Menu

BBC quiz

MEmama

I got Don Airy from Deep Purple - Sunderland. I am kinda pleased with the Deep Purple reference but otherwise it has no meaning to me!

I suspect a couple of questions pegged the broad Aussie accent (eg. chance = ran)

• Like 1

I got Yorkshire the first time, West London the second. Lol

I've noticed random "r" s sneaking into my words lately, coastal Maine style. Like in "law" or "draw" which are becoming "lawr" and "drawr". It's subtle, but sometimes it catches my attention.

I still have a lot of East coast Canadian in my accent too. And occasionally Minnesotan will sneak out. :).

• Like 1

I got West London, 😆. I am not a native speaker, and I have lived about as long on the East Coast as the West Coast and also in England, but it was in Cambridge, East Anglia. So, close enough?

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 1

I got Suffolk too. Can’t imagine an American getting anything else. There was only one way to pronounce each word!

Really? IME, Americans have a crazy variety of vowel pronunciations. 

ETA: I know this has been posted before, but I think it's super cool. I've taken it a few times and it never fails to peg my city within 25 miles.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

Edited by Sassenach
  • Like 3

I got Yorkshire the first time, West London the second. Lol

I've noticed random "r" s sneaking into my words lately, coastal Maine style. Like in "law" or "draw" which are becoming "lawr" and "drawr". It's subtle, but sometimes it catches my attention.

I still have a lot of East coast Canadian in my accent too. And occasionally Minnesotan will sneak out. :).

Embrace the extra "r"'s -- since that "r" falls out of other words, it all evens out in the end. ;)

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

I got Suffolk too. Can’t imagine an American getting anything else. There was only one way to pronounce each word!

:lol:

That is what I thought about my results: East Midlands!

BTW, dd got East Midlands too. Not surprising since she grew up around me; however, I used to say "winda" and "pilla" for window and pillow and my parents never did. I also said, "dorter" for daughter (my mother said it this way) and had to work to stop saying all 3 words that way as an adult. 

Edited by Angie in VA

ETA: I know this has been posted before, but I think it's super cool. I've taken it a few times and it never fails to peg my city within 25 miles.

Oh.my.word!

Of the three most similar cities I was born in one and spent most of my life w/in 25 miles of the other. WOW!

I'm totally sending this link to my kids to see what their results are!

West London.

I didn't notice the shaded map after each question, would have like to see more details.

I was surprized that scone did not rhyme with gone in Scotland, according to the map. Or did I look wrong? My Scottish mother was absolutely adamant that scone had to rhyme with gone, if it was the scone you ate. But Stone of Scone was thyme during with own.

• Like 1

This put me in the right general area of the country, but culturally a quite different spot. I blame my grandparents--I know that I picked up some of the terms in the quiz from my midwestern grandmother and my West Virginia grandfather. :)

I was surprized that scone did not rhyme with gone in Scotland, according to the map. Or did I look wrong? My Scottish mother was absolutely adamant that scone had to rhyme with gone, if it was the scone you ate. But Stone of Scone was thyme during with own.

Scottish accents are interesting.  There's posh Scottish (which sounds more like southern English) and then the various regional Scottish accents, so it varies by class as well as region.  I would expect a posh Scot to say 'scone' that you eat to rhyme with 'gone'.

The 'Scone' in the Stone of Scone normally rhymes with 'moon', because it refers to the  town of that name, from the Gaelic.  Pronunciation on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone,_Perth_and_Kinross

• Like 3

That one put me in NC. I grew up in PA and have been in GA for almost the same length of time. A lot of those I use different words not the same one all the time. Even when I lived in PA, I personally never said Yinz because it hurts my ears. 

They correctly pegged me as a non-American, and suggested New York City as the only place I'm likely to find mutually intelligible conversation.

:laugh:

Scottish accents are interesting. There's posh Scottish (which sounds more like southern English) and then the various regional Scottish accents, so it varies by class as well as region. I would expect a posh Scot to say 'scone' that you eat to rhyme with 'gone'.

The 'Scone' in the Stone of Scone normally rhymes with 'moon', because it refers to the town of that name, from the Gaelic. Pronunciation on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone,_Perth_and_Kinross

Thank you. My mother's family was well educated, with advanced degrees, but not posh at all. My mother's overall accent was more Scottish than English.

I could be mistaken about the Stone of Scone. We visited when I was 10 years old (long ago), got a lecture about pronunciation, and probably never discussed it again. On the other hand, people often mispronounced the food, and my mother started off on a catalogue of words mispronounced every.single.time. But she always pronounced bagel so it rhymed with haggle.

I be sure to rhyme the Stone with moon if the subject ever comes up. Thanks!

I got East Midlands, though I don't pronounce withdrawal with either of the options they gave, so I just chose one. I love how we're all trying to have British accents. Nope, I still sound like an American.  :lol:

Ditto. I say it "with-droll" like doll with an extraneous r.

As an aside this is why we seem to struggle with a lot of phonics stuff that's produced in US. They are like "write down all the vowel sounds with a long a" or all the words with this sound and we're like wha? There aren't any words with those sounds!

I struggled tremendously in my phonetics class as the author of my textbook has a Midwestern accent and I've got a slight New England one. Not so bad as to go dropping all my r's like my grandma did but enough so that the vowels are often different.

As an aside this is why we seem to struggle with a lot of phonics stuff that's produced in US. They are like "write down all the vowel sounds with a long a" or all the words with this sound and we're like wha? There aren't any words with those sounds!

No phonics program is taking my schwas away! I *like* them. :lol:

I got East Midlands.  I didn't recognize any of the famous people (and I thought I knew all of the 20 British actors.)  I took it a second time (becaues I am procrastinating) but only 1 question was different.

Same here. The second time I only got two or three different questions but at least I recognized two of the celebrities - Bob Hoskins and Ed Sheeran. The first time I didn't know any of them (and don't recall their names).

While I might pronounce a few words in a similar manner I seriously doubt that in any city or town in the East Midlands they'd mistake me for one of their own. :D

• Like 1