Menu

Specific Memories from songs-what are yours?

DawnM

I don't know what prompted me to turn on 70s music this morning, but I did.  The song "Hot Stuff" by Donna Sommer came on.

I remember I went out dancing with my friends for my birthday, it was not the 70s, it was probably early 90s, but we were all in our young to mid 20s and having fun (no dating just a group of guys and girls as friends hanging out) and two of the guys thought it would be hilarious to go over to the DJ and tell him to announce that it was Dawn's birthday and she requested Hot Stuff and for him to then play it.

I have not thought about that night in a very long time.  

What songs bring back specific memories for you?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Songs by REO Speedwagon and Foreigner from the mid-eighties always remind me of riding in my friend, Paul’s, car on a beautiful day in May. Paul was my crush that never really got off the ground at the time; a few kisses and a fair amount of time doing things like riding around in his car and watching MTV, but then he met my at-the-time best friend and she snagged him. Hurt me. 

But anyway, yes, those songs remind me of riding with the windows down on a beautiful day in May, me watching Paul’s beautiful golden hair blowing around. 🙂 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

Songs by REO Speedwagon and Foreigner from the mid-eighties always remind me of riding in my friend, Paul’s, car on a beautiful day in May. Paul was my crush that never really got off the ground at the time; a few kisses and a fair amount of time doing things like riding around in his car and watching MTV, but then he met my at-the-time best friend and she snagged him. Hurt me. 

But anyway, yes, those songs remind me of riding with the windows down on a beautiful day in May, me watching Paul’s beautiful golden hair blowing around. 🙂 

My dance partner boy had beautiful blond, flowing hair, too! 

• Like 1

Madonna's  Crazy for You always takes me back to one of the earlier dates between DH & I; our church youth group all went out to play miniature golf, and DH & I were just in that early flirty beginning to date phase and that song came on the speakers at the putt-putt golf place. We did a lot of smiling and flirting and singing along and being embarrassed as only 2 teenagers too shy to admit real feelings can be......

lots more, as well, but that one's the most vivid. Some had different memories attached at one point, but most songs have morphed to having a DH memory at this point; there's one song that makes me think of the one main ex before DH (Under the Bridge, by......I have no idea....)(that may or may not even be the actual name of the song); not that it was playing at any point during a memory, but the ex loved that song and it just always reminds me of a conversation he & I had about it. 

The Moulin Rouge version of Your Song takes me back to my youngest as a newborn; that line "how wonderful life is, now you're in the world" was sort of my theme for him, and it's the one song that would calm him if he was screaming in the car. Which, if we were in the car, he was screaming. We had to play this song, loudly, on repeat. 

Ring of Fire always calls to mind an image of my middle son, then aged 5 or so, "playing" it on guitar and singing along. He *adored* Johnny Cash and this song in particular. Oh my word, cutest.thing.ever. We have it on video and I just absolutely adore it. 

the Spider Man theme song....same DS would play it on repeat at home. Over and over and over and over again. Oh my. Later he graduated to Final Countdown. Oye. He has better taste in music now, thank goodness. 

Oldest doesn't really have any songs associated....he's not a music lover/listener. Which is very odd to me.  DH & I, on the other hand....I made an entire playlist to celebrate our anniversary one year and tell our story in music. So, yea, lots of songs with very specific memories for me. 

• Like 1

Most of you have probably never heard of our Canadian musicians. I have so many memories of Kim Mitchell, "Patio Lanterns" and "Go for a Soda,"  or Bryan Adams, "Summer of '69."  I think Trooper, "Boys in the Bright White Sports Car" was the first album I purchased with my own money. 

Celine Dion was the first musician I bought an album in French. She was a teenager and it was her first album.

My sister and I listened to the Scottish band, Bay City Rollers, "Saturday Night" a million times.  

Edited by wintermom

Summer of 1969, My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder.

When I hear it I can smell and feel the New Jersey summer air. That August, we moved to Florida. I've only been back to NJ in summer once since then, yet I can instantly be brought back when I hear My Cherie Amour.

ETA: Not the song Summer of '69, but the actual summer of '69. 🙂 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Journey's song Open Arms.

I was at a party at a friend's house. A boy and I danced out on the deck by ourselves in a soft, misty rain. We never dated, but for some reason, I always think about that when I hear the song. 

I was thinking about that song this morning.  My first high school boyfriend and I had this as "our song."  He currently lives in Tokyo with his boyfriend, so, we weren't meant to be, but.....

• Haha 2

Oh, I have so many song memories...We had a jukebox in our basement when I was about 3 or 4 y.o., and I remember playing "You're Sixteen" by Ringo Starr over and over and dancing around to it. I still love Ringo all these years later. 🙂

Then I remember being at a sleepover when I was about 8 y.o. and one of the other girls brought the 45 record of "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed" by Barbara Mandrell. We were all a little shocked and were giggling because we thought that song title was pretty risqué.:laugh:

The Night Chicago Died

When I was about 12 or 13 my neighbor/best guy friend had a party. It was so awkward, until we played music and started dancing. Jon Rencivitz was unforgettable as he swung his arms and clapped his hands. I even remember journaling about it--"...then we started dancing and it was so much fun!" 

Aubrey by Bread

I met my future husband at a youth conference in Florida. We got close, by the campfire, to just about every song by Bread. (blush)

Open Arms by Journey

Freshman year. 16 girls sharing 4 bed- rooms,  a bathroom and a common area in the Towers of Ohio State. Our red-headed model of a suitemate bursting thru the study lounge door, arms flung wide, "and now I ruuuuun to you, with Ooopen Arms...." (She later dated the singer from Night Ranger. I think they married but not sure)

Africa by Toto

My crush, Dave, coming into my dorm room and telling me I had to listen to this song because it was so unusual and cool. I always think of him when I hear it, even today. When he came out to me 3 years later, I finally knew that the reason he rejected me truly was a "it's not you, it's me" situation. 

Sister Golden Hair by America, and every Dan Folgelburg song

Remembering my roommate, Beth, and our mutual friend, Jose. He played his guitar and had a voice just like James Taylor. When Beth left school after 1st semester, sophmore year, both of us missed her. We sat that spring on the stone steps of the outdoor theater by Mirror Lake, and Jose sang SGH. We just sat quiet for a moment afterward and I could see there was a little different kind of missing her on his part. 

Our House by Crosby Stills and Nash

Our first year of marriage, living in a run-down, 3 room duplex, with our cat, Captain, and our thrift store furniture....Dh on the floor, playing guitar and singing, trying to record on some stereo cassette player/hi fi combo. The wind blew thru the front door in a moan and we laughed so hard. Such a simple time. We had nothing, and our house was a very very very fine house. 

It is Well With My Soul

Leaving Juvenile Detention,  having just visited ds, I felt distraught, defeated and so sad at how horribly wrong our home life had become. Although I always listened to "news and weather" radio, for some reason, I turned on the Christian radio station I had listened to years before. 3 songs came on, each more meaningful and powerful to me than the one before. It is Well was one of them. It was written by a man who lost wife and children in a shipwreck; he had sent them ahead to America. He composed the song while crossing the Atlantic later, at the spot of the accident. The message is that it is well with my soul, no matter the state of my circumstances,  because of the love of God. I sang along in the car, tears streaming, holding on to the hope of God. 

• Like 7

"Can't Get You Out of My Head" by Australian singer Kylie Minogue.  Quantas Airways was playing that on my six hour flight to Sydney as well as other Kylie Minogue MTVs on the large screen (didn’t have individual small screens on that flight). I have a phobia of Kylie Minogue and her songs after that flight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I was at my 8th grade dance they had a dance competition to the song "Dancing Queen" by ABBA. My girlfriend and I did this choreography that had "the bump" (remember that dance move?) in it. We actually won haha. I got a copy of ABBA's album, and then a kid I had a huge crush on asked me to dance right afterwards.

When I was in college we were pre-gaming (drinking and such while getting dressed) on Halloween, and the song "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night came on. We started singing it at the top of our lungs, and I remember looking around at my circle of friends and thinking how happy I was in that moment.

Edited by Home'scool
  • Like 2

By the way, I grew up VERY conservative Christian.  I wasn't allowed to dance, and my parents didn't let me listen to much secular music at home, but I did listen to it at my Christian boarding school (still not allowed to dance though.)  We danced some on the sly but I didn't really love dancing and feel free to do it until I went to college.

The cheerleaders (I was not one) always did a routine during half time at rugby games to Eye of the Tiger.  

Our student center had only a few cassettes from the States and one of them was Christopher Cross.  Pretty sure Sailing was played 9,503 times during my high school years.

Toto's Africa is my ring tone even today.  It came out while I was in high school and was everyone's favorite song (I lived in Africa at the time.)

Anything Lionel Richie.....Hello

Anything Abba

And I can still sing anything from the Foreigner 4 album......and maybe the Kansas Greatest Hits album.

Chicago was the first secular concert I had ever been to (college.)  Before that I had been to  Twila Paris, Ken Medema, Larry Norman, and Amy Grant concerts!  (I may remember more, but that is what I can think of right now.)

• Like 2

What a fabulous thread! I love this 🙂 

I have lots of strong memories attached to Australian band Ratcat. @StellaM, do you remember them from the early 90s? I think you may be my vintage 🙂 

My then-boyfriend-now-husband-of-several-decades handed me Ratcat's EP Tingles not long after we met. 'That Ain't Bad'  was the big song from it.

Several years after that, my then-boyfriend-now-husband-of-several-decades' band was a support act for a Ratcat concert. There was some kerfuffle with regards to roadies, and Ratcat's manager told me (manager of my boyfriend's band) that we would 'never play in this industry again'. Such a cliche. We still laugh at that occasionally.

I've just watched it on youtube and it's still fabulous: 

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Most of you have probably never heard of our Canadian musicians. I have so many memories of Kim Mitchell, "Patio Lanterns" and "Go for a Soda,"  or Bryan Adams, "Summer of '69."  I think Trooper, "Boys in the Bright White Sports Car" was the first album I purchased with my own money. 

Celine Dion was the first musician I bought an album in French. She was a teenager and it was her first album.

My sister and I listened to the Scottish band, Bay City Rollers, "Saturday Night" a million times.  

Just haven't heard of Kim Mitchell.  Time to youtube.

The song Jackie Blue takes me back to doing laps in the high school swimming pool.  Every time.

I love this thread and have wanted to contribute to it all day but calls to stuff that close were first.  As was getting some stuff on my list done.

For me, even though i much prefer reading books (especially now) to listening--- I love music and my memories with music go back to before I was 2 with Respighi's Pines of Rome being one of those.  My family listened generally to classical music at home,

Kindergarten or 1st grade- dancing in gym class to Sugar, Sugar by the Archies,  We did something called the pony

Riders on the Storm- 1971- - our first trip to Florida in the car and I really loved it when that song came on,  (I was interested in crime and mysteries from a young age).  Also Cherokee Nation-- on that trip we went to a Seminole reservation (I guess) and I got a little Indian doll (and yes, I knew they were not Cherokee- one of my favorite books to get out was some  big book with details about many NA tribes and the houses they built)

1974-  My parent's first trip back to Poland since WW2 and they brought us all too.  Band on the Run--- and how super excited I was and everyone in Poland was about their performance in World Cup which was occurring while we were there.  Everywhere I was hearing Band on the Run.   And it was my one and only experience being in a then-Communist country.  

Africa by Toto- riding back to Chicago (college) on Indiana turnpike on Dec 31st (with an impacted wisdom tooth where I couldn't open enough to eat food) with my dh (and on that same bizarre trip-  someone thought dh and I were siblings at one of the few open turnpike restaurants  --we do not look at all alike but both have light skin and reddish hair naturally but his was strawberry blonde and mine was auburn)

And on and on.  Sometimes the memories are not where I hear the song but where someone mentioned it too.  Like everytime I hear Love Shack, I think of being at a friend's house in Belgium and how she was telling me she had to stop listening to a lot of songs because of her kids.  i had no problems with them listening to Love Shack but I would change channels for Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax and that always makes me think of Body Double and then that leads to memory of strange house that was in our neighborhood in Albuquerque.

• Like 1

Oh gosh, every song from my past holds a memory!  But a few standouts...   Does anyone remember the song Dream Weaver?  I won that record at a dance with my first big date in high school (swoon...).  So naturally, it holds very strong memories for me!  Also, Stairway to Heaven brings many reminders to me of my high school days.  (It was probably played at every party and dance I went to.)  Helen Reddy's Delta Dawn (someone else mentioned that song too!  🙂) reminds me of the hot summer when my family drove across the country in our old Duster car with no air conditioning and windows wide open the whole way.  (Only good memories though!)   The song Don't You Forget About Me will forever remind me of when my dh and I were first married and lived in Cairo in the 80's.  It was always playing in the expat bar we used to frequent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

I love this thread and have wanted to contribute to it all day but calls to stuff that close were first.  As was getting some stuff on my list done.

For me, even though i much prefer reading books (especially now) to listening--- I love music and my memories with music go back to before I was 2 with Respighi's Pines of Rome being one of those.  My family listened generally to classical music at home,

Kindergarten or 1st grade- dancing in gym class to Sugar, Sugar by the Archies,  We did something called the pony

Riders on the Storm- 1971- - our first trip to Florida in the car and I really loved it when that song came on,  (I was interested in crime and mysteries from a young age).  Also Cherokee Nation-- on that trip we went to a Seminole reservation (I guess) and I got a little Indian doll (and yes, I knew they were not Cherokee- one of my favorite books to get out was some  big book with details about many NA tribes and the houses they built)

1974-  My parent's first trip back to Poland since WW2 and they brought us all too.  Band on the Run--- and how super excited I was and everyone in Poland was about their performance in World Cup which was occurring while we were there.  Everywhere I was hearing Band on the Run.   And it was my one and only experience being in a then-Communist country.  

Africa by Toto- riding back to Chicago (college) on Indiana turnpike on Dec 31st (with an impacted wisdom tooth where I couldn't open enough to eat food) with my dh (and on that same bizarre trip-  someone thought dh and I were siblings at one of the few open turnpike restaurants  --we do not look at all alike but both have light skin and reddish hair naturally but his was strawberry blonde and mine was auburn)

And on and on.  Sometimes the memories are not where I hear the song but where someone mentioned it too.  Like everytime I hear Love Shack, I think of being at a friend's house in Belgium and how she was telling me she had to stop listening to a lot of songs because of her kids.  i had no problems with them listening to Love Shack but I would change channels for Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax and that always makes me think of Body Double and then that leads to memory of strange house that was in our neighborhood in Albuquerque.

All those songs are so familiar to me as well!  I used to love Sugar Sugar too.  🙂 

My very first music memory was a song from Sunday School: "If I Were a Butterfly".  No wonder I became an English teacher.  I had a very early introduction to the subjunctive.

My first memory of a song played on the radio is Pat Benatar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot".

My neighbor's older sister had Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album.  We listened to it in her bedroom.

I also remember getting home from vacation at 1 a.m. when Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" came on.  My dad cranked up the volume and we sat in the driveway waiting for the song to finish.  Only a few years later my parents became more serious about their Christianity and we stopped listening to any music that wasn't Christian, which is, I suppose, a bit ironic.

And my little brother singing, "Who you don' tall? Dhostbustews!!" from the "Ghostbusters" soundtrack.  He was so cute.

Rollerskating (badly) to Madonna's "Lucky Star".

Many of my memories are from music slightly before my time.  Before I was born my dad had played keyboard in a band.  He loved to play -- back in the day it was a Hammond organ and a Leslie speaker.  Not an easy instrument to transport...  We eventually ended up with a Hammond organ in our living room and he would play often.  I have memories of me asking him to play a little more quietly because I was studying or trying to sleep.  One of his favorite songs to play was "Watermelon Man".

During one summer break in my college years, I worked in an office that played the radio all day.  It was the greatest hits of the 70s, 80s, and 90s!  We play the same 100 songs every day in a different order.  :)  I worked with some really nice people and I can still do a pretty mean 10-key (although the job I had was later made obsolete by scanning wands).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

Most of you have probably never heard of our Canadian musicians. 

The first Canadian singer my husband listened to was Céline Dion. His favorite Canadian singer is Sarah McLachlan and favorite album is Mirrorball. My kids enjoyed J'imagine sung by Annie Villeneuve and my oldest memorized the French lyrics for fun during Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. We listen to Michael Bublé and Bryan Adams for relaxation. My kids sometimes listen to Justin Bieber.

• Like 1

Eye of the Tiger reminds me of a military training camp run. It was toward the end of the training (and we were a bunch of dorks) so somebody played that really loudly. It was my fastest run time in my life, and when I finished my vision went away for about 15 seconds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Two memories come to mind.

1982, driving down to the university with my brother to take the math placement exam, "Rosanna" (by Toto) playing on the radio.

1983, X-Dh and I got a tiny kitten from SIL, and were driving home with it (a 7 hour drive).  We were wondering what to name her, and came up with the idea to name her something relevant to the first song that popped up on the radio.  Song was "Eye of the Tiger", so we named her Rocki.  When she had kittens a couple years later, we kept one, and named him Sly.

• Like 1

Oh, a real funny story!

Fifth-grade class- older teacher decided to be hip w/us by using song lyrics for poetry class.  The ones used were "59th Bridge Song"  (fine song for lyrics),  "I Don't like Spiders and Snakes" (not the best choice) and 'Smoking in the Boys' Room)  (really not a good choice).  

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Junie said:

also remember getting home from vacation at 1 a.m. when Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" came on.  My dad cranked up the volume and we sat in the driveway waiting for the song to finish.  Only a few years later my parents became more serious about their Christianity and we stopped listening to any music that wasn't Christian, which is, I suppose, a bit ironic.

Oh that made me laugh so much.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Oh I remembered another one. The Long and Winding Road ( @Dotwithaperiod's Uncle Albert post made me think of it). It came out after we moved to FL but at that point we were still making frequent visits to family in NJ. I had cousins who lived at the top of a hill and at the end of a long, winding road. We used to sing the first line because the long and winding road really did lead to their door. 🙂 I was listening to the Beatles station on Sirius not long ago and heard the song. It transported me back to those days.

There are really so many. It's funny what music does to us in relation to memories. Kodachrome by Paul Simon was actually playing on the radio as I was on my way to my high school graduation. "When I think back on all the crap Iearned in high school" 😂😄 I still think of that when I hear the song.

In case you're wondering why I still hear all these old songs, it's not me listening to oldies stations. Ds likes 70s and 80s music so we listen to it a lot when he's around, and we've been listening to it since he was in his early teens (he's 21).  

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 8:25 AM, Quill said:

Songs by REO Speedwagon

I went bowling with my boyfriend when REO Speedwagon was popular. There was a guy in the group next to us named Mario and all night long his (very loud) friends were calling him Mario Speedwagon. We laughed at first but were so tired of hearing it by the time the night was over.

• Haha 1

I was in student council in 11th and 12th grade. The mischievous guys in my student council batch love singing Michael Damien’s Was It Nothing At All. That song rarely plays on the radio but reminds me of them.

During college hostel days, an engineering undergrad had a crush on an arts and social science undergrad and he sang Air Supply’s All Out of Love for hostel talentine (singing) contest. Everyone in the crowd was looking out to see what’s the crush’s reaction.

Every time I hear Shania Twain's "Still the One," it makes me think of our honeymoon.  It was playing all over the radio the summer we got married, and it fit.  We were 21 and 23 and had been together for almost 7 years at that point, and nobody thought it would actually last.  Still a true song after almost twenty-one years of marriage!

Aerosmith's "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" also brings back memories of that summer because we saw "Armageddon" right before our wedding.  I don't really like Aerosmith, but I do like that one song.  Then it reminded me of how I felt after our babies were born, because who wants to sleep when you have an adorable baby to look at?  And now it reminds me of sitting up those last two nights with Nate without sleeping more than a few minutes here and there, because I couldn't lie down to sleep while holding him, and it's hard to sleep sitting up, and no way was I putting him down for such mundane things as sleep.  

• Like 3

Riding in a boat to Bear Island singing "Don't Rock the Boat."  Maybe the summer after 6th grade?

The things we do for love (Walking in the rain and the snow...). Walking through the zoo in DC, in the rain, singing this song with my 8th grade friends.

Another Saturday Night  -- guy playing it on his guitar at summer camp.  First time I heard it. 

Dock of the Bay -- reminds me of an old boyfriend

All Night Long -- dancing to this song at Discoteca Dianca in Sevilla in 1983/84

I Hear a Symphony  -- always reminds me of my brother.  Same with Searchin' for a Rainbow

I could go on and on.  Music is very evocative for me.  I guess for me most songs have a memory attached to them, but the ones above in particular.  Probably most of you young things don't even know most of those songs!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Remember the song, If I Had Words, That Farmer Hoggett sang towards the end of Babe? Walt was around 18 months when the video came out, and he became obsessed . He wanted it on all day for weeks. Whenever Hogget started singing, he’d grab his cap and twirl around, then sit down and sob. Multiple times daily.  I never knew it was an actual song until years later. A year or so ago I put the movie on one day to see if our dog would like seeing the animals. Yes, we’re all weird. I cried thru most of it, picturing ds as a little kid in pull-ups. Now I’m off to google the song again.

This is on my short list of movies to see again.  We have it on DVD and keep losing it, but I just found it again this week.  

"That'll do pig, that'll do."  We use this phrase in our house for humans. 🙂 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, TheReader said:

Madonna's  Crazy for You always takes me back to one of the earlier dates between DH & I; our church youth group all went out to play miniature golf, and DH & I were just in that early flirty beginning to date phase and that song came on the speakers at the putt-putt golf place. We did a lot of smiling and flirting and singing along and being embarrassed as only 2 teenagers too shy to admit real feelings can be......

lots more, as well, but that one's the most vivid. Some had different memories attached at one point, but most songs have morphed to having a DH memory at this point; there's one song that makes me think of the one main ex before DH (Under the Bridge, by......I have no idea....)(that may or may not even be the actual name of the song); not that it was playing at any point during a memory, but the ex loved that song and it just always reminds me of a conversation he & I had about it. 

The Moulin Rouge version of Your Song takes me back to my youngest as a newborn; that line "how wonderful life is, now you're in the world" was sort of my theme for him, and it's the one song that would calm him if he was screaming in the car. Which, if we were in the car, he was screaming. We had to play this song, loudly, on repeat. 

Ring of Fire always calls to mind an image of my middle son, then aged 5 or so, "playing" it on guitar and singing along. He *adored* Johnny Cash and this song in particular. Oh my word, cutest.thing.ever. We have it on video and I just absolutely adore it. 

the Spider Man theme song....same DS would play it on repeat at home. Over and over and over and over again. Oh my. Later he graduated to Final Countdown. Oye. He has better taste in music now, thank goodness. 

Oldest doesn't really have any songs associated....he's not a music lover/listener. Which is very odd to me.  DH & I, on the other hand....I made an entire playlist to celebrate our anniversary one year and tell our story in music. So, yea, lots of songs with very specific memories for me. 

Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

Oh, a lot. I remember my best friend and I singing Flagpole Sitta in detention lol. She's still my best friend.

I remember my then-boyfriend-now-dh cranking Killing In The Name Of by RATM at a party at my house. That song always got parties started! I remember a band at school playing that song nice and loud in the school courtyard at lunch - swear words and all! 😄

I remember my first slow dance with a boy was to Take That's song, Want You Back For Good.

The Spice Girls feature a lot! 😄

Also, my husband is a metal fan, and so are my big kids. All of them play guitar, so every time I hear them play Def Leppard's "Love Bites," I am instantly transported back to middle school dances under the disco ball in the cafeteria. Husband and I only kind of vaguely knew each other then, and sixth graders had their own dances separate from the seventh and eighth graders, but he went there too, so it's close enough to a shared memory. 

There are many worship songs and choruses that remind me of VBS, church, and children's choir. "Lord of the Dance," set to "Simple Gifts," always reminds me of sleepaway camp. 

“Jesus Loves The Little Children” brings me back to preK/K days in a Roman Catholic preschool where I had a down syndrome classmate and nuns for teachers as well as school principal. The nuns were from Portuguese Franciscan missions. I puked every day of school (except one) due to the garbage truck and the nuns were so calming and accommodating. The one day I didn’t puke was because the garbage truck didn’t come to the school.