti-vaxxers in my little local town, three of whom are parents of kids at school. They're deluded but I would still be very sad if they got sick. They wouldn't test, either, so I bet the actual numbers are higher - anything less than being majorly ill wouldn't get picked up. 

• Like 2

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-021-00926-1

Possible explanation for Covid neurological symptoms - a bit sciencey for me to get my head around this morning.

Discussion

In many patients with COVID-19, neurological and psychiatric symptoms occur during the acute disease and determine the post-acute syndrome4. Here, we show microvascular pathology in the brains of SARS-CoV-2-infected patients that likely explains signs and symptoms, although systemic effects, including respiratory failure and cytokine release, may contribute to CNS symptoms. Furthermore, we propose a mechanism by which SARS-CoV-2 infection compromises brain endothelial function, damages the BBB and reduces CNS perfusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Queensland have a bit of a situation as a guy from a Melbourne was up there for ten days while infectious - not sure how he got through yet.  He’s really unwell so they haven’t been able to get clear information from him as he can’t talk much.  He’s an Uber driver and linked to trucking possibly and hasn’t been using QR codes so they’re trying to figure out where he’s been.

• Sad 3

36 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Queensland have a bit of a situation as a guy from a Melbourne was up there for ten days while infectious - not sure how he got through yet.  He’s really unwell so they haven’t been able to get clear information from him as he can’t talk much.  He’s an Uber driver and linked to trucking possibly and hasn’t been using QR codes so they’re trying to figure out where he’s been.

This is a bit of a worry.  I feel like our contact tracers up here are pretty amazing. But without the info of this guy's movements over the past 10 days, there's not much they can do.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

copied from NZ Herald:

129 cases.

Case numbers have now been hopping around in recent days, with 94 cases on Tuesday and 102 cases on Thursday. Experts are tipping numbers to continue to grow.

With a r value of 1.2 or 1.3, they said the numbers would double every 10 days. They are aiming for the 90% double vaccinated within 1 month. First vaccines in Auckland are at 88% I think, so they think they can make it. Once Auckland hits 90% double vax, they will reduce restrictions, but keep the strict border until the rest of the country catches up. Right now there is still no covid at all in the bottom half of the North Island and none in the South Island. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 4

NSW 332 new cases, Vic 1750 cases. Lots of schools closed, mostly regional primary schools. Majority of new cases in NSW are under 12 yr olds, due to lack of vaccine. 

82% vax in NSW, above 16+ yrs, 72% vax in VIC, above 16+ yrs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

57 minutes ago, bookbard said:

NSW 332 new cases, Vic 1750 cases. Lots of schools closed, mostly regional primary schools. Majority of new cases in NSW are under 12 yr olds, due to lack of vaccine. 

82% vax in NSW, above 16+ yrs, 72% vax in VIC, above 16+ yrs. 

The next town over from me has had 2 cases in the last 2 days in a primary school. Very strangely they have only the 2 classes closed and all the rest of the students have been told they have to keep going. My sister has 3 kids at that school. Student numbers for the whole school are  around 60 I think

People are finding it alarming that just a few weeks ago everthi g shut down at just one case, but now it is hard to find exactly how many cases there arein a area and everything is opening up quickly just as numbers are increasing.  It is confusing and alarming 

• Sad 5

44 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

It is confusing and alarming 

Yes, I had a lady saying that today - less information makes everything more alarming. None of us quite sure about the rules, numbers and so on. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

People are finding it alarming that just a few weeks ago everthing shut down at just one case, but now it is hard to find exactly how many cases there are in a area and everything is opening up quickly just as numbers are increasing.  It is confusing and alarming 

That was what happened when the Singapore govt declared that covid is endemic a few months ago.  Now there is Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) so more people can travel but dining is restricted to two per group and people have to be vaccinated to enter malls.

image.thumb.png.804c8162f61621f8d8dd8f3162ed0a59.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The next town over from me has had 2 cases in the last 2 days in a primary school. Very strangely they have only the 2 classes closed and all the rest of the students have been told they have to keep going. My sister has 3 kids at that school. Student numbers for the whole school are  around 60 I think

People are finding it alarming that just a few weeks ago everthi g shut down at just one case, but now it is hard to find exactly how many cases there are in an area and everything is opening up quickly just as numbers are increasing.  It is confusing and alarming 

quoting myself

now the school is closed. it had 6 new cases today across multiple grades

• Sad 1

The premier is becoming more and more nonsensical.  People have to get double vax by end of November, people are, in record numbers. Over 90%have had first dose in some regional areas it is over 95%. Today he announced that people are not allowed to go to the shops for anything (not sure but I don’t think this includes food , but I cannot find clarification) after this Friday if they are not double vexed anywhere in the state…….. how does that make any sense at all. People are getting it as fast as they can already. It isn’t even 3 weeks since people had to have their first dose 

full of confusion and despair it isn’t making any sense

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

296 cases for NSW and 4 deaths, 1935 cases for VIC and 11 deaths. 

Melissa in Australia, is he talking about shops like Big W, cafes etc? In NSW essential services such as food shops, post offices, banks etc are open to all but cafes, clothes stores etc you have to be vaccinated. That  has been hard on rural NSW too as some people are still waiting on 2nd AZ. My husband is getting his second this week, but that means it's only 8 weeks apart not 12 weeks - cuts the effectiveness down a fair bit. There are probably a fair few in this situation, and I hope they allow a Pfizer booster for people with AZ sooner than later to account for that. 

10 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Quote ”Mr Andrews said you have to be vaccinated to go shopping, no matter what you buy”

It's under the heading 'non essential' though - so I'd assume it's not food etc. Hopefully they make it clearer before the end of the week. 

Looks like Tasmania dodged a bullet with that weird escapee - still 0 cases. ACT had 9 cases today which is quite low. No other states/territories had any cases. Overall vaccination rate above 12yrs is 85% first dose, 70% second dose. Big variations between states though with NT lowest and ACT highest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

It's not chemists or supermarkets - it's discretionary shopping - online or click and collect only option for things like clothes etc. 

However, if it's anything like NSW, nobody checks vax status anyway. At least not around here. 

thanks

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

nd now the state government has changed its mind and said that the restrictions on shopping if not double dosed will happen AFTER the later in  nov date for everyone to get vaccinated, not this friday.. 

this is why everyone is so anxious and confused. they announce something  at a press conference then change their mind a few hours later. it is awful

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-24/covid-updates-victoria-queensland-nsw-cases-vaccine/100563082

Clarification on vaccines for Victorian retail patrons

If you were listening to the Victorian press conference earlier, you would have heard Health Minister Martin Foley and Premier Daniel Andrews saying that all staff and patrons at non-essential retail stores would have to be vaccinated from this Friday.

The government has just clarified that this rule will not apply to all staff and shoppers until the following stage of the roadmap, which is expected to be from late November.

Mr Foley suggested there would be a “transition” period before all retail staff would need to be vaccinated.

If we get more clarity from the government about when all staff will need to have both doses, we will let you know.

Edited by Melissa in Australia

well the mandates aren't law and once the state of emergency ends the chief health officer won't have authority to write mandates. eg, the Open Premises Direction is only in force from 23 Oct - 18 Nov (when the monthly SOE renewal needs to be done)

What happens with all this after Dec (when the SOE properly runs out) depends on what is contained in the reported 'pandemic plan' bill which will need to be passed by parliament. No one knows much about it yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

nd now the state government has changed its mind and said that the restrictions on shopping if not double dosed will happen AFTER the later in  nov date for everyone to get vaccinated, not this friday.. 

this is why everyone is so anxious and confused. they announce something  at a press conference then change their mind a few hours later. it is awful

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-24/covid-updates-victoria-queensland-nsw-cases-vaccine/100563082

Clarification on vaccines for Victorian retail patrons

If you were listening to the Victorian press conference earlier, you would have heard Health Minister Martin Foley and Premier Daniel Andrews saying that all staff and patrons at non-essential retail stores would have to be vaccinated from this Friday.

The government has just clarified that this rule will not apply to all staff and shoppers until the following stage of the roadmap, which is expected to be from late November.

Mr Foley suggested there would be a “transition” period before all retail staff would need to be vaccinated.

If we get more clarity from the government about when all staff will need to have both doses, we will let you know.

It does all seem to be a bit of a shambles.  Such a big pivot.  Hopefully you get some more consistent messaging soon.

• Like 1

Automatic translation 

The Municipality of Belém, through Sesma, warns that a Delta subvariant (AY.33), which is already circulating in Belém, may not be detected by rapid tests and by standard RT-qPCR protocols, and that anyone with symptoms compatible with COVID-19+ should be advised to maintain social isolation for 14 days.
 Despite the current stability in the number of COVID-19 cases, Sesma determines that the reporting units are attentive to the care of suspected COVID-19 cases, carrying out IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION +

• Sad 1

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2785388

Cognitive function after Covid

In this study, we found a relatively high frequency of cognitive impairment several months after patients contracted COVID-19. Impairments in executive functioning, processing speed, category fluency, memory encoding, and recall were predominant among hospitalized patients. The relative sparing of memory recognition in the context of impaired encoding and recall suggests an executive pattern. This pattern is consistent with early reports describing a dysexecutive syndrome after COVID-194 and has considerable implications for occupational, psychological, and functional outcomes. It is well known that certain populations (eg, older adults) may be particularly susceptible to cognitive impairment after critical illness5; however, in the relatively young cohort in the present study, a substantial proportion exhibited cognitive dysfunction several months after recovering from COVID-19. The findings of this study are generally consistent with those of research on other viruses (eg, influenza).6

Limitations of this study include a potential sampling bias, as some participants may have presented to Mount Sinai Health System because of health concerns. Future studies should investigate long-term post–COVID-19 cognitive trajectories and the association with neuroimaging findings to assess potential mechanisms.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/fauci-says-u-s-on-track-to-start-vaccinating-kids-aged-5-to-11-by-november-as-fda-advisers-prepare-to-meet-on-the-matter-11635172684
“WASHINGTON, Oct 24 (Reuters) - Vaccines for kids between the ages of 5 and 11 will likely be available in the first half of November, top U.S. infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said on Sunday, predicting a timetable that could see many kids getting fully vaccinated before the end of the year.

"If all goes well, and we get the regulatory approval and the recommendation from the CDC, it's entirely possible if not very likely that vaccines will be available for children from 5 to 11 within the first week or two of November," Fauci said in an interview with ABC's This Week.

I'll feel a lot better about vaccines for the under 12 set once the FDA finally meets on it. I have this fear that something else will hold it up, and any hold up at all will leave a lot of kids who are avidly awaiting the vaccine unprotected over the upcoming Winter break.  

I am failing to see the rush to get  children under 11 vaccinated. If everyone over 12 is vaccinated and those under 11 have only very mild covid why give them a vaccine that doesn't have benifits outweighing side effects for that age group. 

The whole push for the vaccine is that the negative side effects of it are outweighed by the benifits for older age groups. 

• Like 5

Because once the disease takes hold in an unvaccinated population - say, children - it spreads into other age groups for whom vaccines have less efficacy. As seen recently in the UK. 

Also - some kids DO get very sick. Some die. Some kids get post Covid syndromes. We also don't know what else is a long term effect on organs incl brain  of Covid infection in children. So avoiding the disease seems sensible. 

I hope eventually it will be added to the childhood schedule so I can go back to working with children in person. I hope it will protect the vulnerable children I know, who are very likely to react poorly to a Covid infection.

Vaccinations are an effective tool for public and individual health, and there's a limit to which I personally can tolerate anti vaccination stances. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

We also don't know what else is a long term effect on organs incl brain  of Covid infection in children. So avoiding the disease seems sensible. 

Yes. In addition to the public health ramifications (I wouldn't bring my unvaccinated kids around my elderly parents except outdoors for example), my concern about possible unknown long term complications of covid infection is way, way higher than the same for the vaccine. There's no reason to think a vaccine (which clears the body pretty quickly) would have any as yet unseen long term effects, while there's plenty of precedent for diseases to have long term effects that take a long time to show up. And we already know of some of those with covid. I just don't want to take the gamble that this brand new disease is not any risk to my kids. I feel much safer with the vaccine that way.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am failing to see the rush to get  children under 11 vaccinated. If everyone over 12 is vaccinated and those under 11 have only very mild covid why give them a vaccine that doesn't have benifits outweighing side effects for that age group. 

The whole push for the vaccine is that the negative side effects of it are outweighed by the benifits for older age groups. 

For me it’s because of concerns over long term damage both potential lung scarring and cognitive effects, particularly the recent suggestions about executive function stuff.  No one in my family has capacity to spare in that department. We have very little long term data on what impacts the virus may have down the track but there is evidence of damage sometime in even mild or asymptomatic cases.  I don’t want to take that risk for my kids.

plus it’s not 100pc true that it’s always mild.  It has something like a 2pc hospitalisation rate. Some kids die. 

• Like 10

Looks like South Australia is opening their borders around 23 Nov. 

I *think* NSW is allowing people from Sydney into regional areas from Nov 1. 

I still don't know when/whether people from NSW can go to and from Vic without quarantine? I really want to visit a family member with a terminal diagnosis who lives in a regional area of Vic but have no clue when it's going to be possible. I won't be able to stay with them, so I am scouting out accommodation but have no idea when to book.

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

Department of Ed denied my leave request, and won't let me take sick leave. Unless I take leave without pay, I'll have to go in. 

Oh that's so frustrating. How is your school set up for doing stuff outdoors?

• Like 1

Just now, bookbard said:

There's not enough outdoor space for the whole school. I was in last week with just K and 1, and there's room for them, but even so, it's not set up for them to be out all day. 

Most kids (95%+) were unmasked, and the ventilation was clearly sub par. 

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Looks like South Australia is opening their borders around 23 Nov. 

I *think* NSW is allowing people from Sydney into regional areas from Nov 1. 

I still don't know when/whether people from NSW can go to and from Vic without quarantine? I really want to visit a family member with a terminal diagnosis who lives in a regional area of Vic but have no clue when it's going to be possible. I won't be able to stay with them, so I am scouting out accommodation but have no idea when to book.

Yes plus reducing quarantine time to 7 days.  Really hope they make a decision on vaccines for 5-11s and make boosters available.  I’m thinking we will have a quiet summer.