Menu

Life in leggings...

I have considered this a real possibility.  I just don't want to wear anything else these days.  I could put on a dressy top and cute boots if I need to look a bit nicer, right?  It seems that my uniform these days is leggings and a baggy top.  This isn't good, right?

• Like 10

I agree. The majority of my day clothes are leggings and cute tops (at least I hope other think they're cute).  If I'm not wearing leggings, I'm wearing tennis outfits, hiking outfits (which are typically sturdier leggings paired with wool socks and hiking boots), or work out clothes (which are either capris and a work out shirt or a skort and a work out shirt).

I am so thankful leggings and boots are still in fashion and I hope it continues for another couple of years until I no longer have to work and then what I wear on most days won't matter.

• Like 1

Wait until you start living I'm flip flops too. There's no going back.

Hahaha. I bought a bunch of different colors last year when Old Navy had a $2 a pair sale. :) It's only warm enough for them less than half the year here though. :(

• Like 1

A good fraction of the population will consider it inappropriate and some might judge you. If you are in a position not to need the approval of others, then do whatever you want. I do not believe that you will ever look dressy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No. Leggings ain't pants.

Honestly, I don't care. But I'm not wearing leggings in public. Nobody could handle this a$$ in leggings.

Edited by Moxie

A good fraction of the population will consider it inappropriate and some might judge you. If you are in a position not to need the approval of others, then do whatever you want. I do not believe that you will ever look dressy.

Bwahaha. Are you for real? Please tell me this is sarcasm. Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 20

I support your right to feel this way but I can't "like" this post 😂 Bwahaha

• Like 2

Capri leggings for summer.

I bought a couple of tunic length dresses because, yeah, my booty ain't going without coverage.

These are thin, but soft and very t-shirt like. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY6EYSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Super cute! Have you tried any of the cute legging brands on amazon? I've been eyeing a few.

The fraction of the population who feels all judgy over my attire can stuff it. A good fraction of the population agrees with me.

I love title IX dresses for summer. They are cooler than shorts and a lot of them can be worn braless and if I sweat or get caught in the rain, they dry in a flash. Toss it on with a pair of flip flops and I'm good to go.

• Like 22

I have a Nic and Zoe skirt that I LOVE for summer.

It's crazily versatile.

I can wear hose and a jacket and flats with it and it works for a professional meeting.

I can wear a dressy top with it for a date night.

And I can wear it with flip flops and a tshirt for casual use, and even go hiking in it.

It's knee length, and dusty dark navy blue, and it has enough of a swirl to stay out of my way but drapes so well that it doesn't add bulk.  It has a very narrow elastic waist that is utterly disguised--none of that typical bunching is even possible.  I've had it for 6-7 years, and it's still going strong.  Unbelievable.

And it's washable.

That's my go to all summer long. 

ETA:  Whew, it's a lot more expensive now than when I bought one.  Here it is in a different color:  http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/niczoetwirl-flirt-paneled-skirt-plus-size/4109049?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK%20ONYX

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 4

Inappropriate for what exactly? Dressy?

The OP didn't say anything about being 'dressy'. She said she adds a cute scarf, boots, accessories, to look nice.

I don't think she's going for wedding attire or something to wear while meeting her attorney or appearing on TV to accept her Academy Award. I'm thinking she's talking about going out to dinner with friends or DH, or running to the doctor's office, or heading out to the bookstore as opposed to running after toddlers, cleaning up cat vomit, and working the algebra problem for the 346th time so her junior higher can finally understand the example and attempt one on his own.

I went shopping on Michigan Avenue in Chicago and the majority of women were wearing leggings with long boots. That's the day I realized black leggings and brown boots can look pretty darned good together if paired with the correct shirt.

Oooh, I just  googled 'dressy leggings outfits' and wish I would have done it earlier this year. There are some great ideas on Pinterest, esp for women over 40. 

• Like 7

I would like life in leggings.  I'm trying to figure out how to survive another summer with temperatures over 100 for days (sometimes weeks on end).  It was bad enough a couple years ago when I could still wear (and look nice) in sleeveless and shorter shorts.  Now, post menopause and 55, gravity is making me rethink those sundresses and shorts.  But, I cannot bear the thought of leggings, pants, slacks, etc. 

• Like 3

I would like life in leggings. I'm trying to figure out how to survive another summer with temperatures over 100 for days (sometimes weeks on end). It was bad enough a couple years ago when I could still wear (and look nice) in sleeveless and shorter shorts. Now, post menopause and 55, gravity is making me rethink those sundresses and shorts. But, I cannot bear the thought of leggings, pants, slacks, etc.

I wear knee-length skirts with this style of slip underneath: http://www.essentialapparel.com/p/vanity-fair-underglows-pettileg?gclid=Cj0KEQjwi7vIBRDpo9W8y7Ct6ZcBEiQA1CwV2My3XQ4IC14KFA3Ii6EXSEiY95rbqzLmOp3-idleqT8aArMb8P8HAQ#9153

It's slip material, but as shorts. If the wind blows, the slip stays in place. My thighs don't rub together. The slip shorts don't ride up. It's perfect. I can wear skirts with a plain t-shirt and sandals. Very comfy and airy and I look pulled together for my age. I'm 44 and if I was svelte, I could still wear sundresses and shorts, but I'm not. The skirts hide a lot and I hated wearing them until I found those slip shorts. I bought mine at Kohls. I had to find the slip section and then rifle through the racks. The shorts were mixed in with the regular skirt-style slips, but they were there. And now I don't mind if it's windy and I don't have to worry about my thighs rubbing. I used to dread summer clothes, but not anymore. :)

And I've been behind the times because I just started wanting to wear leggings when spring hit, but now it's too late to buy a bunch of winter clothes. I'll join the legging train in the fall when it gets cold again and treat myself to some leggings and tunic tops.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

I bought a couple of tunic length dresses because, yeah, my booty ain't going without coverage. 

These are thin, but soft and very t-shirt like. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY6EYSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love this dress! Silly question, but do you wear leggings with it? What style of shoes? I wear leggings in the winter...but I only know how to wear them with boots. Would love a dress like this for this summer though! (if I can figure out how to wear it)

• Like 2

I'm right there with you! I've made the switch and loving it. Super, super comfy! For the summer, capri leggings and long, flowing sleeveless tunics are my "uniform." And I've gotten so many compliments since I started wearing them!

• Like 1

Inappropriate for what exactly? Dressy

I'll confess I was thinking the same thing. Leggings and a long style shirt or dress is more modest than a lot of tight jeans and tops I see. My legs are completely covered, which is less skin than a skirt. That is, if I cared what that small percent of judgemental people were thinking. And it is that - a small fraction.

Edited by Attolia

I would like life in leggings.  I'm trying to figure out how to survive another summer with temperatures over 100 for days (sometimes weeks on end).  It was bad enough a couple years ago when I could still wear (and look nice) in sleeveless and shorter shorts.  Now, post menopause and 55, gravity is making me rethink those sundresses and shorts.  But, I cannot bear the thought of leggings, pants, slacks, etc. 

If you really want to give it a go, try the shapewear style leggings. Not because you need "shaping" (your body is beautiful the way it is!) but because they offer more support.

If you have a store that's good about returns, save your receipt, wear it a day or two to give it a good try, and if you don't like it, return it. ---I do this with Kohls and Amazon (Amazon for only items marked "free returns"). 

• Like 1

These are thin, but soft and very t-shirt like. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY6EYSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's one I put in my Amazon cart. Very similar, but sleeveless! I love the purple. And free returns!

• Like 3

I've gotten a couple of pairs of the Viv company leggings from amazon - inexpensive, comfy, and the ones that have been washed 4 times still look good. I wear them with the dresses that are just above the knee and flip-flops. I just discovered them and love the way that they feel - it's a nice change from my usual summer 'need something decent to be seen in public' uniform of either a maxi skirt or else sport knit capris from lands end.

• Like 2

I bought almost all of mine from Kohls. I'm not a shopper and I'm highly self-conscious about my body so that limits my options. I do have one pair of Lularoe that my DGD gaveme for Christmas. They are comfortable but not something I would spend that much money on. I might change my mind though if I had a solid colored pair.

• Like 2

Zella leggings are really 'pants'.  They are a bit more heavy than other brands, and they shape you a bit, so they are very slimming.  They are available in ankle and capri lengths.

Lularoe are the most comfortable leggings I have ever been in.  They feel like butter.  So luxurious to be inside of them.

• Like 2

Zella leggings are really 'pants'. They are a bit more heavy than other brands, and they shape you a bit, so they are very slimming. They are available in ankle and capri lengths.

Lularoe are the most comfortable leggings I have ever been in. They feel like butter. So luxurious to be inside of them.

Everyone says this. What does that even mean?!? I would imagine butter to be uncomfortable on my legs??

• Like 5

"If it doesn't feel like pajamas I don't want to wear it."

That's my new motto in life. If I have a dance class that day (and this is most days) I think it's "practical" to just wear dance pants all day long. I have more dance pants than regular pants. A collection of black yoga pants plus a lot of really cut bellydancer pants that have things like little skirts attached at the waist. One pair I call my 'naked pants' because I can barely feel them.

Honestly, black pants look like black pants look like black pants. They tend to disappear especially if you're wearing a longer top. There is no reason for them not to be comfortable. In the summer I switch to skirts that are just above the knee and wear lightweight bike/booty shorts under them in case there's an unfortunate gust of wind. Sometimes I wear cotton sundresses. There's just no good radon to wear uncomfortable clothes.

• Like 9

Love this dress! Silly question, but do you wear leggings with it? What style of shoes? I wear leggings in the winter...but I only know how to wear them with boots. Would love a dress like this for this summer though! (if I can figure out how to wear it)

In the winter I would wear them with tall boots and a sweater coat that I bought at thrift store. I also done black leggings with these Bogs boots. I have brown and navy dresses. 

For the summer, I have capri leggings, plus a pair of gauzey capri pants, also bought at a thrift store. I have either sandals or loafer-type flats to wear with them. 

If it gets really hot I might wear some bike shorts under them if I'm just hanging around the house. 

• Like 1

I love leggings.  There - I said it.   I'm wear blue zebra print ones today with a long tank top and a hoodie (it's chilly this morning).

When I go into the office, I love to wear this dress with a sweater and patterned leggings - very soft and comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013EX4YE2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3I6SOBINRDB5L&coliid=I296L9IWNEK0FQ&psc=1

I wear either tennis shoes or boots with leggings.  Since it's spring here, today I will wear my rain boots when I go out of the house (I hate getting my tennis shoes muddy).

When it's hot, I wear bike shorts under skirts or knee-length workout-style leggings.  Walmart has Danskin ones right now for under $10 if you like odd patterns (I do).

• Like 3

If you insist on wearing leggings (don't, they ain't pants!!), make sure you bend over in front of someone you trust. Sometimes they go see-through when they are stretched out. I'm making an assumption here (which I shouldn't do with the loose-moraled leggings wearing crowd) but I assume no one outside of reality TV wants to show the world her underthings when picking up a pencil.

• Like 2

If you insist on wearing leggings (don't, they ain't pants!!), make sure you bend over in front of someone you trust. Sometimes they go see-through when they are stretched out. I'm making an assumption here (which I shouldn't do with the loose-moraled leggings wearing crowd) but I assume no one outside of reality TV wants to show the world her underthings when picking up a pencil.

Technically they are pants 😂 Even pajama pants are pants. You know we aren't talking about tights, right? We are talking about the thick yoga pants material type leggings. At least that's what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm alone.

• Like 7

Do you have a link to these? I tried to find them on the Athleta website, but must be overlooking them.

I was going to ask for a link too!

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=591441052

Make sure to size up on the hybrid pants. They run small about 1-2 sizes. Extremely comfortable because it seems to make you stay cool after a hard run, maybe some wicking tech.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=138443042

Metro pants have large pockets on the back so that I can put my Nexus 6P phone in when I need to use both hands.

I prefer straight-legged high-waisted yoga Metro pants with back pockets, just because you blend in better between exercises, but they don't have it right now. This would be the closest. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=711195002

Athlete has forever free returns which is why I felt comfortable buying from them in the first place. I don't like pants loosening up too much after a few outings, but Athleta seems to be made with some measure of quality.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 3

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=591441052

Make sure to size up on the hybrid pants. They run small about 1-2 sizes. Extremely comfortable because it seems to make you stay cool after a hard run, maybe some wicking tech.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=138443042

Metro pants have large pockets on the back so that I can put my Nexus 6P phone when I need to use both hands.

I prefer straight-legged high-waisted yoga Metro pants with back pockets, just because you blend in better between exercises, but they don't have it right now. This would be the closest. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=711195002

Athlete has forever free returns which is why I felt comfortable buying from them in the first place. I don't like pants loosening up too much after a few outings, but Athleta seems to made with some measure of quality.

Thank you!!

I sometimes wear skirted leggings from Skirt Sports when I plan a workout in-between errands or drop-offs/pick-ups, but there are times the short skirt isn't appropriate. The Metro Classic pants might be perfect.

Thanks, again!

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 3