Menu

Is navy (in a kitchen) neutral enough?

hopskipjump

We're about to DIY-renovate our kitchen. I'm trying, with any home-improvements we make, to use as neutral a palette as possible (for when we sell this house in a few years). But the family is tired of beige and they're beginning to protest my brilliant plan.

So. We're considering navy cabinets with dark glazing for the bottom and cream cabinets with less glazing for the top cabinets. Similar to this, but navy/cream instead of grey/white: http://www.remodelaholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/grey-and-white-painted-kitchen-reveal-House-For-Five-featured-on-Remodelaholic-600x407.jpg

Countertops and floors will be a cream color. Appliances are stainless steel and black. Backsplash will be determined. Other paint and furniture colors throughout the open spaces of the house will be from the Timeless Beauty palette: http://www.hgtvhomebysherwinwilliams.com/color-collection/Timeless-Beauty

Cream cabinets:

http://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/hgtv/fullset/2014/5/12/0/original_Ron-and-Martha-Wolford-off-white-traditional-kitchen.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.960.suffix/1400991821480.jpeg

Navy cabinets:

http://fluxdecor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/kitchen-cabinet-paint-colors/21-kitchen-cabinet-paint-color.jpg

I love the blue cabinets, but I don't think they are neutral.  Also, I think they are lighter than navy, and that a true navy with the glazing would be very attractive and much more neutral.  I'm glad you're not using the grey, it's so overdone.  I would go with the darker navy, glazing included, and I would invest in some can lights to brighten the room, since the appliances and lower cabinets are going to all be so dark.

I'd add a lighter color to your palette for the rest of the house, too.  Those beigeish colors are darker than you think.  They will make the rooms look smaller unless you break them up.

• Like 2

My mom did a rich deep blue in her kitchen... and regrets it.  The only blue is actually in a line of tile, the cabinets are bright white and the counters are a grey silestone with flecks of many colors in it.  But still, the blue sort of forces the palette possibilities for the kitchen as well as the dining and breakfast nook because there is an open floor plan there.  

Here is my favorite kitchen ever, and I think it has lots of color without losing neutrality:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/kitchen-remodel-mom-dad-2.jpg

She used to have a whole post on her remodel, but now I'm not finding it!

I think navy often does function as a neutral.

Anyway, if the rest of the room is right, I think it will be fine on the cabinets.  The main thing would be not to have the room to dark generally since the cabinets will be dark, and I assume the appliances too if you go with stainless steel. You may also need to be careful with those elements that it doesn't seem to cold.  With all the greys and blues that have been trendy the last few years, that is a common problem.

As much as house buyers think they like "neutral" what they often really seem to want is tasteful and classic, and they are as likely to find beige boring as anyone else.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

If you are thinking about resale, I would select white or light grey cabinets. Blue is not for everyone. Buy removable dark blue items like utensils holders, towels, etc. if you want being the blue color into the room. Your goal isn't really to "wow" or make stuff "pop" to sell despite what a lot of stagers will recommend. Your goal is to appeal the largest percentage of buyers and to make people think they wouldn't need to change anything to move in, so beige/grey/white are your friends if resale is the goal.

• Like 5

My previous home had blue cabinets, but they were a white blue, which gave the smallest dash of blue, loved that color, fitting for a cottage. Navy cabinets? No. not neutral and I wouldn't like how it "forces the palette" - love that phrase. I would do cream and bring in color in other ways. 

• Like 1

I'd go all cream.  Maybe a darker cream for the bottom.  I think the navy/cream is too dramatic a difference and don't like it.  This from the woman who picked out a medium blue Formica countertop ;-) and has realized it will be a problem when we want to sell.

Get your navy fix in with kitchen linens, countertop appliances, window treatment, etc.

Edited by JFSinIL

I would go all cream...my in-laws' cabinets are that color and it looks ok though not something I'd choose myself. I think it would look funny to use two different colors for cabinets. I'd choose a different color for the floors and maybe the countertop too if you go with all cream cabinets though.

For resale--go white, cream, grey, or even black. Don't do colors.

Cabinets are a challenge and an expense to paint. Buyers who don't like the color will only see $$$ and sweat instead of a great kitchen. 

Add bold color with accessories--that is pleasing to the eye and shows well in photographs. 

They aren't neutral at all, they're highly trendy.  On the other hand, I think the navy cabinet trend started less than a year ago, so you'll probably have 15 years before they start to look dated and you need to paint them again.

If you're doing them to sell the house I'd choose white or ivory shaker cabinets top and bottom.

If you're doing them for yourselves, do whatever you want.  Though I would warn you that different colors on the top & bottom is already starting to look dated.  If you want a contrast, put a different color on the island.  That's only 2ish years old.

• Like 1

They aren't neutral at all, they're highly trendy.  On the other hand, I think the navy cabinet trend started less than a year ago, so you'll probably have 15 years before they start to look dated and you need to paint them again.

If you're doing them to sell the house I'd choose white or ivory shaker cabinets top and bottom.

If you're doing them for yourselves, do whatever you want.  Though I would warn you that different colors on the top & bottom is already starting to look dated.  If you want a contrast, put a different color on the island.  That's only 2ish years old.

Bolding mine.

It may depend on where you are at...my sis in law was doing a different color on her island 20 years ago. I see it lot still (especially in new construction homes) and think its a pretty enduring trend, but it's not new--at least around here. 

For pops of color, do you have a place for several small hanging lights in a row, like over an island?  Lately at some open houses I have been seeing, say, 3-4 different *bright* colors in the light shades rather than matching ones, and that opens up the color spectrum for the rest of the room without imposing one dominant color scheme.

• Like 1

If you are thinking of selling within the next couple years, I would ask a professional (either real estate agent or kitchen designer or such) what is best. You can do a lot with accessories to get some pop. Painting the walls a non-neutral color that you could redo as a neutral before sale would be a less expensive option than using the cabinets. 

"Neutral" in terms of home decorating and resale is not the same as "neutral" in terms of clothing for instance. "Neutral" in decorating/resale means something like "least likely to be off-putting to the greatest number of buyers."  Trendy is not neutral. Classic is neutral. Things are classic because they have lasted over many seasons of trendy. 

I think it looks lovely, and much warmer and cozier than the gray I see everywhere now.  

That said, it probably isn't neutral.  I think if you had more of a true navy and less of it,  with the biggest color that you see being cream, you could maybe pull it off because you still have an overall feeling of it being a cream kitchen then instead of navy.  Also, with a true navy you can more easily add other accent colors too, like yellow or red or even green. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input! See, I think of navy as a mostly neutral color (anything goes with navy!) - but like a pp said, I'm thinking more along the lines of clothing vs house stuff. Blurg.

Our original plan was to strip, sand, and re-stain the cabinets. But we got hung up on what color? Darker stains are "in" right now, but with our luck pale stains will be the thing once we are ready to sell.

What, do you think, is generally always "timeless" and "neutral" when everything is so trendy? :/

(And I don't even like navy, lol, so navy accessories won't be necessary. I just thought it would be a neutral-that-isn't-beige. There's a ton of light in that area and we have great lighting added already, so a dark color shouldn't be a problem)

Maybe cream (light glaze) on top and a darker tan (heavier glaze) on bottom? All cream cabinets would cause a family mutiny.

Colors for the rest of the house (accessories-/ furniture wise) tend toward the bohemian (oranges, greens, blues, whites, creams, red...).

Painting and/or staining anything is opening Pandora's Box as it is. This house has a TON of built-in oak features. Which was nice until it's time to re-do it all! 😂

Here is my favorite kitchen ever, and I think it has lots of color without losing neutrality:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/photos/kitchen-remodel-mom-dad-2.jpg

She used to have a whole post on her remodel, but now I'm not finding it!

Oh I LOVE the backsplash!!! Maybe the fam could be convinced for boring cabinets and wall color if they could get that backsplash. ðŸ‘

• Like 1

Personally I would go with white rather than beige.

Then you could put in color in other, smaller ways.  White kitchens never really go out of style.

Here is a picture of colored pendant lights in red:  https://www.houzz.com/photos/71073450/Peak-Collection-Three-Lights-Pendant-Fixture-pendant-lighting

This doesn't impose a red color scheme the way red cabinets would, for instance.

Here is a white kitchen with stainless appliances--this is similar to what I am suggesting for you.  I would change out the pendant lights for colored ones, and in three different colors--probably red, yellow, and green.    https://www.google.com/search?q=hanging+lights+over+island+in+colors&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS752US752&tbm=isch&imgil=bDuvxnUHfo3JdM%253A%253BTGpDBfLVfaqBEM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.nichemodern.com%25252Fblog%25252Fhow-many-pendant-lights-should-be-used-over-a-kitchen-island&source=iu&pf=m&fir=bDuvxnUHfo3JdM%253A%252CTGpDBfLVfaqBEM%252C_&usg=__UKw5CdjJuKeGgI7YWsJCyUChzRA%3D&biw=1536&bih=735&ved=0ahUKEwjf0_DChOvVAhVkzlQKHRyyCGcQyjcIjAI&ei=bj2cWd_kEeSc0wKc5KK4Bg#imgrc=bDuvxnUHfo3JdM:

Here is a great example of coordinating mixed colors in pendant lights.  This would enable you to use just about any colors in the kitchen and have them 'go with' the decor:  https://www.google.com/search?q=pendant+lights+in+bright+colors&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CR0NO0Nyt3cgIjgcc-agqYxxPMip-Qhy_1O1wQh_1ShxLQ8DWPvTEq50AF6jJuM4xc8wp4Je_1VJs9fS3NGpGhtVgghXSoSCRxz5qCpjHE8EQ54QK4gzV5sKhIJyKn5CHL87XARnbzVBIWkfSwqEglCH9KHEtDwNRHJq7nCcdJ8CCoSCY-9MSrnQAXqEbAJ0QChrIRlKhIJMm4zjFzzCngRBBJiAWgHhOUqEgkl79Umz19LcxE6kZCgCB0nSSoSCUakaG1WCCFdEaxM-eaKL7wl&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuxt_NhevVAhUP2GMKHX48AFcQ9C8IHA&biw=1536&bih=735&dpr=1.25#imgrc=bJa3OX7242BHOM:

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

No, navy is not neutral enough for cabinets. Grey would be much better.

Navy cabinets would be a big turnoff for me in looking at a house because I would want to change that color, which would be an expense I would not want after buying a house.

This is what we're doing in our new house but just for the island, with brass pulls. O'course it's a navy town and a cottage style home. I've no doubt it will sell or rent without issue. https://www.google.com/search?q=navy+brass+kitchen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=-9fApnwuEDZWaM:

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

White or ivory cabinets are the most timeless color.  Well, technically white, but a realtor will likely tell you to use ivory because white shows every tiny spec of dirt, and chances are you won't have time to scrub off every fingerprint before you show your house.  Unless you send all kids to Grandma's for a week or two when you list, and price to sell.

Personally I would go with white rather than beige.

Then you could put in color in other, smaller ways. White kitchens never really go out of style.

Here is a picture of colored pendant lights in red: https://www.houzz.com/photos/71073450/Peak-Collection-Three-Lights-Pendant-Fixture-pendant-lighting

This doesn't impose a red color scheme the way red cabinets would, for instance.

Here is a white kitchen with stainless appliances--this is similar to what I am suggesting for you. I would change out the pendant lights for colored ones, and in three different colors--probably red, yellow, and green. https://www.google.com/search?q=hanging+lights+over+island+in+colors&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS752US752&tbm=isch&imgil=bDuvxnUHfo3JdM%253A%253BTGpDBfLVfaqBEM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.nichemodern.com%25252Fblog%25252Fhow-many-pendant-lights-should-be-used-over-a-kitchen-island&source=iu&pf=m&fir=bDuvxnUHfo3JdM%253A%252CTGpDBfLVfaqBEM%252C_&usg=__UKw5CdjJuKeGgI7YWsJCyUChzRA%3D&biw=1536&bih=735&ved=0ahUKEwjf0_DChOvVAhVkzlQKHRyyCGcQyjcIjAI&ei=bj2cWd_kEeSc0wKc5KK4Bg#imgrc=bDuvxnUHfo3JdM:

Here is a great example of coordinating mixed colors in pendant lights. This would enable you to use just about any colors in the kitchen and have them 'go with' the decor: https://www.google.com/search?q=pendant+lights+in+bright+colors&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CR0NO0Nyt3cgIjgcc-agqYxxPMip-Qhy_1O1wQh_1ShxLQ8DWPvTEq50AF6jJuM4xc8wp4Je_1VJs9fS3NGpGhtVgghXSoSCRxz5qCpjHE8EQ54QK4gzV5sKhIJyKn5CHL87XARnbzVBIWkfSwqEglCH9KHEtDwNRHJq7nCcdJ8CCoSCY-9MSrnQAXqEbAJ0QChrIRlKhIJMm4zjFzzCngRBBJiAWgHhOUqEgkl79Umz19LcxE6kZCgCB0nSSoSCUakaG1WCCFdEaxM-eaKL7wl&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuxt_NhevVAhUP2GMKHX48AFcQ9C8IHA&biw=1536&bih=735&dpr=1.25#imgrc=bJa3OX7242BHOM:

Can't do white unfortunately :/ Flooring is a done-deal and definitely creamy/beige. White would look odd (wouldn't it? :unsure:). Also can't do pendant lights because lighting was recently done as well (we do have pendants elsewhere though! Brightly colored ones! :) )

We're a family who loves color, so this neutral thing is tough. :rofl:  The walls I've recently painted are all boring, but we have brightly colored (orange, purple) curtains. :D I also have boring, neutral curtains ready to hang up when we are ready to sell the house. And I'll hide all the brightly colored pillows from the couches. And the brightly colored rugs. :p

Edited by hopskipjump

White or ivory cabinets are the most timeless color. Well, technically white, but a realtor will likely tell you to use ivory because white shows every tiny spec of dirt, and chances are you won't have time to scrub off every fingerprint before you show your house. Unless you send all kids to Grandma's for a week or two when you list, and price to sell.

Kids-at-home are 17 and 15. Thankfully - plenty old enough to wipe their own fingerprints and help keep this place clean. :D

I've been waiting for years for them to be old enough for me to have the sanity to keep this house tip-top clean and ready-to-sell. lol Couldn't have mentally managed that when they were younger. :lol:

Edited by hopskipjump

Thanks for the input! See, I think of navy as a mostly neutral color (anything goes with navy!) - but like a pp said, I'm thinking more along the lines of clothing vs house stuff. Blurg.

Our original plan was to strip, sand, and re-stain the cabinets. But we got hung up on what color? Darker stains are "in" right now, but with our luck pale stains will be the thing once we are ready to sell.

What, do you think, is generally always "timeless" and "neutral" when everything is so trendy? :/

(And I don't even like navy, lol, so navy accessories won't be necessary. I just thought it would be a neutral-that-isn't-beige. There's a ton of light in that area and we have great lighting added already, so a dark color shouldn't be a problem)

Maybe cream (light glaze) on top and a darker tan (heavier glaze) on bottom? All cream cabinets would cause a family mutiny.

Colors for the rest of the house (accessories-/ furniture wise) tend toward the bohemian (oranges, greens, blues, whites, creams, red...).

Painting and/or staining anything is opening Pandora's Box as it is. This house has a TON of built-in oak features. Which was nice until it's time to re-do it all! 😂

As far as not being too trendy, I think there are three things:  respond to the house you have; use good materials; and actually have a bit of a vision.

Can't do white unfortunately :/ Flooring is a done-deal and definitely creamy/beige. White would look odd (wouldn't it? :unsure:). Also can't do pendant lights because lighting was recently done as well (we do have pendants elsewhere though! Brightly colored ones! :) )

We're a family who loves color, so this neutral thing is tough. :rofl:  The walls I've recently painted are all boring, but we have brightly colored (orange, purple) curtains. :D I also have boring, neutral curtains ready to hang up when we are ready to sell the house. And I'll hide all the brightly colored pillows from the couches. And the brightly colored rugs. :p

I saw an article recently saying that navy kitchen walls were selling high than white, and before that it was yellow.  If you want colour, I'd go for paint, in whatever colour you'd like.  You can paint an on trend colour when you are ready to sell.

• Like 1

I don't like gray as a timeless kitchen color, which is what is so popular now, but maybe I'm in the minority.  Gray feels so cold to me!

I can see that dark or bright colors might be trendy, and will change over time.

But I think there are some lighter colors that can be timeless for a kitchen:  cream, light yellow, white, maybe other very light pastels.

Said from someone who has a cream and light yellow kitchen.  :)

• Like 2

This is what we're doing in our new house but just for the island, with brass pulls. O'course it's a navy town and a cottage style home. I've no doubt it will sell or rent without issue. https://www.google.com/search?q=navy+brass+kitchen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=-9fApnwuEDZWaM:

What I've seen is that if it's a high end, beautifully designed kitchen that fits the house, people will like it.  It's also possible to be on trend somewhat but also classic - darker cabinets on the bottom has been a trend, but it's also not outside what has been done for years in nice homes.  It just wasn't as ubiquitous.  

A bit like shaker style cabinets - they go in and out of trend but they are always classic.

My mom's house that she sold a few years ago had largely old white coloured cabinets and walls in the kitchen/entry, but the floors were all black tile, the island had a black countertop, and the doors through the whole house were black.  A realtor would probably have said not to paint the doors.

But it was completely beautiful of its type, and it sold as soon as the pictures went up.  And really the doors made the house.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

As an agent, I believe you can be TOO neutral. Neutral can be blah. So keep the cabs and walls neutral because they stay with the house. But enjoy strong color with your accessories. I often add bright cheerful pillows to couches, as well as modern and bright framed prints on the walls. I add big bold pieces that add color and personality when a listing needs to 'wake up'. 

It's a fine line...and there are probably agents who would disagree, but I'm having nice success in my area. 

• Like 1

What I've seen is that if it's a high end, beautifully designed kitchen that fits the house, people will like it. It's also possible to be on trend somewhat but also classic - darker cabinets on the bottom has been a trend, but it's also not outside what has been done for years in nice homes. It just wasn't as ubiquitous.

A bit like shaker style cabinets - they go in and out of trend but they are always classic.

My mom's house that she sold a few years ago had largely old white coloured cabinets and walls in the kitchen/entry, but the floors were all black tile, the island had a black countertop, and the doors through the whole house were black. A realtor would probably have said not to paint the doors.

But it was completely beautiful of its type, and it sold as soon as the pictures went up. And really the doors made the house.

Yes. I think it's all in the design. The style we like these days tends to be transitional--navy, off-white, deep red/burgundy accents, lots of wood in different tones, antique and brushed brass/bronze. It works with all of the things we've acquired through the years and you can add/subtract a things easily without the spaces looking dated. Everything from farmhouse to mid-century will fit. Once every three-five years I might change a major accent color to stay on trend but that's it.

Our AR house's kitchen has cream-colored cabinets and a black center island. I still like it and most ppl love it but it's 10 years old and feels a bit dated to me. The navy/off-white combo is just a slight variation on the same theme but feels more fresh. The addition of butcher block and brass warm it up too.

I quite like color when it's done well and I've yet to see a model home without it.

• Like 1

Cabinets are the most expensive item to upgrade in a kitchen so I would stick to a basic wood or white.  If you really want to make the room a bit more interesting choose a paint color that you love or even a backsplash you love (much cheaper and easier to change once it is dated).

Echoing that the navy is gorgeous but not neutral.  

I have had my house for 5 years.....I planned on having a kitchen long before now!  But anyway, 5 years ago I planned black cabinets....now I am thinking I will do white.  White always comes back around.