Menu

How do people really get jobs?

pinkmint

Don't get me wrong. I'm in a better place. If we qualify for food stamps the rest of our lives it's not for lack of always trying to make things better and doing the work in front of us the best we can. 

But I have to admit it's hard not to be in a valley of disappointment sometimes. DH hasn't ever heard back from that interview back in August and actually recently had another one where the outcome isn't looking good. 

Is it really just who you know and how educated you are (DH has no college) ? Is there basically no point to applying to jobs posted online like they say? Is the fact that my DH is quiet (but hard working) natured basically a disability in the job market? Does the fact that he never got braces (but "needs" them by any standards to look "normal"... we can't afford them fyi) affecting his impression on employers even though that stuff supposedly doesn't matter? 

Edited by pinkmint

It is normal to have to apply to many, many jobs before landing one. It is hard not to get discouraged I know, but not giving up is important.

Dh has sent many applications from which he heard nothing and had many interviews that did not result in an offer. He's college educated and had braces as a kid.

He does get discouraged. He'll stop applying for awhile, then eventually regroup and try again. He hates the job he is in so he is motivated to get a new one.

Edited by maize
  • Like 8

Around here, those who can't seem to break into the white collar world, become construction workers (skilled or crew), warehouse or factory workers, FedEx workers, school custodians, hospital employees, and truck drivers. Some of these jobs will pay up to $30,000yr, which is enough for a Midwestern family IF both parents are working. Truck drivers and skilled labor make more like $50,000 which is enough for a frugal family here.

Has your dh considered trucking? The training is fast and the pay is good.

• Like 5

Right place, right time with right skill set and positive referrals. The market for unskilled labor here is low. Those jobs are filled by job crews from other countries here on a work permit. High schoolers are doing better learning a trade skill, then going into business for themselves. Interior painting, laying stonework, etc.

My dh was offered a job a few weeks ago. Small biz owner who cant find anyone with the skill set, knew he could not afford to pay market wages, and is looking for a retiree who is on pension and has health care via the former employer or SS. We just laughed, as a skilled worker dh can go into business for himself and do better.

I think, for me, I've had to apply for jobs outside of my ideals. I worked part time as a cashier at a bakery and a second part time job coaching gymnastics when we first moved here. I wanted to teach. Then I took a job as a para-educator (I was a licensed teacher, so it was a step down from what I could do) and kept the part time gym job to make ends meet. 

My current job started with me only working it a few hours a week as a side job and then slowly increased to full time. 

I can't remember if your DH is currently unemployed, or looking for a new job while he's currently working. If he's unemployed, the post office and UPS will be hiring a ton of seasonal workers very soon and that might be a good way to get in to one of those companies. One of my friends worked the overnight shift at the post office during the Christmas season a few years back. It was hard work, but she made decent money and was able to parlay that job into another job once the holidays were over.

• Like 1

Dh and I have both gotten most of our "career" type jobs through agencies.  I'm an executive assistant so some of mine have been temp to perm type things.  He's a pharmaceutical chemist (management level) and he actually gets cold calls from agencies sometimes.  Both of us got our most recent positions from resumes we had sent months, or even years, before to agencies.  We popped up when they were searching for a specific need.

My current very part time position (I teach afterschool enrichment programs) I found through Facebook.  My county has a "Moms in _______ Job  Board" group where people post positions they know about.  These are usually the types of jobs where you message or call the business owner to talk to them about the job.

I do think it has a lot to do with who you know. I'm not sure what type of job your husband is looking for. I am involved in most of the hiring for my company. We have about 80 employees but they work together in groups of 7-10. If a current employee recommends someone they know to work with them I'm pretty certain that person is a good worker and will get along in that group. They also have a built in reference of someone I already know and trust.

For the record though, these are warehouse, carpenter and laborer type jobs.

We've also had some luck with temp agencies. If your DH hasn't tried that he might look into it. Although I think your DH has a job? We have recently hired three people full time from their temp positions. It's less risky for us and the temp company is helping screen candidates.

Online is hard. There are just so many candidates that apply that it's hard to stand out.

I am sorry it's so hard! I hope something works out soon.

• Like 1

If there are plenty of jobs and few workers wanting those jobs, then not much matters.  It's reasonably easy to get hired IF you don't turn folks off.

But that's rarely the case for most jobs.

We've found networking to be the #1 best way to get an "in" on a job.  Why?  Many employers have oodles of folks to choose from and want to pick someone who plays nicely with others, can be independent and/or follow directions as necessary, will be on time & reliable, etc, but those are all difficult qualities to figure out from an application and/or interview.  When someone knows someone and can vouch for them, it really helps.  Really, really helps.

Can you expand your circle of IRL acquaintances?  Go to a larger place of worship?  Join a gym/club/group of volunteers?  (These can be varied from playdates with other moms to groups supporting a cause.)  Sports?  Pretty much anything can provide a network as all of us have difference special interests and loves.

College is even often more important for the networking than the degree TBH.

If in doubt about presentation, etc, there are places that offer interview tips and skills ideas/thoughts.  Don't think these are "just" for the downtrodden who can't figure life out, so "normal" people ought to skip them.  (For some reason, many people feel this way - not sure why.)  My tippy top middle son just went to/through some mock interviews to prepare himself for his MSTP med school interviews and thought they were very worthy of his time.  They're tools we all can use as needed.

Network, network, network - and get tips on anything individual from folks who can see things PLUS are willing to tell you pros and cons (many of our friends will be biased).

Best wishes to you - don't give up.

• Like 2

Yes my Dh works full time already. Actually more like 50 hrs a week average. He's been at his job over 3 years and applies to jobs as time allows.

I guess I should re-title my post "How do less-skilled sole-providers who already have a family to support get better paying jobs than they already have"

Lol.

The truck driving thing is certainly an idea. It doesn't sound fun for me to have dh be away from home overnight for long stretches but I will think about it.

• Like 2

Yes my Dh works full time already. Actually more like 50 hrs a week average. He's been at his job over 3 years and applies to jobs as time allows.

I guess I should re-title my post "How do less-skilled sole-providers who already have a family to support get better paying jobs than they already have"

Lol.

The truck driving thing is certainly an idea. It doesn't sound fun for me to have dh be away from home overnight for long stretches but I will think about it.

You can network too - see where there might be job openings worth applying to (via your contacts) and letting him know.

With regards to truck driving - my nephew was able to get a milk truck run.  He had daily trips, but was home every evening.  There seems to be a decent need for truck drivers in many places.  He had to take a course (expensive - my dad paid for it) to learn to drive and get his license.  That might be the hard part unless you can check around to see if there are options from your state or any companies that will cover it.

Lol.

pinkmint, I don't often chime in, but I follow your posts and think of you often.

Have you guys considered UPS?  My BIL worked his way up through UPS, with no college, and did very well.  

It's not much of an idea, but it's something.  The truck driving idea prompted it.

• Like 4

With regards to truck driving - my nephew was able to get a milk truck run.  He had daily trips, but was home every evening.  There seems to be a decent need for truck drivers in many places.  He had to take a course (expensive - my dad paid for it) to learn to drive and get his license.  That might be the hard part unless you can check around to see if there are options from your state or any companies that will cover it.

Getting milk runs is often easier if you already have experience as a truck driver, since those day jobs tend to be in higher demand. When I became a truck driver (in 2008), some companies would train you on the job, IF you already had steady work experience in some other job (like your DH does, though I'm not sure what their minimum number of years required was). I didn't qualify, so I did the 4 week truck driving course at the local CC at the end of 2007. The good news is that I got the very first job I applied to after graduating. That said, many truck driving companies have very high turnover rates - the company I got a job at had a turnover rate of over 100% (as in, most people left within a year - some may have found better companies to work for, but others just left the occupation altogether). There's also the issue of self-driving cars... I have no idea how long it'll be before truck driving goes the way of the dodo (but, it probably won't be a life-long career for your DH).

My wife got a job at Dish installing satellite TV dishes. IIRC, it was pretty easy to get - just apply, take a little aptitude test, and she was in.

Finally, in mid-2012 my wife got a job as an email systems engineer by working on an open source email program, and getting noticed by a manager at a company that does email migrations. So, he asked her to apply, which she did, and eventually got hired (HR was super slow). BUT, she had been programming since she was 12yo. So, she doesn't have a degree, but she had experience (albeit not paid).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I second the truck driving. I know someone who does it and he does well for his family. He is sometimes gone overnight but not a lot. The hours are kind of odd but it works out ok because it means he is home during the weekdays some and able to spend good quality family time. I believe it is something that with seniority comes ability to get on better routes, etc. He works for a large company and has excellent benefits as well.

Aside from that I do think it sometimes just requires applying to a lot of jobs before something hits. My dh is highly educated and has a good job. When he was out of work it seemed like he applied to tons of jobs before something hit. My 16 yo applied to tons of jobs before he got a call too. It seems to be a numbers game sometimes. Very discouraging and difficult when he is also working full time.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry it has been so hard.  My ds recently sent out over 300 resumes resulting in two job offers.  He picked the bigger, more solid company that appeared to have lots of room for him to grow.  It was for a job that was probably a little below his experience.  He didn't know anyone there.  (He does have a recent college degree.)  I think if you do know people, it can go a lot faster.  Generally employers would rather not have to sift through hundreds of resumes if they don't have to.  If someone they trust highly recommends someone, that's much easier.  

We know of several people in our area who do not have college degrees who started low in a big company, and gradually worked their way up, and are doing very well now.   But I also know people (also without college degrees) who got rather menial jobs in smaller, family run companies, and who quite quickly earned the trust of the family and ended up in a more supervisory position.

So I guess that's what I'd suggest, is to not be afraid of starting low (below what you think you could do) in a company that seems to have the opportunity to move up.  I would think that if you're a hard worker with integrity that would be possible, hopefully.

• Like 1

It is normal to have to apply to many, many jobs before landing one. It is hard not to get discouraged I know, but not giving up is important.

Dh has sent many applications from which he heard nothing and had many interviews that did not result in an offer. He's college educated and had braces as a kid.

:iagree:

Absolutely agree. My DH (highly educated, doctoral degree in STEM field) sent out 100 job applications in different countries before landing the job he has now.

• Like 3

Lol.

Trucking is not all over the road. My Dad worked for years, going between Cincinnati, Louisville, and Indianapolis, home every night. It depends on what's moving in your area and how far it needs to be moved!

Some places will have cheaper training than others, some over the road outfits will pay while you get your CDL if you'll make a contract to work for them for a year. In that case, it would make sense to try over-the-road for a year, and then look for home-by-night jobs once he's got experience. Trucking is an industry that's worth the research. It's not always what we assume.

Of course, like everything else, depends on the area whether this or any job is possible.

There are three concepts that you might eventually need to put back on the table:

1. Double income (move to better school district)

2. Move to where there are more jobs and lower COL

3. Increase skills

• Like 3

Word of mouth. My DS' employer who runs a small business only hires people she knows through acquaintances. Networking is key. He needs to tell everybody that he is looking.

Specific skill. May require additional education.

Starting very entry level and working up the ladder. A friend opened a restaurant and cannot find reliable staff with good work ethic; the turnover rate is ridiculous. He would be happy to have employees who show up for work on time, actually work instead of playing on their phones, and don't steal.

Willing to relocate. If there are no jobs where you are, move. May involve long distance relationship for a while. My DH camped on a mattress in his boss' basement for several years and came home on weekends only.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Lol.

My DH works in the construction industry as a laborer. His college education is for something pretty different so has no bearing on the industry he is in.

There is a real shortage of good workers in the trades right now.  I can't tell you how many times he's come home frustrated with the newer hires because of their lack of a work ethic- they spend time on their phones or do a job as lazily as they can to get more hours in.  Every construction company is hiring- and they don't pay poorly to start.  DH will frequently get people from other companies asking him if he's looking for a change in employment because they need good workers.

Every once in a while he will entertain one of these offers, but after 12 years with the same company, other pastures are not looking so green anymore to him.  Most companies will train the right person to start, so if your DH is looking for a change, this might be a great time to make the leap to something he's never done before.

Also, if he's applying for one job at a time, that's slow going and not certain to bear fruit.  He should have multiple applications going out.  As the person at home, if you have time you can help him out by keeping the resume updated and fresh looking, and also spend time searching out different job hunting websites looking for jobs for him to consider.  

ETA: Since so many people mentioned truck driving, I thought I'd put out there that truck drivers are one area in construction is always short on manpower.  DH frequently will get put on truck driving duty- in his field that means he's the guy who goes back and forth from the job site to the quarry or the dump site all day.  It can be repetitive work, but it pays very well.  The CDL is not difficult to obtain if you can get the training for it.   The thing with a CDL is that you have to be a good (and SAFE) driver in the first place.  The biggest reason there is a shortage within the construction industry is that there is no tolerance for OWI's or DUI's.  One instance of getting pulled over and the license is suspended, and now the company scrambles to find someone else to drive that dump truck for six months.  Anyway, if truck driving could be a possibility, look to the construction industry versus an OTR truck driver.  Though, there are OTR companies who only drive locally and have people home every day.

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 2

Just as an example of the "luck" involved.  When my husband moved here he got a job within 2 weeks.  Through a series of just flat out unpredictably good circumstances it happened.  He was in the right place at the right time.  However, when he graduated from uni in Germany he probably sent out 100 resumes and it took gee probably 20 interviews before he got something.  And he had a degree in electrical engineering.  Some of the jobs they offered in this realm were completely stupid too.  Total cut throat you can remain on the job if you perform acts of Zeus for a year straight.  Like we don't officially hire anyone, but will let you sell your soul on the job to see if you make the cut. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm in a better place. If we qualify for food stamps the rest of our lives it's not for lack of always trying to make things better and doing the work in front of us the best we can.

But I have to admit it's hard not to be in a valley of disappointment sometimes. DH hasn't ever heard back from that interview back in August and actually recently had another one where the outcome isn't looking good.

Is it really just who you know and how educated you are (DH has no college) ? Is there basically no point to applying to jobs posted online like they say? Is the fact that my DH is quiet (but hard working) natured basically a disability in the job market? Does the fact that he never got braces (but "needs" them by any standards to look "normal"... we can't afford them fyi) affecting his impression on employers even though that stuff supposedly doesn't matter?

There is plenty of evidence that good-looking, well educated, healthy appearing, normal weight, nonsmoking, and socially outgoing people get higher paying jobs on average. Connections have been the most important since the beginning of time. Therefore, all these things do matter if one is looking to better himself financially. It is what it is. Edited by Minniewannabe

Getting milk runs is often easier if you already have experience as a truck driver, since those day jobs tend to be in higher demand. 

My nephew got in rather early via networking.  My parents were both teachers in the community, so know oodles of people.

He ended up not staying with the job though (sigh).  That's a "him" problem and not a reflection of the job itself.  He also "failed" at construction afterward.  Each time he loses a job it becomes far more difficult for him to get another.

Networking can definitely help get a job, but personality, etc, keeps a job.  It sounds like the OP's dh is fine in that area, so getting the job is key.

FYI just stating my concerns. Anyone can address them if they like. Not shooting down ideas.

As far as becoming a dual income family, it's not completely off the table at some point but for a number of reasons we'd prefer to not have to take on that major change right now. 

Moving to a lower COL / better job area is what we thought we did 4 years ago when we moved to TX from the Pacific Northwest. Things didn't exactly go as hoped. Here we are. We drained DH's previous retirement fund to do it and are wary of doing it again. 

Working his way up in a company with lots of places to go is also what we thought DH was doing. DH's company is quite large. He has been flat stuck for almost 4 years. 

Construction and preferrably local truck driving do sound interesting for sure. I am going to research that. 

Although having to get into debt to get somewhere is not a nice thought for us. We are already (stupidly) in over our head in debt from years ago. 

There is plenty of evidence that good-looking, well educated, healthy appearing, normal weight, nonsmoking, and socially outgoing people get higher paying jobs on average. Connections have been the most important since the beginning of time. Therefore, all these things do matter if one is looking to better himself financially. It is what it is.

I believe it. It makes sense. This is the world we live in. 

My DH is not overweight, and thanks to my thrifting skills dresses sharp business casual. He is/ always has been clean living, extremely responsible and has not gotten fired that I know of. Hopefully those things still count. 

• Like 7

Can you make an appt with someone at your local community college to discuss adult educational opportunities?  CDL might be one of them - or you might find something else he prefers.  You can do the legwork - just be honest letting them know why it's you and not him (he's working).

Check their site online - all the info you need might be there.  Be sure you get accurate stats about job placement with salary ideas before starting anything, but CC's tend to be better at letting folks know that than higher cost For Profit places.

Various medical type of jobs (technicians) might interest him too.

See what options are there for paying for things.

My nephew got in rather early via networking.  My parents were both teachers in the community, so know oodles of people.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying a lot of those places explicitly require 1 year (or even more years) of work experience as a truck driver. Also, starting out, you're not likely to make the $50k mentioned upthread. The first year you're more likely to be the $30-something-k range.

Anyway, back to OP - what kind of things does DH enjoy doing?

• Like 1

FYI just stating my concerns. Anyone can address them if they like. Not shooting down ideas.

As far as becoming a dual income family, it's not completely off the table at some point but for a number of reasons we'd prefer to not have to take on that major change right now. 

Moving to a lower COL / better job area is what we thought we did 4 years ago when we moved to TX from the Pacific Northwest. Things didn't exactly go as hoped. Here we are. We drained DH's previous retirement fund to do it and are wary of doing it again. 

Working his way up in a company with lots of places to go is also what we thought DH was doing. DH's company is quite large. He has been flat stuck for almost 4 years. 

Construction and preferrably local truck driving do sound interesting for sure. I am going to research that. 

Although having to get into debt to get somewhere is nt a nice thought for us. We are already (stupidly) in over our head in debt from years ago. 

I'm going to jump in with a suggestion that you dh may have already tried.  He should make an appointment and talk to HR.  He should ask what he needs in order to get a promotion.  Is it education? Is it other experience? Sometimes you have to move laterally in a company before moving up. If it's education maybe there is a way the job itself will help contribute to that. 

He also may need to work on learning how to "play the game".  I know you said he's quiet and hard working, but he has to learn how to network at work.  

Sorry he feels stuck.  That's is frustrating.  My sister's lack of education has made it more difficult for her to move up at her job as well.  It stinks, but it is what it is.  Especially at larger companies, they want to see a degree for higher positions. 

• Like 7

I'm going to jump in with a suggestion that you dh may have already tried.  He should make an appointment and talk to HR.  He should ask what he needs in order to get a promotion.  Is it education? Is it other experience? Sometimes you have to move laterally in a company before moving up. If it's education maybe there is a way the job itself will help contribute to that. 

He also may need to work on learning how to "play the game".  I know you said he's quiet and hard working, but he has to learn how to network at work.  

Sorry he feels stuck.  That's is frustrating.  My sister's lack of education has made it more difficult for her to move up at her job as well.  It stinks, but it is what it is.  Especially at larger companies, they want to see a degree for higher positions. 

I am going to agree with this. If he is a good worker in a large company and has been there 4 years, maybe there are opportunities there he can explore more. Sometimes you need to remind your current employers you are there and willing to do more. Most companies are lean - people are very busy. They are not always looking where they should be to fill jobs. Or maybe they don't think he is interested in doing anything else. Our best employees who have moved up the ladder the most are ones who have come to us and told us they want to do more, they are willing to change, learn, adapt etc. If his current employer doesn't know this, they need to.

Sometimes, the current supervisor doesn't want the employee to move on - he's probably making his job easier than it would be if he had to train someone new. :huh: DH needs to go up the chain and make sure the people doing the hiring know who he is and that he is willing to do more. He would know more about his company's culture, but this is how t works in mine. 

• Like 5

I was going to suggest the same.

He can't sit around waiting for a promotion to happen. He needs to be assertive and take initiative.

Specifically he should ask about professional development opportunities, additional training, taking on greater responsibilities.

• Like 5

Pinkmint,

My local Kroger has a lot of jobs available .Before you shoot down the idea I want to let you know this particular store IS IN need of people.

They promote fast like in 6 months and I know many of the guys there who rose to dairy,produce,organic managers.

Then they rise higher.

There is a REAL need at this store.

Its a huge store and if he wants to interview I can talk to the store manager this weekend and lyk.

PLMK what your DH says,If you need more info you know where to find me.

My take (from the outside) is that networking is necessary, but reputation is EVERYTHING.  You can't get a reputation without networking, but you can network all you want without results if people don't respect you.

I don't underestimate luck - dh was handed a physical labor job from family connections.  Luck is a starting point.  His reputation throughout the industry, built little by little over the years, is what carried him up the ladder and across companies.  Most people adore him.  Those who hate him do so because they're on the wrong end of the stick, but wish he was on theirs because he does the job well.

The only alternative I see for people who are more introverted is to be INNOVATIVE.  If your personality can't win people over, your ideas need to.

I know employment doesn't always work out to be a fair give and take, but that is the general concept.  Contribute to get.  Contribute more to get more.  What the "more" might be can vary.

• Like 4

Sometimes, the current supervisor doesn't want the employee to move on - he's probably making his job easier than it would be if he had to train someone new.  

I saw this more than once in my working days. Most supervisors/managers are concerned about their little kingdom. HR tends to be more concerned about the company as a whole.

• Like 1

My dh got his current job in the manufacturing industry by talking to someone at the local workforce center. They made a phone call and got him in as a minimum wage temp. He worked his butt off and got hired as a full-time employee. He kept working his butt off some more, learning as many different machines as he could, for the next four years. Now he makes decent pay and he pretty much has his pick of which department he works in.

Most of the companies around here do temp-to-hire. There are a lot of manufacturing jobs, and they pay pretty well once you get in and have a few years with them, but you have to be willing to live on minimum wage during the temp part. Knowing someone definitely helps, too. I could go to work where dh works any time I want without having to go through a temp agency first just because I'm married to dh. There are a lot of married couples working there. It's not really fair, but that's how it is.

Lol.

As far as I know there are day routes as well.

Delivery driving may be another option. Pharmacies hire people to deliver to medical facilities after hours.

I think the hard thing when you're working many hours already & have a family is that if you want to move up, or even sideways, you still have to be demonstrating a commitment to learning & growth which means you have to invest money &/or time in these things. 

Esp in areas (either geographic or employment sectors) where competition is tight, you have to be able to distinguish yourself.

That might mean taking courses etc but it can also be something like reading some current books or articles from the field and being able to bring up some topics in interviews, dropping the right phrases and terms. Libraries have these books so it's not necessarily a financial expenditure. Following twitter users in your area can also quickly get you up to speed on whatever it is they're talking about, just enough so you can drop a phrase or two into an interview or a cold call. 

Whatever the field is, there's always some bs talk using very specific jargon & just showing that you're aware of it & keeping a tab on it can set you off from the herd of people applying for the same position. 

Otherwise, sadly ime it's nepotism & who you know. Network, network, network. Tell everyone you're thinking about making a move, looking for new opportunities, considering a change. Keep it positive (not "i hate my job" but "open to new opportunites & challenges!") 

• Like 3

Depending on the field, word of mouth is key. It's all about networking, for better or worse. So if there is a local club/organization/etc that deals with your husband's field, he needs to join and attend events and meetings. My husband is in cyber security. He attends monthly meeting for security people in our area. They meet at a local bar, talk shop, my husband brings locks and lock picks to play with, and they network and talk about open positions, etc. Conferences are another place he meets people and gets job offers. 

• Like 4

Does your dh have a LinkedIn account?  My dh does, and he is contacted many times per month by companies around the country that want him to apply for their job openings.  There's no guarantee of employment, but it's a place to start.

I know a number of men who have high-paying jobs, despite having very crooked teeth.  It's all about the skill set.  What value does your dh bring to his company?  Help him figure out what that is before he goes to talk to HR or puts his profile up on LinkedIn. 

• Like 1

if he has specific skills - there are headhunters, even for non-degreed positions.

you will need to search them out according to what his skills are, and get on their lists.  especially with agencies local to you.  they hear about more job openings than will ever appear on public job sites.

We have been really lucky to have never been without employment, not a single day, since my husband graduated college (he had a job lined up and we have left one on a Friday and began another on a Monday every time since then).

Honestly, each one of these jobs was applied for the old fashioned way. Just a good resume and interview process. The only time any sort of networking helped was the first one - DH was a local hire in a state where that is incentivized, and he made a point to work in a related field from high school summers on through each college break to gain work experience with a well respected local employer, unlike most of his classmates. So that initial job offer was secure pending his graduation.

Since then though, no social media or foot traffic. He just applies of submits bids on his side business as needed and we have always had plenty of interest in addition to the steady day job. His resume and portfolio are extremely good for his field which helps.

Now if he were breaking into a new field for financial reasons (which we might do in the next few years) that would involve a lot of self development - the field is one he works with but needs to seek much more training to pursue a second career in it, so that's time and money we are spending over the next few years to get him there. Contacts in his current field are also absolutely critical because he'd be consulting with them on a highly specialized platform (ANCIS) that would combine his current engineering and programming chops with his expanded dynamic fluid modeling chops to offer a service that very few people can do. Cool beans right? But it's taken three years of working with the program in his current job and probably another three of actively accumulating specialized training to expand his skill base to monetize it beyond where he is now. That's just kind of the nature of growing in employment.

For lateral moves if you're a driven, aggressive, skilled individual? It's time and applications and in some cases networking. But to really move up there has to be some change in your skill to warrant it and that usually involves more learning in some form or fashion, along with accumulating experience and references to prove it. That's been our experience anyway.

is he willing to learn a skill?  does he like working with computer?  he can get computer certifications - no degree - and make good money.  that is something he can do on his own time while still working where he is currently. 

look at him developing some specialized skills as an investment in your family's future.

I don't think it is the teeth though depending on the field the lack of college may hurt him. Any continuing learning or skill acquisition will help though, it absolutely doesn't have to be college. Quiet has never hurt my husband, but he is also extremely assertive in an employment situation even though he isn't a chatty or overtly friendly guy. Projecting self confidence and being on top of things is super helpful, especially if you're naturally a shy guy.

He just needs to keep applying - possibly out of your area where you live if the market isn't good. Mobility can make a huge difference. I hope he can find a great job!

Lol.

If this is the new question, my good friend has experience! Her husband works construction as a grade checker and has been at it for a decade, but he has topped out in his current field and robots will be replacing him soon. It's life. She doesn't work and homeschools, and the blue collar job plus high cost of living AND seasonal drying up of work is hard on them.

His first solution was to apprentice with the Electricians guild. He has no college either but they have classes to get you going and well positioned for the apprentice program, which he took. Downside would be a pay cut for the first two years from what they are currently making. Other downside? They've frozen hiring lately. So that was a disappointing bust.

His second path has been achieved through networking and we are hoping things come together - a guy from our church works at the wastewater treatment center as a line inspector and the job pays extremely well, with benefits, and offers its own training. Downside? The enrollment period for the training and application period aren't ongoing but every few months, so friend's husband has had to wait until this month to apply (started looking at it in August). The upside is that road construction just essentially ended due to weather so he won't have a big employment gap if he can get on with the company this winter.

That is his solution - he loves learning but doesn't enjoy college and his wife cannot work full time and homeschool, though she will take small side jobs like childcare to help with bills as needed. These unionized trade jobs are the best bang for their buck in this state in terms of wages and benefits. That may be so for your husband too.

I had another thought during DS's swimming lesson. Cable companies. We have a few friends at Cox Communications. None have degrees and all have good jobs there. Two are in call centers, one of those is a manager. The other is an installer/repair guy. Communications companies are almost always hiring and there is room for advancement. All of our friends make good wages (between $45k-$65k) and as a little bonus to them, the cable company pays for their internet, phone service and cable every month. So that's an extra $100 or so that they don't have to pay out every month in bills. We have Comcast in VT, and they are very similar.

I had another thought during DS's swimming lesson. Cable companies. We have a few friends at Cox Communications. None have degrees and all have good jobs there. Two are in call centers, one of those is a manager. The other is an installer/repair guy. Communications companies are almost always hiring and there is room for advancement. All of our friends make good wages (between $45k-$65k) and as a little bonus to them, the cable company pays for their internet, phone service and cable every month. So that's an extra $100 or so that they don't have to pay out every month in bills. We have Comcast in VT, and they are very similar.

Yes to this, I have another friend whose husband works for our local cable company and does quite well for them. It's been good stable work and pretty low conflict.