Menu

so upset <jawm>

Noreen Claire

A while back I posted about my oldest having an interview for a job that he didn't initially want, and what I was going through trying to get him to take the interview and consider the job. Well, he went to the interview, he did well, he was offered the job, he decided that he actually wanted the job, and he has spent the last few weeks jumping through a million hoops before he could start the job.

There was a hoop last week that he had trouble with - the website he needed to create an account with didn't recognize his SSN and when he called the tech support hotline they told him to call the job recruiter to fix it. He has played voicemail tag with this person for the last week, as she would never answer when he called and he was always at work when she called back. He saw last night (Wednesday) that he missed an email from her on Tuesday and that the job offer has been rescinded because he wasn't able to jump that last hoop. 

He's understandably upset, but I am FURIOUS. I know that this probably happens all the time and the recruiter probably has a list of other people who want this job but..... I'm just angry. I'm angry FOR him. I'm angry AT him. I'm just angry. It's not fair. (I know it probably is fair, so please don't point that out to me. Spare me. I'm upset for my kid here.) 

There are so many details that I'm leaving out  but, I guess they don't really matter. This is the way the real world works and I understand that but we just had our hopes up - HE had gotten his hopes up - and it's hard to suddenly realize that you have lost the opportunity at a real grown-up job with benefits and double your yearly income. I'm just so sad for him... This kid never gets any breaks.

Wow, I'd be furious too. Does he have it in him to fight it? Maybe to go down there over his lunch hour and talk to her in person? Did he ever talk to someone at the actual place of employment, or just the job recruiter? Grrrrr.....

He was interviewed by people from the company, originally. This contact person is just in charge of the paperwork, drug testing, etc.

My mother works there and is going to talk to someone in HR to see if he can get another shot at the final hoop. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

• Like 5

He was interviewed by people from the company, originally. This contact person is just in charge of the paperwork, drug testing, etc.

My mother works there and is going to talk to someone in HR to see if he can get another shot at the final hoop. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

I hope that works!  Sometimes getting one person from the inside to step in and help is all it takes.  My dd's dh was in a similar situation last year when he had just gotten a great job but one odd detail was missing (not his fault) and the contact person in charge of it was not going to go out of her way at all to step in and help make it right.  To this day, we don't know why.  She didn't even know my son-in-law (they had never actually met).  Maybe she was just lazy.  Maybe she didn't like that he was an immigrant.  It was all I could do to not call up the HR office myself and give them my opinion!  Fortunately, my dh's sister works for the same company (a large one spread out over multiple buildings within the same city).  She drove over to said not-helpful person's office and barely had to say anything at all to get her to take care of the one detail so he could keep his job.

• Like 4

It's a background check system. I have no idea why it didn't work, but the help desk person said it wasn't unusual.

My husband had a background check done for a recent job interview. I think it was in late September. The background check took three days of back and forth and his SSN wasn’t even giving problems. It’s a big tech company and the position they offered him doesn’t need any security clearance.

I’ll try to find out why though because of future job applications since it is a SSN bug. Even payroll could be affected by the same SSN bug in the future.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

GOOD NEWS! They are allowing him to complete the last task!

BAD NEWS:. His SSN still won't work. He has 48 hours to complete the task and it's a three day weekend and I'm not sure anyone will be there to answer his call and straighten this problem out.

He'll be home in an hour to work this it. Keep your fingers crossed.

• Like 9

That poor kid. If he has his social security card, I don't understand why the company isn't dealing with their own tech issues. I hope it gets worked out and that the job turns out to be a perfect fit for him.

This. His SSN is his SSN, period. If their system is rejecting it, why is it his problem to fix? 

• Like 4

BAD NEWS:. His SSN still won't work. He has 48 hours to complete the task and it's a three day weekend and I'm not sure anyone will be there to answer his call and straighten this problem out.

Is it possible he is remembering the number wrong or transposing two numbers when he types? Maybe someone else is using his number?

I'd get him on the phone with the background check people if at all possible.

• Like 3

Is it possible he is remembering the number wrong or transposing two numbers when he types? Maybe someone else is using his number?

I'd get him on the phone with the background check people if at all possible.

He and I have both tried it. I'm guessing one of the other times he entered his number he might have typed it incorrectly.

• Like 1

Can he PHYSICALLY go to the office that has the issue and talk with them in person? Since it really is THEIR system that seems to be the problem. Has he called the SS office to confirm his SSN hasn't been compromised in some way?

And hugs.

If no one answers the phone, he will have to drive down there to fix this today.

• Like 2

:grouphug:

Do you know why the SSN couldn’t work with that system? I’m guessing it’s the HR system or background check system.

We've had trouble in the past with our state's online tax form because their form didn't recognize dh's SSN. His starts with zero and the form would just drop that off and put the next digit--not a zero--into the first box. Maybe OP's ds has a similar situation? If so, that's not something he'd be able to fix. ☹ï¸

• Like 1

That's kind of bizarre...  Why would they only give him 48 hours over a 3-day weekend when they know he has to figure it out through an office that's only open during the business week?

I hope he has a chance to figure it out before the end of the day.  Is he calling social security?

I'm so mad I'm shaking...

DS finally got hold of a person to talk to. His SSN didn't work because they rescinded his job offer because he doesn't meet the medical requirements. He noted on the medical form that he's epileptic (controlled with medication) and they are saying that he can't do the job. The job that requires SITTING AT A BENCH ALL DAY. I'm just furious.

Edited by Noreen Claire

DS finally got hold of a person to talk to. His SSN didn't work because they rescinded his job offer because he doesn't meet the medical requirements. He noted on the medical form that he's epileptic (controlled with medication) and they are saying that he can't do the job. The job that requires SITTING AT A BENCH ALL DAY. I'm just furious.

This if for your ds to decide, but I would make a complaint. If a disability does not interfere with the essential tasks of the job then that cannot be a factor in employment. 

• Like 5

Did the recruiter tell him that? Try to get it in writing asap as well as the name of the person or people involved in the decision. It's awful they did that in the first place if his problem won't interfere with his ability to do the job. And then to jerk him around the way they did...disgusting.

• Like 3

He noted on the medical form that he's epileptic (controlled with medication) and they are saying that he can't do the job. The job that requires SITTING AT A BENCH ALL DAY. I'm just furious.

I’ll raise a stink. People at the workplace can be trained in how to response to someone having an epileptic fit.

When I was a student councilor in junior college (11th & 12th grade) in the late 80s, an 11th grader has a hole in the heart as well as epilepsy was assigned to me for orientation because I was the student councilor who frequented ER and also was first aid certified by St John’s Ambulance (not US). This guy worked for SAP after he graduated from computer science. It was a non-issue, SAP easily accommodated his medical needs.

• Like 2

OMG. What sort of company is this?!! Who rescinded the job offer? What the hell?

I agree! I would be livid!!! And can they get away with doing that???

I agree with everyone else -- I wouldn't let them get away with this without a fight.

What an emotional roller coaster for you and your son. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

• Like 1

At this point, I think he's better off NOT working for this company. They sound like they can't get their s**t straight.

I'm shaking with you, but honestly, tell him we all think he's better off elsewhere. This company would not be a good fit for him.

• Like 1

At this point, I think he's better off NOT working for this company. They sound like they can't get their s**t straight.

I'm shaking with you, but honestly, tell him we all think he's better off elsewhere. This company would not be a good fit for him.

It's still worth pursuing if they discriminated if only to stop them from doing the same to others. But I agree with you. A company that treats you badly during the application phase is not likely to improve the experience when you're actually working for them.

• Like 4