Menu

Survived hysterectomy

Terabith

Thank you for prayers.  So far it seems like a best case scenario.  Basically an overgrown cyst.  She told my husband no signs of cancer.  Left an ovary.  Hopefully trauma doesn’t turn it off.  I’ve walked 3-4 laps of the hospital block but still feel wonky and dizzy, probably from anesthesia.  Pain is under control so far but may get worse as spinal wears off.  Interestingly, surgery team was all women. Have to fart and/ or poop to go home.  No bowel sounds yet.  Prayers and thoughts still appreciated.  Still very sad about loss of uterus.  I know that is silly but it is what it is.  

• Like 35

Hoping to talk to surgeon this morning and get answers straight from her.  Didn’t sleep at all well, but have walked the halls twice now and am sitting in a chair.  I feel kinda feverish and wonky, though temp is in normal range (around 99).  But I’m on Tylenol and toradol (heavy duty ibuprofen), and temp is usually much lower in early morning.  So hopefully no infection.  Could easily be inflammation or anesthesia or hormonal.  Not sure how carefully scales are calibrated but weight is eight pounds less than yesterday.  It was a huge cyst.  Have to hear from pathology definitively but surgeon told husband it was a best case scenario and she left other ovary, although there was one situation she had said it might be that was possibly but probably not cancer and if it came back from pathology would have to go in later and take out other ovary laparoscopically.  

You say your head doesn’t feel quite right. Yes, anesthesia takes awhile to get out of few system. But it sounds like you’re not on heavy painkillers so that should make your head clearer. 

Make sure you’re communicating how you feel dizzy and somewhat off to the nurses and doctor. You’re in the hospital and this is the opportunity to make sure you’re in good shape before they send you home. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, talked to resident.  She said here till tomorrow afternoon at least.  Sigh.  Also said tumor was 20 pounds.  Have been walking and doing breathing exercises.  Sitting in a chair.  Just would really like to sleep.  

20 pounds???  Holy cow! I was thinking of a huge tumor as being the size of a baseball or something. WOW! 

Thank goodness the surgery is over. Praying for the pathology reports to show that everything was benign.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

My mother is being weird and sending me messages about how I don’t need birth control anymore.  Which, yeah.  Kinda sad about that.  She’s being weird. 

She probably knows you feel sad and is trying to look at the bright side, to try to cheer you up. 

It’s so hard to know the right thing to say.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Also said tumor was 20 pounds

Wow! Well that should definitely help having that out.

I'm sorry your mom is being insensitive about your feelings. It's definitely a loss and permanent and a part of you. Maybe have some kind of ceremony or plant a tree or something? 

If you don't bounce back well after all these meds, maybe look at your MTHFR status. They may have depleted your vitamins or something.

Surgeon came by and said if I'm still doing okay by late afternoon, I can go home this evening.  So that's really good news.  Might be able to sleep.  Having more pain than yesterday, but she said that's to be expected.  Pondering breaking down and taking a pain pill.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, talked to resident.  She said here till tomorrow afternoon at least.  Sigh.  Also said tumor was 20 pounds.  Have been walking and doing breathing exercises.  Sitting in a chair.  Just would really like to sleep.  

Wow!  After your recovery I hope you feel amazing!

52 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Surgeon came by and said if I'm still doing okay by late afternoon, I can go home this evening.  So that's really good news.  Might be able to sleep.  Having more pain than yesterday, but she said that's to be expected.  Pondering breaking down and taking a pain pill.  

I hate taking pain medicine, but IME it is better to stay ahead of the pain.  I would not take narcotics, but I would take something.

• Like 2

Firstly, this is all wonderful news. Secondly, it's not silly to be sad about your uterus. In fact, I think that's an entirely fitting feeling. (((HUGS)))

Lastly, DO stay ahead of the pain. Take something. The better your pain management, the more you will move, the faster you will recover.

More ((((hugs))))

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I was already taking Tylenol and toradol (heavy duty ibuprofen).  Narcotic was kind of only thing left on list. 

(((Terabith)))

I think that only you can make that decision.  I personally am afraid of narcotics because I have a chronic pain condition.  I refuse to take narcotics because I know that my body would begin to rely on them.

Your situation is completely different.  Maybe talk with the next nurse or doctor that comes in and let them help you make a decision.  They can assess your pain level better than we can.

Oh, I already took it.  Surgeon recommended it, and she’s pretty conservative.  But they cut through all the layers of skin, muscle, and fat from pubic bone to three inches above belly button, removed organs, and checked my intestines for tumors before putting them back.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2

Yeah, I’m trying to be positive and everything,  but I’m feeling pretty miserable today.  Taking oxy and 1000 mg of Tylenol every six hours and 800 mg of ibuprofen every six hours, staggered.  Which means it’s hard to take my temperature unmedicates.  Will contact her office to ask about refills.  Hopefully today will be last day I need them around clock.  May rest more today.  I’ll let you know if she says no.  Just tired and in a lot of pain.  Sleep so much better than hospital.  

• Like 3