Menu

S/O What did she do with her knife?

unsinkable

I was in a wing of a building where I had to go thru a metal detector. It was a federal office and they said no guns, knives, weapons of any kind.

The woman behind me had a knife in her purse. She asked what she should do with it. The guard said she could throw it out (he pointed to nearby garbage can) or take it back to her car. She left but was back in a few minutes. Given the location of the wing, there was no way she could have left the building, let alone got to her car.

So I'm wondering what she did with the knife? I'm thinking she might have hid it in a bathroom.

• Like 1

Buried it in a potted plant? Wrapped it in a bloody towel and slipped it into someone's open briefcase? Stashed it in the ventilation system? Sorry, too many crime shows...

DH brought a steak knife to work in his lunchbox one day without thinking. Security told him he had to take it back to the car, and then he had to eat his chunk of leftover steak like a caveman. Oops.

• Like 10

Buried it in a potted plant? Wrapped it in a bloody towel and slipped it into someone's open briefcase? Stashed it in the ventilation system? Sorry, too many crime shows...

DH brought a steak knife to work in his lunchbox one day without thinking. Security told him he had to take it back to the car, and then he had to eat his chunk of leftover steak like a caveman. Oops.

I vote for the bloody towel! :lol:

• Like 2

Believe me...my DD and I would have LOVED to have followed her. DD's nickname is Nancy Drew.

BUT...

DD's boots had already set off the metal detector and I was mortified by everything in my pockets (I had to completely empty them). I have 4 HUGE pockets in my winter coat. I can fit enough stuff in there as I could in a decent sized purse.

The guard asked about one thing, "what is this?"

Me: "Part of my windshield wiper."

Yeah...we didn't want to go thru search/the metal detector again.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 19

:lol:

If I have told you once, I have told you a thousand times.

The windshield wipers stay on the car when you park it. You’re not supposed to take them off and carry them around.

Sometimes I think you will never learn.

Also, your new nickname at the federal building is “that crazy windshield wiper woman.â€

• Like 13

Believe me...my DD and I would have LOVED to have followed her. DD's nickname is Nancy Drew.

BUT...

DD's boots had already set off the metal detector and I was mortified by everything in my pockets (I had to completely empty them). I have 4 HUGE pockets in my winter coat. I can fit enough stuff in there as I could in a decent sized purse.

The guard asked about one thing, "what is this?"

Me: "Part of my windshield wiper."

Yeah...we didn't want to go thru search/the metal detector again.

I am laughing so hard at the windshield wiper.

• Like 7

The windshield wipers stay on the car when you park it. You’re not supposed to take them off and carry them around.

Also, your new nickname at the federal building is “that crazy windshield wiper woman.â€

I am laughing so hard at the windshield wiper.

It wasn't the WHOLE windshield wiper*. It was the Clippy-Ma-Jig that holds the Swishy-Swiper to Mr. Arm.

*although, maybe that can be an anti-theft technique. Remove your windshield wipers and take them with you when you leave your car. The potential thief would think twice about taking the car with no windshield wipers! If he noticed they were gone.

• Like 9

It wasn't the WHOLE windshield wiper*. It was the Clippy-Ma-Jig that holds the Swishy-Swiper to Mr. Arm.

*although, maybe that can be an anti-theft technique. Remove your windshield wipers and take them with you when you leave your car. The potential thief would think twice about taking the car with no windshield wipers! If he noticed they were gone.

I assume that’s the story you’ll be sticking to? ;)

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the windshield wiper part was the topic of discussion at the dinner table of the security guy tonight. Hey, babe, you'll never believe what some lady had in her pocket today. Who carries part of a windshield wiper in their pocket??

Me!

I shoved it in my pocket when I changed the wipers, then I realized it was fun to slid the piece back and forth bc it make a nice clicky sound. And I didn't want to throw it out.

I told DH the story and he made me give him it to him to throw away. :-(

• Like 11

Me!

I shoved it in my pocket when I changed the wipers, then I realized it was fun to slid the piece back and forth bc it make a nice clicky sound. And I didn't want to throw it out.

Oh the clicky sound makes all the difference. Dh runs a test lab for switches- mostly military applications- and I LOVE to click those switches!  If I had these as a kid I probably would have been less of a pain to the teachers. It's so calming. 

• Like 4

A while back when I had to go to the social security office, and indadvertently had a small scissors in my backpack, I hid it in the landscaping right outside the door. I had taken the train, so didn't have a car to leave it in. It was still there when I went back for it.

• Like 5

A while back when I had to go to the social security office, and indadvertently had a small scissors in my backpack, I hid it in the landscaping right outside the door. I had taken the train, so didn't have a car to leave it in. It was still there when I went back for it.

That's what DD and I said! What if she/you took public transport or walked? What do you do with your knife?

Oh the clicky sound makes all the difference. Dh runs a test lab for switches- mostly military applications- and I LOVE to click those switches! If I had these as a kid I probably would have been less of a pain to the teachers. It's so calming.

We could probably put Fidget Spinner companies out of business if we collected all the Clicky-Ma-Jigs that people simply throw out (like my DH!) when they change their windshield wipers.

• Like 2

We used to borrow my dad’s coat when we were in high school. He always had lip gloss and tampons in his coat pockets. Not that he had to bury them in potted plants when he went to the Capitol to testify before Congress, although he did have to explain to security that he hadn’t worn a suit that morning and his suit that he bought at Garfinkles that morning was hemmed with pins. That happened more than once.

• Like 3

Am I the only one who is imagining every bush in fornt of the building is now full of knives and the whole grounds are fug up regularly by people hiding and retrieving their knives?

LOL, no, you're not! I've also been wondering how many people hide them and forget them in the bathroom.

Am I the only one who is imagining every bush in fornt of the building is now full of knives and the whole grounds are fug up regularly by people hiding and retrieving their knives?

I am, too! I might start digging around outside court houses if I’m ever I need of a pocket knife.

• Like 7

You are rather hysterical tonight.

• Like 2

Me!

Go get it back out of the trash! You can hide it in the bathroom or bury it in the yard!

We could probably put Fidget Spinner companies out of business if we collected all the Clicky-Ma-Jigs that people simply throw out (like my DH!) when they change their windshield wipers.

Now I want a Clicky-Ma-Jig.

• Like 3

We were recently at a minor league hockey game. At the entrance gate, they were scanning people using handheld wands. Dh and I walked alllll the way back to the car so he could put away his weapon, which had been strapped to his ankle. We got back to the gate. The guard scanned dh ONLY from his waist up, and he let me go through without scanning me.

• Like 2

Who knew burying knives was so common? Are you guys also carrying small shovels around?
  • Like 4

Go get it back out of the trash! You can hide it in the bathroom or bury it in the yard!

Now I want a Clicky-Ma-Jig.

Are you due for new wipers? :D

(Don't think it didn't cross my mind about getting my Clicky-Ma-Jig back! DH mentioned recycling it since it is all plastic but we have an enormous recycling tote . It probably fell the very bottom bc it is so small.)

• Like 2

I usually stick my pocket knife in an outside plant tub when I go into Boston city hall, where I have no car.  Security used to hold it for you but they won't any more.  (My own town hall wouldn't think twice about a pocket knife.)  I've only lost one knife that way.  I left my phone in a plant tub once when I had to go into a court house.  There wasn't time to go back to my car with it.  Burying it is a good idea.  I hadn't thought of that.  My husband gave his to a grandfather going the other way to give to his grandson, when he forgot and tried to get on a plane with it.  I'll have to tell him about the window sill.  That's a good idea, too.

Nan

• Like 2

Ugh, I have forgotten multiple times about security at government buildings.  Once I traveled to DC for a very important meeting with the IRS and an international client.  Everything was going great until I realized I needed my driver's license to get into the IRS building.  I had left it somewhere because I wasn't driving that day.  :P

If that happened to me, most likely I would be in too much of a hurry to walk back to my car, so I would hide the knife somewhere.  As long as it's on that side of the security barrier, I'm allowed to have it, right?

• Like 2

I thought this thread was going to speculate why she had a knife at all. I was going to guess to cut a dessert. But then I got darker thoughts and just hope she wasn't a danger to anyone. I'm like hmm what kind of knife?

And I'm glad I got to the thread after we found out why OP had a wiper part. Made me laugh out loud.

Lots of people carry utility knives with them.   My husband once mailed a knife back home when we were getting on a plane and he realized he had his in his pocket.  Fortunately there was a post office right there and he had time to stuff the thing in a jiffy bag and get it mailed.  

This is one of the best threads ever!  

• Like 2

Lots of people carry utility knives with them. My husband once mailed a knife back home when we were getting on a plane and he realized he had his in his pocket. Fortunately there was a post office right there and he had time to stuff the thing in a jiffy bag and get it mailed.

This is one of the best threads ever!

At any time, my boys are each carrying between 0-3 knives, each. It's very convenient. I carry a Swiss Army knife in my purse that my dad brought me from Switzerland in 1985.

However, I have 0 windshield wiper parts. :Lol:

• Like 5

My dad left his knife on the window sill in SFO (it was pretty high up). 

He got it on his return trip...

Emily

This is what a friend did (on top of a door frame in the airport)--he went to Japan for a week, & it was there when he got back. ;-)

• Like 2