Menu

So my DH didn't get the job

PinkTulip

I posted last week about my DH interviewing for a new job, and we found out yesterday he didn't get it. We currently have our own business, but are losing our client that represents 80% of our income because DH is (rightly) refusing to do some shady/unethical/borderline illegal stuff the client wants him to do.

So today's docket is tell the kids, call a leasing agent about a rental home I've had my eye on, and start getting our house "realtor ready" to put up for sale. It's strange because we are actually going on vacation in 10 days, but the vacation is already paid for and we can't get our money back at this point. It feels so weird to be going on vacation when we're basically losing our job. I guess we'll go, try to relax, and enjoy the moment until we come home and face some hard realities.

Ideally, we will push hard and have the house ready to hit the market while we're on vacation. It would be a good time to have people walking through while we're gone. We'll see how the next 10 days go, though.

If you are the praying type, any prayers / positive thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. It's going to get bumpy around here for the next year or so until we get our feet back under us.

ETA: fixed typo

Edited by Pink Tulip
  • Like 4

I posted last week about my DH interviewing for a new job, and we found out yesterday he didn't get it. We currently have our own business, but are losing our client that represents 80% of our income because DH is (rightly) refusing to do some shady/unethical/borderline illegal stuff the client wants him to do.

So today's docket is tell the kids, call a leasing agent about a rental home I've had my eye on, and start getting our house "realtor ready" to put up for sale. It's strange because we are actually going on vacation in 10 days, but the vacation is already paid for and we can't get our money back at this point. It feels so weird to be going on vacation when we're basically losing our job. I guess we'll go, try to relax, and enjoy the moment until we come home and face some hard realities.

Ideally, we will push hard and have the house ready to hit the market while we're on vacation. It would be a good time to have people walking through while we're gone. We'll see how the next 10 days go, though.

If you are the praying type, any prayers / positive thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated. It's going to get bumpy around here for the next year or so until we get our feet back under us.

ETA: fixed typo

So sorry. I Am sure it will work out and he will get a job soon...but I know it is terrible in the meantime.

Last summer Dh lost his job less than two weeks before a big NYC trip with our teen boys. We decided to go anyway and I am glad we did. We had a great time, great memories and a year later Dh is back to work even though at the time it was like he would nver get hired again.

(((Hugs)))

• Like 3

I am sure you and your Dh have thought this through, but I am wondering about selling and renting while job searching. What if he gets a job where relocation is necessary?

I was just thinking this too. Frequently, relocation can be a financial advantage.

Of course, if doesn't apply if you need to stay near family or already live on an inexpensive place.

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll be thinking of you. I hope your DH finds something soon.

:grouphug: But enjoy the vacation.  You worked hard and earned it, and it can be a good time to grow closer as a family so you can get through this together.   Showing the house while you are away would be awesome. Hope it sells quickly and that dh finds the right job. 

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know it isn't easy. However, you would be amazed how much a vacation actually helps clear your head when you are in situations like this. 

I am sure there are few of us that haven't been where you are right now. It is never easy but I do know that sometimes it works out better then you could have ever imagined. DH lost his job (company closed) in May 2011 and he was out of work till December 2011. It was AWFUL. When he did find a job it was for a severe pay cut and the insurance was a joke (not good as I was only 2 years out from lymphoma at the time). DH hated not making more money. However it was something. I kept telling him that it was "job training" for an even better job. Hard to say that to someone who has a PhD and doesn't think they needed more training. However he perservered and ended up leaving that company when he couldn't grow anymore (it was a small company). He went to an even smaller company that sounded great, but was the worst job he ever had. Little did he know that a bit over a year later, he would reach out to his contacts and found a job that wasn't advertised and was 1.5 hours away (each way). He got this job because he befriended the HR person at that first job when he was making peanuts (relatively speaking). He wouldn't have got this job without doing what he did to make ends meet back in 2011. To say this is his dream job and company is a HUGE understatement. Even with his HUGE commute he LOVES this job. Turns out I was right. He did do job training. He is a better person for it too. 

My point is, just keep your head up and look at everything. Also networking is key. DH wouldn't have found this job if he had just talked to people in his field. He found it by looking at everyone. Trust me I wouldn't think in a million, zillion years that my husband would be working where he is working now. In fact I am SHOCKED that he is working there. However, sometimes the perfect job is in an unexpected place. 

Prayers for you and your family. Please keep us posted!

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  for those sky-falling moments.  It sounds like you're handling it well, generally, though.  I hope things go as smoothly as possible and prayers sent for you and yours.  I'd see the vacation as a fortuitous piece of provision.  It would be a great time for open houses and walk-throughs, and it's a last hurrah before having to batten down the hatches.  Have fun!

I'll certainly pray for you.   I like to think that when something like that doesn't work out, a better option is around the corner!

I still remember when I was in high school and my father lost his job completely unexpectedly.  (The company he worked for closed down.)  He had just paid off a big family trip to Hawaii, our first ever big trip like that.  

So, he lost his job and then our whole family went to Hawaii.  My mother always got a kick out of wondering what everyone was thinking!  :)

Sorry to hear your news and will keep you all in prayers.  Hubby and I have found vacations can be a great time for brainstorming, so who knows?  You could end up finding out this is a blessing in disguise as some others have seen (including us).  I'll be praying.  

I'm so sorry!  Sometimes life is just hard.  Praying the peace that passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds.  Sometimes the unknown is frightening.  Go on your vacation and soak up the family time.  Praying God opens doors and truly blesses your husband for his integrity!

• Like 1

It's strange because we are actually going on vacation in 10 days, but the vacation is already paid for and we can't get our money back at this point. It feels so weird to be going on vacation when we're basically losing our job. 

We had that happen before!  It felt so awkward and I felt the need to explain to random people that it was already paid for.

:grouphug:

Vacations are good for the soul - especially those that are already paid for.

Can you continue to look for jobs but also double/triple marketing efforts to gain more clients for your business?

I don't know how many other clients you would have to gain to make it up but perhaps it can be done but probably not in a span of a couple of months.

Praying for a restful vacation and doors to open.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Fingers crossed that your DH makes an amazing contact while on vacation! You never know where they might turn up. Mine met a potential employer a couple weeks ago at the airport when he and the other guy were the only ones laughing at the comedy of errors of a gate change 4 (four!) times in the span of an hour, while all the other passengers were grumbling. They got talking and the guy asked for DH's number and gave DH his right then and there.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. We were where you are with two year old twins. People kept saying, "Did you know that the Chinese word for 'opportunity' and crisis is the same?" Boy, that bugged me.

But in retrospect, my dh losing his job catapulted our family into a wonderful new life. It took over six months. (The wonderful life thing happened about two years after he got the new job at six months.)

My point: Hang in there.

Also, are you willing to move? Is he looking for jobs in other states on Indeed.com?

Alley

I'm so sorry. We were where you are with two year old twins. People kept saying, "Did you know that the Chinese word for 'opportunity' and crisis is the same?" Boy, that bugged me.

But in retrospect, my dh losing his job catapulted our family into a wonderful new life. It took over six months. (The wonderful life thing happened about two years after he got the new job at six months.)

My point: Hang in there.

Also, are you willing to move? Is he looking for jobs in other states on Indeed.com?

Alley

Yes! We found the job we are moving to on Indeed. Being willing to relocate is absolutely key unless you're in a hot market. It's stressful right now (two weeks to get a ridiculous volume of things done) but it's a good change.

Mwahahaha!  I would have asked, "What's the word for assault?"

• Like 1