Menu

Not losing weight on Weight Watchers

Shellydon

I posted on the WW Freestyle thread, but now I cannot find it (what is up with that search function!).

I started WW 3 weeks ago.  I want to lose 20-25lbs and was assigned 23 points per day and 30 weekly points.  I end up with 50ish fit points a week which I do not use.  I haven't not yet used up all of the weekly points.  I am tracking everything I eat.  I have weighed myself 3 times and have not yet lost anything.  I will weight myself daily this week and see if there are any changes, but I am really surprised.  I feel that I am eating less that I was previously.  I already did not drink soda or alcohol.  My biggest weak point is sugar in my coffee and I am measuring and tracking it and staying within my points.  Any suggestions?   I don't exercise, but I am active, logging 8K-12K steps per day just in normal life.

I posted on the WW Freestyle thread, but now I cannot find it (what is up with that search function!).

I started WW 3 weeks ago. I want to lose 20-25lbs and was assigned 23 points per day and 30 weekly points. I end up with 50ish fit points a week which I do not use. I haven't not yet used up all of the weekly points. I am tracking everything I eat. I have weighed myself 3 times and have not yet lost anything. I will weight myself daily this week and see if there are any changes, but I am really surprised. I feel that I am eating less that I was previously. I already did not drink soda or alcohol. My biggest weak point is sugar in my coffee and I am measuring and tracking it and staying within my points. Any suggestions? I don't exercise, but I am active, logging 8K-12K steps per day just in normal life.

Are you close to menopause? That has been my problem. I need to lose 20 or so....seems MUCH more difficult this time around than when I lost 12 pounds 15 years ago.

• Like 2

I gained weight on weight watchers.  In order for me to lose weight, I have to eat 1200 calories a day, manage my carb/fat/protein levels using My Fitness Pal, and exercise 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time.  I will lose 1/4-1/2 lb. a week.  My metabolism is pretty much nil, and my thyroid levels are aggressively managed medically.  It just flat out sucks.

Essentially, I eat:

breakfast: protein shake or 2 eggs

lunch: salad

supper: lean protein + non-starchy veggies

• Like 5

Are you close to menopause? That has been my problem. I need to lose 20 or so....seems MUCH more difficult this time around than when I lost 12 pounds 15 years ago.

Thanks!  How did you find it?  I searched and I looked for my posts and nada...

I am mid-forties, so I am probably close to menopause, but no signs yet.

I gained weight on weight watchers.  In order for me to lose weight, I have to eat 1200 calories a day, manage my carb/fat/protein levels using My Fitness Pal, and exercise 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time.  I will lose 1/4-1/2 lb. a week.  My metabolism is pretty much nil, and my thyroid levels are aggressively managed medically.  It just flat out sucks.

Essentially, I eat:

Ugh.  That sounds awful. I will just stay chubby rather than do that.  I don't seem to gain weight, but I sure can't lose it.

• Like 2

Thanks! How did you find it? I searched and I looked for my posts and nada...

I am mid-forties, so I am probably close to menopause, but no signs yet.

New posts and set the criteria to search for threads you have posted in.......if you didn't post in it, well harder to find.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know if you saw it in the other thread but you might need to tweak it. Add a little good fat or a bit more calories.

Also, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go by weight alone. Go by how your clothes fit. I only lost a little over ten lbs last year but dropped four pants sizes.

Good fat as in nuts and avocado?  My clothes are still tight :)

I gained weight on weight watchers. In order for me to lose weight, I have to eat 1200 calories a day, manage my carb/fat/protein levels using My Fitness Pal, and exercise 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time. I will lose 1/4-1/2 lb. a week. My metabolism is pretty much nil, and my thyroid levels are aggressively managed medically. It just flat out sucks.

Essentially, I eat:

I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m the same way. Even being careful with free foods, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sound well on WW. I also have thyroid disease that is well managed, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s still pretty much killed my metabolism.

WW lost its effectiveness with me at least two points versions ago.

If the free foods are not free, then I will get fat on them.  And the 'free foods' masks very real and large variations in calories--for instance, cabbage vs. apricots, both of which I eat in large quantities, have VERY different calorie loads per cup.  I don't find the tool helpful if it doesn't show this.  It's all well and good to say 'keep your free food intake lowish' but that entirely defeats the purpose of tracking, at least for me.

• Like 4

I use the old Points Plus program, where the only free foods are fruit & most veg. I am supposed to get 35 daily points and 49 weekly, but I only lose if I stick around 30 daily and no weekly. Or maybe I only lose if I skip bread. I just know when I tried eating 35+ per day, I gained. I think my metabolism is just low.

I won't do Freestyle because I would eat way more calories if I didn't have to count their zero point proteins. I need to track those too. I use iTrackBitrs app. I'm down 8 lbs so far this month

• Like 1

Have you ever had your gallbladder removed?

I know, weird question but there is a subset of people who gain weight/cannot lose weight post removal. It can he quite stressful for these people because their body behaves as if they are starving or in a calorie deficient time no matter what. This was me. I was 125lbs my entire life, even after a couple pregnancies. I had to have my gallbladder out with my DD pregnancy. I was still around 125lbs after having her but then the surgery occurred. A year after surgery I was 180lbs. Two years after surgery I was 215lb. It was startling. I wasn't eating differently at all. My doctor hand waved and said it was probably because I was in pain and couldn't eat before surgery. That was hilarious. My gallbladder was an emergency removal and nothing much different happened before or after by way of eating. My metabolism just no longer worked. I felt like I was going crazy.

After digging through research journals and looking at case studies I was able to figure it out with no help from any doctor. I now have to take a supplement regime, maintain a low fat/low catb/high protein diet and weight train to lose.

Sorry for the aside, but whenever I read of people who cannot lose unless on a starving low calorie intake or their metabolism gets stuck I just like to throw this out in case it pertains. Many people just are not aware that some people struggle in this way.

• Like 1

Have you ever had your gallbladder removed?

I know, weird question but there is a subset of people who gain weight/cannot lose weight post removal. It can he quite stressful for these people because their body behaves as if they are starving or in a calorie deficient time no matter what. This was me. I was 125lbs my entire life, even after a couple pregnancies. I had to have my gallbladder out with my DD pregnancy. I was still around 125lbs after having her but then the surgery occurred. A year after surgery I was 180lbs. Two years after surgery I was 215lb. It was startling. I wasn't eating differently at all. My doctor hand waved and said it was probably because I was in pain and couldn't eat before surgery. That was hilarious. My gallbladder was an emergency removal and nothing much different happened before or after by way of eating. My metabolism just no longer worked. I felt like I was going crazy.

After digging through research journals and looking at case studies I was able to figure it out with no help from any doctor. I now have to take a supplement regime, maintain a low fat/low catb/high protein diet and weight train to lose.

Sorry for the aside, but whenever I read of people who cannot lose unless on a starving low calorie intake or their metabolism gets stuck I just like to throw this out in case it pertains. Many people just are not aware that some people struggle in this way.

I would love to know more about this.

I had my gall bladder out the year I gave birth, and subsequently did lose weight due to having to eat very low fat for several years afterwards but also I think due to breastfeeding.

Since then I just have grown and grown and grown.  It's discouraging.

• Like 1

I gained weight on weight watchers. In order for me to lose weight, I have to eat 1200 calories a day, manage my carb/fat/protein levels using My Fitness Pal, and exercise 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time. I will lose 1/4-1/2 lb. a week. My metabolism is pretty much nil, and my thyroid levels are aggressively managed medically. It just flat out sucks.

Essentially, I eat:

Wow. Are we twins?

ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s me, exactly. I lose 1/4 to 1/2 lb a week if eating 1200 calories a day and 60 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. If I slack on one or the other, the weight stays the same or increases. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s so frustrating! (HashimotoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s , AddisonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s here, no gall bladder or uterus, other issues complicating things.)

Not trying to derail the thread, just had to say hi to a crummy metabolism sister.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

My friend has hashimotos and other thyroid issues.  She has always been overweight.  I saw her recently, and she was looking good.  She said she has been sticking with WW and exercising, but she just finally acknowledged that it was going to take ridiculously long to see any changes.  She's been doing it 3 years with only very short off-times and has lost 25-30 pounds total now.  She had to switch from "results" to "health" motivation.  She is seeing results, it just takes a LONG time.

I admire her so much, and all the rest of you who have metabolism issues that make results slow to see.  How frustrating and difficult!   :grouphug:

I admit it shamed me, since I don't have that problem (just typical older female issues) and yet still find it really hard.  But if she can do it, I can do it!

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 4

I would love to know more about this.

I had my gall bladder out the year I gave birth, and subsequently did lose weight due to having to eat very low fat for several years afterwards but also I think due to breastfeeding.

Since then I just have grown and grown and grown. It's discouraging.

We are heading out to our classes for the day but when I get back I will pm you some info. I know a couple who work as a team (naturopath and dietician) who, since my experience, have really dug into this. They have uncovered a ton of small, subsets of research looking at specific enzymes that exist mostly in the gallbladder. For some people it is the ONLY place those fat emulsifying enzymes exist. Some doctors will say "well since you can no longer digest fat well it passes through you and you should lose weight" sure, without really thinking of compensatory response that makes surface sense. However, one thing that we do know about people who yo-yo diet end up messing up their metabolism. This happens because the body thinks it is starving or doesn't have access to food so it begins to hold onto/store energy for fear it will have a drought. That is why it is important to not starve yourself to lose weight.

With a missing gallbladder, our body's biochemical signaling gets out of whack. It does something similar. It isn't sensing all of the calories taken in. Our body starts to store energy in the form of fat because we must be in a drought. That is why another side effect can be exhaustion, brain fog, etc.

Many people who have had their gallbladder out also end up with later secondary diagnoses such as depression and fibromyalgia.

Sorry for the detail. I will stop now. Just wanted to make sure other people who see this thread and suffer from this might make a connection.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 2

I know absolutely nothing about WW but

around 1350 cals/day is where I need to be to lose. As this keeps coming up, I want to suggest that this is NORMAL. I think our ideas of portions and how much we can/should eat are out whack, not us. 

Middle aged women do not need many calories because it is normal for our metabolisms to slow. We're super efficient.

The earth's food resources can go to the young'uns who are building houses, plowing fields and making babies. It makes sense ....

I'm going to put in a plug for soups. Low fat soups are great at filling you up without adding tons of cals. Having cold smoothies and hot soups with meals really makes a difference for me. 

• Like 8

I know absolutely nothing about WW but

around 1350 cals/day is where I need to be to lose. As this keeps coming up, I want to suggest that this is NORMAL. I think our ideas of portions and how much we can/should eat are out whack, not us. 

Middle aged women do not need many calories because it is normal for our metabolisms to slow. We're super efficient.

The earth's food resources can go to the young'uns who are building houses, plowing fields and making babies. It makes sense ....

I'm going to put in a plug for soups. Low fat soups are great at filling you up without adding tons of cals. Having cold smoothies and hot soups with meals really makes a difference for me. 

Before surgery I never ever got full eating soup. Ever. Now i do, for sure, but it doesn't last. So that may or may not be a strategy that works. Seriously, never ever did I feel full on a low fat soup. Not anymore than drinking water made me full for any length of time. 

• Like 1

Before surgery I never ever got full eating soup. Ever. Now i do, for sure, but it doesn't last. So that may or may not be a strategy that works. Seriously, never ever did I feel full on a low fat soup. Not anymore than drinking water made me full for any length of time. 

Same here.  I need stuff to go with the soup to fill me up.  

• Like 1

We are heading out to our classes for the day but when I get back I will pm you some info. I know a couple who work as a team (naturopath and dietician) who, since my experience, have really dug into this. They have uncovered a ton of small, subsets of research looking at specific enzymes that exist mostly in the gallbladder. For some people it is the ONLY place those fat emulsifying enzymes exist. Some doctors will say "well since you can no longer digest fat well it passes through you and you should lose weight" sure, without really thinking of compensatory response that makes surface sense. However, one thing that we do know about people who yo-yo diet end up messing up their metabolism. This happens because the body thinks it is starving or doesn't have access to food so it begins to hold onto/store energy for fear it will have a drought. That is why it is important to not starve yourself to lose weight.

With a missing gallbladder, our body's biochemical signaling gets out of whack. It does something similar. It isn't sensing all of the calories taken in. Our body starts to store energy in the form of fat because we must be in a drought. That is why another side effect can be exhaustion, brain fog, etc.

Many people who have had their gallbladder out also end up with later secondary diagnoses such as depression and fibromyalgia.

Sorry for the detail. I will stop now. Just wanted to make sure other people who see this thread and suffer from this might make a connection.

I would love to know more about this. Gallbladder out over 20 years ago.

I am currently in medical weight loss program, and after loosing over 90 pounds , it has slowed the past few months. I am struggling to keep motivated to keep on.

fwiw, I don't always feel full on a soup either.  The soups with lots of legumes are filling hwvr for me soups & smoothies first prevent me from gorging on the rest of the meal (& let me ramp up my veg consumption) 

I also think we need to rethink feeling full. I don't think we need to be full... but that's a separate issue....

• Like 4

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I need more info! PLEASE... I had my gallbladder out then I got depression. I thought the weight gain was from the depression meds... but maybe it was a side effect of this.

When I get back this evening I will try to do a spin off thread with some links to get you started. Some doctors are informed about this but the vast majority have old school knowledge and don't seek out current scientific thought and studies on this. Don't even get me started on how much woman's health issues are neglected in science (gallbladder, fibromyalgia, migraines, etc).

Here is another interesting tidbit...many women have gallbladder issues during and post pregnancy...often times with the birth of a female baby. It is so much higher with a girl pregnancy. Nobody has bothered to really look into this but I do know that estrogen output from a female fetus is greater. I just get frustrated by the outdated assumption that the gallbladder is a residual organ that serves no necessary purpose except to hold and regulate bile. Much like the appendix, we now know they are indeed quite necessary for all sorts of body homeostasis.

Something to read to get you started...

https://mirandajorgenson.com/2014/07/is-your-gallbladder-or-lack-of-stopping-your-weight-loss/

Edited by nixpix5

fwiw, I don't always feel full on a soup either.  The soups with lots of legumes are filling hwvr for me soups & smoothies first prevent me from gorging on the rest of the meal (& let me ramp up my veg consumption) 

I also think we need to rethink feeling full. I don't think we need to be full... but that's a separate issue....

For me it's not about feeling full, it's about not feeling hungry. If we have soup for dinner and I LOVE having soup for dinner, I have to be super careful to eat enough protein or I will be hungry by bedtime. If I'm hungry by bedtime, then it bothers me all night so I have a bad night sleep. It's a cascading effect. In the end, I eat more soup than I would normally just so I eat enough of the proteins in it to not be hungry later. Ugh, so much thought going into the foods I eat just not to be hungry or to be overweight.

• Like 1

My friend has hashimotos and other thyroid issues. She has always been overweight. I saw her recently, and she was looking good. She said she has been sticking with WW and exercising, but she just finally acknowledged that it was going to take ridiculously long to see any changes. She's been doing it 3 years with only very short off-times and has lost 25-30 pounds total now. She had to switch from "results" to "health" motivation. She is seeing results, it just takes a LONG time.

I admire her so much, and all the rest of you who have metabolism issues that make results slow to see. How frustrating and difficult! :grouphug:

I admit it shamed me, since I don't have that problem (just typical older female issues) and yet still find it really hard. But if she can do it, I can do it!

That is great to hear, thank you for sharing about your friend.

I celebrate weight loss by tenths of pounds. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s excruciatingly slow. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been about 18 mos and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m down 16 lbs and have kept it off. I have accepted that itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s my lifestyle and there will be ups and downs, and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll just keep plugging away at it.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s good to hear a positive story.

• Like 7

Do you who track your calories find this to be accurate?

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

I am finding that to be accurate for me. I have been following WW for almost 5 months and have lost 18 pounds. I have also been double tracking on MFP since the rumors for the change to Freestyle. This seems like overkill - why pay for WW and then double track in MFP, but combining the two approaches is working for me. It keeps me in line with total calories, and requires me to eat a better balance of foods for weight loss for my body. According to the above my BMR is almost 1500. I try to eat that average per week. According to my fitbit, I burn a minimum of 1800-1900 calories a day. I currently exercise enough to get my average calories for the week burned per day to 2200. With some room for error, I am close to losing the correct amount. I am OK with 1500 calories a day and have found some good choices that allow me to feel full and mostly content with that average. Some days I might go as low as 1200, and others as high as 2500, but rarely.  I also stay in my points range. I don't really care for eggs, hate yogurt, and don't eat corn so other than too many beans, the change didn't affect me too much. 

The biggest change for me was in the old system when I was out of points I had veggies, when it changed I wanted beans and chicken chili. A few days of double tracking calories showed me that wasn't going to work.

FWIW I am 47 and menopausal with no diagnosed thyroid issues, but levels on the very high part of the range in all areas. As with all diets, it's very individual and the important thing is to do what you can stand to do for the long haul for your lifestyle and food preferences. I had tried low carb, intermittent fasting, whole 30, etc and they all worked, but I couldn't keep it up. This is liveable - so far - for me - YMMV  :laugh: Also, some weeks I lose 2.5 pounds, other weeks I gain .4, other weeks I lose .6. Even when I did the same thing as the week before. It's a long and weird process. I weigh every day and record it on the app called Happy Scale. 

I am no weight loss expert! Just sharing my personal experience for this short time I have been following WW. Losing 15 more pounds would get me to a healthy BMI, and 20-25 more pounds would get me to my goal weight I've set for now. 

• Like 3

I am finding that to be accurate for me. I have been following WW for almost 5 months and have lost 18 pounds. I have also been double tracking on MFP since the rumors for the change to Freestyle. This seems like overkill - why pay for WW and then double track in MFP, but combining the two approaches is working for me. It keeps me in line with total calories, and requires me to eat a better balance of foods for weight loss for my body. According to the above my BMR is almost 1500. I try to eat that average per week. According to my fitbit, I burn a minimum of 1800-1900 calories a day. I currently exercise enough to get my average calories for the week burned per day to 2200. With some room for error, I am close to losing the correct amount. I am OK with 1500 calories a day and have found some good choices that allow me to feel full and mostly content with that average. Some days I might go as low as 1200, and others as high as 2500, but rarely.  I also stay in my points range. I don't really care for eggs, hate yogurt, and don't eat corn so other than too many beans, the change didn't affect me too much. 

The biggest change for me was in the old system when I was out of points I had veggies, when it changed I wanted beans and chicken chili. A few days of double tracking calories showed me that wasn't going to work.

FWIW I am 47 and menopausal with no diagnosed thyroid issues, but levels on the very high part of the range in all areas. As with all diets, it's very individual and the important thing is to do what you can stand to do for the long haul for your lifestyle and food preferences. I had tried low carb, intermittent fasting, whole 30, etc and they all worked, but I couldn't keep it up. This is liveable - so far - for me - YMMV  :laugh: Also, some weeks I lose 2.5 pounds, other weeks I gain .4, other weeks I lose .6. Even when I did the same thing as the week before. It's a long and weird process. I weigh every day and record it on the app called Happy Scale. 

I am no weight loss expert! Just sharing my personal experience for this short time I have been following WW. Losing 15 more pounds would get me to a healthy BMI, and 20-25 more pounds would get me to my goal weight I've set for now. 

Thank you. I am just a bit older than you.....I have never tracked calories but I feel sure if I am staying within my points that I am good with the calories.  

But don't you get less points now to account for this?

But don't you get less points now to account for this?

You do - I lost 7 points, but I REALLY love beans and white chicken chili is a food i can easily overeat. Beans are very healthy, but they put me over my calorie and carb limit. For me - when they first became a zero point food, even with all their fiber and protein, I overate them because they did not satiate me. 

Thanks for all the insight.  Not sure what to do here.  I'd really, really like to lose this weight, but WW doesn't seem to be working.  Before this, I tried just increasing my steps per day from 10,000 to 15,000 (on average).  I added an extra 1-2 mile walk most days.  I didn't lose then either, so now I am trying cutting back my food.

• Like 1

I share this for those whose metabolism doesn't take to change easily. I worked for an internist years ago. We had a woman patient that I also knew personally. She followed an old WW diet ,counted calories carefully and did moderate exercise. She was diabetic. She kept at it for a good six weeks before she started losing weight. Eventually she lost 30 pounds but it was constant hard work. She felt it was worth it.

• Like 2

Do you who track your calories find this to be accurate?

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

I don't always track but according to the numbers I get when I do that is as close as any I've seen. I don't think there is any magic formula or diet, we have all got to tweak it to work for us and listen to our own bodies. I wish you luck Shelly, if this was easy no one would be overweight ever! Way back when, I put on 20+ lbs due to Depo. I started journalling my food, watching portions and what I ate and started exercising. It took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs but I don't remember being discouraged because the number wasn't the focus, evidently I'm not near as patient as I once was! That was the first time I ever had to lose weight, now I've been through it 4x for all my pregnancies and a couple more times (to a lesser degree) since my last baby when I developed thyroid disease and other issues, which I've had a hard time getting stabilized. I'm in the same boat as you, frustrated with my body!

• Like 1

I would drop the sugar completely. Table sugar is going to send your glucose levels out of whack, even in small, measured amounts. That puts your body at a deficit right at the beginning of the day.

I am sure you are right.  Sigh.  I will just give coffee completely, that will be easier. :)

I;m not a fan of the freestyle program, don't hate it but my weight loss has slowed way down.  I am still losing though. I've been on weight watchers since May 2017.  I have been very consistently following the program first Beyond the Scale and now Freestyle.  I've double tracked on my fitness pal for a while as well. I'm down 27lbs.  I also have been exercising consistently 3-5 days a week since July.  I've lost clothing size and wear a smaller pant than I did 5 yrs ago weighing the same weight or a little less.  I've found that really the leaders aren't much help with why our bodies won't give up the pounds.  They are better at encouraging us to keep going. 

Weighed yesterday, gained an ounce.  Craziness.  Totally not how I expected this to go down.

I weigh daily and can get off and then back on the scale within a minute and see differences bigger than this. That could be anything. If I am truly following the program and know that I should be losing something I will have the most success upping my water intake. That seems to be my deal breaker. I hope you find yours! 

I weigh in once a week. Beyond that my fluctuations are demotivating for me.

I have been on WW since July and am down 51+ pounds. I lost 5.2 on Freestyle this month. I'm solidly in peri, nearing 50. I have about 25 to go.

I agree with others that said to test how many weekly and fit points you need to lose. Some really do lose better eating all of those. I eat really clean with minimal sugar. I don't go nuts on zero foods but I do eat a lot of fruit (3 apples and a couple cops of berries a day isn't unusual). I have one bigger meal a week (usually pizza). I track and measure everything. I don't work out a ton but am increasing my daily steps. I'm missing the Beyond the Scale Program, but I lost with other WW programs and I'm confident I will with this one too. Yes, I'm a bit of a kool aid drinker, but I think it works and a longer trial will be worth the time of anyone just starting out. And the claim is .5-2# a week, but I know I always focus on the 2 end. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

• Like 2

Scarlett -- you beat me to the question.

I lost almost 50 lbs. twelve years ago.

I've kept it off, but I'm now three years past Menopause -- and OMG -- this is so hard. I'm still at 138/139, but I spend most of the day hungry.

Seems crazy. I just don't want to go back to my butterball-self. Being thin feels so much better.

If I can wrangle control of my evening-eating, I might be okay.

The older I get the more sugar seems to really bother me.

Good luck to everyone!!

Alley