Menu

Help with Baby Girl Names

medawyn

Baby Girl Names  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite choice for baby girl names (nickname in parenthesis)

• Lola Jean
    • Vivienne May (Vivi)
    • Penelope May (Poppy)
    • Beatrice May (Bea)
    • Margaret Jean (Meg)
    • Catherine Louise (Cate)
    • obligatory other

I like them all except for Lola. I've never been able to get into that name.

This seems to be an overwhelming opinion. Either it's a pet name (get that slot) or it's been ruined somewhere between Damn Yankees and the Kinks.

Lola was my great grandmother (we called her Bowa), so I have lovely associations with the name, but outside of my family who also knew her, I'm pretty much getting shot down. DH is adamantly opposed, so including Lola on any name list is wishful thinking on my part.

As it stands, I'm backing Penelope and he's backing Vivienne, which appear to be front runners for the Hive as well. We have a few months to live with ideas before baby girl puts in an appearance, at least.

• Like 1

This is one reason I'm relieved we don't have to come up with a boy name.  All I can think of right now is Matthew, but Matt and Mak are definitely too close.  (Mak's given name is Michael, but unlike my oldest who we've never called a nickname, Mak only goes by his nickname, which are also his initials.)

But Meg will probably end up out, despite my lifelong love of Margaret because of the closeness of the nicknames.  I never know until baby is born what version of the name we'll end up with, but I don't want to be forever tripping up on names when I'm rounding people up from the backyard.

You could switch the nickname to Maggie instead :0)  But then having 3 m names may be a bit confusing, LOL