Menu

Losing income in 2018. Anyone else? What's your plan?

Ann.without.an.e

I might suggest something else. My dh is hourly with regular overtime. Every year, he gets word that the higher ups don’t like the overtime, so it’s, “No more overtime.†Usually, they only last two weeks and they realize that they need him because he works hard and gets a lot done, so then he’s back to overtime if he wants it. The longest it lasted was a few months.

I say that the fact that your dh secured a continuation of being paid hourly was a big victory. In the future, when a need for something comes up, he should present it to the numbers man and show that he could do such and such with so many overtime hours, or he could outsource at such and such amount. What do they want him to do?

So long as they see him working hard for the 40 hours, and he is producing for the company, and they are aware of what he’s working on and accomplishing, they should start to figure out his benefit to them.

Now, if they keep refusing to give him the overtime, and pressure him to do work far and above what can be done in 40 hours but they don’t want to compensate him, then he’ll probably need to eventually look for something else.

As a side note, our car insurance went up $60 a month with our ds21 on it, so he pays us since he works part-time. It’s worked out fine.

DH should be looking for a new job, but the above is also true. In a couple of months, they might realize his value.

In the meanwhile, write down absolutely everything you spend and then seek ways to make it less. When you pay the car insurnace bill, call Geico and see if it saves you 15%. When you pay the phone bill, see if another provider is cheaper. When you pay the gas and electric bill, see if dropping the temperature a few degrees, or shutting off a little used room or basment helps the bill go down. (Wearing hats and robes indoors works really well to keep you warm.) When you plan your groceries, add some pasta dishes and remove some meat dishes.

If you don’t iron your clothes and use the dryer so they don’t have huge wrinkles, that’s ok, but hang things like towels over your shower rod and air dry them so the dryer doesn’t work as hard. Use bar soap instead of soft soap at the sinks. Look into using vinegar and such for cleaning products instead of pricey store bought cleaning products. Use lots of rags instead of paper towels. Things like that are nickel and dime, but if you make lots of little changes, it’ll add up. If you live near an Aldi and don’t already use them, start immediately. It takes a couple of tries to figure out how the store works, but once you get used to it, the savings are great.

Bascially every single time that you spend any amount of money, double check it and see if it’s the cheapest option. Also, if you have credit cards, check out the cash back options. Our Discover has cash back on all purchases, but if you go on their website every month and sign up for their deals, you get extra cash back. Like, maybe in January you get extra cash back on gasoline, so use the Discover for your gas. But in February you get extra cash back when you buy groceries, so use the Discover for groceries. In March you get extra cash back for clothing stores, so buy clothes in March, etc.

See if you can generate even a little income. My son works at McDonalds for no more than 10 hours a week, sometimes only 4 or 5 hours a week, so some places will hire you for tiny bits of time, and the little bits of money can help. It’s not like you necessarily have to head out for a full 20 hour a week job. I’ve been seriously considering the 10 hour a week stint at McDs lately. Our cat vet bill was over $200 last month and I’m looking at $700 next month. Plus orthodontics are starting up for one son, and I’d like to see my parents a few more times before they die, and it’s $2500 a pop each time we visit (which is a lot of money to me.). Plus most of our windows are leaky and we need to replace them. And...college. We have not saved enough for college.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My state's economy is struggling but really I don't think that is a representation of the rest of the country. Our unemployment rate is 7.2% so we are pulling the average up although we have a small population so we aren't probably affecting it too much. There has to be someone on the other side of that 4.1% rate to make up for it. 

Just to say because a few have a problem doesn't mean that is the case everywhere. 

• Like 1

OP, it's hard to know what you can or should cut without knowing what you're spending.

The very first thing I'd do is spend 2 weeks closely examining everything you buy.  Don't necessarily change your habits for a couple of weeks - it's like monitoring what you eat when you are going to start tracking calories. Then you'll have a clearer idea of what small changes can be made.

For instance (and I have no idea if this applies to you), we currently eat fish probably twice a week, sometimes 3x, and red meat once every couple of weeks.  I buy a lot of convenience foods like hummus, frozen vegetables, frozen ravioli, preseasoned rice boxes, stuff like that.  If I were trying to cut most of the fat out of our budget, I'd eat red meat once a month and fish once a month; the rest of the time would be beans.  I'd learn to make hummus; I'd buy frozen veg but not the fancy organic ones, just whatever's on sale, and I'd ditch the frozen ravioli permanently.  That kind of thing.  Your expenses will be different than mine, though - for instance, we don't have smartphones so there's nothing to cut there, and we don't go out to eat so there's nothing to cut there, but lots of people can cut both of those expenses out if necessary.

You’re so right that a lot of us spend money on things that could be cut out or homemade. There was a thread a few days about where someone linked a book from the 1940’s wartime about how to save money. I think there was only 1 out of the 800 suggestions that I would actually use. The suggestions were all about things like, “Take your shoes to a cobbler to fix,†instead of buying new. Or, “double your butter by whipping in a cup of evaporated milk for every pound of butter†(or something like that.).

Right now, I wouldn’t do those things, and OP, you might not do *those* particular things, but there are modern day ways to cut things out and do things at home, exactly like eternalsummer wrote above—cut out the fish and meat and make your own hummus type of things.

• Like 2

See if you can generate even a little income. My son works at McDonalds for no more than 10 hours a week, sometimes only 4 or 5 hours a week, so some places will hire you for tiny bits of time, and the little bits of money can help. It’s not like you necessarily have to head out for a full 20 hour a week job. I’ve been seriously considering the 10 hour a week stint at McDs lately. Our cat vet bill was over $200 last month and I’m looking at $700 next month. Plus orthodontics are starting up for one son, and I’d like to see my parents a few more times before they die, and it’s $2500 a pop each time we visit (which is a lot of money to me.). Plus most of our windows are leaky and we need to replace them. And...college. We have not saved enough for college.

What is wrong with your cat?  

Visiting your parents is $2500?  Can you go alone a time for two?  

College.....are you HSing?  Can you take advantage of free dual enrollment?

• Like 1

To those who say there are always things to cut well, when I really had things tight I didn't buy meat (except on special occasions), bread, coffee, tea, and things like fruit was carefully proportioned and only what was in season. Never things like avocados or berries. I had no cell phone or t.v. . We always had internet for DH's work though. We shared one older vehicle and only carried liability. We also rented a basement apartment.  I worked nights while DH worked days to avoid childcare. I also washed cloth diapers.  I din't have a choice and it would be hard to go back. 

I still empathize because adjustments ARE hard to make. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 6

We are also looking at a huge salary cut in 2018.

I've been hinting, but my DH doesn't seem to want to get a part-time job. He says he already works so much, and doesn't want to be away from the kids anymore. (I can understand this.) That means it is up to me to go out and get a job. It makes me nervous because a) I already feel REALLY stretched for time. Even on the weekends. and b) I've been out of the workplace for so long. DH doesn't get home until 6:15PMish, so I almost need to find a work at home solution.

I've seen people mention VIP Kids to homeschool moms looking to bring in more cash. It means getting up at the crack of dawn. (Starting work at 5AM.)

I work for VIPKID. Yes I do get up and start work at 5. But it’s been worth it. The several thousand I make a month really helps with our expenses. I sometimes work on Friday or Saturday nights. Basically I teach for 3.5 hours every morning. And you can make about $18-20 an hour.

There’s no way I can work outside the home right now. This is the only thing I can find that would work. I work while the kids are asleep. And now I go to bed at the same time they do. Oh well! Working from home in pj’s is worth it. There’s not a lot of outside expenses to get started and you don’t need a work wardrobe. I’m so not a morning person but watching my paycheck add up is motivating. At least I feel like I can help in some way.

And to the OP: I’m so sorry. That really stinks. My hubby would be looking for alternatives I think. That’s a big big pay cut. And I would be stressed too!

Edited by lexi
  • Like 3

I work for VIPKID. Yes I do get up and start work at 5. But it’s been worth it. The several thousand I make a month really helps with our expenses. I sometimes work on Friday or Saturday nights. Basically I teach for 3.5 hours every morning. And you can make about $18-20 an hour.

There’s no way I can work outside the home right now. This is the only thing I can find that would work. I work while the kids are asleep. And now I go to bed at the same time they do. Oh well! Working from home in pj’s is worth it. There’s not a lot of outside expenses to get started and you don’t need a work wardrobe. I’m so not a morning person but watching my paycheck add up is motivating. At least I feel like I can help in some way.

And to the OP: I’m so sorry. That really stinks. My hubby would be looking for alternatives I think. That’s a big big pay cut. And I would be stressed too!

Do you work the morning hours M-F?

Several thousand a month is great.  Do you put aside a certain amount for taxes? 

Do your kids sleep all the way until 8:30? 

• Like 1

I'm separated, so a major change in income. I found out in November that one of my contracts ends in June without renewal, so I'm going to be in a hard place then. Thankfully my oldest's college is covered through the National Guard, but I just paid tuition for my younger one because she can't work because of medical issues. I'm hoping she'll qualify for a scholarship next fall and will be able to work some.

Needless to say I'm job hunting. I'm optimistic, and do have options that would get us by while I continue to look. I can't be on my feet for long periods of time, so retail and such are out. I also need benefits.

I'm hoping to get some interviews in January.

• Like 2

You are right.  It is a very different hit.

We are in the midst of thinking/fighting about selling our house and moving.  It would save a lot of money--and give us back a lot of equity in the house...but it has non-financial costs that I don't want to bear.  I've seen my parents and my in-laws bear those costs (isolation, loss of community, increased loneliness) and they do count for something.

I should probably not pipe up so much on these threads anyway--we are at a different place in life from most of the posters and the same rules don't apply.  :0)

I agree, moving is a significant mental/emotional cost even if it saves money (ask me how I know!) and definitely a last resort in a lot of cases.  My mom is just about even on her house (meaning she owes more or less what it's worth) after living there for 20 years, and if she sold and moved to a smaller place, now that my dad has died and her kids are all on their own, she could save probably $400 or so a month (reasonably significant on a semi-retired librarian's salary).  She doesn't even particularly like her neighbors or her town.  But it is still, I think, the last thing she would do, after cutting back in a lot of other areas, and I can totally understand that.

Plus, that house has saved our bacon many a time  when we were young and needed somewhere rent-free for a few months. :)

• Like 2

My husband actually works for VIPKID and he gets up at 6, M-Sat and teaches Friday and Sat night. He could work more with them, but this brings in around $600 a month extra.

• Like 1

In my world - since my youth - broadcasting salaries wasn't common, but mentioning unusual pay raises was (generally with thankfulness). We also knew who was laid off - esp since they networked for new jobs. Maybe they kept pay cuts to themselves, but my IRL world is nowhere near as private as many folks' on the Hive, so I find it doubtful. My family and our closer friends (and even co-workers though the years) share info a lot. We aren't very "hush hush" or "keep it all to ourselves" folks - good, bad, and ugly. For me, that's what community is. We're there for each other through it all. It may be a rural trait. I like it that way.

This is how my circles run, too, and we are very urban. It's much more open than the small city I grew up in. I like it this way.

• Like 2

I heard an interesting interview on the radio the other day about homelessness...the speaker made the point that many of us as as close to being homeless as the now-homeless were when they became homeless.  The difference is not the circumstance but the connection with community.  

:::rabbit trail:::Both my in-laws and my parents had connection in boatloads before they moved "to save money".  My mom is in better shape than my MIL because Mom lives with my sister.  And there is ONE family member left who can and does help her out.  But she has nowhere NEAR the personal connection with people that she had until 15 years ago...her own friends and their children who can and would help her.  And had my parents stayed put, my sister would have moved to where they were and liked it better.  

My MIL would be dead at least three times and who knows what would have happened to my FIL had my dh not taken 3 days of every week while my son was growing up to drive 220 miles to take care of them.  Taking care of my MIL now is at least a half-time job, and if she didn't have us, she would be up a creek, totally dependent on social services, IF she could find out how to access them.  But it wouldn't matter because she would already be 3x dead by now anyway.  

I don't want to start making new friends, and pretending that I can create the Community of a Lifetime in ten years or less.  It's taken 30 years to get *this* one. :::back to the main point:::

And while I completely agree the it's possible to lose a community when moving, it's also equally possibly to move into a new one.  My parent lived in their old house over 40 years.  While they had some friends, they were only close to one neighbor.  Two years ago they moved into a single story house for health reasons (they are both in their upper 70's), within a year of being there my dad had 5 brain surgeries and broke his hip.  But in that one year,  they had developed such incredible friendships, that the various neighbors took it upon themselves, to finish the landscaping, tend to the flowers beds and mow the yard every week.  When he came home from rehab, several brought meals and many stopped by just to chat and see how he was doing.  They have much better support where they moved to than 40 years in the the other place.

I realize that won't happen for everyone but I'm not sure I would discount moving, especially if you can downsize and stay in the same vicinity to you don't have to learn new place, shopping, find new doctors etc.

• Like 5

While, at the same time, taking on a teen driving with a huge insurance increase.

DS needs to get a part-time job to cover car insurance and gas.

I need to think outside the box here....what am I missing?

We do not get licenses for teenagers. They keep their learner's permits until they are 19 or 20. That avoids paying for insurance during the most expensive years. Unfortunately most teenager jobs do not pay enough to cover all the expenses for a car (including purchase price, insurance, fuel, maintenance, and repairs).
  • Like 1

I follow a lovely blog which has many good ideas for cutting expenses and living on less. The writer has had spells of no family income. She has such a lovely blog, it’s really encouraging and I learn a lot.

http://www.theprudenthomemaker.com/

I hope it might be of use to someone here!

I hopped over to take a peek. It looks like a lovely blog, but I'm immediately skeptical of some of her claims.  $50/mo by turning off her computer at night?  $150 when combined with shutting off ceiling fans when no one's in the room?  My entire house is electric, and my bill is under $200 in the summer for everything we do, including hot water, cooking, washer/dryer, and sometimes running an AC unit.  Plus multiple electronic devices, lights, dishwasher, fridge, etc.  There's zero way that 75% of my bill is passive energy use while we're sleeping and/or not home.

• Like 10

We do not get licenses for teenagers. They keep their learner's permits until they are 19 or 20. That avoids paying for insurance during the most expensive years. Unfortunately most teenager jobs do not pay enough to cover all the expenses for a car (including purchase price, insurance, fuel, maintenance, and repairs).

But then you have to go everywhere with them.  My oldest doesn't have a DL, nor does he want to.  He is turning 20 soon.  The last 2 years, getting him back and forth to Community College, has been brutal.

Middle son has his full license, it is SO helpful.  He gets himself back and forth to school, and runs errands for us.

ETA:  We do pay his insurance, about $100-$150 I think.  Some of our friends make their kids pay half.  And they make them pay gas.  We just pay both.  It is worth it to us, and we can do it.  He doesn't abuse any of it, so we are fine with it.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

My MIL would be dead at least three times and who knows what would have happened to my FIL had my dh not taken 3 days of every week while my son was growing up to drive 220 miles to take care of them.  Taking care of my MIL now is at least a half-time job, and if she didn't have us, she would be up a creek, totally dependent on social services, IF she could find out how to access them.  But it wouldn't matter because she would already be 3x dead by now anyway.  

This is what my hope was when we were looking at moving back to CA.

It won't happen at this time.  We went back last summer and a job for DH isn't happening yet.  We are still shooting for a move, but prob not until 2019 now.  I am worried my parents won't even be around by then.

If my dad dies first, we are in trouble.  My mom can't care for herself.  She has really bad health.  We will most likely go back and move her into assisted living, but I told DH we may have to actually live apart for a year if I have to go back early (I can get a job back where I worked before, not problem, they actually asked if I were coming back LAST SUMMER when I talked to them, as they need people.)  

Anyway, I am worried things will progress and when they do, it will be quick.  If mom dies first, dad can care for himself better than she can.

• Like 1

Here, the rates are sky high until they've had their license for three years.  It isn't an age thing, but an experience thing.

• Like 2

I am sorry about all of the difficult situations so many of you are in :(  I "like" posts to mark what I've read.  I don't actually like everything I read.  

I love all of the ideas.  I should go back and quote but I just can't remember which ones address it all.

I want DS to have his license.  This way he can drive himself to CC and back and I will actually be able to work more if I am not running him places.  

I want to look into VIP kids.

Many of the things people do to cut, we already do normally.  I am sure there are other things and I will definitely be pondering those.  

Our twentieth anniversary and my fortieth birthday are both in the next few weeks and we've decided to do nothing.  I am cool with that.  We don't usually do much anyway.  It isn't a big loss  :lol:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

Our twentieth anniversary and my fortieth birthday are both in the next few weeks and we've decided to do nothing.  I am cool with that.  We don't usually do much anyway.  It isn't a big loss  :lol:

We find ways to do things cheap too.

Last week DH and I had date night.

We went to a restaurant we both like.  It is one where you order at the counter and they cook it and bring it to you, so not fancy, but not fast food either (kind of like a Panera.)

I got gift cards for 20% off and then we waited for a BOGO entree deal.  Their entrees run about $10 each.  With the 20% off and deal, we got two entrees for $4 each.  Not too shabby.

I used to have a $100 eating out budget for each month.  With 3 kids, it would be a game to see if we could find coupons and deals to go out after church each Sunday AND go out with our HS friends about once per week.  That is 8 times eating out for $100.  We did it!  BOGO free deals, other coupons, buying gift cards for a deal, etc...

We stopped the Sun after church things when the kids got to be teens and eating out got to be more costly AND we needed more $$ for other activities they preferred to do (like scout camp.)

• Like 1

I hopped over to take a peek. It looks like a lovely blog, but I'm immediately skeptical of some of her claims.  $50/mo by turning off her computer at night?  $150 when combined with shutting off ceiling fans when no one's in the room?  My entire house is electric, and my bill is under $200 in the summer for everything we do, including hot water, cooking, washer/dryer, and sometimes running an AC unit.  Plus multiple electronic devices, lights, dishwasher, fridge, etc.  There's zero way that 75% of my bill is passive energy use while we're sleeping and/or not home.

We have a large house and our electric bill is only $200 also.  When we go on vacation we turn everything off, we still don't save more than 25 per week at most.  And that is with NO A/C or Heat or anything plugged in other than essentials.

And I draw the line at no TP.  Nope, not doing it.  

• Like 3

I don't know how common this is, but those of us who got raises and bonuses this year aren't likely to post, "Hey, help me spend this pay increase!"  My husband got a raise; I got a significant raise last year and a good bonus this year that I did not expect at all, especially because I barely even work.  My husband's raise is going entirely to a charity we support; my bonus barely hit my account before we spent it on a new(er) car for my daughter.  We were planning to buy the car anyway, but this just kept us from having to transfer as much money out of savings.  I don't mean to be insensitive to those who are facing pay cuts or job losses; I am not.  That sucks any way you slice it, and at any level of income.  But it does not at all mean that the experiences we're reading about are universal.  Among my clients, most seem to be in a hiring frenzy and are complaining to me about having too much work and not enough staff.  It's a small sample size, granted, but it seems like this would be a good time as any to look for a job.

But... raises and bonuses are expected.  It's how life is supposed to happen, so it's not news.  It gets shared in my IRL circles because it's a normal part of conversation and folks are just sharing what they are spending it on when they care to share (vacation, car, college expenses, whatever).  We all celebrate with them - or commiserate when it's something like college or medical expenses.

Folks lose jobs all the time too as factories or other places of employment close or cut back, and fortunately now IS a good time to be looking as the unemployment rate is low.  Plenty of places are hiring in various areas (some better than others).

What I see as different - and a bit shocking - is how many folks are talking about pay cuts for the same job... or like my relative, getting laid off by a state due to being an inch away from qualifying for full retirement.  Not getting raises is common in a poor economy, but not really in what is supposed to be a good economy.  When do pay cuts for the same job come in?

I don't like seeing that trend happening.  I see it as a caution flag.  Maybe it has always been going on on a similar percentage scale (assuming it's not hitting those not saying anything), but not so in my IRL circles.

This IS a good time to look for a job; but although jobs are fairly plentiful, my sense is that pay has not gone up as much as the low unemployment rate would tend to lead me to expect.

This is hitting on it.  Why are pay cuts happening in a good economy?  They aren't happening to everyone, but the fact that they are happening to so many (not just the OP) raises my caution flag.

We've had plenty of anniversaries and birthdays celebrations on the cheap side.  We go to free (or very low cost) museums (often small places), we hike, we pack a picnic, we find a scenic walk and enjoy it.  To us, the key is we're together and enjoying our time doing something we like.  That doesn't have to be costly.  Only media says one should spend tons of money on these things.  Some of our most treasured moments come from things we did that were super low cost.

• Like 3

BTW, since we are talking about how to save money, I should add that the way we kept our children's car insurance low was by giving them a cheap car and putting them on their own plan.  As a result their insurance rates were not tied to any of the expensive cars which were on our plan.  (The agent didn't believe this would be cheaper, but later phoned back and told me that it was.)

• Like 3

My mother & father moved in 2007 from the house they'd lived in for almost 30 years. My father has since died, but my mother is now "friends" with many of her neighbors and has lots of people to watch over her. In her previous house, the neighbors were mostly snobby (rich) and kept to themselves other than to send an anonymous note one time about how our house was a blight on the neighborhood. (House was one of two < $100k houses in an area where > 300k houses were the average.) The guy who delivers the daily paper also cuts her grass. The mailman delivers to the box on her porch and he knows all of us kids by sight. She knows names of kids & pets for neighbors on either side of her - including the latest boyfriend of the one neighbor. . . 

And while I completely agree the it's possible to lose a community when moving, it's also equally possibly to move into a new one.  My parent lived in their old house over 40 years.  While they had some friends, they were only close to one neighbor.  Two years ago they moved into a single story house for health reasons (they are both in their upper 70's), within a year of being there my dad had 5 brain surgeries and broke his hip.  But in that one year,  they had developed such incredible friendships, that the various neighbors took it upon themselves, to finish the landscaping, tend to the flowers beds and mow the yard every week.  When he came home from rehab, several brought meals and many stopped by just to chat and see how he was doing.  They have much better support where they moved to than 40 years in the the other place.

I realize that won't happen for everyone but I'm not sure I would discount moving, especially if you can downsize and stay in the same vicinity to you don't have to learn new place, shopping, find new doctors etc.

• Like 2

As far as VIPKID, I was hired in August. It took me about 6 weeks to establish a solidly booked schedule with some regular students.

I teach from 5-8:30 am EST every day. I sometimes teach from 8-10 pm EST on either Friday or Saturday night. I’ve found I’m less energetic in the evening so I can’t do as many.

I teach from a corner of my master closet. I painted the back wall and put in a table to hold my props. I arranged books and stuffed animals on it so it’s a cute background for my classes.

I throw on an orange t-shirt and teach classes while everyone else is asleep.

My big kids get up between 6 and 7. They work independently on school stuff. (They are 12, 10, and 8).

The little ones get up around 8. So my big kids help them down to the kitchen where they start eating breakfast while I finish teaching. I make (or heavily prep) breakfast the night before. My older kids get it on the table.

I’m downstairs by 8:40 and then we start our school stuff at 9.

It has worked really well. My kids understand that they cannot come in and interrupt my classes.

I was very skeptical of the job but after I talked to a couple homeschool moms who taught for them I felt comfortable applying. I didn’t even think I’d get hired because I’m not super over the top and energetic. But I did get hired. And I actually like teaching. 25 minutes per class is doable. Then I submit feedback and I’m done with my part.

Parents have labeled me as “calm, gentle, conscientious, and encouraging.†Lol! But the right parents have found me. I seem to get quite a few really shy kids. I like it.

I don’t find I have to spend a ton of time preparing for classes. Now that I’ve taught multiple lessons in each level I have a good feel for how the lessons work. I just create a notecard for each lesson that notes the vocab and songs for that lesson. I also make a list of what props I need. Then when I teach that class again I’m all ready.

I just helped my cousin and another friend get hired. They have been really thankful to have the extra income.

So it’s actually a great opportunity. I’m happy I applied even though I was completely terrified to go through the interviews.

• Like 4

This is what my hope was when we were looking at moving back to CA.

It won't happen at this time. We went back last summer and a job for DH isn't happening yet. We are still shooting for a move, but prob not until 2019 now. I am worried my parents won't even be around by then.

If my dad dies first, we are in trouble. My mom can't care for herself. She has really bad health. We will most likely go back and move her into assisted living, but I told DH we may have to actually live apart for a year if I have to go back early (I can get a job back where I worked before, not problem, they actually asked if I were coming back LAST SUMMER when I talked to them, as they need people.)

Anyway, I am worried things will progress and when they do, it will be quick. If mom dies first, dad can care for himself better than she can.

[emoji173]
  • Like 2

As far as VIPKID, I was hired in August. It took me about 6 weeks to establish a solidly booked schedule with some regular students.

I teach from 5-8:30 am EST every day. I sometimes teach from 8-10 pm EST on either Friday or Saturday night. I’ve found I’m less energetic in the evening so I can’t do as many.

I teach from a corner of my master closet. I painted the back wall and put in a table to hold my props. I arranged books and stuffed animals on it so it’s a cute background for my classes.

I throw on an orange t-shirt and teach classes while everyone else is asleep.

My big kids get up between 6 and 7. They work independently on school stuff. (They are 12, 10, and 8).

The little ones get up around 8. So my big kids help them down to the kitchen where they start eating breakfast while I finish teaching. I make (or heavily prep) breakfast the night before. My older kids get it on the table.

I’m downstairs by 8:40 and then we start our school stuff at 9.

It has worked really well. My kids understand that they cannot come in and interrupt my classes.

I was very skeptical of the job but after I talked to a couple homeschool moms who taught for them I felt comfortable applying. I didn’t even think I’d get hired because I’m not super over the top and energetic. But I did get hired. And I actually like teaching. 25 minutes per class is doable. Then I submit feedback and I’m done with my part.

Parents have labeled me as “calm, gentle, conscientious, and encouraging.†Lol! But the right parents have found me. I seem to get quite a few really shy kids. I like it.

I don’t find I have to spend a ton of time preparing for classes. Now that I’ve taught multiple lessons in each level I have a good feel for how the lessons work. I just create a notecard for each lesson that notes the vocab and songs for that lesson. I also make a list of what props I need. Then when I teach that class again I’m all ready.

I just helped my cousin and another friend get hired. They have been really thankful to have the extra income.

So it’s actually a great opportunity. I’m happy I applied even though I was completely terrified to go through the interviews.

Sounds wonderful.  You have it down. Your kids are so mature.  I think there would be fighting , crying and screaming in my house. 

I will keep in mind for the future.  Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

My DH got a 20%pay cut years ago from his previous company. I think they were trying to make the nest uncomfortable so he would quit. He was a good worker and they knew it but what they really wanted was to find someone who would work for half of his original salary. He eventually lost his job and signed a severance pay package that basically said he would get six months severance plus health insurance if he didn’t sue them for wrongful termination. He was wanting to leave anyway so he left, we moved, and he’s now working for a company doing much better. The company he left is now paying poorly for the job DH did and finding it hard to fill the position and hard to keep an employee long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bethben
  • Like 3

I think she lives in Vegas, though, home of the ever-running AC.  I know that it's not unusual for people around here to have regular bills in the $500 range in the summer months.  And we're no where as hot as Vegas.

• Like 1

Just a tiny update, DH is thinking about standing his ground in his meeting with his CEO this week.  CEO kind of manipulated him into thinking he was just overpaid by showing him some comparable salaries.  After doing some investigation, DH has gathered some hard, clear facts.  The people that he is being compared to are managing about half the assets (or less) as DH.  They are working in a comparable company but one that is not even regionally ranked, whereas DH is in a world ranked company.  It really just doesn't compare.  Positive thoughts and prayers for my DH this week because he is NOT the kind of guy to stand up for himself like this.  I am nervous for him. 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 22

He isn't looking yet.  He may in the  near future.  It is complicated.  DH is in a very unusual situation.  He is actually paid hourly even though his position would normally be a salaried position.  Previous CFO knew that DH could work 168 hours per week and still have things to do and he works with several other departments so she protected him by keeping him on an hourly wage. The CEO and the CFO both found DH's skills unbelievably beneficial.  He saved the company a ton of money by doing things himself that they always outsourced.  He's just brilliant.  He was taking on many tasks that they outsourced for $300-$500/hour.  Because he saved them so much money, they increased his pay and position accordingly.  Unfortunately, they both left within the same 2 month period of time for other job offers.  In comes a new CEO and CFO at the same time, and all they see is a current running budget and current wages.  CEO sat down with DH and compared what he makes annually to others in our area and says that DH is way overpaid.  What he can't take into account is that DH's skillset and ability to save them money is so much higher than those in similar positions.  They are still outsourcing most things because they have no ability to do what DH does.  They have no concept of how much DH has saved them.  Prior administration knew that he was a HUGE asset to the budget overall, while this CEO stepped in with the agenda to cut salaries.  New CEO really wants DH on a salary (so that he can work him that 168 hours per week without paying for it) but the salary will be about $30,000 less than he is making now.  He has also begrudgingly offered DH to stay on his hourly wage without a raise, but cap him to 40 hours a week which will cut us about $20,000/year.  DH is inclined to take the option to stay hourly, for obvious reasons (less cut and they can't work him like a slave).   DH is just concerned that they will expect him to magically work on the same budget as well, when he will now need to fall back on hiring some outside sources again to get his job done in 40 hours/week.  Overtime was just apart of his routine before.  He was scheduled for it, they budgeted for it...because DH was saving them so much money.  Now, it totally freaks this new guy out.

ETA - I know what you are all going to say, DH should fight it all.  The first negotiation, DH did push against it and that is why he is being offered now to stay hourly.  DH is not a negotiator.  He is not a fighter.  He says, meh.....I'll work less.  I'll plant a larger garden, haha.  He's just that way.  He won't fight too hard.  Period.  

Stay hourly and open a consulting business on the side.    Absolutely do not move to a salary position!!!!!!!!

When they need his skills, offer them the option to pay him overtime or to get a bid from him a a consultant.

To have a business, you usually need more than one client, Have him start offering occasional bids to other companies, just so he can legally work as a consultant.   Do mind the 'do not compete' clauses in any contract he has signed for his employer.

One of three things will happen:

1. He will find his consulting business more than makes up for the difference in wages.

2. His employer will grumble and threaten about overtime, but still pay it.  My employer screams about 'no overtime' but I have almost 200 hours of OT this year because no one wants to work for them (lower than market wages), so they are forced to pay me OT to keep it up and running.  I have More OT than any other year I have worked for the same company (21 years). 

3. They will pay his consulting fees because it comes out of a different budget and while it makes no real sense to pay him as a consultant instead of an employee, it does when you have a money in one budget and not in the other. 

• Like 1