Menu

I need help deciphering this handwriting...

J-rap

Over the years I've slowly been making permanent records of old family journals and letters.  One in particular is especially fascinating to me, except I can't read a word that I want to read...  Any ideas?  It's the last word I'm struggling with.  I think the first part is "write songs & stories."

TS writing.png

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Needs to or needs te...

2 hours ago, Tap said:

meditate?

I can see those two possibilities. What I have done in the past is to see if similar letters / scribbles appear in another context where it's easier to deduce the meaning and see if it fits.

• Like 1

It definitely looks like it starts with an n because it looks like the n in songs. The tall letter in the first word (or first half of a word) does not look like the other ts, so I'm still guessing it is a d.

There look to be two ts in the last word (or second half of the last word). The only thing that makes me question the second t is that the writer of the rest of the words on that line obviously starts their ts over fresh (not connecting them to the first part of the word). So, having that last part be one word makes sense and makes me doubt the second tall letter is a t.

I think the last letter looks like the final s in stories and very close to the final s in songs.

Edited by RootAnn
Typos
  • Like 1

THANKS EVERYONE!  Sorry for the slow response...  My dh has been in the hospital for the last couple of days...

There's not a lot of context...  It was one line of listing his ambitions.  Nothing before or after to give it context.  But Tap's idea of "meditate" made me look at it again and think of "real estate" (another word ending in "tate)...  It doesn't really go with songs and stories, but I guess could be a future ambition??

Looks like my writing ?

Agree with “write songs & stories”

last part:

Do you have any f example to compare to the crossed letters that could be t?

first letter to me most like an n or r. Reading, ready, nearly, nearby

On 9/20/2018 at 6:42 AM, J-rap said:

TS writing.png

The final part looks like a cursive r, but this person’s prior r looks like connected manuscript r. Are there r letters anywhere in writing that look like the end of this?  If not , could be an s or could intend several letters as the final squiggle.  If an r, could also be “before”. Or better

reading before     reading 

19 hours ago, J-rap said:

THANKS EVERYONE!  Sorry for the slow response...  My dh has been in the hospital for the last couple of days...

There's not a lot of context...  It was one line of listing his ambitions.  Nothing before or after to give it context.  But Tap's idea of "meditate" made me look at it again and think of "real estate" (another word ending in "tate)...  It doesn't really go with songs and stories, but I guess could be a future ambition??

Tate ending seems possible. But the letter at end of first word looks like it has a tail that goes below the line as in a y or g

Have you used a magnifying lens?

5 hours ago, Pen said:

Looks like my writing ?

Agree with “write songs & stories”

last part:

Do you have any f example to compare to the crossed letters that could be t?

first letter to me most like an n or r. Reading, ready, nearly, nearby

The final part looks like a cursive r, but this person’s prior r looks like connected manuscript r. Are there r letters anywhere in writing that look like the end of this?  If not , could be an s or could intend several letters as the final squiggle.  If an r, could also be “before”. Or better

reading before     reading 

All good suggestions...  I'll have to compare different letters from other places and see what I come up with...  Thanks for thinking about this!

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Needs time or needs texts

1st letter looks like an n and the first letter of the second word is consistent with the t in write and the last letters of both words fit with the s from songs and stories

that 3rd letter does look like and x do reads texts could be a good guess

I think it says needs time. (I wrote it out like I was writing a hall pass in a hurry and pretty much nailed it.) :blink:

• Like 2