Menu

How do you like your steak?

creekland

How do you like your steak? - Assuming dark meat steaks.  

179 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your steak? (Pick as many as you like.)

• Raw (tartare or similar)
    • Rare
    • Medium rare
    • Medium
    • Medium well
    • Well done
    • I don't like steak
  2. 2. What's your favorite way to eat steak? (One choice)

• Raw (tartare or similar)
    • Rare
    • Medium rare
    • Medium
    • Medium well
    • Well done
    • I don't like steak

Just curious how the Hive feels when ordering steak.  Beef, lamb, or venison are on my mind - probably in that order with our culture.  If only one applies for "liking" the meat, only use that one - not the "don't like it" option.  

For the first question, pick as many as you like (truly like - not "can" eat it, but don't care for it).  For the second choice, pick your all-time favorite (for your favorite selection of meat).

It's an anonymous poll, so no worries about being connected to your answer.

For me, anything from raw to medium works in the "I like it" category with rare being my favorite for the second question.  Anything over medium has all the flavor/texture cooked out and I'd just as soon eat something else.  I can eat it to be polite if I absolutely have to, but that's it.  (I didn't choose those options in the first question.)

The older I get, the less cooked I want my steak. I've just recently begun ordering it medium rare and love it!

Seared on the outside, red and hot on the inside. I can just hear my (deceased) father in law saying, 'I've seen cattle hurt that bad get better' with his snarky grin.

• Like 4

I rarely eat red meat any more and when I do, it's typically at a family restaurant or cookout. I ask for medium rare because then I'll get it medium. Unless it's a special occasion and we're going to a high-end steakhouse, and then I'll ask for medium because they won't overcook it. Hint of pink, please!

• Like 2

I prefer it to be somewhere between medium well and well done.  I call it just done.  A little bit of pink is ok, but but would rather have no pink than too much.

I'm the total opposite. I'll eat it rarer than I like but not overcooked and tough.

• Like 3

The older I get, the less cooked I want my steak. I've just recently begun ordering it medium rare and love it!

Seared on the outside, red and hot on the inside. I can just hear my (deceased) father in law saying, 'I've seen cattle hurt that bad get better' with his snarky grin.

I was raised on steak being cooked medium or medium well.  It wasn't until I read an article stating medium rare was the "ideal" way to have a steak cooked that I figured out anyone ordered theirs differently.  Then, of course, I had to try it being young and rebellious at the time.  I fell in LOVE with the flavor that had been missing before.  For me, there was no going back, but I have progressed to ordering it rare most of the time after my youngest son suggested it (and that often comes medium rare anyway).

So... not only was I converted, I later corrupted hubby (who had been raised on VERY well done steak).  One taste had him change his mind too even though he went into it thinking he wouldn't like it.  Our boys were raised with medium rare, and still prefer it that way (or rare for youngest).

I grew up with beef being cooked to dried out shoe leather.

my grandmother made denigrating comments about her brother-in-law and his "rare" steak being cooked until is was bloody/juices flowing (um, that's not rare :glare:.)

I like a good rare steak.  dh took me to a steakhouse in cattle country -   if you order a well-done piece of meat, they'll give you a lower grade piece of meat because you can't taste the difference anyway.

I love how ruth's chris steakhouse prepares my rare filet. perfect. :001_wub: . . they also include definitions of what each state means on their menu.

dh - overcooks my meat.  :toetap05:  always.  he thinks it's rare.  it's not. it's medium rare at best.  I tolerate it.  it's ok, but not my first choice.

• Like 3

yep.  put a band-aid on it and it will live.

I like my beef steak very rare and bloody. I don't really like venison, except in roasts and stews. I like my lamb medium rare.

I tell them I like my cow still mooing :p

Edited by Arctic Mama

Very, very dead. Well done. Not the slightest hint of pink. It's a texture thing. I can tell if it isn't well done even if I didn't see the pink. It gags me.

When dh and I were dating he decided to cook out for my mom and brother and niece (they were the extent of my little family). He asked my brother how he liked his steak. Brother said medium-rare. He asked my mom how she liked it. Mom said medium-rare. Dh looked at her questioningly and she immediately understood. She laughed and said, "Yeah, I don't know where Kathy gets it. Not from me." She always though it was awful that I ate well done steak.

• Like 3

I grew up eating dried up over cooked meats, mostly chicken/beef/pork chops.

My BFF would walk a steak through a warm room and consider it overdone. (She also likes dry red wine, I prefer sweet grape juicey tasting wine) :lol:

I now prefer medium well, no red or not bloody. But I can eat a steak if it's well done, but not rare.

I like steak a little pink on the inside. We cook our own--I honestly can't remember the last time I ordered it, but if I do, I describe "a little pink" rather than give them a label because restaurants interpret "medium" or "medium rare" differently. I think "a little pink" is medium, but some think it's medium-well.

I like raw fish better than cooked, and raw beef is pretty good, too.  I am, at heart, a fierce barbarian I guess, LOL.

But my favorite steak is medium rare, with a nice French sauce of some sort on it. 

I like lamb the same way, medium rare.

No idea about venison.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Now I want a steak. DH makes amazing steaks, juicy and peppery and sometimes with mushrooms on them.

DH likes his still mooing (he used to get annoyed when we lived in MD because they wouldn't cook his steaks very rare; up here, he can get a good rare steak in a restaurant). I can't make myself eat raw, and I like mine cooked a little more than dh does, so I'm going to say medium rare. I can do medium too and could probably manage medium well, but my favorite is probably medium rare.

• Like 1

The last few times I have ordered steak it was not made correctly (seriously, Cracker Barrel. Get it together) or I had a bad experience because of my ignorance (I did NOT know that prime rib was something cooked in a gravy BLECH). Medium rare rib eye for me, thanks. Dh does not like steak so I don't really go to steakhouses and have told him that I really shouldn't bother unless we go to one.

Now I want a steak. DH makes amazing steaks, juicy and peppery and sometimes with mushrooms on them.

We are having grilled steaks with mushrooms tonight.  ;)  Hopefully mine will be medium rare.  Hubby will be cooking them, so I can't complain no matter how they are done, but since he no longer likes his well done I know he'll be trying to get it right.  More rare is better than more well done.

• Like 1

The last few times I have ordered steak it was not made correctly (seriously, Cracker Barrel. Get it together) or I had a bad experience because of my ignorance (I did NOT know that prime rib was something cooked in a gravy BLECH). Medium rare rib eye for me, thanks. Dh does not like steak so I don't really go to steakhouses and have told him that I really shouldn't bother unless we go to one.

Good prime rib is not cooked in a gravy. Gross!

• Like 6

I like medium rare. 

But I used to like it more medium to well-done.  I still remember being chided by the parents of a high school friends of mine when they were grilling steaks for dinner and, when they asked how I liked it, I said "medium to well, please."  They made comments about "waste of a good steak" and such.  Made me so uncomfortable.  I wanted to say "why'd you ask, then? You should have cooked it the way you wanted it."  I do remember I ate every bite of that steak, and never had dinner at that house again!    :lol:  :lol:

Slap it on the a$$ as it walks by. ;)

Dh likes his a little more cooked. Maybe rare but woth a warm center? Restaurants always overcook mine or give the more rare steak to dh...so much that we rarely eat it out anymore. Easier to cook it at home.

• Like 1

Husband (Texan) has a theory that some people don't like grass-fed beef (apart from the stronger taste) because they like their steaks well done, and that tends to make grass-fed beef tougher than feed-lot beef.  He thinks the difference is the amount of exercise that the cattle get as well as the diet.  I've no idea if the theory stands up.  His father's main aim in a steak was that it be tender (rather than full of flavour) and he was a well-done steak man, so it may well be a sample-of-one theory.

But I used to like it more medium to well-done.  I still remember being chided by the parents of a high school friends of mine when they were grilling steaks for dinner and, when they asked how I liked it, I said "medium to well, please."  They made comments about "waste of a good steak" and such.  Made me so uncomfortable.  I wanted to say "why'd you ask, then? You should have cooked it the way you wanted it."  I do remember I ate every bite of that steak, and never had dinner at that house again!    :lol:  :lol:

That sort of thing has probably happened at one time to everyone who likes well done steak. It's frustrating. 

1. Don't tell me what I like or don't like or should like or how I don't know what I'm missing (trust me I know exactly what I'm missing, I tried).

2. Don't ask me how I want something cooked and then ridicule my choice.

Husband (Texan) has a theory that some people don't like grass-fed beef (apart from the stronger taste) because they like their steaks well done, and that tends to make grass-fed beef tougher than feed-lot beef.  He thinks the difference is the amount of exercise that the cattle get as well as the diet.  I've no idea if the theory stands up.  His father's main aim in a steak was that it be tender (rather than full of flavour) and he was a well-done steak man, so it may well be a sample-of-one theory.

I've had well done steak that's melt-in-your-mouth tender and flavorful. Of course it's costs quite a bit and I'm not that fond of red meat, so it's something I enjoy only now and then.

• Like 2

I like medium rare. 

I think this is true in any household that is "certain" their way is the right way.  I can't remember if we were still dating or newly married, but hubby and I went to his parent's cottage and they were grilling steaks.  I was asked how I wanted mine and said, "medium rare."  That was instantly met by raised eyebrows and a few comments about how unhealthy and unnatural that was.  I never got it medium rare.  When hubby brought them in he apologized to me and told me his dad just wouldn't cook it that way.  It was well done and tasted like crap for those of us who like a medium rare flavor.  I was definitely NOT a happy camper and it didn't start relations off very well between me and the in-laws.  I was socialized enough not to comment to them, but hubby heard all about it.  He tried to make sure they never did steak again when I was there.  

Considerably later in our marriage they did steak, but then there was another DIL who also liked hers nice and red and my hubby had converted.  Our hubbies were doing the cooking and we got them the way we liked them (as did his parents and BIL who all still preferred well done).  His mom complained about "the look" of ours.  His dad didn't say anything.  We've never done steak there again.  Sometimes it's better that way when cultures clash.

• Like 1

Medium at a less good restaurant, medium well at a really nice restaurant (I find these are about the same thing - the nicer the place, the more rare they go in their scale). I'll eat it a little more rare, but I don't like it so much.

For a burger, I want it without much pink at all if any. Still juicy, maybe a hint of pink, but not "medium" and definitely not medium rare or anything above.

I think this is true in any household that is "certain" their way is the right way.  I can't remember if we were still dating or newly married, but hubby and I went to his parent's cottage and they were grilling steaks.  I was asked how I wanted mine and said, "medium rare."  That was instantly met by raised eyebrows and a few comments about how unhealthy and unnatural that was.  I never got it medium rare.  When hubby brought them in he apologized to me and told me his dad just wouldn't cook it that way.  It was well done and tasted like crap for those of us who like a medium rare flavor.  I was definitely NOT a happy camper and it didn't start relations off very well between me and the in-laws.  I was socialized enough not to comment to them, but hubby heard all about it.  He tried to make sure they never did steak again when I was there.  

Considerably later in our marriage they did steak, but then there was another DIL who also liked hers nice and red and my hubby had converted.  Our hubbies were doing the cooking and we got them the way we liked them (as did his parents and BIL who all still preferred well done).  His mom complained about "the look" of ours.  His dad didn't say anything.  We've never done steak there again.  Sometimes it's better that way when cultures clash.

I really lucked out with the in-laws I got. FIL used to grill steaks often. It was the standard fare whenever there was a family gathering (other than holidays) at their house. When I first went there when dh and I were dating, FIL asked how I liked my steak. He looked a bit taken aback when I said well done - I don't think he ever met anyone who doesn't like ANY PINK in their steak - but did his best to honor my request. Once he figured out how to cook my steaks, whenever we had one of those gatherings he would put a piece of steak on the grill for me earlier than the rest. He figured out the right amount of time needed to get my steak done the way I like it, everyone else's the way they like it, and have them all come off the grill at the same time. He's probably the only person, including those in my own foo, who hasn't at one time or another ridiculed me for liking well done steak.

• Like 2

I never make steaks for company because it would drive me nuts to make mine on the rare side of medium rare and then set it aside while waiting for the others to get to various more done levels.

What I do is make a big flank steak, and slice it across the grain from the outside to the thickest part of the inside.  That way there are pieces that range from pink to grey and everyone can have just what he likes.  Either marinated in red wine, or steak au poivre vert are my go to's.

I never make steaks for company because it would drive me nuts to make mine on the rare side of medium rare and then set it aside while waiting for the others to get to various more done levels.

When hubby makes them for various levels of doneness, he starts the most well done ones first and adds the rarer ones last.  That way they are all done at the same time.  When he's at his best, everything comes out perfectly.  We don't do them often, so sometimes he gets rusty.  I don't mind that much (esp in my older years) as I like the fact that he does the cooking!  ;)

• Like 3

When hubby makes them for various levels of doneness, he starts the most well done ones first and adds the rarer ones last.  That way they are all done at the same time.  When he's at his best, everything comes out perfectly.  We don't do them often, so sometimes he gets rusty.  I don't mind that much (esp in my older years) as I like the fact that he does the cooking!   ;)

Just following up the morning after... all steaks came out perfectly (as did the mushrooms) making a meal that was loved by all.  ;)

I'll admit to washing the mushrooms and getting summer squash cleaned/sliced/cooked as a side.  Then we added dinner Potato Rolls and Cheese Curd.  Quite tasty and easy.