Menu

Can we talk PIE? What are your favorites? Any recipes to share?

Just Kate

I always make a Texas Sheet Cake for Thanksgiving (kids favorite!), but I would also like to make a pie. Someone is already doing pumpkin and I believe there will be a peanut butter pie (not sure what that is though).

Honestly, I am NOT a fancy pie baker. I don't make my own crust, etc. But I am pretty good with desserts.

A few years ago I made a caramel apple cheesecake, but I can't find the recipe I used. It was delish.

Share your favorites! I would love some suggestions. :)

• Like 3

Chocolate pecan pie!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

One unbaked 9" pie crust. I make mine in my KA mixer. 1 stick of very cold butter, 1 1/4 C flour, 1 t. salt and ice water.

Preheat oven to 325.

Filling;

1/2 C. butter

1 C. sugar

3/4 C. light corn syrup

4 eggs, beaten

1 t. vanilla

1/4 t. salt

chocolate chips or chunks

1 1/4 C pecans (halves or chopped or some of each)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add sugar and corn syrup, cook and stir til sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Add eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix well.  Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle a few chips or chunks in where each piece of pie will be. Add pecans. ( I use chopped pecans and mix them through and then place some halves decoratively in the middle, on top.)

Bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving. 

I love apple pie too, but don't have a recipe. Apples, sugar and cinnamon, butter. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

Peanut butter pie is just what it sounds like. Sometimes there's chocolate too :)

Embarrassing as this is to admit, I really love Entemann's pumpkin pie. Other pumpkin pies, bought or homemade, are good... but I love theirs and will happily eat a whole pie every single day.

When I was a child, my grandmother used to give me sugar pie, and that was delish.

for thanksgiving - pie

we have/have-had

multiple pumpkin.  (it's traditional friday breakfast)

chess tarts

apple  (various types of apples.  2ds's current favorite is  jazz.)

cherry  (we grow our own.  1ds likes them.)

pecan

lemon merignue

key lime

mincemeat (dh and sil have no competition)

our favorite here is blackberry.  blackberries are considered somewhat of a delicacy - and people do not generally share their favorite picking spots.  (preferably on the other side of a freeway from your house).  sugar and cornstarch vary with each batch of berries.  commercially available berries aren't the same.

dh will gladly make a pumpkin for dudeling if we're having blackberry.  he doesn't like it, so it's more for us.

• Like 1

S'mores pie is without a doubt my family's favorite. It's soooooo good!

My favorite fruit pie is "wassail pie," which is a spiced cranberry-apple. It tastes just like Christmastime!

I'm totally making one of those s'mores pies tonight, thanks to this :D

My classic that everyone begs for is my maple pecan pie. It's the pioneer woman pecan pie with extra vanilla and s teaspoon of maple flavoring, along with maybe a tablespoon of molasses. It's just absolutely phenomenal.

This week is traditionally pie week for us. A different pie every day (unless it's something like today where we ate at a German restaurant and the meal came with strudel that we took to go). 

Our favorites: 

Door County cherry

peanut butter- (vanilla custard filling topped w a peanut butter/powdered sugar blend, topped w meringue. )

chocolate chess pie

Alton Brown's lemon meringue

French silk

pecan

caramel apple

• Like 2

This week is traditionally pie week for us. A different pie every day (unless it's something like today where we ate at a German restaurant and the meal came with strudel that we took to go).

Our favorites:

Door County cherry

peanut butter- (vanilla custard filling topped w a peanut butter/powdered sugar blend, topped w meringue. )

chocolate chess pie

Alton Brown's lemon meringue

French silk

pecan

caramel apple

I'd weigh a million pounds and die of sugar shock, but I think that's such a fun tradition. My family would love it if I did a pie week around a holiday since I don't usually do baking aside from a dessert for thanksgiving with everyone.

I'd weigh a million pounds and die of sugar shock, but I think that's such a fun tradition. My family would love it if I did a pie week around a holiday since I don't usually do baking aside from a dessert for thanksgiving with everyone.

It was hard to find one or two desserts that everyone liked so someone always felt slighted on Thanksgiving Day. So we started Pie Week and everyone chose a favorite (there are six of us) and that way everyone was able to feel special.  And now most of us like all the pies we make. 

Sugar overload for sure! But such a treat since we are pretty careful with our diet most of the time. 

This week we have two kids home and our niece and nephew are here visiting- I'll be sad when it's just me and dh and our Pie Week tradition ends. 

• Like 1

I want that s'mores pie, RIGHT NOW.

Mine is like ten minutes from being done, now that the filling has cooled and won't mess up the whipped cream.

The spoon is yummo!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Anyone have a peanut butter pie recipe that doesn't use coolwhip? Yuck.

Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with 1/2 cup peanut butter and set aside

custard: 

1/4 c corn starch

2/3 c sugar

1/4 t salt

2 c milk

3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)

Combine custard ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until thick. 

Then add 2 T butter and 1 t vanilla. 

Pour into baked pie crust and top with 3/4 of the peanut butter/powdered sugar mix

Make meringue by adding a pinch of cream of tartar and 2 T of sugar to reserved whites and beating until stiff peaks form. Top pie and sprinkle with the rest of the pb/sugar mixture. Bake 375 for 10 minutes. Let totally cool before eating. 

No cool whip.g

• Like 2

A family favorite here is French Coconut Pie. In fact, a couple of years ago, this one was cleaned out, pecan was second, and the pumpkin was hardly touched. Everybody likes the others, but this was the one they ate first. It's nice at Easter, as well. Or anytime.  :drool5:  I have large, deep pie pans (Pyrex anniversary plates), so I double the recipe for those, and have to bake approx. 45 minutes. 

French Coconut Pie

1 1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk, so use the substitute based on 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 T vinegar or lemon juice)

3 eggs

1 t. vanilla

1/2 stick melted butter

1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup flaked coconut

Mix and pour in pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until firm and lightly brown. Refrigerate after cool. Tastes better cold than fresh from the oven. These freeze really well, and just take out to thaw before serving.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 3

A family favorite here is French Coconut Pie. In fact, a couple of years ago, this one was cleaned out, pecan was second, and the pumpkin was hardly touched. Everybody likes the others, but this was the one they ate first. It's nice at Easter, as well. Or anytime.  :drool5:  I have large, deep pie pans (Pyrex anniversary plates), so I double the recipe for those, and have to bake approx. 45 minutes. 

French Coconut Pie

1 1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk, so use the substitute based on 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 T vinegar or lemon juice)

3 eggs

1 t. vanilla

1/2 stick melted butter

1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup flaked coconut

Mix and pour in pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until firm and lightly brown. Refrigerate after cool. Tastes better cold than fresh from the oven. These freeze really well, and just take out to thaw before serving.

I used to work for a bakery that made French coconut pie and we sold it by the slice and I LOVED eating it super cold. It was the best!!!  We didn't use flaked coconut, but rather a desiccated coconut like is in coconut macaroons. Man...now I want one. Might have to make your recipe- thanks for sharing. 

• Like 3

We usually make apple, pecan, and chocolate cream.  All America's Test Kitchen recipes.

pecan pie--https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/1228-perfect-pecan-pie

The chocolate is my favorite--we make it gluten free by using Glutino oreos for the crust. It's really awesome.  This looks like it:  http://www.dartmouth.edu/~patl/chocCreamPie.shtml

If you do make it, we don't use cheap unsweetened chocolate--we use Ghirardelli.  

Their crust recipe with vodka in it is the best. It is so easy to work with. The other thing that we do that helps with the crust is we buy cheap shortening that still has some animal fat (the Kroger Value Shortening is like this). The "modern" shortenings are all vegetable and they do not work as well. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12852-foolproof-pie-dough  Note: this is high proof vodka that you would get from a liquor store. If you use the lower proof from the grocery you need to reduce the water accordingly.

Edited by cintinative

We usually make apple, pecan, and chocolate cream.  All America's Test Kitchen recipes.

I've never pre baked a crust when the filling needs to be baked...do you pre bake the crust for your pecan pie? I want to try the ATK recipe but wonder if the crust is going to be overcooked.  The shell cooks for 25 minutes PLUS the time it cooks with the filling. 

Today is my dedicated pie making day.  

Pumpkin (actually a blue hubbard squash) 

Pecan with Lyle's Golden Syrup

Apple with a Cheddar Crust

If I have time and am feeling ambitious I will also make a Sugar Cream Pie and if I am super crazy ambitious I'll add another pie Sweet Potato (has always been on my list, but I already made sweet potato casserole).

Baking the cornbread now for stuffing.  Next up rolls.

What's your favorite store or name brand for cherries? I love cherry pie, but I've only ever used ones from our sour cherry tree when I was growing up. Do you buy frozen ones or in a jar? Ă°Å¸â€™

I use canned tart cherries.

Here's my recipe...

3 cans tart cherries

2 TBSP cornstarch

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1/4 teaspoon of almond extract

A drop or two of red food coloring (optional)

Drain juice of cherries into saucepan. Set cherries aside.

Whisk cornstarch into juice.

Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken.

Remove from heat long enough to add sugar. Return to heat until sugar dissolves.

Once again remove from heat and stir in cherries.

Add almond extract and food coloring.

Pour into an unbaked pie shell.

Bake 55 minutes at 400 degrees. I always place the pie pan on a cookie sheet in case of bubbling over spills.

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Back in my young married days, we lived in on a farm far from town. When storms would roll through, they would sound even worse because of our metal roof. To calm my nerves, I baked pies while the thunder rolled. With a gas oven I could bake even when the power went out.

This was one of my favorites--I named it Storm Clouds Over Head Pie. It won a contest in a local newspaper a few years ago. :) It's an old recipe that's a cross between a chess pie and a pecan pie.

Storm Clouds Over Head Pie

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup white sugar

1 Tbls flour

2 eggs

2 Tbls milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

1 unbaked pie shell

Mix sugars and flour

Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter.

Fold in nuts.

Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 375 degrees for 40+ minutes until center is just set.

• Like 2

My aunt introduced our family to the concept of having both whipped cream and vanilla ice cream on pumpkin pie.  She is one smart lady! :)  (We use the Libby's pumpkin back of the can recipe....nothing fancy.)

I'm not much of a pie fan, but I do like Banoffee Pie. I made it one Thanksgiving and it was a hit.  It's bananas, caramel, and whipped cream.  My recipe looked a lot like this: https://www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/8/Classic-Banoffee-Pie-Recipe

There used to be a bakery near where I lived in Nashville that made an incredible chocolate chess pie.  I wish I had that recipe!

• Like 1

I've never pre baked a crust when the filling needs to be baked...do you pre bake the crust for your pecan pie? I want to try the ATK recipe but wonder if the crust is going to be overcooked.  The shell cooks for 25 minutes PLUS the time it cooks with the filling. 

yes, we always prebake as per the recipe. You pour the filling into the warm crust.  It turns out great!!

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I'm a galette kind of girl. This recipe for a Rustic Cardamom Apple Galette with Marscapone Maple Sauce takes this humble dessert to a new level. 

And this recipe for a Salted Caramel Apple Galette is truly decadent.

I like to mix in dried sour cherries with my apples if I'm making a plain apple galette.

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 3

I used to work for a bakery that made French coconut pie and we sold it by the slice and I LOVED eating it super cold. It was the best!!!  We didn't use flaked coconut, but rather a desiccated coconut like is in coconut macaroons. Man...now I want one. Might have to make your recipe- thanks for sharing. 

You're welcome.   :001_smile: Yes, it is SO good cold. When we were overseas, I used desiccated coconut, but I haven't seen that in stores here. I usually use either frozen or dried (but more like the flaked than the crumbs), but my mom used to use the sweetened kind. It's good with any of them.

• Like 1

Not much of a pie Baker. Family favorite, chocolate pudding pie.

Graham cracker crust

2 packages of instant pudding (I usually make a chocolate layer and a vanilla layer)

Whip cream

If I am being fancy I will put silver sprinkles on top right before I serve. You can't sprinkle earlier or they sink/dissolve in the whipped cream.

My favorites are apple pie and my granny's chocolate cream/meringue pie. I'd like to trying making a Banoffee pie http://www.melskitchencafe.com/banoffee-pie sometime even though I don't really like those flavor combos, I think my family would love it.

I used to be intimidated by making crust but it's really pretty simple . I use the Easy Pie Dough recipe from Serious Eats http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/how-to-make-pie-dough-step-by-step.html I've also used the Serious Eats Apple Pie recipe a few times, but I don't think its fabulous. In my opinion, it needs some tweaking (more spices added for flavor, apples cooked a bit more before adding to crust as I like a softer apple)

Edited by meena

You know, the pie-baking muse hasn't been around this T-day. I'm making mini cheesecakes and a chocolate bundt cake, and I have a store-bought pumpkin pie for tomorrow. It seems that I'm the only one who eats much pumpkin pie and I can get a nice small one at the store--not worth making homemade. The cake is a new recipe for me from The Grand Central Bakery cookbook. It's cooling now. The cheesecakes are a standard cheesecake recipe that I like with a sour cream topping, but I'm going to try to make them in muffin tins for individual servings. We'll see how that goes. When the pie-baking muse is around, my repertoire includes:

French cherry pie (cream cheese/whipped cream base with canned cherries on top)

crumb-topped sour cream apple pie

chocolate cream pie

peanut butter pie

chocolate angel pie

mud pie

This is the cake recipe.

http://www.sweettalksweets.com/2010/04/i-get-by-with-little-help-from.html

If you put a 12-cup recipe in a 10-cup pan, it overflows a bit and you get to cut the top level with the pan, cutting off a significant portion for tasting! And it turns out that there was plenty of ganache, so you can drizzle some on your tasters. That's how I already know that this cake is fabulous. So delicious! We'll have it with vanilla ice cream at our church pie social tonight. Chocolate cake will balance out all of that pie beautifully.

We usually make apple, pecan, and chocolate cream. All America's Test Kitchen recipes.

The chocolate is my favorite--we make it gluten free by using Glutino oreos for the crust. It's really awesome. This looks like it: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~patl/chocCreamPie.shtml

If you do make it, we don't use cheap unsweetened chocolate--we use Ghirardelli.

Their crust recipe with vodka in it is the best. It is so easy to work with. The other thing that we do that helps with the crust is we buy cheap shortening that still has some animal fat (the Kroger Value Shortening is like this). The "modern" shortenings are all vegetable and they do not work as well. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12852-foolproof-pie-dough Note: this is high proof vodka that you would get from a liquor store. If you use the lower proof from the grocery you need to reduce the water accordingly.

I sometimes use real lard, from pastured pork. Yummmm! Flakiest pie crust ever.

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

We all loved it, really good! And I had a slice last night and another this morning, both chilled, but the texture and flavor were both far superior this morning as you said they would be. Like, worlds apart. Much more blended flavors and a more truffle like texture (last night it was more like a mousse).

My kids LOVED it.

Back in my young married days, we lived in on a farm far from town. When storms would roll through, they would sound even worse because of our metal roof. To calm my nerves, I baked pies while the thunder rolled. With a gas oven I could bake even when the power went out.

This was one of my favorites--I named it Storm Clouds Over Head Pie. It won a contest in a local newspaper a few years ago. :) It's an old recipe that's a cross between a chess pie and a pecan pie.

Storm Clouds Over Head Pie

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup white sugar

1 Tbls flour

2 eggs

2 Tbls milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped

1 unbaked pie shell

Mix sugars and flour

Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter.

Fold in nuts.

Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 375 degrees for 40+ minutes until center is just set.

Wow! It's a real live Thundercake story! This is so awesome!

• Like 3

I just made 2 apple, 1 cherry, and 1 blueberry. Apple would be my favorite. I cut the sugar in half this time in all of them, so we'll see how that turns out.

I'm using cherries and blueberries that we picked this past summer.

Edited by Heidi
  • Like 1

You already have Pumpkin Pie.  I also like Hot Apple Pie. We live in Colombia, lots of cakes here, but I cannot remember the last time I ate a piece of pie. Sounds really really good to me, as I type this. I also remember Hot Apple Strudel.   And then there is Pie a la Mode and I am an Ice Cream lover, so that is also good. Chocolate Pie.  

• Like 1

My aunt introduced our family to the concept of having both whipped cream and vanilla ice cream on pumpkin pie. She is one smart lady! :) (We use the Libby's pumpkin back of the can recipe....nothing fancy.)

I'm not much of a pie fan, but I do like Banoffee Pie. I made it one Thanksgiving and it was a hit. It's bananas, caramel, and whipped cream. My recipe looked a lot like this: https://www.carnation.co.uk/Recipes/8/Classic-Banoffee-Pie-Recipe

There used to be a bakery near where I lived in Nashville that made an incredible chocolate chess pie. I wish I had that recipe!

I always make the Libby's can recipe for Pumpkin pie, and that is what my mother always made. I LOVE that pie! I don't love any other pumpkin pie so far.