Menu

Dinings tables, need table cloth?

Janeway

We have a dining table in the dining room. We always put down a table cloth, but we have also mostly just used it for holidays. I would like to start using it for every day use. It seems a little silly to use a table cloth for every day use. BUT, I have never used the table without a table cloth. However, it does have paint on it as my husband had the kids painting on it with acrylic paints a while back and never put anything down under them. WWYD?

We use our dining table for all meals and use placemats. Much easier to wash, no ironing needed, and you can instantly have some seasonal flair.

We only use a table cloth for special meals like Thanksgiving when we have so many people at the table that placemats would not work.

Food goes on a runner or coasters in the middle.

Edited by regentrude

We use a tablecloth nearly all the time.  I buy the kind made for restaurants so even though they're white, they're water and stain repellent and wash fairly easily.  I do a load with all my kitchen towels and the tablecloth for the week.

I don't think you NEED a tablecloth, though.  I just prefer it to the bare table for everyday use.

• Like 3

I have probably 20 tablecloths.  I like the idea of them, but they are too annoying to keep up with.

I also have a lot of placements.  I don't use those either.  The kids spill on them and then they get stained.  Probably some plastic ones would be better.

I have some super nice ones that I'd love to use for holidays, but my dad shakes so he spills all over the place.  So I don't bother.

We use our dining room table for every meal. I have glass covering the wood and use table cloths.

I think it is easier to throw the table cloth in the wash every few days than to wipe down placemats.

Plus I enjoy using different colors and patterns of table cloths according to my mood.

• Like 3

Just yesterday we went to look at wood slabs to maybe have a long dining room table made.

They were really gorgeous, but I found myself thinking that if I got a live edge/variable width slab table I wouldn't be able to use any of my tablecloths on it.  So I'm going to go back with some of them and try them out and see how they look.  If I can't use my tablecloths, I'm going to get a plank type table rather than a slab one.  That's how much I like my tablecloths.

• Like 1

Dh grew up in a tablecloth and placemat home. He wasn't too fond of that so when we got our dining table he made sure to finish it with several layers of polyurethane so we wouldn't have to worry about damage from cups leaving rings and stuff like that. Which was good as there was no way I was going to deal with tablecloths and placemats. lol. But some friends of ours had a "fancier" table that needed to be waxed occasionally and they were sure to use placemats daily and tablecloths for special occasions.

Tablecloths and placemats aren't my style but if they're yours and/or you need to protect your table then just use them. You can probably just get a couple tablecloths from the thrift store. Or get a nice one for special occasions and use the painted one for everyday.

I think it is easier to throw the table cloth in the wash every few days than to wipe down placemats.

Plus I enjoy using different colors and patterns of table cloths according to my mood.

My placemats are fabric and go in the ashing machine.

I have several sets for mood and season :)

• Like 1

One thing I did that was kind of fun when DD was little was make woven paper placemats out of bright computer paper (because I was afraid construction paper dye would run) in seasonal colors for us to use and toss.  It was kind of fun.  We used bright yellow and violet for the Easter season, lime and red for Christmastime, and red and pink for Valentine's Day.  Red and white or red and blue for patriotic holidays.  We didn't use these for the actual holidays, just around the same time.  It was a little festive, and also very inexpensive, and so it was easy to throw them away once they got dirty.

• Like 1

well they come out wrinkled when you wash them (mine do) and then stains...seems like every time there would be something on them I had a tough time getting off...so I don't see how that is particularly easy

I bought a clear plastic cloth to put over them at one point, but that was rather ugly.

All my place mates are cloth.  I had issues with stains on those too.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

well they come out wrinkled when you wash them (mine do) and then stains...seems like every time there would be something on them I had a tough time getting off...so I don't see how that is particularly easy

I bought a clear plastic cloth to put over them at one point, but that was rather ugly.

All my place mates are cloth.  I had issues with stains on those too.

Yes, that would kind of defeat the purpose.

I never had to treat any stains on mine - they come out in the wash. I use the thick woven ones with the ridgelike texture, no issues with wrinkling either - they are completely flat when I take them off the clothes line.

Which is the main appeal since I despise ironing table cloths. (And oh boy, the stains show. White damask or linen are evil. And we like red wine...)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I always use a table cloth because it makes clean up so much easier.

Shake crumbs off outside, toss table cloth in the washer, put clean cloth on the table. I try to keep the table covered at all times.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Yes, that would kind of defeat the purpose.

I never had to treat any stains on mine - they come out in the wash. I use the thick woven ones with the ridgelike texture, no issues with wrinkling either - they are completely flat when I take them off the clothes line.

Which is the main appeal since I despise ironing table cloths. (And oh boy, the stains show. White damask or linen are evil. And we like red wine...)

I have a bunch of those ridge like textured ones too.  Those are probably the best ones.

I haven't bought any of my table clothes or place mats.  They were all gifts.  Super duper nice ones, but they wrinkle and stain.  I think some people bought them not thinking how practical it would be with little kids.

My kids aren't little anymore, but I dunno, I guess they are just messy!  And then my cats sometimes lay on the table so they get fur on the cloth.  Ick.  Easier to just wipe the table.

We bought a hickory table from the Amish,  it has such beautiful graining I didn't want to hide it under a tablecloth but I didn't want the kids to spill all over it either.  I bought a piece of heavy clear vinyl and cover the table  Works perfect.. Easy to clean, protects the wood and I can still see my beautiful table.  If I wasn't trying to specifically protect the wood than yeah I'd skip a covering all together or just use a tablecloth for special occasions.

Edited by cjzimmer1

We use a tablecloth nearly all the time. I buy the kind made for restaurants so even though they're white, they're water and stain repellent and wash fairly easily. I do a load with all my kitchen towels and the tablecloth for the week.

I don't think you NEED a tablecloth, though. I just prefer it to the bare table for everyday use.

Where do you get them? We use a tablecloth everyday too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a very old, weathered farm table. I only use a table cloth or placemats for special occasions where I want the table to look decorated. Other than that, it is bare. I bought an old table specifically so I didn't have to worry about it being damaged by normal use. Any scratches or stains just add to the charm. ;)

• Like 4

Where do you get them? We use a tablecloth everyday too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy them at Sam's Club of all places, 2 in a pack, but you can get a 6 pack, too. I would imagine any store that carries restaurant equipment would have them.

• Like 1

I use a tablecloth all the time. It's a lot easier to keep the table clean. After the meal, we clear the table and put a clean table cloth on. I have many tableclothes. It's very easy and quick. Easier and quicker than wiping down the table after every meal. Staining hasn't been a problem.

• Like 1

We do the table cloth thing. It's really hard to keep up with, since there is the need to shake it out after every meal. And the stains (from tea, mainly.) And the cheaper table cloths we have, the microfiber ones that are supposed to be water repellant, look really shabby after a few years. If you want to do tablecloths, you will probably need a whole lot of them. Especially if you have a messy family.

So most of the time, our table is bare. 

The finish on it looks really worn away, and it needs refinishing, so I understand your desire to keep the table covered. 

I heard you can get cut pieces of glass somewhere to put over your table, I'd like to do that, maybe with a tablecloth underneath it, or after I work up the courage to try to sand and re-finish the table. 

Any scratches or stains just add to the charm. ;)

We talked about refinishing the table top when the dc grew up but part of me gets a bit wistful at the thought of sanding out the spots where ds1 stabbed the table with his fork. Or the spots where he discovered that ballpoint pens leave colored spots. lol. Or the many other memories etched in the table top. Youngest is now 12yo. No thoughts of refinishing the table top any time soon.

• Like 2

the biggest question - what's the finish?

my deco kitchen table has five coats of marine spar varnish. (that I hand applied when I refinished it)  I can spill a pitcher of water, leave it for an hour, and it won't hurt it.  it also holds up to people dragging stuff across it.

a table cloth is more to protect the surface.  (I would always put something under the cloth if actually eating and not just for show)

my cherry dining room table - where we regularly eat - has protective pads and a table cloth.  (but it also works for cutting out fabric on top  of the protective pads . . . )

• Like 1

We use a tablecloth nearly all the time.  I buy the kind made for restaurants so even though they're white, they're water and stain repellent and wash fairly easily.  I do a load with all my kitchen towels and the tablecloth for the week.

I don't think you NEED a tablecloth, though.  I just prefer it to the bare table for everyday use.

the microfiber stuff that beads water is so cool. use them all the time.  easy wash, no iron.

table cloths that need ironing (re: my "good" ones) - only get used for special occasions.

We use placemats or a tablecloth on our wood table. It's pretty beat up but I just prefer to not to put dishes, etc, directly on the wood. I know people who do not use either, and that's fine too.

Except for the friend who didn't want to put down a tablecloth or placemats, but constantly reminded people to be careful not to spill, to put things down carefully when they passed dishes, etc. Very stressful meals at her house! So whatever you decide, please don't do that! :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

We've used tablecloths and placemats. And sometimes both at the same time.  Our dining table was my grandmother's, bought in 1945, and it has a lacquered finish.  Easy to scratch. But the kitchen table was built around 1900 and it has a different finish that doesn't scratch as easily and never shows water marks. So I don't need anything on that table. 

I think the finish is a big part of how much I need to protect it. Having said that, I'm a quilter so I make placemats and table runners. A person only needs so many quilts...

• Like 2

We use a tablecloth nearly all the time. I buy the kind made for restaurants so even though they're white, they're water and stain repellent and wash fairly easily. I do a load with all my kitchen towels and the tablecloth for the week.

I don't think you NEED a tablecloth, though. I just prefer it to the bare table for everyday use.

Where do you buy your restaurant quality tablecloths? I'm always looking for a good source!

I know many love placemats, but they're not my preference. I'd just as soon wipe a table as wipe down 5-6-8 placemats. And they take space to store.

I like tablecloths because they are good crumb catchers. Just lift it off, shake it out in the yard, toss in the wash. However, some little kids have a tendency to pull tablecloths out of place.

OP, if your table already is marred by acrylic paint, I'd leave it bare and just use it that way.

We use placemats. The kids have plastic ones for lunch, but we use cloth ones for family meals. I never think of them as fancy, just basic.

I only use tablecloths on special occasions, because all that work to set a table that only lasts one meal! (I have little kids that still spill frequently). We also only have one table, so it's used constantly for every.single.thing. Meals, school, folding laundry, play doh, you name it.

Edited by Zinnia

We have one dining area in the house, no formal. We do all school and eat all meals at this table. I do use a tablecloth. Yes, it is a lot of washing. 

But here is my reason. When I don't have a tablecloth and a centerpiece on the table, it becomes a dumping ground. It just does. When the table looks nice between meals, people put things away, me included. So it is worth the extra washing. 

And I use vinyl cloths a lot too that can be just wiped down for day to day, and just put a cloth one on for company. Sometimes. But vinyl wears out and gets thrown away. And inbetween buying a new one, I just use cloth. I use cloth napkins, cloth diapers, etc. so I constantly have a load going. It isn't a big deal to me. It is just my habit. 

• Like 2

I feel the same way. Plastic placemats need to be wiped down after every single meal, which drives me nuts, and for some reason, all the fabric ones I've bought warp in the washer/dryer, so they're a ton of work to maintain  :glare: Tablecloths can just be shaken out and thrown in the wash. I do like to cover the table because it's old and scarred and bumpy from spills and leaks and accidentally left-behind popsicles.

That said, I only own one casual tablecloth at the moment because our table is a big square, and it is virtually impossible to find tablecloths that fit 60' x 60' square and still leave enough overhang, and that don't cost $75 each. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

We have a big farm table made of reclaimed wood (we got rid of our fancy dining room set and used the money to have it custom-made). I don't use tablecloths or placemats. They just seem too fussy to me. I don't understand how having to wash a large table cloth every day is easier than giving a table a few squirts of vinegar solution or Dr. Bronner's and a quick wipe! I use placemats sometimes for holidays.