Menu

Lawn mowing

SquirrellyMama

Have you heard others out mowing that early?  I'd stick to 9 or later, could be folks still enjoying their quiet morning time (older folks, new mom who just got baby down after a bad night, dude who was out too late either partying or working late, etc.).   Or just ask your neighbors.  Or use a push mower, it is so much quieter.

Maybe depends on your neighborhood, or at least your immediate neighbors? All of ours are people who work during the day and/or have school aged children. So it's a pretty safe bet everyone's up and going (and probably most are gone) by 8:00 a.m., at least until school is out for the summer.

• Like 1

The lawn services start earlier -- I think around 8am, but it could be even earlier.  Of course, they get to mow and then leave, and not deal with the neighbors :tongue_smilie:

Our municipal law bans everything until 7am.  During all the rains and flooding last week I think some lawn services were racing to start nearly that early just so they could get stuff in.

I usually wait until later because it's humid here and I want the lawn to dry some.

Have you heard others out mowing that early? I'd stick to 9 or later, could be folks still enjoying their quiet morning time (older folks, new mom who just got baby down after a bad night, dude who was out too late either partying or working late, etc.). Or just ask your neighbors. Or use a push mower, it is so much quieter.

I've wanted a push mower for a while. I could get the mowing done as soon as the sun came up.

Kelly

I've started at 7:30 in morning before where we used to live. Generally 8 am is a good point around here. It might also depend upon your climate, people start earlier here in June through August because of the heat and humidity (central US). 

Around here they start as soon as it is light. 

As for the push mower, my neighbor has a push mowers that is WAY louder than a riding mower.  And he never picks up sticks, he just mows over them.  Very Loud.

It wouldn't bother me if you were my neighbor and wanted to mow early.

Edited by Baseball mom

In my neighborhood, the lawn services start by 8am.  School buses are going by at 7; garbage trucks may be coming through by 7.  During leaf season people could be running leaf blowers at 8am and late into the night.  

I would just go by the sounds in the neighborhood, what other people do.

I'd be cringing if my neighbors mowed before 9.  We are not morning people.  And while first shift people would be gone at that time, it's very possible for second or third shift workers to be sleeping.

I've never seen lawn care people in our neighborhood that early either but frankly we always have so much dew that the grass really isn't dry before 9 anyways.

• Like 1

In a neighborhood - I'd not do it earlier than 8 am. But honestly - we wait till 9.

Our last home had lawn services for all, as part of the HOA. I think the earliest they came was 8, and I found it irritating with my babies, who were not good sleepers.

I guess I think of it the way I'd think of evening. I probably wouldn't mow past 7:30 pm, either, even though it's light till 9 in summer. I know there are people trying to put kids to bed, or enjoying the evening. I know there are people sleeping in the morning, too.

What is a reasonable time to be able to start mowing on a weekday morning? I usually wait until 9am on a Saturday. Can I mow earlier during the week?

Silly question, I know.

Kelly

according to city ordinances when you can do outdoor construction/maintenance things that make lots of noise . . .

weekday  7am. 

weekend 9am

What is a reasonable time to be able to start mowing on a weekday morning? I usually wait until 9am on a Saturday. Can I mow earlier during the week?

Silly question, I know.

Kelly

Here in Texas, you often hear people out mowing earlier (7:30ish?) -- because that kind of thing needs to be done before it gets too hot.

• Like 1

Eight is definitely reasonable, and I'd personally not have a problem with seven. 

You just can't accommodate everyone, and, where I live, you risk heatstroke if you avoid early morning and mid-evening. Also where I live, no one questions the need to load up the fishing boat at bloody four in the morning, so I'm not losing sleep over mowing the lawn, lol. 

• Like 1

Anything after 7:00, though I've heard lawnwork as early as 6:30.

People here try to get lawn work done before it gets dangerously hot, which is usually by 9:00 or so in the dead of summer.

Edited by Kinsa

Thanks to this thread I've just learned that in my county lawn mowing may commence at 6 am. :scared:  That's for weekdays; weekends it's 7. Oh my--and it's supposed to stop by 8 pm on Sat and Sun; 10 pm on weekdays. 

I think the earliest I've ever heard mowers going was 7. Most folks wait until later in the morning because there is usually dew on the grass. And a lot of mowing gets done in the late evening--no dew and the temps start cooling slightly.

Around here they start as soon as it is light. 

As for the push mower, my neighbor has a push mowers that is WAY louder than a riding mower.  And he never picks up sticks, he just mows over them.  Very Loud.

It wouldn't bother me if you were my neighbor and wanted to mow early.

I thought they meant motorless reel mowers.

7:00

Evil!

Occasionally we'll get a commercial crew starting something at 7 for a one-shot thing like downing a tree, but most residents wait until 9 except when it's dangerously hot. I wouldn't complain to you, but I may fashion a crude voodoo doll to exact my revenge. I'm awake earlier, but mower noise before 9 is miserable. Our street is generally quiet and peaceful in the morning.