Menu

Roller coasters!

lewber

DS loves roller coasters and we happen to be traveling by a theme park today with awesome coasters and time to stop. I haven't ridden a big coaster in about 25 years and have also since developed a pretty good case of anxiety about a whole host of things:)

He's willing to ride them himself, but, I hate to not do things just out of fear. Is there any real danger for a slightly overweight- not in the best shape but no known medical issues- almost 50 year old woman riding a roller coaster?

• Like 1

I'll speak for myself.  I used to LOVE roller coasters.  A couple years ago, my kids and I went on an old rickety one (very steep) which I had ridden about 100 times as a kid.  Well let's just say I only did that once!  My heart was pounding, and my neck was flung around.  I did not like it, and it made me a little afraid that I was now too old.  I was probably 48 at the time.  (We had been on Disney's Everest a couple years before that, but modern coasters are smoother.)

I have been on other, relatively milder ones since then, but I will leave the really high thrill ones for younger people.  :)

• Like 2

DS loves roller coasters and we happen to be traveling by a theme park today with awesome coasters and time to stop. I haven't ridden a big coaster in about 25 years and have also since developed a pretty good case of anxiety about a whole host of things:)

He's willing to ride them himself, but, I hate to not do things just out of fear. Is there any real danger for a slightly overweight- not in the best shape but no known medical issues- almost 50 year old woman riding a roller coaster?

I would say yes. Neck and head injuries from roller coasters are A commons thing. The state agencies overseeing the rides are dismal at best, and those injuries don't seem to factor in to state licensing for theme parks. My longtime doctor discussed this with me years ago and does not let his kids ride them. After seeing the studies he showed me I don't either. I wouldn't stop a teen, but I don't let my kids when they're young and I won't ride them either. Whiplash and vertebra injuries are a very real thing. And depending on the ride other head injuries as well.

I would do more research if you're on the fence. Go to Google Scholar and look up roller coaster injuries or theme park injuries and see what pops up. I would do it for you, but I'm on my phone and it's hard to read studies and link up.

No advice here; I can only say that the last time I rode a big roller coaster was about 8 years ago, when I was 53 and 20# overweight.  It was just tall and steep, it didn't go upside down or backwards - I've never ridden one of those. Anyway, I was terrified, much more so than on coasters when I was  younger.  But I emerged unscathed; just a little shaky.

And that was the end of it for me.  Never ridden again, happy I never have to.  

If I was inclined to ride one, the theme park might make a difference.  A rundown place, forget it.  Someplace really well kept up, like Hershey, would probably give me  more confidence that at least the thing wasn't going to break down. 

(Now that I've said that, someone will probably link to a problem at Hershey.  I'm not endorsing it.  Just, from my experience, that is a well-kept theme park.)

We went Disneyland a few years ago. We skip the rides that has the >48" height limits even though my oldest was already tall enough because he didn't want to. We have a great time on those with no or lower height limits.

I did feel a little dizzy when getting off the fast ones and so did my kids. My kids preferred the bobsled ride compared to the roller coaster rides while we were there so we did a lot more bobsleds.

Make sure you remember to look up statistics on car injuries before you go. Of course you won't be eating out in case of food-borne illness. Hey, lest you forget, hepatitis C can live outside of the body for up to 3 weeks. Life is risky, go on the damned coaster or stay in the house and hope nothing falls on it, or sets it on fire, or gets it wet somewhere in the wall and grows mold.

And yes, I am aware of the 4000 reported injuries sustained at theme/water parks every year. Yes, I've seen the videos of animals flying in faces and cables hitting people. Yes, I've seen the videos - mostly from other countries - of things going really wrong. I was an emt for a few years, so I can also tell you all about the random injuries people incur everywhere. I am not uninformed. Which is why I will absolutely avoid certain slides water parks ;)

• Like 4

This is where I get crazy! I know there are risks everywhere. It's my downfall. Live life and all of that, but then I think is this worth dying for?!? It's all totally irrational- hence the anxiety issue!

It's carowinds in charlotte. I did a quick google search and nothing too alarming came up other than a huge roller coaster stopping a few years ago on top.

Make sure you remember to look up statistics on car injuries before you go. Of course you won't be eating out in case of food-borne illness. Hey, lest you forget, hepatitis C can live outside of the body for up to 3 weeks. Life is risky, go on the damned coaster or stay in the house and hope nothing falls on it, or sets it on fire, or gets it wet somewhere in the wall and grows mold.

And yes, I am aware of the 4000 reported injuries sustained at theme/water parks every year. Yes, I've seen the videos of animals flying in faces and cables hitting people. Yes, I've seen the videos - mostly from other countries - of things going really wrong. I was an emt for a few years, so I can also tell you all about the random injuries people incur everywhere. I am not uninformed. Which is why I will absolutely avoid certain slides water parks ;)

Did you love them or have any problems with them 25 years ago?  If you didn't like them so much then, then I don't think you'll like it now either.

But, if you loved them then, you might still love it!  I rode one recently at age 53 with my dd, and had so much fun, I did it again.  :)  It felt exactly the same as it always did!  (And yes, I have always loved them.)

If you really don't want to go on it, then that's fine too. Just accept that decision and tell your ds you'll go on other more leisurely rides with him instead.  He'll be fine.

• Like 2

I don't think there's any shame in people enjoying different leisure activities than one another.

It's good modeling to say to a kid, "This is a thing I like to do, and this is a thing I don't like to do. I'm going to spend my time doing things I like, and skip things I don't enjoy. You have fun!"

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

Is he willing as in "sigh, OK mom, I'll go alone if you won't go." or willing as in "yay, I'm going, whether you go  or not, see ya bye!"

I'd push through my fear if it was going to be a big disappointment to my kid if I didn't go. But, if the kid didn't care, and I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't do it.

My older kid loves thrill rides but doesn't like to ride alone.  So my husband or I would go with him, till our  younger decided she liked them too.  Our last trip, the kids rode together and my husband and I got to watch.

Some people are happy enough to ride alone; if that's the case, I'd skip it and let him ride to his heart's content.  

:-)

I went on a few roller coasters when I was a teenager.  Class trips to Great Adventure were a common thing.  I haven't been able to do them in years and have been known to stand on-line and bail out at some point.   :tongue_smilie:

I'm not worried about my kids at all.  Youngest dd likes the smaller kid-size roller coasters, ds doesn't like any rides that he can't control the movement (so those cars with the bars that you can make go up and down, or the things that you control the spin).  We took them on Mission:Space in Disney last year.  The "mild" side and they both screamed and were in hysterics the entire time.  Even understanding that it wasn't real, we weren't really going anywhere, to say they hated it is an understatement.

Carowinds is about 20 minutes from me and we have season passes. But Im a baby lol. I dont mind the wooden coasters, but I have a fear of heights so any coaster with a steep first hill is way out of my comfort zone. Just looking at The Fury at Carowinds makes my legs feel wobbly! DH loves them and is happy to ride alone.

Edited by tdbates78

I'm not a roller coaster rider, but DH (56) is. He's overweight and has high blood pressure and a slightly higher than normal heart rate. He's medicated for both. For the past ten years or so his issues have been with getting dizzy/vertigo from riding coasters and feeling a bit sore and beat up from the wooden ones. His solution has been to avoid the wooden coasters and to take the less drowsy version of Bonine (generic) before riding. It seems to work for him.

I'm a huge fan of roller coasters but, I'm sad to say, I gave up on anything that goes upside down in my 20s.  It had become more scary than exciting for me.

Anything that remains upright? I'm all over it.  Not all of my kids are that adventurous though, lol.

Thanks for all the stories! He's more than happy to ride them alone- says the wait is shorter for singles too. I will not ride the fury! I'm sure I'll have a panic attack just watching him. I'm hoping there is something we can ride together though.

I would have no problem riding coasters at Carowinds. There are a few I prefer to stay away from now, due to medical issues, but I ride most of them. I'm mid-40s.

Can you start with the easier ones, and work your way up? If you don't like one, send him to the next, bigger one alone. Just wait at the end for him and enjoy his adrenaline rush!

I am 48 and I have no problem riding roller coasters.  I don't get super-excited about them like I did when I was younger, but I still go on them and have fun.  I have no problem going upside down, etc. That being said, I will only go on ones that are smooth (like the ones at Disney-- Rock 'n Roller Coaster is my favorite and I love Expedition Everest too).  If the roller coaster is all jerky and I feel like I am going to get bruised from the ride, I'll skip it.  

I would have no problem doing the roller coaster at Carowinds unless they are particularly jerky.

I have always loved roller coasters. As a teen/young adult, I would ride anything. My kids aren't amusement park kids though, so until recently I hadn't had the opportunity.

A few weeks ago, I went to Kings Island and road two roller coasters. One was an old, wooden coaster that I had ridden as a kid many, many times. The other was a sleek, new coaster with a giant drop that takes your breath away. As a 41 year old woman, I hated the wooden coaster but loved the new, "scarier" coaster. I realized that my neck and back just can't take wooden coasters anymore, and I spent that entire ride worrying that I was going to have something seriously out of alignment by the end of the ride. The newer ride, while terrifying, was also fun and I would ride it again in a heartbeat.

Have to say I don't remember my parents ever going on roller coasters with us kids.  And we lived in easy driving distance of Cedar Point, the rollercoaster capital of the world.  It's fine to send your kids on any rides you don't want to go on.  If they are big enough to meet the height restrictions, they are old enough to do it alone.  :)

I enjoyed them as a kid, but I don't enjoy anything more exciting than, say, Big Thunder Mountain, now. But the rides at most amusement parks are all incredibly tall and intense these days and I can't do them. And I'm okay with not pushing myself to do something that makes me miserable. I bring a book to the amusement parks and just ride a few things - the twisty, low rides and the "river" ride and things like that.

Now, water rides on the other hand... I'll ride nearly any water ride.

Thanks for all the stories! He's more than happy to ride them alone- says the wait is shorter for singles too. I will not ride the fury! I'm sure I'll have a panic attack just watching him. I'm hoping there is something we can ride together though.

There is a wooden roller coaster in the kids area, Planet Snoopy, that is surprisingly fun. Its called the Woodstock Express. Its not overly large, still manages to have some thrills, and plenty of adults ride it without kids. May be a good compromise if you want to ride one with your son. Have a great time!

I used to love roller coasters in my 20s and 30s. I rode one (that I had ridden before in my mid 40s with my older kids and didn't enjoy it. I felt battered and bruised when I got off. The next morning, my back hurt and I couldn't move my neck. It took 6 weeks to get my neck functioning well enough to drive. These days, I find other ways to get my thrills.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My sister and I both have anxiety but enjoy roller coasters. That being said, I would still hesitate for certain ones. I do not like really steep ones and I had to get past the initial drop to enjoy Goliath at Six Flags in CA. I learned the hard way with a few rides... ugh the Superman one that goes super fast just gave me a headache. And Viper shook my head around and I clunked the sides where they pull the handles down. So anything designed like those I would avoid personally.

And I'm thinking that as I get older I will hesitate more about which things I am willing to ride. I'm in my 30s. Dh won't ride roller coasters because he's so tall and it's too dangerous the way some are set up. He thought he and his dad were gonna lose their heads on one. I am glad your son can ride alone and will get a shorter line.

I've also always LOVED coasters. Like many others have written, my body doesn't love them as much as it used to. I definitely can't do jerky wooden coasters anymore. We took the kids to Magic Mountain a few years ago, and there were a few coasters that I would never ride again. However, I still love smooth, non-jerky coasters, even some that go upside down.

I'm not afraid for my safety at all. I'm more likely to die driving to the amusement park than I am on a ride.

But for the OP, do what you want. There's really never a compelling reason to force yourself on a coaster. If your son goes on as a single rider, he'll probably get through the line more quickly, so that's a bonus. Hand him a churro when he gets off and you'll be his hero.

My sister and I both have anxiety but enjoy roller coasters. That being said, I would still hesitate for certain ones. I do not like really steep ones and I had to get past the initial drop to enjoy Goliath at Six Flags in CA. I learned the hard way with a few rides... ugh the Superman one that goes super fast just gave me a headache. And Viper shook my head around and I clunked the sides where they pull the handles down. So anything designed like those I would avoid personally.

And I'm thinking that as I get older I will hesitate more about which things I am willing to ride. I'm in my 30s. Dh won't ride roller coasters because he's so tall and it's too dangerous the way some are set up. He thought he and his dad were gonna lose their heads on one. I am glad your son can ride alone and will get a shorter line.

Goliath is a great coaster. That was my favorite from our trip. It's smooth as butter, but makes your heart drop into your stomach. I think we rode it 4 or 5 times. I did ok on Viper. Apocalypse and X2 were awful.

I've also always LOVED coasters. Like many others have written, my body doesn't love them as much as it used to. I definitely can't do jerky wooden coasters anymore. We took the kids to Magic Mountain a few years ago, and there were a few coasters that I would never ride again. However, I still love smooth, non-jerky coasters, even some that go upside down.

I'm not afraid for my safety at all. I'm more likely to die driving to the amusement park than I am on a ride.

But for the OP, do what you want. There's really never a compelling reason to force yourself on a coaster. If your son goes on as a single rider, he'll probably get through the line more quickly, so that's a bonus. Hand him a churro when he gets off and you'll be his hero.

Lol I told myself I was DONE with Colossus there! Felt like the ride was going to break. I just googled it and it looks like they updated it and added steel and renamed it Twisted Colossus.

Goliath is a great coaster. That was my favorite from our trip. It's smooth as butter, but makes your heart drop into your stomach. I think we rode it 4 or 5 times. I did ok on Viper. Apocalypse and X2 were awful.

Good to know. I think it was "X" (without the 2) that I rode and enjoyed. I haven't been in a number of years but grew up near the park before I was really able to appreciate it.

Well my wife is a little older than you are and she has Vertigo.  It had never occurred to me, until we were about to board the first coaster, in Universal Orlando, that DD had Coasters on her list of things to do in the parks.  After we got off the first one, my wife said that she thought she was going to die during that ride.  to her favor, she did ride other Coasters, in Universal Orlando and in Walt Disney World that week.  They were really pretty mild I think, but I am not an expert about Coasters.  However, here in Colombia, there is a National Park of Coffee.  For many years, they have had a Coaster that I think I could go on, without issues.  Now, they have a new Coaster, a 2nd one that from the videos I have watched, I would not attempt. It is approximately 60 seconds. It is called The Crater.  I will see if I can get a video for you, which will be in Spanish, but you will get the idea. There is an Elevator Drop ride in Hollywood Studios that DD was going to go on and my wife and I went in the line with her, but DD decided not to go on that. It is in a Hotel like place there...  Enjoy your trip!

I'm almost 55 and and a fat cow (gotta smoosh my boobies to be strapped in ), and I get on the baddest coasters I can, whenever I can.  But hubby has noticed that he can't take the bad ones anymore  - something about his brain and stomach rattling around and making him nauseous.  Maybe there is some danger, but what a way to go out...

ETA:  I do not ride jerky roller coasters and didn't when I was younger; they are no fun for me.  But I really like the upside down ones like Alpengeist at Busch Gardens.

Edited by reefgazer

I too have noticed my tolerance dwindling as I've gotten older. Im 38 and have always beem scated of heights, but now its other things that bother me. The dizziness/motiin sickness, body aches and pains from being jerked around. Every time I get on a bigger roller coaster (which isnt often) I'm quickly reminded of my age!

I used to go on ALL of them.  Now I am selective.

I will go on ALL of the Disney roller coasters at WDW and DL.  There are no problems there.  I will ride Rockin' Roller Coaster over and over again.

And I will do most of the Universal stuff.  I won't do that Rocket one and I haven't done the dueling dragons.  But I have gone on the rest.

But the ones that hang upside down for a while over concrete?  NOPE!  

I did one at Dollywood and have emotional scars!  hahahaha!

• Like 1