Menu

RIP Tom Petty

Spy Car

I'm near tears with the news Tom Petty has been declared brain dead and is off life support after being found in his Malibu home unconscious and not breathing after an apparent heart-attack.

My wife and I love Tom Petty. I asked her just last Friday who, of all the living artists still performing, who she'd like to see most? Tom Petty was the first name out of her mouth.

Feeling sick (on top of all the other bad news).

Sorry.

Bill

• Like 2

:crying:

When Prince passed away there was a video making the rounds of him playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps with Tom Petty, not to mentioned Jeff Lynn, Steve Winwood, and George Harrison's son Dhani. I'll post it again, but for Tom Petty this time:

• Like 7

I keep bursting into tears. This is going to be a very hard night in the Spy Car household.

While I was a huge fan, Mrs Spy Car takes it to another level.

Our home is very close to Mr Petty's former home in Encino, and when she was a young teenager Mrs Spy Car crashed a party at his house. She admits she and her friends were so excited they couldn't hold it together (which led to them being ejected).

She loves Tom. Sigh.

I've been in the house as a guest of his ex-wife Jane who continued to live there after their divorce. Wild house. All wood, with secret rooms and an amazing recording studio.

We lost a legend today.

Bill  

• Like 1

:crying:

When Prince passed away there was a video making the rounds of him playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps with Tom Petty, not to mentioned Jeff Lynn, Steve Winwood, and George Harrison's son Dhani. I'll post it again, but for Tom Petty this time:

I watched the Martin Scorsese documentary on George Harrison the other day, and Tom Petty was talking about the call he got from George Harrison when (fellow Traveling Wilbury) Roy Orbison died.

Petty looked impishly at the camera, saying (roughly) "I shouldn't say this, but I'm going to. George said to me 'aren't you glad it wasn't you?'"

Then Petty looked somewhere between stunned and laughing and said "Yeah!"

It was a very real moment.

Bill

This one has had me in tears. I saw him in concert many times in the 90s and early 2000s, I wanted to go again several years ago but put it off because I was heavily pregnant. One of my all-time favorite singers.

RIP, Tom. One more time to kill the pain.  :crying:

I remember listening to Tom Petty on my transistor radio way back in the day when Radio Shack and transistor radios were big things to certain pre-teens.  :(

Remember when he was in that movie the Postman and Costner's character asks him about being someone? One of the best parts of the movie. 

I'm sorry for the sadness so many of you feel.  Just a question: It's 6:50pm ET (2+ hours after the original post) and I'm not seeing anything from numerous news sources saying he has died. I did see that he was removed from life support, which admittedly probably isn't a good thing.  But did someone see it announced somewhere that he has actually died?  I don't think he's dead yet.  

Edited by milovany

I'm sorry for the sadness so many of you feel.  Just a question: It's 6:50pm ET (2+ hours after the original post) and I'm not seeing anything from numerous news sources saying he has died. I did see that he was removed from life support, which admittedly probably isn't a good thing.  But did someone see it announced somewhere that he has actually died?  

There are conflicting reports.

It was reported that the LAPD had announced he was dead, but they have refuted this claim 

Other reports say he shows no signs of brain activity (so brain-dead).

I'm hoping for a miracle.

Bill

Sad. I loved Tom Petty.

That rendition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps posted upthread...wow. That was stunning. I want DH and DS to team up and play this. Probably not going to happen because I would have to divert DS' attention from Beartooth for a while.

He's in hospital, seriously ill. Not dead.

Seriously ill? When you're brain-dead you aren't "seriously ill."

Sheez.

Bill

Where did you read that he is brain dead? I have read multiple news articles today and all seem to confirm what Sadie posted, which is that he is seriously ill and is on life support.

None of the reports sound particularly hopeful, though. :(

The reports I read said he was in full cardiac arrest when they found him and he was taken for life support earlier in the day because of no brain activity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4942072/Tom-Petty-life-support-suffering-cardiac-arrest.html

Apparently, there are conflicting reports.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/tom-petty-on-life-support-after-cardiac-arrest-according-to-reports/ar-AAsPaul?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I grew up in S FL during the 70's/80's and Tom Petty was a staple on the radio rotation with every DJ giving a shout out "here's one from our own Florida Son, Tom Petty.

Talent that bright never fades.  Shine on, Tom. 

• Like 3