Menu

What curricula do you consider yourself a pretty good "expert" on?

Well, that's an awkward sentence--

I just thought it might be nice to have a list of curricula with people's names beside the ones they feel they know enough about to give advice on.

Geez, can you understand what I'm tryin' to say?

For instance, I have some experience with Saxon (K-3), so I usually answer those questions. I use SOTW, and I have experience with Omnibus, so I also feel "qualified" to respond to some of those threads.

How about you?

On this board? There is very little I feel I can speak with any authority about. Undoubtedly there is another with much more knowledge about it, and has a better way of communicating it.

In real life though? I would feel comfortable on just about any of the stuff I was teaching. The few home schoolers I know don't use the same things as I do, nor do they have the same philosophy. I find that non-homeschooling parents that I would talk to are so enamored with the fact that I even *do* that, that they could care less what I was saying about curriculum, LOL.:lol::lol:

Lively Latin, because I was it's very first online consumer.

Clonlara School, because I graduated from their high school program.

Oak Meadow's middle school science syllabi.

Wow, Rose, that's neat that you were the first Lively Latin online consumer. We are using the Big Book 1 this year and love it!

I guess I wouldn't consider myself an expert on anything yet.

I don't consider myself an expert on any particular curriculum. I have a lot of useful experience with Singapore Math, SOTW, FLL, Funnix, HWOT. Those are all things I've used for a number of years.

If there's anything that comes easily to me as far as teaching, it would have to be literature. I find it easy to read and discuss books with my boys.

I don't think of myself as an expert in anything, because I can always find a better way to do it next time, LOL. If I keep talking and listening to others I'll keep being given better ideas of how to implement things as time goes on.

I'm on my second round of going through Singapore math and will be finished with the elementary series of it next year.

I'm on my second round of going through Abeka grammar.

I'm just starting my second round of logic with Mind Benders, but I'm going to change some things up this time regarding next year's work.

I'm on my second round of going through Spelling Workout and will be finished with it for the second time next year.

I'm on my second round of using the Getty-Dubay italics books.

I'm starting through SOTW for the second time with the same child. I've not used the activities in the guide much, as I'm not much on such things, LOL. I do use the maps, art work, word finds and other puzzles, games, book lists, etc. from the guide.

I've just started through Latin Primer for the second time.

I'm going through the WTM suggestions for doing logic stage science for the second time now. Not really a curriculum, more a method. I'm not doing it exactly the same this time. I hope I'm making it better!

I wouldn't say expert, but I'm a strong supporter and avid user of TRISMS history/research based curriculum for jr high/high school.

I am also probably the world's greatest fan of both Systematic Mathematics and MTE (Materials and Technology for Education -- better known as Action Mathematics).

I was an early supporter of Analytical Grammar and give credit to Robin for teaching my son more than I myself ever learned in school.

I suck at Latin.

asta

I often answer questions about certain Latin programs and the different approaches to learning Latin.

Also SOTW.

Lately, I often answer questions about Ambleside because I am using parts of it.

No expert though, on anything...just sharing my experiences.

I try to help answer questions about but am not an expert:

Singapore math earlybird through 3a (we have completed these levels)

Spell to Write and Read (teaching the phonograms creatively)

Why to back off and have fun before K instead of starting academics

Lapbooking (we've done a lot of this)

Waldorf (I've got a huge list of resources and sites that I send people to)

:001_smile:

I'm not an expert on anything, but I've used LLATL Blue and Red, R&S Math 1&2, Singapore EBs and 1, FIAR (46 books worth :D), Calvert K and 1, Pathway readers, SL readers and Cores A,B and K, SOTW 1, WP Hideaways in History, Peak With Books, B4FIAR, R&S workbooks, ETC primers and 1-3, SF Exploring Math K and 1, Saxon K, Bob books....

Well, you get the idea. I've used a lot of stuff for PK through 2nd and I'm willing to donate my 2 cents freely :lol:. How much that advice is worth totally depends on how similar my teaching style is to the questioner and how similar our kids' learning styles are. None of the stuff I used is the answer to every hsers dream, but a lot of it is really good if it fits your needs.

I am really good at hanging out with people who are smarter and more experienced than me. :D

Having one child lends itself to some unique homeschooling situations. This is our 5th year homeschooling, so perhaps my experience dealing with an only child, wiggly boys in particular.

I share only what I know based on what we're using or what I've read. I try to add in the disclaimer that I've read something but I don't always succeed. I did put "Homeschooling 3 years" in my signature as a disclaimer, lol.

I feel like I can contribute about:

1. CM principles and application but not about using Ambleside or many CM products out there b/c I haven't used them

2. TOG with Lower Grammar child(ren); how to get started in TOG at the LG/UG levels, I stay away from D or R levels

3. Science curricula or how to make science come alive- this is my pet subject and the one I'm most passionate about but my experience doesn't match up with my knowledge so I try to tread lightly.

4. Finding resources (I can google very well!) and sometimes offer reviews or others' reviews.

5. Great Books to a certain degree.

6. Visual learners/non-auditory: sharing what has helped us.

Weak areas: math; anything really above 4th grade level (I'm only as experienced as my oldest child!) although I look at resources ALL the time; grammar; logic- of course subjects that either I've never studied in-depth or been formally exposed to. :tongue_smilie: I'm also weak in teaching multiple leveled children b/c I haven't done it yet, I can schedule something in a snap but unsure of the practicality of it. I stay away from posts like that unless it is a question about a curriculum I know about.

Edited by Trivium Academy

Yes, I certainly didn't mean Expert as in All-Knowing Authority! I just wanted to know who has used certain curricula and, should I want to investigate that curricula, who can I ask about it.

To a degree, everyone is an expert in "their child." No one is an expert in implementing a curriculum for someone else's child, but many have extensive experience, informed opinions and just plain good advice for using, that curriculum.

Now does THAT make any sense? :D

Sonlight -- I've used it as our base curriculum for 10+ years now

Handwriting Without Tears -- I have learned a great deal about using this curriculum from my youngest daughter's occupational therapists

Teaching Textbooks -- we own and have used, or are currently using, all the levels, from TT Math 5 through PreCalculus

Let's see, I have taught

Horizons math completely through 4x with 2 more currently using it.

MUS alg/geo 4x

Foerster alg 1 4x

Sing, Spell, Read, Write 5x

Those are the ones I will continue to use and endorse. Since I put together my own LA, science, and history.....those are more book title dependent.

I have taught lots of other curricula for several yrs and I do not use them anymore b/c I have found better things. (like WRTR......I taught it for 5-6 yrs, but I don't really like it.)

Juggling. I am really good at showing people how to juggle....Jobs, homeschooling, lots of kids and old parents...laundry, housework, swim team kids etc. Juggling....

Oh and i am pretty good at plate spinning too...you know keeping it all up in the air without letting anything fall....

Oh. as far as curricula, I would consider myself an expert on Ambleside Online (have used it for at least 8 or 9 years and have been through the lower levels several times) teaching reading without curricula, and basic CM principles which I try like crazy to modernize.

I really stink at teaching math.

~~Faithe

I am most familiar with SOTW as we have used all 4 volumes. I have also use HWT for all of my children in all the books from preK through the new 5th grade book.

Even though we don't use it anymore, I am have used all levels of R&S math and can speak on it.

I have also used almost all of the Elementary Apologia with the exception of the newest book: Zoology 3.

Best wishes,

but shunning the word, "expert"! I'm always happy to share what I know about. . . . . .

1) Sonlight. I used them exclusively for the first 7 years of our homeschooling journey, and even was a curric. rep for 2 years. Things have changed some, but I can usually help folks with questions.

2) TOG. I've used it for 3 years, with all four levels (concurrently! wowza!) and feel I have a pretty good handle on explaining the process.

3) Singapore Math. This has been our spine for 7 years for elementary math.

4) Lapbooking. Again, I've done this for 8 or so years now - I'm giving a workshop on the technique Monday night.

I can go on and on for days about:

Singapore Math Earlybird, Primary (including CWP) and NEM

Singapore Science MPH, and Interactive (which of course isn't current anymore... *sigh*)

Using an abacus (Japanese or Chinese, not Rightstart type)

Zome Geometry

First Lego League

Book groups, Junior Great Books, teaching Shakespeare with a group

because of how many programs I have tried and commented on throughout my homeschool journey.

I would say that I am pretty experienced with these :

TOG (5th year using it)

Five in a Row (used with all my kids from 2-6)

MUS lower levels

Bob Jones Grammar, Reading, Science elem. level

Apologia Science elem. level

Sonlight K-4

Edited by Pammy
added

Not at all an expert, but feel qualified through use to make comments on...

Latin

Minimus

Secundus

Cambridge Latin through year 3

Math

Saxon 1-8/7

Science

Exploring God's Creation

Apologia

Real Science 4 Kids

Christian Liberty Press

History

Used all 4 SOTW

MOH

Study of Greeks/Romans (Christine Miller)

Grammar

Rod & Staff

Easy Grammar

Writing

Jump Into Writing

Poetry Primer

Pretty much everything that's in my signature..hence why I like to see curricula listed...I'll know who to ask the questions to! :)

Tara

Another non-expert here, but I am familiar with and feel I can contribute to discussions on

Right Start Math (lvls A B and C so far)

Spelling Workout (lvls A B and C so far)

R.E.A.L. Science (both Life and Earth and Space, not sure if we will continue the series when the new books come out)

Happy Phonics

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (we're on lesson 91)

We use other curricula, and there are some we just started recently, but those are the ones we've used for awhile and maybe every once in a blue moon I may have something useful to say about them.

ETA: oh and I just wanted to add...like Jessica, I can google like a pro! :)

Edited by Parabola

I tend to poke my nose in at any mention of a signed language, even though you guys are usually asking about ASL, and I use Auslan. As far as I can tell, I'm more fluent in Auslan than anyone on here is in ASL so understand the nature of signed languages more. Anyway, people seem to appreciate my comments. I take that as a good sign.

:)

Rosie

I can answer some questions about Right Start Math (Levels B through E), Spelling Workout (B through F), Growing with Grammar 3, 4 and 5, Classical Writing Aesop, IEW, Latin for Children, Espanol para Chicos y Grandes, Lingua Latina, Minimus Latin, Elementary Greek, Story of the World, Lego Robotics, Real Science 4 Kids (Bio, Physics, Chem Level I), Ring of Fire Science, and how to deal with kids who are interested in EVERYTHING.

But I'm an expert at nothing! My child is way ahead of me in music so I can't help him anymore.

Julie