Menu

Help with Baby Girl Names

medawyn

Baby Girl Names  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite choice for baby girl names (nickname in parenthesis)

• Lola Jean
    • Vivienne May (Vivi)
    • Penelope May (Poppy)
    • Beatrice May (Bea)
    • Margaret Jean (Meg)
    • Catherine Louise (Cate)
    • obligatory other

We just found out baby number 4 is a girl, and thank goodness, because we had NO boy names.  Now we (um, I) have a list of girl names, and of course we both like different ones.

I figured the Hive could weigh in, and probably throw some new names in the ring.

If it helps, our daughter is Josephine Elise, mostly called Josie.  The boys are Thomas and Mak. 

I think Victoria goes well with Josephine. Elizabeth too, but you've already used Elise.

Of your choices I picked Catherine Louise.

My #4 is named Audrey and often called Addy.

Wendy

My nieces are Ellie (Eleanor) and Audrey.  Between Elise and Ellie, Elizabeth is too close, although I love the name.

I love all of them! My top 3 from these would be Beatrice, Margaret, and Catherine. I like the nicknames for Margaret and Catherine slightly more than Bea for Beatrice. I think Cate flows more with Josie, so I voted for Catherine.

I won't even suggest anything else because these options are so lovely!

• Like 2

Katherine was my top pick had DS1, DS2, DS3, DS4, and DS5 been girls. Katie fits well with Josie. Also, Abigail (Abby), or Elizabeth; even though you used Elise, you could use Elizabeth and call her Beth or Betsy. (Betsy and Josie -- that's so sweet!)

Victoria (Tori), Amy, and Margaret (Maggie) come to mind, but I think my brain is associating Josephine with Little Women.

Katherine was my top pick had DS1, DS2, DS3, DS4, and DS5 been girls. Katie fits well with Josie. Also, Abigail (Abby), or Elizabeth; even though you used Elise, you could use Elizabeth and call her Beth or Betsy. (Betsy and Josie -- that's so sweet!)

Victoria (Tori), Amy, and Margaret (Maggie) come to mind, but I think my brain is associating Josephine with Little Women.

I think Little Women is why I keep flashing to Margaret called Meg as one of my top five.

Abigail is my name, which is why it isn't making the list.  It pops up on every name generator as "fitting" with our other names  :laugh:

• Like 1

I love love love Penelope nn "Poppy" so sweet!

I also love Penelope/Poppy!  You usually see Penelope shortened to Penny, which is cute, but Poppy is awesome!  It's also not a common or trending name right now, which I especially love.  

Me too! Poppy is one of my favorite nicknames for Penelope.

I was a teensy, tiny bit disappointed we didn't end up pregnant with twins (they run heavily in my family), because I would have named twin girls Penelope and Beatrice (Poppy and Bea).  But mostly I was relieved, because 5 babies in 4 years might have sent us 'round the bend.

I think Little Women is why I keep flashing to Margaret called Meg as one of my top five.

Abigail is my name, which is why it isn't making the list.  It pops up on every name generator as "fitting" with our other names  :laugh:

I think this must have been why Margaret immediately appealed to me. You would have a Meg and a Jo(sie)! I didn't even realize it, though, until you posted this. It just sounded right!

I wouldn't do Meg, since you already have a Mak. I wouldn't do Louise, since you already have an Elise (but, since it's a middle name, it doesn't matter that much... it's just my personal preference). Is Bea pronounced Bee or Bee-ah? (I'm guessing Bee, but since I'm from NL and the queen was called Beatrix, I'm inclined to think Bay-ah). 

• Like 2

Me too! Poppy is one of my favorite nicknames for Penelope.

I was a teensy, tiny bit disappointed we didn't end up pregnant with twins (they run heavily in my family), because I would have named twin girls Penelope and Beatrice (Poppy and Bea). But mostly I was relieved, because 5 babies in 4 years might have sent us 'round the bend.

Poppy and Bea would be a darling twin set.

I met a family at the park with a Poppy and she was just so darn stinking cute I have thought about it the name ever sense. Their sibset was Poppy, Primrose, Willow and Winslet

It seemed they were going for a theme there but Winslet threw me. Still...darling little girls so they made any name look adorable.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 2

I like Beatrice May, but I am not a huge fan of the nickname. I just like the whole name. I love Margaret Jean more and almost used Margaret myself, but the nickname Meg is too similar to Mak for me.

I wouldn't do Meg, since you already have a Mak. I wouldn't do Louise, since you already have an Elise (but, since it's a middle name, it doesn't matter that much... it's just my personal preference). Is Bea pronounced Bee or Bee-ah? (I'm guessing Bee, but since I'm from NL and the queen was called Beatrix, I'm inclined to think Bay-ah).

I missed the Meg/Mak issue. I agree that's too close. So, while Meg is still my favorite I just changed my vote to "Bea".

I like Catherine, but not Louise with it. Catherine May is better.

Also, ignore the upthreads suggesting Audrey. It's a stodgy old lady name and I hate it.

Oh, you can't be serious! I love Audrey.

But I understand old lady names. I grew up with Lillian as a middle name. That name is all kinds of cool now, but in 1970s? Not so much.

• Like 2

I voted for Bea, and while I like Poppy too, I think "Bea" is a more appropriate nn for a grown up than Poppy could ever be.

And I prefer Mae to May.

I much prefer the spelling "Mae" as well, but we would be using the name in honor of DH's late grandmother, so May it is.

• Like 1

I like Beatrice May, but I am not a huge fan of the nickname. I just like the whole name. I love Margaret Jean more and almost used Margaret myself, but the nickname Meg is too similar to Mak for me.

I missed the Meg/Mak issue. I agree that's too close. So, while Meg is still my favorite I just changed my vote to "Bea".

This is one reason I'm relieved we don't have to come up with a boy name.  All I can think of right now is Matthew, but Matt and Mak are definitely too close.  (Mak's given name is Michael, but unlike my oldest who we've never called a nickname, Mak only goes by his nickname, which are also his initials.)

But Meg will probably end up out, despite my lifelong love of Margaret because of the closeness of the nicknames.  I never know until baby is born what version of the name we'll end up with, but I don't want to be forever tripping up on names when I'm rounding people up from the backyard.

I much prefer the spelling "Mae" as well, but we would be using the name in honor of DH's late grandmother, so May it is.

My grandmother had both versions of may in her name. 😊 her given middle name was Mae, and when she remarried late in life, her surname became May. So Elsie Mae May was her name. :) I had a notion that if I ever used the middle name Mae, I would use the May spelling to homor her husband, too.

• Like 1

Oh, you can't be serious! I love Audrey.

But I understand old lady names. I grew up with Lillian as a middle name. That name is all kinds of cool now, but in 1970s? Not so much.

I named DD Aubrey Ellen back when it was still an old lady name... now Aubrey has become very popular :glare: . Audrey is due for a resurgence soon too I think. Also I like the nickname Audie for Audrey.

• Like 1

Or Maisie?  Or Daisy?  Or Margot? or Peg?

One of the wonderful things about Margaret is the variety of nicknames to choose from.

I didn't know Daisy was a nickname for Margaret (I have now googled and am informed).  Very cool!

I like Mary for the variety of nicknames too, although we don't use any of them.

Ha, funny.  My mom's middle name is Mae, so we had to use Mae instead of May (which I thought I preferred at the time we were naming the child who now has this as a middle name).  

Or Maisie? Or Daisy? Or Margot? or Peg?

One of the wonderful things about Margaret is the variety of nicknames to choose from.

This is a benefit of Margaret. I come from a long line of Margarets and I am the only one to not get the name because my mom deeply disliked it. I love it though. When she was little her nn was Molly which is adorable. Once she started school she became Peggy like her grandmother and that is what she has gone by my entire life.

I wouldn't take it off the table because of Meg. It is such a beautiful classic.

Love Vivienne (Vivi). Second choice would be Penelope cause I love the name Poppy but I'd be worried someone might call her Penny and it would stick (except personally I like Pen and Penny too but if you don't....).

Simply don't tell people you meet her full name. Almost no-one knows my kids' names - they just know the nicknames. 

Simply don't tell people you meet her full name. Almost no-one knows my kids' names - they just know the nicknames. 

In my family the person who renamed my kid with a different nickname was my mom.  I can't really imagine refusing to tell her the entire name. 

• Like 1

In my family the person who renamed my kid with a different nickname was my mom.  I can't really imagine refusing to tell her the entire name. 

Well, that was rude of her. And I'd tell her that the kid's name is Poppy, not Penny (to go with the example in this thread... not sure if that was your kid's name), and (if she continues with the wrong name) that if she can't call the kid by the correct name, she can't be around the kid. But yes, she'd obviously be in the group of people who'd know the kid's full name.