Menu

What are your college kids doing this summer?

J-rap

I thought it would be fun to hear what everyone is up to!

This is the first summer in years that I've had only one college student.  She was offered a month-long (paid) graphic design internship (one of her two majors) at her university working on a book about the history of her school.  She's really thrilled to be doing this!  She is living at her grandparents' home during the internship.  They live in the same city her school is in.  She loves hanging out with my parents...  Today she and her grandpa saw a Laurel and Hardy movie together at the nearby indy theater!

After that, she'll come home (several hours away) for the remainder of the summer and work full-time at the local espresso shop, which also now supplies food for the new brewery which just opened across the street from it.  It will be great having her home.  We have all sorts of plans!  I may find some graphic design projects for her to do that she can put on her resume.   ;)

She's meeting up with one of her sisters for a few days in NYC later in the summer, for fun.

• Like 6

Middle son is enjoying time at home, with both sets of grandparents, and will have some weeks teaching at a juggling camp.

Youngest son is working at a camp - mostly for inner city kids - in FL, exposing them to nature and other fun things.

Both are quite happy with their choices (both are getting paid too).

• Like 5

One is soon to leave to work at a camp for the summer.  Her twin sister is supposedly looking for a part time job, but mostly finding reasons to spend most of her time with her boyfriend..lol.  My recent community college graduate is working at two libraries until July, and then will begin a job search for a full time grown up job.  

• Like 6

Our music major has a church job in her college town that continues over the summer, so she will be away almost all weekends. She will be attending multiple music conventions/conferences/camps, but otherwise she will be home or away on vacation with us! :-) We're thankful she will be around that much.

• Like 5

My oldest just graduated on the 12th and starts full-time work tomorrow! It is so weird to think that she isn't a college kid anymore.

My middle is a grad student and is spending the summer walking across the country with a pro-life group.

Edited by Tania
  • Like 5

My college student is at an REU.  My 18 yod is going crazy along with the rest of us as we get ready to move across the country.  We leave next week for her orientation, and when we do, we won't be coming back here again.   Once we get settled in our new location, we are going to just enjoy our last few weeks together before she heads off to college.

• Like 7

Middle son is enjoying time at home, with both sets of grandparents, and will have some weeks teaching at a juggling camp.

Youngest son is working at a camp - mostly for inner city kids - in FL, exposing them to nature and other fun things.

Both are quite happy with their choices (both are getting paid too).

Oh wow!  A juggling camp!  My kids would have loved to have gone to that.  :)

• Like 3

My college student is at an REU.  My 18 yod is going crazy along with the rest of us as we get ready to move across the country.  We leave next week for her orientation, and when we do, we won't be coming back here again.   Once we get settled in our new location, we are going to just enjoy our last few weeks together before she heads off to college.

Sounds like you have a lot going on!  I had to look up REU to see what it meant.  :)

My ds that just finished his freshman year is working full time plus in a grocery distribution warehouse. He will make enough to pay his own expenses without working during the school year. He takes a lot of pride in carrying such a large load financially and it has made things much easier for our family.

He is interested in business and logistics so it is not without some career building value. It is also good life experience for him. He hopes to save enough money to stay at school next summer and work a job or internship more career oriented. So he is working and saving.

Oh...and he has a girlfriend he met at school that happens to live about 25 minutes away so he is having some fun too.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4

Paid internship with a management consulting firm. Only home in September for two weeks and two days, part of which will be taken up with gum surgery and subsequent recovery. :/

Well at least he has to come home for the surgery!  :)  Can I ask what his major is in?  

• Like 1

Sigh.  Ds is working 6 weeks of basketball camps.  We were all hoping he'd get an internship this summer (mech eng), but nothing panned out.  Sigh.  He'll be home for 2 weeks in July, part of which will be taken up with having all 4 wisdom teeth removed.  At least he'll have plenty of free time to recover before school starts up again in the fall.

• Like 3

What??? You're moving across the country? Did I miss something? Didn't your oldest with the grandkids just move closer to you?

Over 3 yrs ago. Ds and dh worked at the same site here. A recent corporate merger made them both unsure about the longevity of this site's viability and their careers. Both have new jobs, unfortunately 5 hrs apart. I am trying not to think about it bc when I do, I melt down. My granddaughter was here all day, every day. My youngest dd is heartbroken bc they are best friends. Add my 18 dd's health issues and her leaving for college in the fall, I'm pretty much a blubbering mess.

Over 3 yrs ago. Ds and dh worked at the same site here. A recent corporate merger made them both unsure about the longevity of this site's viability and their careers. Both have new jobs, unfortunately 5 hrs apart. I am trying not to think about it bc when I do, I melt down. My granddaughter was here all day, every day. My youngest dd is heartbroken bc they are best friends. Add my 18 dd's health issues and her leaving for college in the fall, I'm pretty much a blubbering mess.

Hugs, 8.

Corporate life is tough - no doubt about it.

• Like 3

Hugs. That is hard. Sending best wishes for you and your family. Where are you moving to?

• Like 2

One dd18 has a summer coop at the robotics lab at her university.  She's still doing training this week; not sure exactly what she'll be assigned to work on yet.

Other dd18 is in Europe.  She's spending some time with her friend in the NL, then she's going to Barcelona for a summer Spanish program (and hopes to pick up a good amount of CatalĂƒÂ¡n while she's at it - I think she's been studying that more than Spanish lately!)

dd16 has applied for a couple of jobs but nothing yet.  She's studying for her PreCalc CLEP (with some pressure from me to get.it.done.)  Very soon she starts an Art Appreciation course online at the CC, and when she's done with the CLEP, the plan is to have her start a Calc MOOC.  And we just agreed to host a 15yo Spanish exchange student for the month of July (apparently we're trading kids with Spain...).  

Busy summer!

• Like 7

My older just graduated and is looking for a job; one for eating money and also a permanent one.

My younger is at his U doing research. I'm not sure how its labeled (REU or intern with startup company), but he's learned a lot about research moving into startup phase and is very happy to use his Arduino and soldering skills.  As a side note; all his Arduino skill is an offshoot of his music interests.  He'll also be continuing to volunteer with the local Community Band, which plays at the level he enjoys playing at. May or may not do pit for hometown Community Theater in August as the pull for some time with his sib is strong.

The high school grad is spending her summer working through a health issue, boning up on traditional Chinese characters, and getting ready for her gap year in Taiwan!

The college grad will be moving to full time at her current job while applying for jobs and apprenticeships in her fields (English/theatre). She'll be moving home in August once her lease is up. She and a current roommate plan to live together in the future.

And our adult son (graduated 2 years ago) will be moving back to this coast in September! He'll be working remotely for his SV company, flying there (paid everything) one week a month. He'll be the second person in his group to work remotely. His girlfriend is here. They are excited to live in the same time zone again :lol:

• Like 5

Oh wow!  A juggling camp!  My kids would have loved to have gone to that.   :)

After all the "work" he's done every summer and throughout his schooling - then with med school looming - we told him to concentrate on having fun this summer.  The fact that it pays is a bonus.  ;)

Don't get me wrong, he's loved his previous summers researching, etc, but this just has a different element to it IYCWIM.

Sigh.  Ds is working 6 weeks of basketball camps.  We were all hoping he'd get an internship this summer (mech eng), but nothing panned out.  Sigh.  He'll be home for 2 weeks in July, part of which will be taken up with having all 4 wisdom teeth removed.  At least he'll have plenty of free time to recover before school starts up again in the fall.

I hope he enjoys the basketball camps and glad you get to see him for a little bit.

:grouphug:  I'm sorry.  I wish it could be different.  :grouphug:   Hopefully something better will come up soon and they can be at the same sites again.

• Like 3

My oldest graduated from college and went on a short overseas tour with her choir. Next month she is starting a full-time internship at a rehab facility for patients with combined neurological and medical problems that will take her through rest of the year.

My next DD got a spot in an all expenses paid science program (Woo hoo!) and after that she'll be a medic at a military related camp. She'll be lifeguarding again, but hopes to start working part-time in a nursing home because it's a job that she can continue beyond the summer. Depending on her score on the last SAT, she might have to find time prepping for another one.

Child number three is too young to work, but I have no doubt she will keep herself busy standing on my last nerve. Dd4 will take over when Dd3 needs a break. How's that for a great attitude?

• Like 5

Mine are both home for the summer. They are each taking one online class. Dd has a job and is working 50+ hours/week at a nearby waterpark. Ds looked briefly for a job and after not finding one, is instead catching up with his gaming group, his youtube channel and all his other interests. 

• Like 3

One dd18 has a summer coop at the robotics lab at her university. She's still doing training this week; not sure exactly what she'll be assigned to work on yet.

Mini-brag. ;) Dd just told me she did so well in training that she got first pick of projects to work on (out of 12 coop students in the program.) :)

• Like 13

Dd is currently working at the mall at the same store she's worked at for several summers/Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks.  Saturday she leaves for D.C. to intern at the Smithsonian for 8 weeks doing lighting for the American Art Museum.  

Edited to Add:  She's also taken over being the bill-payer of the house she and her friends live in at school, and is in charge of the subletters.  This has certainly been an educational experience already!

Edited by GailV
  • Like 7

My 19yo is staying on campus for a paid REU for all but three weeks.  She is spending two weeks at a math workshop at Berkeley and one week at a math workshop in Utah.  That's a lot of math for one summer, but she's excited for reasons I can't fathom.  She will be working on Ph.D. applications during her spare time.  The math workshops are both all-expenses-paid, including travel to and from.  One of them also comes with a paid trip to the joint meeting of professional math types in January in San Diego.  Somehow, I always envisioned math research as a lonely endeavor, but they're always jetting off for math play dates and such.

• Like 9

My dd is working a part-time job saving up spending money for school. She's not really happy with it though. It's the same job she had when she was 16 and I don't know why she thought it would be any better now than it was then. She's also not getting many hours. She can only work to July 22nd so she feels it's too late to get another job now and will just deal with it.

• Like 4

This is a sore subject with me. If I can discuss it without blowing a gasket, I'll respond more later. Grrr...

Okay, I'm going to try to calmly respond now...

When the boys were home on Christmas break, I told them REPEATEDLY that they needed to research possible summer internships and put in their applications, that it was *almost* getting too late already, that there's no time to lose, etc.  I mean, I even sat down with them at the computer, helped them with research, talked about it every day, etc.

As the spring semester started, I would remind them every single week when I talked with them on the phone.  I would ask them, "Have you put in any applications for internships yet?"  Every week, same answer, "Not yet. I'll get to it."

One of the boys really, really had his heart set on one particular internship possibility.  When I asked him about it in, oh, I dunno, April (?), he said that he was really upset because the deadline was in February and he missed it.

Duh.

SOOoooooo...

That's just a little snapshot of the frustration I dealt with over the past six months with them.  They basically sat on their asses and missed the boat.

So what are they doing this summer?  I shipped them off to live with my sister.  We live in the absolute boonies and there is *nothing* for them to do here over the summer.  So my sister was going to try to find them unofficial internships with the city she lives in.

Lo and behold, the city she lives in doesn't have paid positions, but they can take them as volunteers.  Okay, that sounded fine.  Better than nothing.

Then come to find out that the volunteer positions have *nothing* to do with their majors.

SOOOOOoooo...

They are spending their summers living at their aunt's house doing unpaid volunteer work that has nothing to do with their majors.  All because they sat on their asses instead of getting their ducks in a row.

And I am livid.

All I can hope for at this point is that they learned a valuable life lesson in all this.  They will be seniors this coming year, and they blew their opportunity to get major-related employment/volunteerism on their resumes.  They will (hopefully) graduate in a year, and I have no idea how they will procure employment post-graduation with weak resumes, so-so academic records, and no drive.

Phew.  Got that off my chest.  Let's just say mama ain't happy, and they're probably better off being with their aunt this summer rather than face my wrath.

Oh, and my third college boy (my rising sophomore) went back to the same summer job that he's had since he was 14 years old.  This is his sixth summer working at that summer camp.  At least he has something going on.

Kinsa, this is pretty much the scenario I have with my boys. To be fair, ds1 was accepted to his summer program but due to his hospitalization was unable to actually go, hence the live at home coaching job like previous summers.

The worries about actual real employment are staggering at 3 am.

• Like 2

(((Hugs))), Kinsa.   I would be livid, too.

I hyperventilate when I think about (the effect of no major related internship on) getting a job post graduation.  I sought/enjoyed a 5yr co-op program as an undergrad.  I hate hate hate, actually detest, looking/interviewing for a job.  In fact, I've never had a full-time job that I didn't get through school.  1 from undergrad and 1 from grad (still have it 28 years later).  Ds has heard me say many times, "The goal is for you to be self-supporting".

• Like 2

Kinsa, what I've learned is that kids really, really range in their brain understanding on how to do this.  Some kids truly just don't get it yet at that age.  Our generation (as parents) have come to believe that this should be so obvious now to our college kids.  And to some of my kids, it has been.  But to others, it truly just was not.  I really have no doubt that my dd will get there eventually, in her own time.  I don't know.  Her brain is just maturing at a way different rate than most of her siblings.  :) 

Sometimes I even wonder how my late 20+ child would be making it in this world without me!  I know he'll get there eventually!

• Like 4

Mine is working more. The gym has various summer performance camps for high school athletes, so he gets to help the trainers with equipment and data entry. His normal evening cleaning and maintenance duties continue.

In between he's helping DH with various home projects and runs errands for me.

• Like 4

Almost-22yo son is working full-time at a campus-affiliated research lab; launching a website-design business with some friends; and recovering from knee surgery. He has finally wised up and is not taking summer classes this year. (I think a break from academics is good!)

20yo son is working at a Silicon Valley company. He is staying in Berkeley over the summer and has a commute of 1.5hĂ¢â‚¬â€œ2h each way, but the company runs free buses for employees w/WiFi, air con, & WC, plus he can nap on the way. He drove himself one day last week and quickly realized what a fantastic deal the free bus is! :laugh:  especially since he had no cash on hand for the bridge toll  :confused1:  :driving:

Another company perk is free food and drinks; my son hasn't told me about his project yet, haha, but he did excitedly tell me he made his first lattes.  :cheers2:

The boys took a one-week road trip together in May to visit friends and relatives in SoCal and AZ. My cousin and her husband have a ministry on an Indian reservation in AZ & 20yo son wanted to help out with that (unfortunately the Berkeley campus fellowship's mission trip to Greece to help w/refugees there didn't work with his summer job schedule); the boys had a good time bonding with relatives and each other (driving our car  :coolgleamA:  :driving: ). I'm thrilled they had that time together Ă¢â‚¬â€œ so rare, these days.

ETA: 20yo son is also taking the GRE this summer and applying to PhD CS programs. Busy summer!

And, I'm very grateful that both boys have full-time summer jobs in their field. It took older son until the summer before his senior year to find any job at all; he even considered going back to JCPenney, except they wanted him to work through Christmas (!). 

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 6

Therapy. As soon as I can find her a compatible therapist.

It's been the kind of year that when people say, "How was her first year of college?" I need to evaluate whether they want small talk or the truth before trying to answer.

Edited by JanetC
  • Like 2