Menu

need suggestions for a pet

gardenmom5

1dd has decided to get a pet/companion animal. cat allergies are questionable.    we have experience with dogs - but she is open to a cat.   (did suggest an older rescue as they're calmer.  so, possibility there.)

she has a decent sized house with a fenced yard.   she lives alone.   she bakes for fun.

some "requirements" are:

can be happy at home while she's at work.  occasionally she's worked from home.  occasionally she's had 20 (yes - twenty) hour days (in which case, I'd probably go get the dog.)

will greet her when she returns home.

sits in her lap/be with her when she's home. sounds like she'd allow it to sleep on her bed.   (a cat who likes to jump on tables/cabinets and knock things over could be a concern.)

nice fur for petting.  - she's willing to brush a dog every day.  doesn't want to have to constantly take a dog to a professional groomer to be clipped, etc.

can go for a walk when she gets home - but will survive if she has to skip a day.  

plans on doing proper obedience training.  (even small dogs need to be trained.  I admit, I root for a coyote getting the stupid dog across from us because the idiot owner things small dogs don't' need to be trained. . . . it's highly obnoxious and thinks it's the boss of the street.)

a dog would come here when she does (at least once a week) - a cat, probably not.

more a small/maybe ..medium dog - but not a purse dog.   and no smushed faces. (re: pug.)

any suggestions?  suggestions for cats are ok too.

She should visit the nearest shelter or rescue - lots of sweet dogs out there who would fit the bill of what she's looking for exactly!

I'd avoid any beagle mix (the howling), Aussie/sheepdog/shepherd type dogs (waaaay too high energy to be chill in a house most of the day). Other than that - do a meet 'n greet at the shelter or rescue and see which dogs speak to her heart.

(I'd suggest a dog over a cat since she for-sure wants someone to greet her and hang out with her at home. There are no guarantees with a cat... your chances of success are much higher with a rescued doggie.)

I may be bias but French Bulldogs are about the best dogs anyone could have. 

They are not hyper but will play if you want them to. They like walks but are fine lounging around on a lap or couch. Small but not too small. They feel like a big dog fit in a compact body. They don't get overly barky or obnoxious. Easy to trains and friendly with all family members...they aren't a dog that will only bond to one person and shun everyone else. Easy to maintain. Hair is short so not fluffy but a nice coat to pet. They stay really clean. So sweet and funny. Chill little dogs that will wear clothes and ride in the car without issue. 

We had our first frenchie for 12 years. He was the best dog I have ever owned and I have had many dogs. He only had to be seen by a vet for medical reasons once and that was at 12 yo when our neighbor threw a bone over the fence and it got lodged in his esophagus :( that was how we lost him but I swear, even at 12 he still acted like a pup. He didn't even smell like an old dog. I'm telling you, best dog ever.

51 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

She should visit the nearest shelter or rescue - lots of sweet dogs out there who would fit the bill of what she's looking for exactly!

I'd avoid any beagle mix (the howling), Aussie/sheepdog/shepherd type dogs (waaaay too high energy to be chill in a house most of the day). Other than that - do a meet 'n greet at the shelter or rescue and see which dogs speak to her heart.

(I'd suggest a dog over a cat since she for-sure wants someone to greet her and hang out with her at home. There are no guarantees with a cat... your chances of success are much higher with a rescued doggie.)

we're willing to look at the shelter - but the last time I was there, the local shelter was 75% pit/mixes.   under no circumstances would we consider one.

it's more likely she'd end up with a purebred.

40 minutes ago, nixpix5 said:

I may be bias but French Bulldogs are about the best dogs anyone could have. 

They are not hyper but will play if you want them to. They like walks but are fine lounging around on a lap or couch. Small but not too small. They feel like a big dog fit in a compact body. They don't get overly barky or obnoxious. Easy to trains and friendly with all family members...they aren't a dog that will only bond to one person and shun everyone else. Easy to maintain. Hair is short so not fluffy but a nice coat to pet. They stay really clean. So sweet and funny. Chill little dogs that will wear clothes and ride in the car without issue. 

We had our first frenchie for 12 years. He was the best dog I have ever owned and I have had many dogs. He only had to be seen by a vet for medical reasons once and that was at 12 yo when our neighbor threw a bone over the fence and it got lodged in his esophagus :( that was how we lost him but I swear, even at 12 he still acted like a pup. He didn't even smell like an old dog. I'm telling you, best dog ever.

from what I know - they have a good temperament. 

some "find a breed" sites are helpful - I'm surprised how many aren't.   and you can't look up a breed unless it comes up on your "good breed for you".

mostly  - it's come up with terriers of various kinds (a westie is a possibility). . . and the standby's.  miniature poodle, bichon friese. cocker spaniel, king charles spaniel - 1ds and i are snickering because it also came up with a toy & miniature american eskimo dog. .. . (1ds's gf has huskies and klee klais.)

doing more research and whittling.

30 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

we're willing to look at the shelter - but the last time I was there, the local shelter was 75% pit/mixes.   under no circumstances would we consider one.

it's more likely she'd end up with a purebred.

Or you / she can try breed rescues. This way she may get the breed she likes but does not have to pay $$$. Breed rescues is where we got our mastiffs and the cost for each one was less than $100 (not counting a donation we made which is voluntary). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Or you / she can try breed rescues. This way she may get the breed she likes but does not have to pay $$$. Breed rescues is where we got our mastiffs and the cost for each one was less than $100 (not counting a donation we made which is voluntary). 

apparently, small dogs are popular.   I like the idea of the breed specific rescues.   much more helpful.  and being willing to travel.   but we're in the pnw - so not as many options as if we lived with the over all population was more dense.

I was just on one site with an 8 yo dog (still wasn't housebroken) - when the breed's life-expectancy is 10 years.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it for her to get two of the same type/size to keep each other happy during the day when she's gone.

I've referred to this book repeatedly over the last couple of decades as we selected several dogs, and really appreciated its information. We've never gone to a breeder and bought a dog, but having an idea of what might have gone into the dogs at the shelters was very useful. There is a newer edition, so I'm not sure what may have changed, but this is the old one we have.

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Dog-You-Personality-Life-style/dp/B000Q938AY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523618159&sr=8-2&keywords=The+right+dog+for+you

I've had good luck selecting adult dogs from shelters and rescues. They're past the puppy chewing and their temperaments have been more obvious. If the dog's going to be alone for hours every day, I'd strongly recommend an adult, maybe even toward the older years. Around here it's mainly pits, too, but I find that planning on spending several months on selection gives time for various other types to surface. Looking on Petfinder.com is helpful, too. Even though at first glance the shelter is filled with pits, a little exploration shows a lot of different dogs available. I know that may not be true for you, but perhaps it might be.

• Like 2

You can't predict if a cat will want to be snuggled, etc unless you adopt an older one. Eventhen...cats are unpredictable. 

Could she get a dog door for a dog? Maybe a slightly older one, that is known to be a couch potato? Funds to hire a dog walker?

Rabbit?

You could potentially look into low allergen cats?  They seem to be happier alone all day than dogs but others said personality is variable so may not be snuggly.  Also cats can potentially be ok with going visiting if it's a house they visit regularly and they start from young.  My niece does this with her cats.  

Otherwise I agree with others - look for a rescue.  Something with miniature poodle as part of the mix maybe?

• Like 1

an older, domestic shorthair cat would fit the bill.  Older is calmer, and shorthair is a must if she wants to avoid the groomer and hairball surprises.  To find a lap cat, spending time with a cat to see what they are like is crucial - some just don't want to be lap cats.  A private rescue can tell you something about a cat's personality.  FWIW, I have cat allergies and I have learned to reflexively keep my hands from my face, which has made the issue moot.  But Zyrtec works well when I have  an allergy flare-up of ay type.

6 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I’ll be the voice of dissent. I think a dog wouldn’t be the best choice for her with type of work schedule. If she’s sometimes working 20 hour days I’m guessing it’s also not out of the norm for her to work 10-12 hours fairly regularly? That’s a LONG time for a single dog to be alone. It would be miserable and you may end up with lots of problem behaviors and separation anxiety. Especially coming out of a shelter where there is a lot of noise and commotion to being alone in a house for huge stretches of time. Even with a dog door. You’d end up with a lonely barking dog outside. 

I’d suggest cat. Or as PP said- rabbits. Get two and then they won’t care how long she’s gone. But I just don’t think her currently lifestyle seems very set up for a long term success with an adopted dog. It doesn’t seem fair to the dog. 

This is a very valid concern. I do think a cat would be a safer choice, though it would not be likely to be a walking companion. What are her typical days like (just for you to think this through, not necessarily post here?

Before I was married I lived alone, and I did have a dog. The house had a dog door leading to a fenced area, so the dog wasn't stuck in the house. My schedule let me be off by 2:30 each day, so we went on lots of long walks and did lots of training. I still came home to chewed books and spilled garbage regularly. The dog loved to lounge half in and half out of the dog door, lol, so flies got in the house constantly.

That dog was great. She alerted me if anyone was around, and looked imposing, so I felt safer with her there. I think I'd do it all again, knowing the difficulties. Just make sure she's thinking this through and honestly has time in her life for a dog, if she goes that direction.

2 hours ago, Innisfree said:

One more thing... I'm assuming this dd is a young adult. You're probably already thinking of this, but if kids are a possibility within the dog/cat's lifespan, making sure the pet would be safe and happy around kids might prevent serious problems later. 

she's  >30.  older than some of the moms on this forum.  she's single, and while she'd like to get married and have kids, there's nothing on the horizon.  (though I know how fast that can change.)

it will need to be a breed/mix that is friendly to others.

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

You could potentially look into low allergen cats?  They seem to be happier alone all day than dogs but others said personality is variable so may not be snuggly.  Also cats can potentially be ok with going visiting if it's a house they visit regularly and they start from young.  My niece does this with her cats.  

Otherwise I agree with others - look for a rescue.  Something with miniature poodle as part of the mix maybe?

we're also considering cats  (probably an older one as they're more sedate) - but it's harder to find a friendly cat. I've a good friend whose had many many cats, and found the ones who were handled a lot as newborn kittens were the friendliest.  my friend currently has a ragdoll who follows her everywhere.

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

I’ll be the voice of dissent. I think a dog wouldn’t be the best choice for her with type of work schedule. If she’s sometimes working 20 hour days I’m guessing it’s also not out of the norm for her to work 10-12 hours fairly regularly? That’s a LONG time for a single dog to be alone. It would be miserable and you may end up with lots of problem behaviors and separation anxiety. Especially coming out of a shelter where there is a lot of noise and commotion to being alone in a house for huge stretches of time. Even with a dog door. You’d end up with a lonely barking dog outside. 

I’d suggest cat. Or as PP said- rabbits. Get two and then they won’t care how long she’s gone. But I just don’t think her currently lifestyle seems very set up for a long term success with an adopted dog. It doesn’t seem fair to the dog. 

the 20 hr days are outliers when there is a crisis (like when comcast cut their cable and everything went down . . . .) - she's the tech head, so if there's a tech crisis - she has to be there.  her normal schedule is an eight hour day with commute.     other intense days are planned beforehand so extra dog care can also be planned.

from my reading on "find a breed" sites - there are breeds who are independent enough to handle being alone for a work day.  more social dogs have the harder time and need much more interaction.

her rear outside doors are all french doors - so a dog door isn't happening. 

45 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

This is a very valid concern. I do think a cat would be a safer choice, though it would not be likely to be a walking companion. What are her typical days like (just for you to think this through, not necessarily post here?

Before I was married I lived alone, and I did have a dog. The house had a dog door leading to a fenced area, so the dog wasn't stuck in the house. My schedule let me be off by 2:30 each day, so we went on lots of long walks and did lots of training. I still came home to chewed books and spilled garbage regularly. The dog loved to lounge half in and half out of the dog door, lol, so flies got in the house constantly.

That dog was great. She alerted me if anyone was around, and looked imposing, so I felt safer with her there. I think I'd do it all again, knowing the difficulties. Just make sure she's thinking this through and honestly has time in her life for a dog, if she goes that direction.

so - a big dog?  I had a GSD who was a pussy cat, she didn't have to do anything to intimidate people.  well -look at them.  she wasn't intimidating when she was asleep.  she was the best dog.

she's looking for something small.  most likely under 20 lbs.   they're not imposing. while some bark constantly (like our neighbor's - who thinks he owns the neighborhood. I hate that dog.), some are quiet.   (I have lots of experience with two smaller dogs who didn't/don't bark much at all.  even if on their own.)

she's home by 3pm most days.

• Like 1

Many dogs that small were bred to be companion dogs--so being alone is not that cool with them. But she doesn't want a pug, right? 

If she does go with a dog, hiring a daily dog walker will help her pup be much healthier and happier. (I know--I was one.) It can get expensive, but she should be willing to do what's best for any animal she gets, kwim? And it's better than paper training...

There are ways to provide mental stimulation for stay-alone pets, like puzzle boxes for treats, frozen treat kongs, etc, but nothing beats interaction with someone.

Dogs are crepacious, which means they are most active at dawn and sunset, naturally. Being home alone can work, but boy, it is important to be there (or have someone there) for the dog during the active times. 

Just my 2c. 

• Like 2

Our family cat just died suddenly of a blocked bladder. It had been very healthy for the 8 years we had him, so this was a shock. What was a bigger shock was the price of vet bills. I would have your dd go and talk to a vet clinic and be totally aware of the costs she is taking on if she becomes a pet owner. Is she willing to spend hundreds or potentially thousands on caring for this animal if it becomes ill or gets injured, or will she invest in pet insurance? If not, then tell her to skip being a pet owner and just do short-term boarding or fostering when she has time. There are too many "pet owners" who are having their pets euthanized or simply abandoning them because they don't want to deal with vet bills.

• Sad 1

Warning: I have strong opinions on full-time workers who live alone having dogs... ;)

Oh please don't get a dog if the animal will be left alone 8-10 hours/day 5 days/ week! Dogs are very social and very much need people around them. Dogs are also far more apt to develop anxiety and health problems licking sore spots on themselves, chewing, barking, and destructive behaviors when left alone for large periods of time. Cats are far more independent and able to handle long hours of being solo.

I totally understand the desire to have an animal greet you when you get home, but the price that a dog (left alone for 40+ hours a week) has to pay for the owner's momentary emotional "stroke" in being greeted when coming home is really unfair to the animal. :( If a dog is really the only animal that is acceptable, then calculate in the cost of having the dog go to a "doggie day care" several times a week, where the animal gets play time, walking, and interaction with people and other dogs.

• Like 8

My 27 yr old dd lives alone.  She often works 10 hr days.

She has 2 cats-- and they both greet her when she gets home.  Both cats love to snuggle too.  She got them both as kittens from rescue centers (one was 3 months old and one was 6 months old).  The kittens bonded quickly.  She did have to be careful about anything left out when they went through the manic kitten phase-- thankfully only a few months.  Now they are both adults they are quite calm (but will still actively play with dd).   One of her cats is leash trained-- so she takes him on short walks several times each week (he is a bangle mix and really is more of a dog at heart!).

I'm another vote for not getting dog-- it is not fair for them to be confined for that much of a day. 

• Like 4

I know that people do this, but what is the draw of getting a cat or dog to stay alone in an empty house for up to 20 hours a day? This doesn't sound like an animal lover to me. It sounds more selfish than anything. 

There are places (e.g., service dog centres, rescue shelters) that are looking for foster homes for animals, sometimes just on weekends. This would be a much more sensible idea in my view.

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Many dogs that small were bred to be companion dogs--so being alone is not that cool with them. But she doesn't want a pug, right? 

If she does go with a dog, hiring a daily dog walker will help her pup be much healthier and happier. (I know--I was one.) It can get expensive, but she should be willing to do what's best for any animal she gets, kwim? And it's better than paper training...

There are ways to provide mental stimulation for stay-alone pets, like puzzle boxes for treats, frozen treat kongs, etc, but nothing beats interaction with someone.

Dogs are crepacious, which means they are most active at dawn and sunset, naturally. Being home alone can work, but boy, it is important to be there (or have someone there) for the dog during the active times. 

Just my 2c. 

we're north - so the days are getting longer and by june - sunset will be 10pm.

1 hour ago, tmoan said:

Our family cat just died suddenly of a blocked bladder. It had been very healthy for the 8 years we had him, so this was a shock. What was a bigger shock was the price of vet bills. I would have your dd go and talk to a vet clinic and be totally aware of the costs she is taking on if she becomes a pet owner. Is she willing to spend hundreds or potentially thousands on caring for this animal if it becomes ill or gets injured, or will she invest in pet insurance? If not, then tell her to skip being a pet owner and just do short-term boarding or fostering when she has time. There are too many "pet owners" who are having their pets euthanized or simply abandoning them because they don't want to deal with vet bills.

money isn't a concern for her - she has a very good job.

19 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

My 27 yr old dd lives alone.  She often works 10 hr days.

She has 2 cats-- and they both greet her when she gets home.  Both cats love to snuggle too.  She got them both as kittens from rescue centers (one was 3 months old and one was 6 months old).  The kittens bonded quickly.  She did have to be careful about anything left out when they went through the manic kitten phase-- thankfully only a few months.  Now they are both adults they are quite calm (but will still actively play with dd).   One of her cats is leash trained-- so she takes him on short walks several times each week (he is a bangle mix and really is more of a dog at heart!).

I'm another vote for not getting dog-- it is not fair for them to be confined for that much of a day. 

nice to know the cat greets her. I know some will.  we are also considering one - probably an older one as she won't go through everything.  but there are cat allergies, so that does narrow things down to which breeds will work.

there is the concern about cats jumping up on things and knocking things down. she has a couple hand blown lamps with handmade mica shades that she can't exactly put in a cabinet.

I've heard of that with a maine coon (huge things) . . . then there's a youtuber who had a rescue kitten as a foster -  one of her huskies decided they were keeping it.  it acts like a dog.

4 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

her normal schedule is an eight hour day with commute.     other intense days are planned beforehand so extra dog care can also be planned.

her rear outside doors are all french doors - so a dog door isn't happening. 

Hmm...if she's gone 9 - 10 hours a day most days, and dog has no way to urinate...that's an issue. Asking for bladder stones and infections. Now and then, sure, but daily? Not a good idea. Not fair to the dog. Either she needs a dog walker, or a paper trained or litter trained dog, or she needs a cat. 

French doors, not sliders, huh? They make pet doors for sliders but I don't know about french doors. Does she rent or own? Found this: https://www.petdoors.com/pet-doors-for-french-doors.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqsHWBRDsARIsALPWMEMeGM-EK7c8u8NStx0v6qwqESSIBSzRdaWcfQzK9tPf3VE82B1gqSYaAvq5EALw_wcB

I won't say don't get a dog. How many are euthanized every day in the U.S. for lack of a home? I'm positive any one of those dog would MUCH prefer to be in a home where they're well loved but alone 10-12 hours a day to being . . . dead.

Your balancing act in terms of a dog seems to be between being social/friendly and in being independent enough to tolerate long hours alone. Those things are often not found in the same dog. And I don't always like to suggest breeds, but I'm gonna throw this out. Look at small beagles. Some of them are hyper, but many are total couch potatoes who are perfectly content to hang out on the couch all day and sleep. Most are friendly. She might also consider a Greyhound. They're not small, but they're usually couch potatoes who wouldn't mind sleeping the days away. Even though she's focusing on smaller dogs I'd be very careful. As Chris said, many of them are bred to be strictly companion dogs. I know our Shh Tzu would NOT thrive in a home where he was left alone that long.

A daily dog walker or two or three days a week at dog day care would be wonderful alternatives to long days at home. Most healthy adult dogs can "hold it" that long, but it's really not good for them. 

• Like 2

There are lots of high tech pet door options nowadays that help cut down a lot on any risks. Some work with your pet's microchip and will only open when the pet gets close. Others can be used with a special collar that holds a device that triggers the door, etc.

Not all rabbits are affectionate.  They need to be properly socialized to humans.  Seattle humane doesn't have any small animals at the moment, I don't think.  King County Regional has some mice and one rabbit.  (They are really really inexperienced with rabbits though and I would not trust them to be able to advise a newbie on care.) 

16 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’d lean away from dogs with that work schedule.  A pocket pet/small animal like a pair of rats or rabbits would be much better fit for a busy regular work schedule.  They love affection but don’t have the same companionship needs as dogs.

I agree.  Cats are low maintenance in that department.

29 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I won't say don't get a dog. How many are euthanized every day in the U.S. for lack of a home? I'm positive any one of those dog would MUCH prefer to be in a home where they're well loved but alone 10-12 hours a day to being . . . dead.

Your balancing act in terms of a dog seems to be between being social/friendly and in being independent enough to tolerate long hours alone. Those things are often not found in the same dog. And I don't always like to suggest breeds, but I'm gonna throw this out. Look at small beagles. Some of them are hyper, but many are total couch potatoes who are perfectly content to hang out on the couch all day and sleep. Most are friendly. She might also consider a Greyhound. They're not small, but they're usually couch potatoes who wouldn't mind sleeping the days away. Even though she's focusing on smaller dogs I'd be very careful. As Chris said, many of them are bred to be strictly companion dogs. I know our Shh Tzu would NOT thrive in a home where he was left alone that long.

A daily dog walker or two or three days a week at dog day care would be wonderful alternatives to long days at home. Most healthy adult dogs can "hold it" that long, but it's really not good for them. 

I cannot even say how much I disagree with the idea that a pet in a home environment that is not suited for them is better than them being dead.  Obviously I don't want them to be dead, but having any pet in a home where people haven't really done their homework and is not suitable can be very stressful for animals.  And each time the animal is "rescued" and then sent back to the shelter to be rehomed yet again, increases the kinds of behaviors and anxieties that make a pet unadoptable. 

I do agree with the dog walker or doggie day care if a dog is what she wants. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I cannot even say how much I disagree with the idea that a pet in a home environment that is not suited for them is better than them being dead.  Obviously I don't want them to be dead, but having any pet in a home where people haven't really done their homework and is not suitable can be very stressful for animals.  And each time the animal is "rescued" and then sent back to the shelter to be rehomed yet again, increases the kinds of behaviors and anxieties that make a pet unadoptable. 

I do agree with the dog walker or doggie day care if a dog is what she wants. 

I've worked actively in rescue longer than Gardenmom5's DD has been alive. While I agree that in a perfect world pets would only go to homes that are 100 percent perfect . . . that's not realistic. I used to think that when I was younger and much more naive, but personally witnessing way too many unwanted pets being euthanized convinced me to get off that high horse a long time ago. I'm pretty darn happy with "good enough" now if it saves a pet from death. I do not get the idea that the OP's DD hasn't done her home work. That is the very purpose of this thread, isn't it?

How does one even deal with the needs of a dog if they are at work for up to 20 hours?  That's not going to be good.  I suppose you can hire someone to come in or put them in day care, but that won't be cheap and easy.  Plus dealing with different care givers could be problematic.  A cat would not need that. 

I would not get a single pet of any kind to leave alone all day, five days a week. 

A single cat might do okay, but she'd have to be prepared for it to sleep all day and be up (and looking for attention) at night. Cats do play with each other and give each other a lot of attention, grooming, and so on. 

I don't think a dog would do well, and there are potential problems with barking and the neighbors.

Having said that, leaving a pet home alone all day is not the only option. You said she has a good job, so what about doggy daycare? My cousin only pays $10/day for her big, energetic dog! I'm sure it's more in some places, but it's actually less than some dog walkers charge. They get to play outside, socialize with other dogs, get human attention. Much happier dog, with the bonus of burning off lots of energy so that they enjoy a walk at home, but could skip it. It's a professional facility dedicated to dogs. 

It would also open up the possibility for a lot more breeds. 

51 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'll second the beagle suggestion.

One of ours is a 30 lb beagle mix. He is smart, happy, funny, and a total couch (dd's bed) potato during the day. He does get walks and training pretty much every afternoon, and needs that. He tends to get very active around 7-9 pm, which has led to our acquiring a stupendous collection of puzzle toys. Food motivates him very effectively, so he's quite good at obedience work (this may be more the "mix" than the "beagle", not sure). He sometimes barks, never bays or howls, can be stubborn, loves people, is exceedingly gentle, and generally is a joy to have around.

Our vet, who helped us adopt him, said beagles are a dime a dozen among local hunters. They are often neglected or lost during hunting. The local shelter, oddly, does not have many, but the rescue groups in surrounding counties are overrun with them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, katilac said:

I would not get a single pet of any kind to leave alone all day, five days a week. 

A single cat might do okay, but she'd have to be prepared for it to sleep all day and be up (and looking for attention) at night. Cats do play with each other and give each other a lot of attention, grooming, and so on. 

I don't think a dog would do well, and there are potential problems with barking and the neighbors.

Having said that, leaving a pet home alone all day is not the only option. You said she has a good job, so what about doggy daycare? My cousin only pays $10/day for her big, energetic dog! I'm sure it's more in some places, but it's actually less than some dog walkers charge. They get to play outside, socialize with other dogs, get human attention. Much happier dog, with the bonus of burning off lots of energy so that they enjoy a walk at home, but could skip it. It's a professional facility dedicated to dogs. 

It would also open up the possibility for a lot more breeds. 

Hm.  My two cats do not groom each other.  They also stay out of each other's way most of the time. 

I do agree though that maybe at this point in time she just doesn't have enough time for cats or dogs.  Maybe a fish?  A fish REALLY does not care.  Hehe..

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I was also thinking greyhound.

• Like 1

A male cat. Male cats are more affectionate. I've had three males and they were/are all lap cats. My vet is the one who mentioned to me that males are known to be more affectionate than females. I think that a dog is a bit too high maintenance for her with her schedule.

thank you for suggestions.  it will not be a cat.   we went and visited my friend with the ragdoll. . . . . allergies.   too bad, so sad.   and she feeds him a very high quality wet/grain-free diet.  

she really doens't want a puppy.  while she's happy to do obedience training - she doesn't want a baby that need to be toilet trained.

I'm looking at rescues - as the humane society... again . . 75% are pit/mixes.

16 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Are there other rescues in the area? Ones that don't have a B&M building, but Foster their rescues. They then bring them to adoption days at pet stores. Or a bread specific rescue once she decides on one? Google "dog rescue your city"

quite a few.   I've been going through their pages.  lots of chihuahua mixes.  some terriers.  other's.  generally smaller dogs.  two different ones have "events" this weekend, so we'll go to those.  and there are other B&M shelters besides the one local to us. (though I think even those have a higher percentage of pits.)

I'm struggling not to get distracted by the few GSD. . . there was a six month old the owners decided they didn't have time . .. . I'm not getting one for me, and my yard isn't fenced - or I'd be sucked in.  i love GSDs. (1ds's gf has three.) I've previously had two.

we do have a few breeds in mind.  good for size and temperament. 

Would she be willing to hire a walking service?  I agree it's too long for a dog to be alone, even on her regular days.  I have had many friends through the years who were single and had dogs though.  They managed it by hiring someone to come in during the day.  

ETA or doggie daycare?  Then you wouldn't have to deal with someone coming in to your home.  

As far as dog breeds go that would work for her I would say Italian Greyhound.  They are very like big greyhounds total couch potatoes but can sleep 18hrs a  day but will play/run when you want.  I would be tempted to get two to keep each other company.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 6:50 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I'm looking at rescues - as the humane society... again . . 75% are pit/mixes.

Have you tried Petfinder? You can input what type of pet you want and how far you are willing to drive. Going 20 miles past your local humane society might open up some possibilities, 50 miles even more and so on. When people have certain breeds or mixes in mind, it's pretty common to have to travel a bit.

www.petfinder.com 

• Like 1

We found our last dog through Petfinder.org.  My sis found her dog that way too.  Both dogs are amazing! Mine is a black mouth cur mix (about the size of a lab) and hers is a GSD x terrier.  Neither of us were looking for these breeds or mixes, but wound up with fabulous dogs.  You can do temperament assessments when you meet the animal, which are remarkably effective.  Some shelters actually let you take the dog home for a sleep over to see how it works out.

Also, Petfinder links shelters, rescues, and owner re-homing animals and it’s nation wide (so not just your local shelter).

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Have you tried Petfinder? You can input what type of pet you want and how far you are willing to drive. Going 20 miles past your local humane society might open up some possibilities, 50 miles even more and so on. When people have certain breeds or mixes in mind, it's pretty common to have to travel a bit.

www.petfinder.com 

yes - we've been on petfinder, and petco's version.  there are some possibilities.

we went to a joke of an adoption event today.   she chose that one because they had adults.(there was a much larger adopt-event with as many as 45 dogs, but many of them are puppies.)   they had six small dogs  re: mostly chihuahuas.(and pits)...

due to location - we could only go to one.

there's another one elsewhere next week associated with a local pet store. and petco has adoption events monthly where rescues come in and let people meet the dogs.

then with online there's the whole attitude of "fill out this application (or we'll ignore you), and after we've talked to your references (and your vet) and visited your house - we'll decide if we'll let you meet the one dog in which you've expressed interest."

a cat would be SO MUCH easier!   but .. allergies.

we had to pay to park, and pay to get into the event.   complete rip off and left us wanting nothing to do with that particular shelter.   rescue.

oh - you really need to go through petco's version of their breed list.

eddie and fraiser's friends

toto's pals

taco bell dog's amigos

almost a horse

I appreciated the humor.

eta: and some of those applications - want to know where you WORK  (and your job title.)

What about rabbits? There is a shelter in Woodinville and another out on the peninsula, I believe. Just suggesting because I worked FT with a dog at home for years. I made it work but would never recommend it to anyone else, particularly someone who is single. I had to meet all of my dog's exercise and emotional needs whenever I wasn't at work and sacrificed a lot of flexibility over it. Many times (in fact, just about every time) I wanted to go out after work with friends, I had to go home instead because my dog. I don't regret it--he was the best dog ever, and my baby before I had kids, but again, looking back, it wasn't an ideal situation. 

27 minutes ago, Mrs. Tharp said:

What about rabbits? There is a shelter in Woodinville and another out on the peninsula, I believe. Just suggesting because I worked FT with a dog at home for years. I made it work but would never recommend it to anyone else, particularly someone who is single. I had to meet all of my dog's exercise and emotional needs whenever I wasn't at work and sacrificed a lot of flexibility over it. Many times (in fact, just about every time) I wanted to go out after work with friends, I had to go home instead because my dog. I don't regret it--he was the best dog ever, and my baby before I had kids, but again, looking back, it wasn't an ideal situation. 

tell me more about rabbits as a pet.  My experience with rabbits (from other's - I never had one) was in an out door cage.

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

tell me more about rabbits as a pet.  My experience with rabbits (from other's - I never had one) was in an out door cage.

We have two house rabbits. They are litter box trained. They eat hay and pellets (like kibble) and some fresh veggies. They need fresh water as well. Some rabbits are more cuddly than others. They need daily exercise time outside of their cage. Some people are allergic. 

And rabbits are trainable. I had one as a kid who learned how to go upstairs; he also knew where the treats were kept. We could not have dogs but the rabbit was a lot of fun. I think life span is between 6-8 years but it may vary with different breeds.