Menu

Divorced & homeschooling

What are you doing to be able to homeschool?

How are you supporting yourself? (Do you rent or own a home, if it is your marriage home, please share that too.)

Do you get alimony or just child support?

Do you work from home?

Did you go back to school to be able to work from home? (Any recommendations on what to do?)

Please understand that I can't share too much what is going on in my own life on such a public board but I need to know that even if I have to stop homeschooling for a year or so that there is hope we can return to it.

I understand if you don't feel comfortable about sharing.

p.s. there's no mention of this at my blog which is for homeschooling only- when the time is right (and safe), I'll talk about what is going on more but at this time, I can't.

Edited by Trivium Academy

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:

Those are all questions i'm working thru right now myself - i have no wisdom to impart, other than do NOT make any changes (like going to work) before you see a lawyer.

My intent is to keep HSing no matter what - but we are in a different position that we own our home outright. There are some issues and i'm pretty sure i will/would end up with the house without having to pay him much for a buyout.

That leaves me with a small enough amount of money i would need weekly to live on coupled with any child support.

More hugs - it's not easy :grouphug:

Oh Jessica, so sorry that you are having rough times right now. I was divorced but luckily, I had family to rely on and I was not homeschooling yet. So I didn't really have to deal with many of those issues. The emotional issues are hard enough. I hope that you get some useful info and I wish you the best of luck as you go through this difficult time. :grouphug:

Well, I'm seeking a part time job at night right now just to be able to afford counseling. I'll call a lawyer today to get a consult, I need the counseling first and foremost.

I'm living proof that miracles can happen in a marriage. I will hope and pray for you, first, a miracle. Then peace, of course, and healing,no matter what the ultimate outcome.

Hugs, Jessica.

When my 3 oldest kids' dad and I divorced, I worked 3 - 12 hour shifts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night at a nursing home. That left me home all day with my children 4.5 days per week. They would go to their dad's house Friday evening and stay until 10:30 pm on Sunday as that is when I could pick them up. (I worked 2nd shift).

Worked well for our situation at that time, and since I was willing to work all weekends and 2nd shift, the nursing home was only too happy to accomodate me. My working weekends enabled me to keep my children out of daycare since they could stay with their dad. They had nice 2nd shift hours: 2 pm - 10 pm. So my sleeping hours were 'normal' and I didn't need to sleep during the day on Monday after the kids came back home, or any of the days they were home.

I'm praying for you, honestly, while we made it fine, I would not wish it on any child. :grouphug:

Edited by Titus.Two.Five

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Well, I am not divorced but my dh and I do both work full time (and I am taking graduate classes) and we still homeschool so it can be done. One thing is working towards having your children do much of their work independently and the other is being creative...we school in the evenings, on weekends, year-round, used nannies...whatever it takes.

Praying for your marriage...

Big :grouphug:, Jessica! Have you sought Christian counseling? Inexpensive and in some cases, free. I feel you. I've been through a world wind of things in my marriage, too many and personal to mention here but God is restoring what has been broken. Some have even wondered why I have remained married and how I'm even sane but I give God all of the glory. I could not love and certainly could not pray for my dh if it wasn't for God. I pray healing for you either way. I definitely know how hard it can be.

Jessica, I have been in your shoes. I know how scary this all is. I am a planner and an organizer so I needed to know all of the ins and outs before I actually left. God very graciously brought some good friends into my life to show me the path that He wanted me to take. I will pray that He will do the same for you.

It has been 6 weeks since I decided that I wasn't going to leave. Alot has happened in that time. Most of the changes have been in my attitude but I can see little changes in my Beloved as well and this gives me hope. Lots of hope.

Please know that I am praying for you and hugging you in my heart.

Jessica,

I have 4 dc and have homeschooled for 5 yrs. I've been divorced for about 3 yrs. after a 20 yr. marriage. I was awarded the house. Before the divorce, I had not worked since 1994. Even then, it was part time.

My ex was ordered through the court to pay child support and life time alimony. He instead left the state and has never paid a cent of the alimony. He does pay his child support but not on time and not w.out constant upkeep on my end. He has seen the dc once in 3 yrs.

Shortly after the divorce I started taking in children to watch during the day. I watch 6 children from about 7am -5pm. My goal was to make at least what I got in child support in order to never have to depend on it or on anyone else. It's not an ideal lifestyle by any means. I miss the freedom to take the kids where I want, when I want but I could not bring myself to put them in school or leave them at night. This is about as close as I can get right now to ideal because I get to stay with the dc.

The other change I had was meeting a great guy. I refer to him here as my dh but we are not married. He has 4 dc and he and his son live here as well. I don't look at his income as necessary to make my budget because I made sure to make enough to cover things.

I'm not sure if this is any help other than just answering your questions and letting you know that I completely understand any fears you may have right now. Your blog has been such an inspiration to me (and Catherine!) and so if there is a way I can give back to you, I will. :grouphug:

Years ago, my hubby and I separated, but the opinion of both of us was that the children were supposed to homeschool so though difficult, he supported us enough for that. I tried to work an MLM but was unsuccessful. I assume I probably would have babysat or found something in time (though it was an extremely small town in the middle of nowhere so the likelihood of finding something was slim). Hubby and I reconciled in fairly short order though (we believe there is only one scriptural ground for divorce and even then it sometimes is worked out).

If something happened now, I'd work from home while finishing up my degree and homeschooling my son. It'd be extremely hard considering my health, but...

Of course, I hope all works out for you and yours.

2 things- first of all I am praying for you in this time-whatever is going on the Lord is our strongtower and our very present help in time of need. Second- and you may not like this suggestion, most women don't- but read Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl. Pray and read, then pray some more. If you can not afford this book please PM me and I will send you out a copy. I have seen marriages and lives transformed through this book. I am sure to get tomatoes for even recommending it, but I can not read your post and not beg you to read it. :grouphug:

And I recommend true Biblical counseling

And I will repeat the verses I quoted another time. Your husband needs to be dwelling on these very seriously.

1 Timothy 3:1-3:7

1 It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.

2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.

4He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity

5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?),

6and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

And of course, you should be studying the scriptures to see that you are being the wife God would want you to be.

And I recommend true Biblical counseling

And I will repeat the verses I quoted another time. Your husband needs to be dwelling on these very seriously.

1 Timothy 3:1-3:7

1 It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.

2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.

4He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity

5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?),

6and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

And of course, you should be studying the scriptures to see that you are being the wife God would want you to be.

This will be my last comment on this thread, but I just wanted to say that Yes, all these things are true that you said as well. No arguing that -it is in the Bible. However, she can not change her husband, she can only change herself and her reactions. Debi Pearl's book is written just to the wives, what she can and should do. Michael is working on one just for the husbands and it will address the husbands responsibility, and what they are to do- He has a tape now I think it is called For Men Only. I am responsible to God on how I submit to my husband, my husband is responsible to God for how he leads. That is all I will say on the matter as I do not wish to start a debate on Jessica's thread. :D

Edited by Free Indeed
clarifying

Jessica,

Continuing to pray for you...

In regards to counseling, I don't recall if you've sought counseling before, so I just wanted to encourage you to make sure you find one that's a good fit. A good match, one that feels right is vital. It can be a chore doing those first "interviews" with folks to feel them out, but when you settle on the right person, it is so worth it. Hoping you will seek a strong, Biblical Christian counselor, as times like these (maybe especially when married to a pastor) can impact our relationship with the Lord.

Thank you for trusting the hive with your heart.

I know you get child support from your first DH. If you get decent support from your current DH, that will help a lot.

Will you stay where you are or move? Will there be a lot of debt to split? Do you have any job skills? Do you have family you can rely on?

Is your DH going to be supportive of homeschooling?

I do think you need a consultation with an attorney. It really helps just to organized the issues and to think realistically about the future.

God's peace to you, Jessica :grouphug:

This will be my last comment on this thread, but I just wanted to say that Yes, all these things are true that you said as well. No arguing that -it is in the Bible. However, she can not change her husband, she can only change herself and her reactions. Debi Pearl's book is written just to the wives, what she can and should do. Michael is working on one just for the husbands and it will address the husbands responsibility, and what they are to do- He has a tape now I think it is called For Men Only. I am responsible to God on how I submit to my husband, my husband is responsible to God for how he leads. That is all I will say on the matter as I do not wish to start a debate on Jessica's thread.

I agree with you completely. We have the book you are referring to and the tape. I believe that since we are also fellow believers (co-heairs with Christ) with our husbands, that we can also speak scriptural exhortation as well. I do not intend for her to smash him over the head with the verses, but they do need to be spoken.

In an ideal situation, as the elder of a group of believers, the other elders should know of these difficult times and be there to exhort and encourage. Unfortunately, this is one of those one-pastor churches where there is no accountability and quite possibly the only person in the flock that knows whats going on is the couple involved. God really did set up a fabulous system for coming together as believers -- I do wish more people would take time to study how it was designed to function.

Putting your dc in school would be a huge mistake, legally, IMO. You want to establish that they have always been homeschooled, with their father's support. With joint legal custody, which is the 'norm', the father does have say, so you want a good HS case under your belt.

Jessica,

I don't know this at all to be your case but I agree with this poster by my experience in court when it came to this topic. I just continued to do everything I always did and I didn't act as if I could not do it anymore. My ex and his attorney did attempt to make it an issue. Again, no assumptions here, just sharing my personal experience.

Jessica, so sorry this is going on. I hope that God has restoration in the plans rather than divorce.

I personally have not gone through this, but my sister has, and it has been difficult. It totally depends on what your husband is like. My sister's husband prohibited her from homeschooling. He withheld money long enough to make her get a job and then used her income to diminish alimony to basically immaterial. Then, he persuaded the children to live with him so he cut out child support. He did this just to get back at her, and it is a long road to making things right with the kids.

Think hard about who it is you're married to,and what his possible responses would be. Other posters say the husband left without contact, that would have been easier for my dear sister. Instead he got mean and nasty.

He left her with the house, and huge mortgage payment. It's upside down now, with the low RE prices.

Her kids are in public school and would never choose to come back to homeschooling or christian school. She'll be lucky if she ever gets her kids to live with her again. Because she doesn't have money, it's hard to win them over. He bribes them, and teens love that. All their friends have these things,and they wouldn't dream of going without.

Divorce is never an easier answer. In this case, she ended up giving up everything that was dear to her, without even a choice. It's been 3 years, and they still are not settled in court,and fighting continues. I would never wish this on anyone. I pray that the good things that you saw in each other can again be obvious, and the commitment that God tied between you would be the hope necessary to live other centered again.

SUnny

Jessica.....

Please know I am praying for you......I wanted to send you a few :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Also, I was divorced but I was not homeschooling at the time. But, my aunt has done it and she just found "freelance" type jobs...tutoring, parenting coaching, homeschooling, child care etc.

Good luck and hugs to you and your family,

Alison

Oh Jessica, I am sorry.

DH and I came came v-e-r-y close to divorce when my youngest was a toddler. What I worked out was that I could continue to stay home with my kids (hsing was only a thought at that time) if I did home daycare. That was the only possibility I could see, as DH would not be able to reliably care for the kids (ie every other weekend, etc) due to his work.I had zero family support (no where to go stay with family, etc) and was completely alone.

It was a terrible, horrible time, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.I am truly sorry you are going through this.

We worked things out, of sorts. I'll throw tomatoes at the Debi Pearl book, LOL. Thats the last thing our marriage needed- unless it was to throw it at DH's fool head. He's well aware of that, so I don't feel like I'm badmouthing him here. Counseling is vital, IMO.

I just can't tell you how sorry I am you are in this place with your marraige. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about it. You and your precious children will be in our prayers here. :grouphug:

Do not change anything about your children's lives at all right now!!! Don't put them in school; don't quit homeschooling them. Judges don't like it when the kids lives are changed that drastically. It came back to bite the backside of a good friend and my own attorney confirmed that dc need their lives to be as unchanged as possible during the transition time.

That said, I am able right now to stay home because I get alimony and child support. I got a portion of his retirement cashed out (I had to pay taxes on that, but no fees) and was able to use part of that on the down payment of a home, bought a car (I was awarded the 10 year old van; he got the new car.) and got ourselves set up on our home. I don't get alimony forever, though and I may go back to court and request it for the duration of Dd's educational years.

Anyway, If you have a good attorney, it can be done. We have to be frugal, but God has provided well for us and we lack nothing.

I'm sorry for what you're going through and I hope with counseling, you never have to pursue a divorce. :grouphug:

I have been separated for 7.5 years now, homeschooling for 3, so I did a lot of things prior to beginning homeschooling such as going back to college (twice), working in different kinds of jobs etc.

To support the family now finances come in from various areas. First in Canada every parent is eligible for the child tax benefit which is a monthly amount of money given to us, as a low income single parent I get the max amount so it is a decent sized deposit each month. Plus I get another $200 for disability benefits for my oldest son. Secondly, my ex has finally after all these years has decided to pay child support, He pays me monthly what I was making working fulltime the year I started homeschooling. I also live in subsidized housing to keep my rent low. Lastly, I deliver flyers 3 days a week, right now with just the one route we make $400/month, we are adding another route in a week or two.

Previously I was working in before and afterschool care, where I could bring the kids to work with me for free, make a living and have the bulk of the day in between shifts to homeschool them.

I do not get alimony, and until last christmas I did not get child support for over 2 years. Now I get child support and extras when I ask for the kids school materials. Also here in Alberta we get funding for homeschooling to buy materials so that eases the burden on my regular budget.

I am sorry to hear you are facing this decision.

I moved out when I divorced, purchasing a duplex. My tenant's rent covers my housing costs.

Part of our divorce agreement specifies that he must pay for half of the children's educational expenses.

Our business has been eBay. We have a phone with a bar code scanner that allows us to check the average selling price of anything with a bar code. At yard sales, auctions, flea markets, and church rummage sales, we pick up anything that's worth over $15 on eBay but selling for less than $2 in front of us. Endicia shipping software, the phone, and a van were the only upfront costs, and the sky's the limit. On year we picked up a truckload of books from a library for $2000 and sold them over the course of 18 months for about $10,000. I'm certain that I'd keep doing that, if I were single again.

I'm sorry that you're going through this, but you're a smart and resourceful woman and I have no doubt that you'll figure something out.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Jessica,

First of all :grouphug:!

I went through a divorce about 9 years ago in Texas. Each state has different laws, etc so contact with an attorney in your state is your first step. My experience may be different in Texas then in your state so please keep that in mind.

In Texas, I learned....the homeschooling laws ( we are considered a private school in Texas) have absolute no bearing in Family Court. Meaning if my ex husband made a issue of homeschooling and I continued to do so AND the judge agreed with the ex I would either be forced to put them in a school or lose custody of my kids. So check that out first.......fortunately he did not....actually he didn't even think about the fact that the kids were homeschooling until years later but that is another long story. :lol:

You asked about employment. I work parttime as a nurse. Originally when I was a single parent I worked weekend/nights and had grandparents watching the kids. It is possible to work and homeschool! Just know that if it comes to that you can do it!

Alimony/Child support. NO alimony.....I could have fought for it but in Texas Alimony is a foreign concept even though it is law. :lol: I receive Child support most of the time. He did not pay for a year and is only paying only about 1/2 of what is currently court ordered. I could go to court ( $$$$) and attempt to get back childsupport , etc. but know several people that have attempted this with little success. If I did this I would have to quit accepting what he is currently willing to pay and let the courts work it out.....think years if ever. I decided to just let it go and accept what he pays so the kids have access to some money. He is not all bad ....he has continued paying the 1/2 rate even though the oldest is over 18 so maybe he's going to make up that year he didn't pay on the backside. I don't know. I just know I wouldn't want to make a budget where child support is a given because it might not be.

My dad gave me the best advice when I was going through my divorce.....the only important things to get out of it is your kids and your sanity. Everything else is just stuff!

You can do this! I'll be praying for your family . Whatever the outcome may be know that you can get through it!

I am divorced and homeschooling though I will be remarrying soon I believe.

I got child support in a generous amount and alimony in a small amount. In addition to that I provide childcare and some tutoring to fill the gap. If you have any specific questions please feel free to pm me.

Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to work full-time and homeschool. I have a friend who does this. Her kids go to a family daycare during the day, and she homeschools them in the evening and on weekends, using a WTM method. Both children are doing exceptionally well.

No other advice to offer you, just another :grouphug:.