Menu

Stocking Stuffer ideas?

frugalmamatx

I need ideas for things for dd10's stocking. Trying to stay away from candy / sweets as we're doing paleo, and normally that is a good half her stocking {I normally do pringles, small cereal box, candy, cookies, etc}. I don't want to put an apple / orange in as those are already our go-to snacks on paleo so it wouldn't be special, kwim?

So please - SPAM me with ideas of things for her stocking? She is at an odd stage - too big for little kid things, but not yet interested in makeup / nail polish / etc. Budget is a concern, and I need to be able to pick everything up at Walmart or Target when go this week. 

ETA: DD has nut allergies so nuts {and most pre-made paleo things} are out. 

Edited by frugalmamatx

Well, we always include coins if some sort - foreign, chocolate, silver dollars - as a remembrance of the original Nicholas story.

And an orange, because that was a real treat for the Ingall's children when we read all those stories.

Packets of hot chocolate, small boxes with something like jewelry, new personal care items like lotions, nail polishes, manicure tools, soap, deodorant, small games like story cubes, math cubes, cards and card-based games. DH adds tech stuff like ear buds, chargers, cords, batteries, and small pocket tools.

• Like 2

No candy at all?  Because my kids love when I use enjoy life chocolate chips and paint a chocolate mold.  Then I put in some almond butter and jelly, and paint over the back.  After it hardens in the freezer, it makes a great little bite of something sweet that is just barely on the candy side of candy.  I saw that first on Paleo Parents (online), but that page is down now.  If you google, there are lots of other easy treats that feel indulgent, but are still paleo.  Another favorite we have is truffles. I'm sorry I don't have a link for those either, but google should pull up some options.  If those are too much sugar, there are some pretty awesome nut and dried fruit ball recipes out there also.  

necklace or bracelet

brain teaser game (like those wooden or metal ones)

sudoku workbook or crossword puzzles

stuffed animal

crazy socks

Bag of Lego Mixels

Can of Pringles or single-serve bag of chips

Little stuffed animals (in the past)

That's about it.

ETA:  Whoops. Can't believe I missed that the OP is avoiding Pringles or I wouldn't have mentioned it.  I was just answering what we put in our stockings, which isn't much because they already have pretty much everything that is a usual go-to for stocking stuffers.

Edited by Garga

A quirky t-shirt rolled up can fill space (thinkgeek, cafepress, zazzle, redbubble...). DD12 also really likes buttons, and again, CafePress, Zazzle, and Etsy are good sources for unique ones. Does your DD like beef jerky? Or maybe something like a Hickory Farms smoked cheddar bar? Those would be Treats without being sweet.

• Like 3

We usually do:

A shower poof (fills the toe of the stocking nicely!)

a toothbrush

lip balm

nail polish

fuzzy socks

Those would work for 10. Mine are 8 & 4, so the rest may not, but we also this year have

a tsum tsum

bath crayons

bath fizzie drops

bandaids (mine love the character ones, so those become a treat)

silly putty (though Aaron's thinking putty would be a great alternative for any age)

Mine and DH's will have a candle.

Sometimes a small cute stuffed animal like a Ty can be a good filler.

magazine

art supplies - especially a mini easel and mini canvas. small paint set, brushes

tooth brush/tooth paste

hair brush and pony tails

deodorant (when my son was 10 I put a mini deodorant in his stocking.  When he wrote his thank you to grandma, he thanked her for her gift, then told her that he was so excited that he got deodorant in his stocking!!  so silly!)

whoopie cushion

paleo friendly bar, meat stick, or dried fruit?

binoculars and birding book

yarn and knitting needles and a how-to book

small jar of pickles or olives

that farty putty stuff - in the dollar section of walmart - always a hit here!

a watch

baking clay like sculpy 

bath bombs and lotion

This makes me want to run out and buy stocking stuffers!!  

Love the bath pouf and umbrella ideas!! 

We always include breakfast and snacks.  This year it's mini cereal bars, rice Krispy treats, animal crackers, and mini goldfish packets.  Older girls are getting face masks, younger children bathtub finger paint soaps.  Everyone is also getting lip balm.  

Other things we've included in years past...

mini flashlights

mini hand sanitizers

gift cards

pocket tools

Pack of playing cards, little logic type puzzles, Tenzi (a dice game), shaving cream (mine love to play in the bathtub with it, even my 11 year old!), spiced nuts, olives (again, my kids solve them, so they each get a can in their stocking lol), gum, hair stuff, nail polish, t shirt rolled up, small legs sets, wallet, fun socks, calculator, pencils, sharpies, jewelry, journal, small stuffed animal, dark chocolate for a treat, slime, stickers, photo book, disposable camera.

What about a more exotic fruit like pomegranate or guava? I just picked up a 1 lb. pack little guava fruit for my kids to try for $2.25 at Walmart Neighborhood Market.

(Oh, I see you need to shop in one trip, but you'll likely be grocery shopping again close to Christmas I presume...)

Some repeats, but my favorites:

Diary, cool writing pens, stretch gloves, wallet, watch, comfy or wacky socks, jewelry, CD, movie tickets, magazine subscription, Spirograph, herbed tea bags and honey, gum, paperback book, hair ties, electric toothbrush, special Christmas ornament, mini calendar book, lotion, fruit leather, fun knit hat (they had some emoji ones at our Walmart today), key chain, mini flashlights, jacks, iTunes or other applicable gift card.

• 2 weeks later...