Menu

Can you guys help me name my baby girl?

Meadowlark

This is #6, and dh and I cannot not only NOT agree, we can't even find any names we like, period! I don't know how this baby is going to get named. We have 4 months so no huge rush, but I thought I'd through it out there to see if anyone came up with anything we hadn't thought of before. Here is the deal:

Other girls names are Lila and Ivy, so must somehow fit with those. I want something a little different, yet not super trendy either. 

Also, last name is one syllable and rhymes with "pen", which automatically takes out any short e vowel names.

Thank you!

This is #6, and dh and I cannot not only NOT agree, we can't even find any names we like, period! I don't know how this baby is going to get named. We have 4 months so no huge rush, but I thought I'd through it out there to see if anyone came up with anything we hadn't thought of before. Here is the deal:

Other girls names are Lila and Ivy, so must somehow fit with those. I want something a little different, yet not super trendy either.

Also, last name is one syllable and rhymes with "pen", which automatically takes out any short e vowel names.

Thank you!

Violet is currently one of my favs and I believe would work well with other names.

• Like 4

I would go on to Nymbler, type in your other kids' names and see which suggestions you like. Just using Lila and Ivy, I get these suggestions:

Maya

Jewel

Charity

Hazel

Lucy

Charlotte

Leda

Georgia

Victoria

Lucia

Rose

Grace

Ruby

Luna

Phoebe

Nadia

Julia

Neva

Zara

Claire

Maeve

Joy

Piper

• Like 1

Lila and Ivy were both on my name lists for girls!  

Other names I liked were:   

Elise

Chloe

Piper/Pippa

Mia

Thea/Téa

Zoe

Quinn

Sophie

Naomi

Claire

Laurel

Kara

Lark

Isa

Jillian

Tessa/Tess

Paige

Nina

Edited by Kebo
  • Like 2

I love Nymblr too. I'm thinking that a flower name will sound nice with the two you already have:

Hazel

Rowan

Violet (this is very nice)

Rose

Flora (not such a fan of this one)

Iris

Holly

Olivia

Heather

Daisy

Clover (this seems a bit more modern than your girls' names)

Jasmine

Posy

Willow

Sorrel

Laurel

• Like 2

I'm loving reading all of these suggestions! I might add that I'd prefer a 2 or 3 syllable name since our last name is one syllable.

Ones on my shortlist that I had to rule out are Julia (relative's name), Hazel (would sound funny with our last name) and anything that starts with L or I. I just want the first initials to be different.

DH and I are on totally opposite sides of the spectrum. Names that I like are Violet, Noelle, Scarlett, Chloe...he suggested Edith and Vivian. So we're not exactly thinking the same, ha ha. I hope to show him all of these and hope that one or two reappear a few times :-)

Edited by Meadowlark

I'm loving reading all of these suggestions! I might add that I'd prefer a 2 or 3 syllable name since our last name is one syllable.

Ones on my shortlist that I had to rule out are Julia (relative's name), Hazel (would sound funny with our last name) and anything that starts with L or I. I just want the first initials to be different.

DH and I are on totally opposite sides of the spectrum. Names that I like are Violet, Noelle, Scarlett, Chloe...he suggested Edith and Vivian. So we're not exactly thinking the same, ha ha. I hope to show him all of these and hope that one or two reappear a few times :-)

Violet and Scarlett are my favorites of what you mentioned in the above post. I don't hate your husband's choices but they do not go with other girls names at all IMO.

• Like 1

Adeline

Alice

Annabel

Beatrice (or Beatrix)

Calla

Caroline

Cecily

Celia

Clara

Cordelia

Eloise

Fiona

Flora

Juliet (too close to Julia? or a nice alternative?)

Marian

Marigold

Philippa (with the nickname Pippa...I think the full name is too much with your other girls' names)

Rilla

Rosalind

Ruby

Sabrina

Stella

Susanna

Elise?

It is a classic but I have heard it coming back. So traditional but not old. Currently in use but not trendy.

Oh too funny...we were just talking about this last night. Funny thing is, dh said "okay, I like it" when I brought it up. WHAT? It couldn't possibly be that easy! But..then we started talking about spelling. I like it with an "A" as in "ah-lease" and am not a big fan of 'Eh lease"...

BUT-when I think of the spellings with an A, nothing fits. Alise and Alyce could be mistaken for Alice, and I don't want her to have to explain her name her whole life. Elise is quite classic, but reminds me of the 80's with the mom from Growing Pains. But I agree-it's classic and beautiful. Just can't really make it fit unless I succumb to the "eh" of Elise. Hmmm...what do you think?

My sister's name is Elise (but spelled like release without the R - it's a family spelling). She prefers the initial sound to be "ee," but it's incredibly rare for anyone to say it that way. The vast majority of people use the schwa sound there, even with the E at the beginning. 

The mom from Growing Pains was named Maggie though.

Oh too funny...we were just talking about this last night. Funny thing is, dh said "okay, I like it" when I brought it up. WHAT? It couldn't possibly be that easy! But..then we started talking about spelling. I like it with an "A" as in "ah-lease" and am not a big fan of 'Eh lease"...

BUT-when I think of the spellings with an A, nothing fits. Alise and Alyce could be mistaken for Alice, and I don't want her to have to explain her name her whole life. Elise is quite classic, but reminds me of the 80's with the mom from Growing Pains. But I agree-it's classic and beautiful. Just can't really make it fit unless I succumb to the "eh" of Elise. Hmmm...what do you think?

What about making it 3 syllables with a final "a" - Elisa. I agree if you write it with an initial A, people will be confused forevermore. My friend is names "Alana" (pronounced Uh-lay-nah) and people always think her name is "Alannah."

What about making it 3 syllables with a final "a" - Elisa. I agree if you write it with an initial A, people will be confused forevermore. My friend is names "Alana" (pronounced Uh-lay-nah) and people always think her name is "Alannah."

I know an Elyssa. But Meadowlark wants the A sound.

Alyssa?

I still much prefer Violet or Scarlett. Or Poppy.

Violet has been a popular baby name where I live for the past few years. Just wanted to bring that up because you said you didn't want a trendy name.

What part of the country is that? I have not heard anyone use it....except maybe some movie star..

I heard a little 3 year old named Isis the other day. Horrifying.

How about Annaliese then? You get the ah first sound and the lise last syllable and that's not a name people will have to guess at.

What part of the country is that? I have not heard anyone use it....except maybe some movie star..

Midwest. It became popular after Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck named their daughter Violet, and I think there have been a few other celebrity babies named that since then, too.

I'm in the midwest too. I don't know anybody with a Violet, and yet I saw 3 Violet's in the baby section of our city's newspaper. There is also quite a bit of chatter about it in baby name forums. That made me go "hmm"...because although I don't mind a bit trendy, I don't want there to be 3 Violet's in her class. 

My sister's name is Elise (but spelled like release without the R - it's a family spelling). She prefers the initial sound to be "ee," but it's incredibly rare for anyone to say it that way. The vast majority of people use the schwa sound there, even with the E at the beginning. 

Yeah, almost all English speakers automatically turn a vowel in a non-stressed syllable into a schwa, so Elise is usually Uh-LEASE, not 'Eh".  So maybe you don't have to worry about the spelling...?

• Like 1