Menu

Not losing weight on Weight Watchers

Shellydon

I gained weight on weight watchers.  In order for me to lose weight, I have to eat 1200 calories a day, manage my carb/fat/protein levels using My Fitness Pal, and exercise 4-5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time.  I will lose 1/4-1/2 lb. a week.  My metabolism is pretty much nil, and my thyroid levels are aggressively managed medically.  It just flat out sucks.

Essentially, I eat:

breakfast: protein shake or 2 eggs

lunch: salad

supper: lean protein + non-starchy veggies

Seriously, though. Don't you go through the day hungry and/or light headed?

That's my problem. And I'm not talking muchy-hungry (boredom eating), I'm talking hangry-hungry.

Alley

• Like 3

Are you close to menopause? That has been my problem. I need to lose 20 or so....seems MUCH more difficult this time around than when I lost 12 pounds 15 years ago.

Menopause is evil.

While the scale moves at a snails pace, I do lose inches by exercising and have gotten into smaller sizes that way.

Its also so much harder when you have less to lose ( I would be perfect with another 20 gone)

• Like 2

Scarlett -- you beat me to the question.

I lost almost 50 lbs. twelve years ago.

I've kept it off, but I'm now three years past Menopause -- and OMG -- this is so hard. I'm still at 138/139, but I spend most of the day hungry.

Seems crazy. I just don't want to go back to my butterball-self. Being thin feels so much better.

If I can wrangle control of my evening-eating, I might be okay.

The older I get the more sugar seems to really bother me.

Good luck to everyone!!

Alley

Sugar! Yes. I JUST told Dh tonight that I had protein bar at work but when I started eating it, it seems sickly sweet. I threw half away. I just can't seem to eat sugar anymore.

Seriously, though. Don't you go through the day hungry and/or light headed?

That's my problem. And I'm not talking muchy-hungry (boredom eating), I'm talking hangry-hungry.

Alley

Although...on low carb I eat WAY less than the typical high carb diet.  Her diet is pretty low carb.  It really helps curb this constant up and down hunger.

• Like 1

So I'm not using WW anymore, lol,but am down again! I've learned that my body loses weight on the day before or day of my period, maybe the day after. then bounces around, up or down one pound or so, until the next month and my next period. So I only really seem to get a good fun number right around my period, lol. 

Today I saw 152.8, which was amazing. Haven't seen 152 in I don't know how long. I'm positive that will bounce back up to 153, this low won't stick, but still, it's fun! And just last week i was bemoaning EVER getting past 155. I'd spend 2-3 weeks at 155, give or take a pound, but averaging 155. So yeah, the only good thing about getting my period is seeing the weight drop!

• Like 4

So I'm not using WW anymore, lol,but am down again! I've learned that my body loses weight on the day before or day of my period, maybe the day after. then bounces around, up or down one pound or so, until the next month and my next period. So I only really seem to get a good fun number right around my period, lol. 

Today I saw 152.8, which was amazing. Haven't seen 152 in I don't know how long. I'm positive that will bounce back up to 153, this low won't stick, but still, it's fun! And just last week i was bemoaning EVER getting past 155. I'd spend 2-3 weeks at 155, give or take a pound, but averaging 155. So yeah, the only good thing about getting my period is seeing the weight drop!

Congratulations! Squee! It is exciting to see a new number on the scale, especially one that you've not seen in awhile.

I've started going up when I start my period until a few days after,  right before my period is when I am generally the lightest and my appetite is usually lower. I'm sure it is hormone fluctuations. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Nice! You know just when to weigh! I’d be tempted to weigh monthly. :D

I have a number like that - it’s just the top of a new set of tens, and I get there for a day or two and bounce back up. Aaaagh! Fun to see it, at least.

I actually weigh daily, because staying the same or going down a tenth of a pound is significant here.

If I could lose 10 pounds more, just ten, I would be satisfied, but I seem to be stuck hovering right around this same place now for a looooong time.

Is it true that the less you have to lose, the harder it is? I had not heard that before.

I’m not using WW anymore either, sorry, OP, I don’t want to derail your thread.

Is it true that the less you have to lose, the harder it is? I had not heard that before.

Oh, definitely, you have to plan for that last ten pounds to be lost much more slowly than the first ten. 

WW doesn't work for me because of the way they penalize fat. I definitely have more success when I don't attempt low fat. I am never satiated on a low fat diet, even if I add in too many calories. Simple calorie counting used to work pretty well for me, but much less so as I get older (52). I have to make sure that the calories have enough fat and not many carbs; 1500 low fat and higher carb is not at all the same to my body as 1500 higher fat and lower carb. 

I keep waiting for someone to join me in the low carb, higher fat and protein corner. It's working for me, it's worth a try! 

Oh, definitely, you have to plan for that last ten pounds to be lost much more slowly than the first ten.

WW doesn't work for me because of the way they penalize fat. I definitely have more success when I don't attempt low fat. I am never satiated on a low fat diet, even if I add in too many calories. Simple calorie counting used to work pretty well for me, but much less so as I get older (52). I have to make sure that the calories have enough fat and not many carbs; 1500 low fat and higher carb is not at all the same to my body as 1500 higher fat and lower carb.

I keep waiting for someone to join me in the low carb, higher fat and protein corner. It's working for me, it's worth a try!

Oh darn. No wonder I’m stalled. Is there a trick to it, or is it just plugging away same as usual, just slower weight loss? I’ve got ten to go to my goal, and just plugging away at it is feeling ineffective.

I’m on a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet, per doc’s instructions after all else (including WW) failed. It’s the only thing that’s worked so far. So I hear ya, on that. 1200 calories, exercise 60 mins 4-5 times a week.

That's where I am, sort of. I am eating more carbs than most low carb people, but less carbs than most other people. My nutritionist wants me close to 100 grams of carbohydrate right now, while nursing, which seems to be working. And I try to get about the same in protein. The rest is fat, whatever that works out to. Eating about 1300-1500 calories. Losing about .5 pounds per week on average, although more like no weight for a few weeks, then 2-3 pounds in one week, lol. 

• Like 1

Oh darn. No wonder I’m stalled. Is there a trick to it, or is it just plugging away same as usual, just slower weight loss? I’ve got ten to go to my goal, and just plugging away at it is feeling ineffective.

I’m on a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet, per doc’s instructions after all else (including WW) failed. It’s the only thing that’s worked so far. So I hear ya, on that. 1200 calories, exercise 60 mins 4-5 times a week.

Just keep doing it. 

The reason is that 1 pound is a much bigger percentage of your weight now than it was when you started. They say you lose a certain percentage of your body weight each week...as your weight goes down the amount you lose goes down too, proportionally. 

• Like 3

Just keep doing it.

The reason is that 1 pound is a much bigger percentage of your weight now than it was when you started. They say you lose a certain percentage of your body weight each week...as your weight goes down the amount you lose goes down too, proportionally.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Man, I wish it could be easier.

That is awesome!  Congrats.

oh HELL yeah

I'm about 2 pounds overweight according to charts.  I lost about a pound a week steadily (bit more here or there...bit less here or there).  Took me about a year to lose nearly 50 pounds.  The last couple of pounds?  Forget it. It's been months and nothing is happening (despite increasing exercise and being careful with food). I kinda gave up on the idea.

Of course it's just a number...arrived at in what way I don't know.  So whatever.  I'm good.  I reached my goal damn it.  LOL 

• Like 6

oh HELL yeah

I'm about 2 pounds overweight according to charts. I lost about a pound a week steadily (bit more here or there...bit less here or there). Took me about a year to lose nearly 50 pounds. The last couple of pounds? Forget it. It's been months and nothing is happening (despite increasing exercise and being careful with food). I kinda gave up on the idea.

Of course it's just a number...arrived at in what way I don't know. So whatever. I'm good. I reached my goal damn it. LOL

Congratulations! Wow, that is awesome!

Yeh, I’m just totally stalled and keep hovering right at ten pounds over my goal. Gaaaah. And my goal is modest, darn it, I’m not looking to be a size zero again. Those days are gone. So I thought my modest goal was totally achievable, but man, this is nuts. Grrrrrrr.

• Like 1

If you are losing, albeit very slowly, then you are doing fine and will get there eventually. 

Sometimes a change will kickstart things a bit. Alter your exercise routine, adding some interval stuff if you don't already do that, or just shake up what you do. If you're usually at the gym, substitute a day of hiking and a day of swimming. If you keep your carbs/fats/proteins pretty steady every day, try mixing it up a bit, less carbs one day and more the next. Intermittent fasting definitely gives me a boost when I'm stuck - I don't do it all the time, just sometimes, but many people do it regularly. I just do what I consider the easy version, going for longer than 12 hours without eating.

Also, there is a wide variance to low carb. If you are at 50+ carbs, you might try an ultra low carb kickstart, like Atkins phase one, for even just a week or so, to see if that gets the needle to move. So far, I haven't gained back anything I've lost on a kickstart, even after upping my carbs afterwards. 

• Like 2

(hugs) after a month on a program and not seeing any loss at all (be it inches or pounds)I'd be changing things up. 

I was talking to a friend this weekend, she had good success with WW previously but she says that many of the other ladies are struggling as well.

She said she started tracking her food in MFP as well as WW points and found she was only eating around 900 calories a day, seriously. 

(hugs) after a month on a program and not seeing any loss at all (be it inches or pounds)I'd be changing things up. 

I was talking to a friend this weekend, she had good success with WW previously but she says that many of the other ladies are struggling as well.

She said she started tracking her food in MFP as well as WW points and found she was only eating around 900 calories a day, seriously. 

Yes, when I double tracked it was way too little food. 

That said, I'd see a doctor for some lab work if no weight loss after a month of following a plan like WW. Time to get some labs drawn. 

Thought I'd update. Still no weight loss. The scale fluctuates a few ounces each time I weigh but that is all. I am so discouraged.

I thought I would jump in with some encouragement. I started dieting last June. About 1300-1500 calories a day, 100 or less carbs, tracked on MFP, not Weight Watchers but similar in that I didn't cut anything out completely. I was morbidly obese, so lots (and lots) of weight to lose. Well,

I lost 0 in June

I lost 0 in July

I lost 2 in August

I lost 7 in Sept!

I lost another 7 in October!

I just had to keep plugging along. I am 8 months in to this new way of eating, and I am down 30 pounds. So it averages out to a little less than a pound a week. I don't know why my body was so hesitant to "get with the program", but I decided that I was just going to keep on no matter what the scale said. And it finally paid off. I remember that defeated feeling during those first months, and I just wanted to send you some hugs.

Oh, I am actually down to about 1000-1200 calories a day since 1300-1500 seems to be my stasis. Average over 1500, and I can guarantee I will gain for the week. According to that link posted above I should be losing 2 pounds a week at 1100 calories, and I should be able to lose 1 pound per week on 1300 calories. It's not too far off; I lose almost a pound a week on 1100 calories and hold at 1300. 

• Like 2

What is the mechanism for how gallbladder removal causes weight gain? If anything, loss of gb would mean fat is not digested well (but bile is not produced, only stored, in the gb). Would be interested to hear what exactly happens in absence of gb that causes weight gain, as I cannot really envision a mechanism.

Edited by regentrude

I thought I would jump in with some encouragement. I started dieting last June. About 1300-1500 calories a day, 100 or less carbs, tracked on MFP, not Weight Watchers but similar in that I didn't cut anything out completely. I was morbidly obese, so lots (and lots) of weight to lose. Well,

I lost 0 in June

I lost 0 in July

I lost 2 in August

I lost 7 in Sept!

I lost another 7 in October!

I just had to keep plugging along. I am 8 months in to this new way of eating, and I am down 30 pounds. So it averages out to a little less than a pound a week. I don't know why my body was so hesitant to "get with the program", but I decided that I was just going to keep on no matter what the scale said. And it finally paid off. I remember that defeated feeling during those first months, and I just wanted to send you some hugs.

Oh, I am actually down to about 1000-1200 calories a day since 1300-1500 seems to be my stasis. Average over 1500, and I can guarantee I will gain for the week. According to that link posted above I should be losing 2 pounds a week at 1100 calories, and I should be able to lose 1 pound per week on 1300 calories. It's not too far off; I lose almost a pound a week on 1100 calories and hold at 1300. 

Thanks! I paid for 3 months, so I'll keep at it, but wow, is this frustrating. 

Congratulations! Squee! It is exciting to see a new number on the scale, especially one that you've not seen in awhile.

I've started going up when I start my period until a few days after,  right before my period is when I am generally the lightest and my appetite is usually lower. I'm sure it is hormone fluctuations. 

My period weight fluctuation is fluid. On the day of my period I pee a ton. Usually have a giant #2 as well. Sorry if it's tmi. Every pound counts, though, right?  :lol:

What is the mechanism for how gallbladder removal causes weight gain? If anything, loss of gb would mean fat is not digested well (but bile is not produced, only stored, in the gb). Would be interested to hear what exactly happens in absence of gb that causes weight gain, as I cannot really envision a mechanism.

Well, since in many cases insulin resistance is a factor in the development of gallstones, it's likely that a lot of people who have had their gallbladder removed also suffer from insulin resistance and that leads to obesity.

• Like 1

Well, since in many cases insulin resistance is a factor in the development of gallstones, it's likely that a lot of people who have had their gallbladder removed also suffer from insulin resistance and that leads to obesity.

But in this case, the gallbladder removal does not cause the obesity.

I was wondering about the claim stated above that gb removal causes weight gain. Also, gb removal may not have to have anything to do with stones at all.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Someone asked me above about being hangry? I get hangry if I have carbs. I am hypoglycemic, and I will crash if I don't pair my carbs with fat or protein. If my sleep schedule is off or if I am having a highly stressful day I sometimes burn through my breakfast calories more quickly, and then I will snack, but my current snack of choice is 1 oz of cashews. That's not often, though.

• Like 1