Menu

What are your college kids doing this summer?

J-rap

Therapy. As soon as I can find her a compatible therapist.

It's been the kind of year that when people say, "How was her first year of college?" I need to evaluate whether they want small talk or the truth before trying to answer.

I'm glad she will be home so you can give her the help and support she needs!   :grouphug:

• Like 4

It's been the kind of year that when people say, "How was her first year of college?" I need to evaluate whether they want small talk or the truth before trying to answer.

Sending  :grouphug: prayers, and hopes from here.  I'm glad you're there for her.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Both daughters, 21 and 19, are college seniors. The older has an internship in her field and continuing work on a project with the lab for which she is an undergraduate research assistant. The younger's lab also invited her to continue her research throughout the summer. (Skype, Googledocs, Evernote, Gitlab, email. How things have changed since I was a college senior who remained on an all but empty campus to work my internship and continue my research project!) The younger is also working on the material for two of her more difficult Fall 2017 classes and preparing for a Fall 2017 gig as a computer science classroom assistant.

Both were planning to take an online summer course but have since (wisely, I think) cancelled their registration. Their schedules are already full.

• Like 9

The freshman is working at a REU at an out-of-state college. He enjoys the work and is having too much fun to talk to me. He went to the beach today. I've never been to the state he is in, and I didn't know it had a beach.

The recent college graduate is enjoying a summer of foreign travel to four continents before starting her post-college job far away from home.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is able to see a good therapist soon.

We had a life event that led me to have those same qestions when anyone asked "how are you?" In our case, the answer should have been obvious. A counselor friend shared a technique for determining if someone was seeking the truth or small talk that she called playing cards. So, when asked, "how are you?" I was to share a little something like "not good/strugling/trying to (whatever I was dealing with.)" The person could respond with something generic response /non-listening response or something that seemed like they wanted more info/to help/etc. Only if their response indicated they were listening/wanting more information, would I play another card/give more information. So, you could answer, "not what she expected/not the best" and then only give more information to those that seem looking for the truth and of those, only share the truth with those whom you want to share with.

I had quoted others, but the site was down when I hit reply. I am sorry for all of you who have students struggling with health issues as well as those who did not find the right job for the summer, It is hard to parent young adult, because the stakes are so high.

• Like 6

Oldest is in North Carolina in the IBM Extreme Blue program.

Middle is home and working as a grocery store cashier. She had no luck with an internship as a first-year, and she didn't want to continue her research position for the summer. After a grueling year at school, she is happy to spend the summer in an easy job. She has figured out how to game the metric they use to rank cashiers and is trying to beat the highest rating anyone has ever received before the summer is over. :D

• Like 7

Ds is doing math research at his university.

He is also making sure his dilapidated frat house does not fall apart completely, sort of like acting as a contractor, which he does year-round and loves to do. He is surprisingly good at managing building projects and unforeseen problems and recently received a $500 bonus for his work. A nice surprise!

In the rest of his time he plans to hang out with friends, eat well, run, sleep and just lollygag about.

• Like 6

All summer work plans are out the window.  Summer is now being spent treating and recovering from an illness that campus health should have been better about following/fixing and waiting for a broken arm to heal.  Sigh. The upside is lots of quality time with a kid that soon won't be home much.

:grouphug: I hope healing goes well from this point on.  That sounds frustrating!  :grouphug:

• Like 5

Over 3 yrs ago. Ds and dh worked at the same site here. A recent corporate merger made them both unsure about the longevity of this site's viability and their careers. Both have new jobs, unfortunately 5 hrs apart. I am trying not to think about it bc when I do, I melt down. My granddaughter was here all day, every day. My youngest dd is heartbroken bc they are best friends. Add my 18 dd's health issues and her leaving for college in the fall, I'm pretty much a blubbering mess.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I am so sorry, Eight.

• Like 1

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  They want small talk, unless they are a really good friend who genuinely cares about your child.

A good, compatible therapist is a major step. I hope you find one soon.

• Like 3

This is a video of what the Navy ROTC summer training in San Diego looked like.  Video by one of the mids, but not mine.  

ETA: It's been a roller coaster of a week.  Got the family all together again for a bit.  But I've also been watching the news of USS Fitzgerald.  We were stationed in Yokosuka for a couple years.  We know the base where the community has come together to feed the crew and workers each day, replace lost personal belongings and generally love on the crew.  I can all to easily imagine the events of the collision, having served on surface ships myself.  I remember night watches when I was on the bridge trying to make sense of radar and visual reports and anticipate what each contact was going to do over the next hour.  I remember waking up from a dead sleep to the sound of the general quarters alarm when there was a shipboard emergency.  I look at the names and faces of the crew who died after the collision and they are right around the age of my own kids.  

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 7

My only college student is taking a college class, working on health issues and preparing to leave for a semester abroad in New Zealand on July 5th (their winter session). The prep for her leaving is taking lots of time and has taken a lot of my time since spring. She is returning mid November and plans to either get a short term internship somewhere or volunteer at a STEAM place here in town that does 3D printing and teaches computer skills to young students. She also may get a Christmas job but that is tricky with her allergies. She is going to apply for internships for next summer.

My recent college graduate (Dec) has been hired as a technical writer contingent on her security clearance. She received notice yesterday that OPM is in fact doing it so we don't know exactly when she will get the job. Sometimes it can be a few months once they start or as much as six. Anyway, she and her husband will be moving here once she is actually working and they will live with us for a few months until he can get a job and they can sell their house and buy something here. They can't rent because her ILs who bought them the house don't want them too and since they want to get a house again, have to follow their wishes. We can't afford to buy them a house.They were kind of upset with both of them looking for jobs here but once they heard how much dd will probably be paid, they shut up.

• Like 4

This is a video of what the Navy ROTC summer training in San Diego looked like.  Video by one of the mids, but not mine.  

ETA: It's been a roller coaster of a week.  Got the family all together again for a bit.  But I've also been watching the news of USS Fitzgerald.  We were stationed in Yokosuka for a couple years.  We know the base where the community has come together to feed the crew and workers each day, replace lost personal belongings and generally love on the crew.  I can all to easily imagine the events of the collision, having served on surface ships myself.  I remember night watches when I was on the bridge trying to make sense of radar and visual reports and anticipate what each contact was going to do over the next hour.  I remember waking up from a dead sleep to the sound of the general quarters alarm when there was a shipboard emergency.  I look at the names and faces of the crew who died after the collision and they are right around the age of my own kids.  

Thank you for sharing the video. It is difficult not to think in terms of those crew members being sons, young sons, and perhaps a father or two in there.

This weekend, we are celebrating the commissioning of our oldest son's dear friend and neighbor that we have known from the time he was five. He is graduating from college with his engineering degree and is a Marine. I am so thrilled for him, but get teary-eyed when I think of the risks taken by those who serve our country. It makes me want G to be seven again, standing on top of the mailbox in his shorts, rubber boots, and holding a squirt gun.

• Like 6

Sailor Dude is spending his first summer in five years NOT sailing. :D  He is living his dream in D.C. with an unpaid internship on the Hill. He exchanged pleasantries with Senator Warren this morning and was beyond thrilled. He is finding his tribe and thinks urban life is grand. The Metro drops him off opposite his apartment where he can hang out by the rooftop pool while doing his laundry. I would love to be a fly on the wall when he gives tours since his humor is a bit dry. One of his favorite tours so far was leading a group of WWII veterans.

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing the video. It is difficult not to think in terms of those crew members being sons, young sons, and perhaps a father or two in there.

This weekend, we are celebrating the commissioning of our oldest son's dear friend and neighbor that we have known from the time he was five. He is graduating from college with his engineering degree and is a Marine. I am so thrilled for him, but get teary-eyed when I think of the risks taken by those who serve our country. It makes me want G to be seven again, standing on top of the mailbox in his shorts, rubber boots, and holding a squirt gun.

I stood many bridge watches and watches in the operations center where the ship's radar is monitored. I can remember many night watches peering through bridge wings, trying to figure out the intentions of other ships. On a good night they stayed far away, just headed wherever their next port was. On bad nights we had to make a lot of course changes and recalculate the resulting closest point of approach with all the other contacts.

I can't and won't speculate on what happened on Fitzgerald. There are plenty of people who will be investigating the collision. But I can understand how complex it is to operate ships at sea.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 2

My oldest is taking four accounting classes...two each five week session. He is hoping to change his graduation date to December. It would be nice to see him for a day or two!

My oldest daughter is doing most of the caretaking/ driving for the family as I recover from surgery. It is her first summer without classes in a long time.

Edited by Silver Brook