Menu

How much clothing for a uniform/strict dress code school?

LucyStoner

So my son is heading to a high school in the fall with a strict dress code that requires "business dress" every day.  This means his current daily wear of jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie is out.  Khakis or slacks and collared shirts.  They don't have to wear a suit every day but are expected to own one for certain presentations and school events.  

He has exactly one pair of pants that fit him that he could wear to this school. He has outgrown all of his dress clothes, his suit and most everything else. Since he is outgrowing everything I don't want to buy too much all at once because I expect that he will need a refresh in the middle of the school year too.  We are not going to shop until close to September so as to ensure that what he buys fits at the start of the school year.  That said, he's going to have a long day, and I don't think it's practical that he will be able to do much if any, laundry midweek.  So I think he needs enough to get through the week without laundry.  

What should the quantities on his shopping list look like, assuming he basically has nothing and is building a school wardrobe from scratch?  

Thanks in advance.  

I would plan on buying 6 shirts, 6 slacks, 2-3 ties, 2-3 "business casual" type jackets or sweaters, and 1 full suit.  1 pair of "business casual" shoes and 1 pair of dress shoes for the suit, plus gym shoes (gym suit may be purchased through the school).  Socks to match.  Am I missing anything?

This of course assumes he stays in the same size for a while.  :)

• Like 3

If he can have dark colored pants- I would have 3 pairs, 5 shirts, 1 jacket and a few ties.  If it is only light colored pants- I would have 5 pairs as in my family some are going to rub up against something and get ruined.  If you have a child who does not attract dirt and unknown stuff, you could do less. 

• Like 4

This of course assumes he stays in the same size for a while.  :)

I'm not holding my breath on that one.  Since June, dude outgrew the size 16 and 18 boys pants in 5 minutes and the 30 length pants in 4 minutes.   :lol:   He's now a 28x32 but some of the 32s are looking a little shortish and I've been buying 29 in the waist and having him rely on belts.  We need a store for bean poles.  

• Like 2

For best cost- I'd have a clean shirt for every day and two pairs of pants. If he's not a slob, I think he could easily wear pants again during the week. Maybe go for black or navy blue. The shirts he shouldn't outgrow and you can buy a new pair of slacks as he outgrows an old one. Two jackets. Go for a 'uniform' style in which he looks almost the same each day instead of varying outfits greatly.

• Like 3

When my brother was that age, he had 1 pair of pants he was willing to wear to school.  That would not work for my kids, though we could do 3 pairs if absolutely necessary.  :p  If you don't want to buy a pair of pants for each day, consider buying 3 in one size and 3 in the next size up; he could wear the larger ones in a pinch, and you would have a head start for when he grows.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

Depending on your boy's ability to stay clean, I'd go with either 2 or 3 pairs of pants.  This should get him through the week fairly easily, and if I understand correctly, he could do laundry in an emergency.

I'd probably do 6 shirts, just for a bit of variety and since it's not quite as noticeable if he starts to outgrow them.

And I don't think they carry dress clothes, but American Eagle carries jeans for beanpoles ;).

• Like 1

Similar situation here, two eight graders in need of khakis (I guess), collared shirts, belts (! demerit if shirt is not tucked in) and the occasional tie for mass days.

One of them currently owns one pair of athletic pants and two t-shirts that he wears over and over again (he has others, just never wears them).  For him, I'll probably get at least three pairs of pants (once I find a pair that he'll wear), five polo-style shirts - we'll see how the Target ones hold up - and maybe two button-down to go with one tie.

The other one needs fresh clothes every day because he manages to get food on absolutely everything.  He'll need 5-6 pairs of pants and probably more than one tie LOL.

They are also allowed to wear khaki shorts sometimes so I'll probably get 2 pair for clean twin and more than 2 for messy twin.  I already bought them belts though with my luck they'll manage to lose them somehow, so I should probably get a couple more.

I do expect they'll grow out of these, though they have two younger brothers to hand down to.  And they're different sizes to start with.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

My boys have a dress code that allows them to wear uniform pants in either navy or khaki. Each boy has one pair of each and wears each pair multiple times before washing. They wear polo shirts, and I think they have about eight between the two of them (same shirt size, so they share).

We've been having the problem of growing out of pants, so this last time I bought them slightly too long and then turned the hem up once. The next time they grow an inch, I can let them down and won't have to repurchase the trousers.

My boys aren't the neatest, and they still have recess and/or run around the gym at lunch time, but having two pairs of pants each has been sufficient.

For your son, I'd buy two or maybe three pairs of pants, five shirts, and one suit with whatever shirt and tie needs to go with it. Two belts in case he misplaces one, enough socks to get through the week. Once he stops growing, you can add to his wardrobe, but I would buy the minimum to start.

• Like 1

May I suggest the Lands End uniform store? They have adjustable waistbands and custom lengths in trousers. Watch their sales closely--they have an excellent sale in early to mid July that lasts a brief period of time but is often the best prices of the year.

Then, order trousers unhemmed (if you have any sewing skills). I recommend their reinforced knees style--the Iron Knee. We have been able to do a tucked hem, and let it down as growth spurts happen. (My son grew 8" in one year!)

My boys are VERY hard on clothing, but these wash and wear so nicely that they are worth the expense.  I have also been very happy with their white dress shirts. I have been able to hand some down---they've been in continuous use for 4 years now and still look good.  Their polos have also served us well--only the deep purple one is showing any wear after 4 years--slight fading. 

I highly recommend 5 trousers, 7 shirts (mix of polos, printed dress shirts, etc., 2 dress shirts, 2 ties, 1 blazer, and sweaters as appropriate to your climate (none to three).  As much as I would like to buy less, my boys flat out stink by the end of the day.  Airing and re-wearing is socially appropriate in Europe, but not as much here.  If your budget won't allow it, Laura's plan would work....but your son must air his trousers and spot clean as necessary.  

• Like 5

May I suggest the Lands End uniform store? They have adjustable waistbands and custom lengths in trousers. Watch their sales closely--they have an excellent sale in early to mid July that lasts a brief period of time but is often the best prices of the year.

Plus the Lands End khakis are durable or they were as I have no idea of the quality now. They were very stain resistant.

• Like 1

My boys wear the Lands End uniform iron-knee pants, and they have lasted very well.

I did buy some unhemmed pants when they started their growth spurts, but they were WAY too long for my boys, who are just under 5' (I had 10 or 12 inches to hem, which was too unwieldy). For a taller boy, the unhemmed option would be a good one.

The July sale over the last two years has been 30 percent off. If you subscribe to their email list, you will get discount offers sent regularly, and you will see the 30 percent deal several times over the year. This winter I even received a 40 percent off deal.

Edited by Storygirl

If you don't mind him re-wearing pants, 3 pairs of pants, 5 - 8 long and short sleeved shirts, 8 - 10 pairs of socks. And one suit. Unfortunately, he does need all those shirts.

If you do mind him re-wearing pants, then get 5 or 6 pairs of pants.

You might also want to get sweaters and/or vests, in which case 3 would be a reasonable number - one vest, one lighter weight sweater, one heavier weight sweater.

No laundry during the week will definitely require more clothing, so yes, possibly 5 pairs of pants if he's going to get them really sweaty or dirty. Less if he can rewear them between washes. Ds has a uniform and started the year with two pairs of khakis. Over washing them and I guess growing?? they became short! It was a huge ordeal for me to find some mid year, but I managed. I have shopped at Academy Sports (those are the ones that shrunk but they do wash and wear well), Target (Cat & Jack is the brand we got but not sure if they go up to high school sizes), and another pair but it was from a children's store. To get the most bang for my buck I bought the 4 polo bundle pack of shirts from walmart.com. I paid someone to monogram the school logo on them. Polos would be an easy item and probably don't need ironed. I rarely iron ours. I also got a polo from Academy Sports sold individually for $3.99 on sale so if you find them at that price, stock up. In the end you see I got 5 shirts for 5 days of the week. The shirts are slightly different in thickness, but they're all fine.

You can of course get other collared shirts, but I think a few polos might be handy. And maybe a pack of white undershirts. For winter maybe just long sleeve solid shirts to layer.

• Like 1

Each of my boys has had two pairs of trousers, one jacket, five shirts and two or three ties.  They wear the trousers for more than one day and the jacket gets cleaned as necessary.

This is exactly how my son got through his uniform school days.  And big old packs of identical socks so he doesn't have to match them.

I'm not holding my breath on that one.  Since June, dude outgrew the size 16 and 18 boys pants in 5 minutes and the 30 length pants in 4 minutes.   :lol:   He's now a 28x32 but some of the 32s are looking a little shortish and I've been buying 29 in the waist and having him rely on belts.  We need a store for bean poles.  

... and, this is my son's size.  I echo other pp recommendation for the Lands End uniform store -- the khakis hold up better than other brands and have adjustable-on-the-inside waistbands.

• Like 1

Personally I'm not up to policing the kids' habits i.e. making sure they hang things up vs. play outside in their school clothes (which they know they shouldn't do, but there is always some excuse to do it).  Maybe I will feel differently when my kids are a few years older.  :)

• Like 1

I wish I could be of more help than people already have here.  

My son had a strict dress code, and we did pretty much what is quoted in Pam in CT's post ahead of mine.  My kid is now 21 and is still a 28-THIRTYFOUR or THIRTYSIX.  Belts, baby.  We have bought him some $200 jeans (:::she faints:::) because that is what he wears every day and it is the only kind that fits him.  I have personally never owned a $200 item of clothing...well, maybe a coat or something.  But sheesh.  

The other thing I would advise is to take it easy on purchases--do enough to get by, maybe doing more laundry than you want to, because you won't believe how kids pick up on who is wearing what element of the uniform.  Eg.  If they have a sweater vest OR a long-sleeve sweater, don't buy one of each.  Try to snoop out what the kids like to wear and then get two of those.  We were allowed short or long sleeve business shirts, so we got short sleeve because my kid runs hot.  Wrong.  It was LONG sleeves rolled up that year.  Le sigh.  We got Land's End which were perfectly fine except no, it was American Eagle that year.  Lower rise.  :::eye roll:::

Also, get at least half a dozen pairs of ONE color of the socks that are allowed.  It is so much easier when he doesn't have to fish around to match socks in the morning.  

We got by with one tie, but he didn't have to wear it every day, IIRC.  

And shop thrift stores NOW.  Get the britches a little longer than you need them.  Make a good guess.  By July the uniform clothes will all be gone and the price difference is BIG compared to new.  

And two pairs of shoes that meet the requirements.  They don't have to be identical (unless they do) but they need time between wearings.  Trust me.  

Finally, if you have to buy a jacket, go to the *children's* section at Nordstroms.  I about fainted when I saw how much cheaper the size 20/22 was there than the similar men's coat at any store.  And they alter for free.  

I'm thinking he will end up a 28X34 before long.  I don't think he will get to 36 though.  

I basically never see anything at the thrift stores smaller than about a 30 or 32 waist.  We've had to buy his newer pants new but shopping the sales it hasn't been too much of a price difference for used pants that are still in good condition.  

I'm thinking he will end up a 28X34 before long. I don't think he will get to 36 though.

I basically never see anything at the thrift stores smaller than about a 30 or 32 waist. We've had to buy his newer pants new but shopping the sales it hasn't been too much of a price difference for used pants that are still in good condition.

Uniform pants are different. They usually don't get worn out before putgrown. I found some of the best deals on the britches. Shirts, no. They get stained before worn out.

Uniform pants are different. They usually don't get worn out before putgrown. I found some of the best deals on the britches. Shirts, no. They get stained before worn out.

My husband is small waisted and long legged so I always check all of the various boys and mens pants sections at any thrift store.  Thus far, no luck.  Lots of school uniform pants for kids who can still wear kids size 16 and 18 but not much in my son's sizes at all. Earlier in our marriage, I was happy when my husband gained enough weight to wear 32 waists, lol.  

Edited by LucyStoner

For my boy the minimum I have done is 2 bottoms and 4 tops.  I live in FL so our bottoms are khaki shorts and our tops are specific crested golf shirts.  I am rather militant about taking the uniform off the second they get home and for the love of God, do not leave them in a ball on your floor.  Hang them up.

Also, if there are specific shirts they have to wear (with an emblem or crest) your school may sponsor a used uniform sale or swap closer to the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

A big part of it is going to depend on how smelly his clothes get. At that age, one of mine could wear his pants twice. The other could only wear them once. Despite good hygiene, the pants simply smelled at the end of the day. Especially in the seat area.

• Like 1

One thing to consider - how many loads of laundry would you need to do to refresh the wardrobe?  

One of mine had black socks and tights, and white shirts.  For me, that's two different loads of laundry, which was an annoyance.

So if possible, you might want to go with lighter pants (instead of navy), so you can wash them with lighter shirts, plus khaki socks so they can go in the same load too.  One load of uniform stuff, and you're done for the week ahead.

School 1, specific uniform:

We did two bottoms, five tops, which was a week's worth.  One pair school-required shoes.  Five or six pairs socks for summer, and five or six pairs of tights (the sturdy kind) for winter.  Five sets of undies that worked with the rest.

Over time, we gradually added a few more tops, socks, and tights.  The two bottoms were from a uniform company and lasted all four years and still looked almost new.

School 2, "business attire": 

A week's worth of undies and socks.  Over the four years, two pairs of dress shoes.  One belt (you can get reversible black/brown).  Assorted pants and shirts, mostly thrifted, added to regularly as they got outgrown or worn out.  

Do you need a suit, or will dress pants and sports coat do?  We thrifted the sports coats (didn't have the "bean pole" issue).  

We also thrifted a wide variety of ties - they are often only a dollar or two, and it's kind of fun to wear a Shakespeare tie, for a Lit class exam, or a Bayeux Tapestry tie, for a special day in history class.  

• Like 1

Here 2 trousers, 2 polo shirts and a polar fleece or sweatshirt seems standard. I like to have 2 sweatshirts and I just picked up a third shirt for each boy second hand. I also have a spare pair of trousers for ds10 who has occasional bladder problems and carries a change (very very rare now but still worth it). I wash a couple of times during the week but I know a lot of people who don't. Teens are smellier though and I think the two shirts and 2 pinafores I had at highschool were insufficient. I would do 3 trousers and 5 shirts if possible (second hand or cheap shirts).

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

Don't wait until fall, but start hitting Goodwill etc. and garage sales in the summer - odds are you will find some usable slacks at least there, saving $. Collared shirts - so are polo shirts ok, or do they want button front dress shirts? Get a cotton/poly blend, those can hang up right out of the dryer so no ironing. I'd aim for three pairs of slacks - one in laundry, one to wear, one to wear if spill something and the other pair is in the wash. Five shirts, or six (again, a spare). Note - I have found my sons good suit jackets at Goodwill, too.

• Like 3

Despite good hygiene, the pants simply smelled at the end of the day. Especially in the seat area.

Some people find that soaking the, um, seat area with vodka or rubbing alcohol removes the smell once the alcohol dries. If the pants aren't actually *dirty*, that is.

My dc wear uniforms to school. They have five pair of uniform shorts, four uniform casual day shirts, a formal shirt, a tie, and four pair of uniform pants. They have formal day once a week, and it is the only day they are required to wear long pants. Usually they wear shorts. They each have two or three warm sweatshirts, and several lightweight ones. They don't wear anything twice without washing them. We live in the south and boys get sweaty. They don't wear coats or jackets to school. They might wear a sports tshirt/sweatshirt/shorts that has the school logo on it after school or on the weekends, but they usually change clothes before they go anywhere.

Don't wait until fall, but start hitting Goodwill etc. and garage sales in the summer - odds are you will find some usable slacks at least there, saving $. Collared shirts - so are polo shirts ok, or do they want button front dress shirts? Get a cotton/poly blend, those can hang up right out of the dryer so no ironing. I'd aim for three pairs of slacks - one in laundry, one to wear, one to wear if spill something and the other pair is in the wash. Five shirts, or six (again, a spare). Note - I have found my sons good suit jackets at Goodwill, too.

This is what I did when my son's old school required Lands End  polos and khakis.. Threw in a couple of long sleeve white shirts.  Also check if there is used clothing sale at the school.  

Good advice so far, which I will not rehash.

However, there is one more thing--try to find out how often the kids will have to dress formally.

At my DD's high school I waaay overbought the formal stuff, because we figured that on the less formal days you still could wear the formal stuff.  But, that was Just Not Done. 

Also, go slow on the purchases. It's really tempting to do them all at one time, but drat, it's so frustrating to have bought the formal pullover AND the formal jacket only to find that no one else ever bought the formal jacket in the history of the school, apparently, so it's unacceptable for public use though by far the most attractive option, and oh by the way, the formal cardigan hangs wrong for, like, everyone in the world.  Or whatever. 

They had maybe 2-3 formal days per month, and I should have just bought one formal outfit and then added a piece or two down the road.

Conversely, I bought way too little of the nonformal-but-still-uniform stuff, and had to fill in.

• Like 2

Each of my boys has had two pairs of trousers, one jacket, five shirts and two or three ties. They wear the trousers for more than one day and the jacket gets cleaned as necessary.

This would be what I would lean towards. Daily showering and changing out of school clothes after school and hanging them up to air out should allow for more than one wearing.

This would be what I would lean towards. Daily showering and changing out of school clothes after school and hanging them up to air out should allow for more than one wearing.

I'm just trying to work him up to showering every other day at this point. #funwithautism

• Like 1

If he doesn't like to shower every day, and you don't like to do midweek laundry, then definitely go with one complete outfit for each day of the week, plus one or two spares. Kids can be vicious towards those who smell bad, especially if they also don't act completely 100% like everybody else.

• Like 1

Good advice so far, which I will not rehash.

However, there is one more thing--try to find out how often the kids will have to dress formally.

At my DD's high school I waaay overbought the formal stuff, because we figured that on the less formal days you still could wear the formal stuff.  But, that was Just Not Done.

Also, go slow on the purchases. It's really tempting to do them all at one time, but drat, it's so frustrating to have bought the formal pullover AND the formal jacket only to find that no one else ever bought the formal jacket in the history of the school, apparently, so it's unacceptable for public use though by far the most attractive option, and oh by the way, the formal cardigan hangs wrong for, like, everyone in the world.  Or whatever. 

They had maybe 2-3 formal days per month, and I should have just bought one formal outfit and then added a piece or two down the road.

Conversely, I bought way too little of the nonformal-but-still-uniform stuff, and had to fill in.

YES!!!  And LISTEN to the kid.  

I insisted that dd would want ankle socks, after all, who wears knee socks these days?  Catholic school kids, that's who.  Dd was right; the ankle socks did not get worn.  Mom loses one point.

Dd insisted that she would NOT wear pants, even in freezing cold weather.  I listened and didn't buy the pants, but instead bought thick fleece tights.  Dd was happy.  Mom was surprised but happy.  Mom scores one point.

We also chose to skip the unfashionable sweater vest in favor of the long-sleeved sweater, and to skip the long-sleeved polos in favor of, in colder weather, the short sleeved ones with a cami under and the sweater over.  And we went with the wrap kilt (in a slightly larger size) rather than the regular kilt, on the theory that one could move the buttons for the wrap.  Those were all winning decisions - points for all!

Also note that you may end up doing more laundry than you would think with a uniform.  Dd wore three outfits most days - school uniform, after-school outfit, and sports outfit.  The sport even required different undies.  So two-and-a-half outfits on most days, much of which had to be washed. 

Oh - and you have boys, so no need to teach the Traditional Catholic Schoolgirl Skirt Waist Rolling Technique.  (Roll skirt at waist to shorten length.  Anchor with banded polo over top.  If the Dean is on the warpath over hem lengths, discreetly unroll waist.  After Dean has passed, re-roll.)

• Like 3

Oh - and you have boys, so no need to teach the Traditional Catholic Schoolgirl Skirt Waist Rolling Technique.  (Roll skirt at waist to shorten length.  Anchor with banded polo over top.  If the Dean is on the warpath over hem lengths, discreetly unroll waist.  After Dean has passed, re-roll.)

LOL.

And, yes.

Also, with girls uniforms, the footwear/socks became just about the only way to declare yourself fashionably.  So gifts that were normally regarded as fairly boring, like 'message' socks or textured, fancy, colorful tights suddenly were highly esteemed. 

Also, in our case, each class selected class colors.  DD's class picked red and purple.  So purple nail polish was hugely valuable, as were purple or red lacy tights, for, say spirit week or class colors days or field trips.

I'm just trying to work him up to showering every other day at this point. #funwithautism

Ahh. Maybe two pair of pants that are that material that is designed not to hold oders? It might not be possible to find for what you need and it might be a bit more expensive than buying 5 pairs of pants.

Maybe he will not be a smelly teen boy and will be able to get away with wearing pants twice?

I feel you though, my son seems to have the most popular waist size in the area making it almost impossible to find pants that fit him in a thrift store. I am not looking forward to buying him clothes in the next few years.

He's not an especially stinky teen yet BUT I want him to learn to bathe regularly and use deodorant before that switch flips. We are working on it every day.

I definitely want to avoid him getting a reputation for having terrible hygiene habits. He's got enough social hurdles, we don't need to add any.

• Like 2

omgoodness I smell your pain.

You are not alone. Even without autism.

Almost all high schools here in NZ require uniforms.  When ds#2 was in high school he had his #1s (formal uniform = blazer, white button down shirt, tie, & dress pants) & his school uniform (polo shirt, shorts, & long socks), & his PE uniform (T-shirt & gym shorts).  He had one set of #1s, one set of PE uniform, & 3 sets of school uniform (one to wear, one to wash, & one spare).  In the winter he would add a wool jersey (pullover sweater) to his school uniform.  He only had one jersey to start with, but I was able to pick up a 2nd hand one early on, so he had a spare if he got wet on rainy days as wool takes forever to dry. 

Depending on how often you do wash & whether the uniform can go in the drier, would determine how much I'd buy.  Three sets of the uniform he needs for most days would be the minimum I'd be happy with.  Five sets would be the maximum.  Boys grow fast during some years of high school, so that would be a factor as well.  Ds#2 wore the same size for Y9 Y10, but jumped up a size each of the next 2 years.  Luckily for me a friend gave her boys' old uniforms when her youngest finished school, so for Y11 & Y12 ds#2 wore those.  For Y13 he would have been in #1s everyday if  he hadn't changed schools to take up a hockey scholarship as he had been named a perfect in his old school.  I was planning on getting him 3 pairs of dress pants, 3 short sleeve dress shirts (summer) & 3 long-sleeve dress shirts (winter) if he hadn't moved schools. Again one in the wash, one to wear, & one spare.  

JMHO

PS---I really like school uniforms.  I find that my children needed less clothing overall when they had school uniforms & they focused better at school when in uniform.

Edited by Deb in NZ

It seems like the compromise number of pants would be three. Rewearing twice a week is probably manageable, but rewearing more often than not, as would be the case with only two, is too much, especially if the dress code is strict. Clothes that have been worn and worn and worn again without washing aren't "business attire," no matter how they look on the rack. But I would hunt down five affordable pairs if you at all can - if he's really short on clothes right now, what would he even be changing into for the advice to have him change out of the school clothes to preserve them? And I think five shirts is a no-brainer.

• Like 1

Questions I never thought I'd have to ponder:  dress code requires being clean-shaven.  Wondering if they need to remove the 14 y.o. fuzz "mustache."  (for one of them, it's kind of dark.)  sigh.

I would think yes to be on the safe side. I had a bit of a horror story when I toured one private school. The headmaster grinned like a villain when he bragged that he dry shaved a boy making him bleed after not keeping his face clean shaven for school. They keep disposable razors at the school and normally send the kids to do their own face. I'm guessing this kid kept coming to school w/o it shaven but that was just wrong. I don't know how most school handle it (if they send the kid home or what).

IThe headmaster grinned like a villain when he bragged that he dry shaved a boy making him bleed after not keeping his face clean shaven for school.

Wow, that sounds abusive. I know it's a bit different for guys because it's your face that everyone has to look at, but I think for both sexes the early stage of figuring out adult grooming practices like hair removal is just so personal, and awkward enough without being put on the spot about it at school. I would definitely make sure it was done at home to protect the kid from running into anything like that.