Menu

Should we stay or should we go?

Janeway

My husband tells me the job market for his field is pretty good right now. He also says a lot of places are offering relocation packages. He told me to tell him where to go.

My honest gut feeling was to say I do not want to leave. But when I got over that, I remembered how much we had wanted to at least try a part of the country with snow, and not so much piercing heat. I called favorite uncle who lives way north and he says they already have had their first frost. I do not want that cold. The weather for the last month has been perfect here of course. 

I would just say let's go to Colorado, but I am super worried about high taxes and high college costs.

How does one even decide if they want to stay or go? The kids really like their lives here. And I admit, I have grown to like a lot here. Often, all I can see is what I am losing. But, that is how I felt when we moved here, like I lost so much. But I have grown and adjusted and like it here now. Other than that we probably need to downsize our house. At least with a relocation package, the company will pay for the move.

• Like 1

OP, it seems like you have anxiety about a lot of things. In this situation I would have a ton of anxiety. The big thing is dh needs to start putting out applications. I'd help him cast a wide net and as possibilities become clear look closer and see what fits your family needs then. At this point you don't have the information you need to analyze, so you are creating more anxiety than you need. Take a step back and more one step at a time. 

• Like 10

You've been considering moving for a while.  I'd put together a strong resume, send out a bunch of applications and see where the interview process takes your dh.  We cross-country relocated a year ago to a city that had a great job for dh and a climate I'm not in love with. We downsized considerably, and it's been a great thing. There are good and bad things about wherever you live; it's just picking the mix that you're comfortable with.

FWIW, I spent my nervous energy while waiting through the job search decluttering and simplifying life.  I clipped frugal recipes off of the internet, I used up odds and ends in my pantry, I sold stuff out of the house that wasn't needed, and when the time came to put the house on the market and move, I was ready.  Even if we hadn't moved, the decluttered house felt so fresh and clean that the work would've been worth it.

• Like 9

You have talked in different threads several times about not liking where you are

Where we live doesn't really feel like home to us. It never has

My husband and I do not care for where we live now. We want to move on

He should send out applications to employers in different areas you would consider. And then evaluate the offers and decide based on them.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 11

He can see many jobs in every part of the country. He is asking me if I want him to focus on a few places. I suggested all of Colorado and maybe even Idaho. I am also curious about PA and he wants to know if he should be looking at Seattle area. He is in a job that theoretically is a high needs and versatile area kind of thing. 

• Like 1

Don't borrow worry.

We've moved.........I don't know.  I've lost count.  :lol: But when dh was job hunting this year the most important thing was to first get his resume out there.  Once there were a couple of bites we could actually look at costs of living, housing, etc. before choosing an area.  I refuse to jump three steps ahead only to find out it was needless and a moot point (i.e. going to Alaska, when in reality 3 weeks later the interviews were all in the lower 48).  My only condition for dh's job hunting was to avoid the South if at all possible, but we'd make it work if it wasn't.

• Like 1

Agreed, you have been not really liking a lot about where you live, at least from other posts.  Now that there is the possibility of moving you are having anxiety about moving and that is also a normal reaction for a lot of people.  To make a rational decision you need more info, though.  As others have said, don't borrow stress.  Have DH put out those resumes and see what he is offered.  Then plan to do research on concrete locations where there is actually a job offer.  At that point you will have more to work with in the way of real knowledge.  If nothing really feels right, you don't have to move and it might make staying feel like a better choice than it had in the past because you had concrete places to compare your current location to.  Or you may find a place that meets more of the family's needs.  No place is perfect but you might find a better balance.  Or realize things are better where you are than you had realized.  Get solid information, though, before you stress out too much.  

And in the meantime, declutter, clean up, etc.  Maybe pick one room and work at it 15-30 minutes a day.   Then move on to the next room.  Don't let the process overwhelm you.  Keep it simple.  Don't over think it.  If you end up moving then decluttering will make the process easier and if you don't end up moving it will make your current home a more pleasant place to be.

• Like 2

I live in Colorado Springs to get away from extreme cold in Minnesota. It's been a positive move. Mountains are gorgeous any time of day. We're having a housing boom here and in other places in Colorado because it is such a great place to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When we considered relocating, we looked at multiple places.  We included or excluded based on finances first, but then wrote pros and cons pages for each place plus where we were leaving. We ended up with nearly two pages for each. We realized that whether or not we were making a place feel like home for DH and I, we would focus on the experiences a certain location could offer that others did not.  This helped us to visualize what living there would be like, and we ended up making a decision we both are rather satisfied with.  While our children miss some aspects of living in WA, they have quickly adjusted and seem more joyful.  Our oldest is only 10 though, so that does help that they hadn't built up a large circle of friends and activities that we were leaving behind.  

He can see many jobs in every part of the country. He is asking me if I want him to focus on a few places. I suggested all of Colorado and maybe even Idaho. I am also curious about PA and he wants to know if he should be looking at Seattle area. He is in a job that theoretically is a high needs and versatile area kind of thing. 

Just some insider FYI: Western Washington has a high cost of living, especially in the Seattle area.  Beautiful, with great public transportation options, but horrible traffic and it's expensive.  You drive to the snow in the mountains, as it falls maybe a day or two each year in the city. Thank goodness because of the hills.  The summers are wonderfully mild.  If you garden, it is easy to four season garden.  Tons to do, inside or out. Do your research to see if he would be losing money by going there due to income vs. cost of living changes for where you are now.

Boise is relatively inexpensive, but different climate, both socially and weather.  Flights in and out of Boise are often cheaper than SEA too, if you have to consider that for family travel.  

My DH is in a field where he can get a job pretty much wherever.  We get recruiting brochures and calls on a regular basis.  

However, we have yet to take the bait.  I've moved enough to know how hard it is.  While you may not like your current location, keep in mind that it'll take probably at least 2 years to feel at home in the new location, and this is if you put in a lot of effort in meeting people/having them over.  

I'm not saying that you shouldn't move, but keep in mind that it'll take a decent chunk of time to feel settled.  I'd seriously consider the costs of that.  For us it's not worth it.  For others, it might just be the adventure they need to spice things up.  

• Like 1

I live in Colorado Springs to get away from extreme cold in Minnesota. It's been a positive move. Mountains are gorgeous any time of day. We're having a housing boom here and in other places in Colorado because it is such a great place to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a job in Littleton that I guess he can go to. They offered it to him previously and said they would happily take him if he ever wanted to come back. Do you have an opinion of Littleton?

We were supposed to relocate a few years ago and we are looking at relocating. For us the factors are

job availability - we don't want to be stuck with no other employers if unemployed. That was why we opt for unemployment benefits here than move to Malta, NY. Besides pay would be lower because of supposedly lower cost of living.

pay package - we have look into internal transfer to Seattle. That is doable for us if there is an opening as cost of living is similar to Silicon Valley and pay would be the same. Also Seattle has many tech companies so being unemployed there is less scary.

We are willing to relocate to another country though as we have no relatives here.

Write a list of what you want, weather, city size, terrain, political leaning etc. Then send the resume to those areas. I wouldn't move to Seattle or Colorado without a job offer unless you have a sizeable nest egg, because they are extremely high CoL right now. I would even suggest storing/selling your things and doing a quick tour of the cities that are top on your list if you aren't sure exactly what you want.

• Like 3

Don't predecide this.

He needs to look for a job AS a fulltime job.

He should cast a wide net.

Then for the places with relocation packages, usually those include at least one investigatory trip, and also some help with a new home purchase.  You won't really know what you have coming until it's offered.

One caution--maybe avoid places that only have one employer in his field, if possible.  For instance, when I worked in engineering in Vermont, IBM was the biggest employer in the state, and except for a small Digital plant and a secretive (weapons research) GE office, there were no other places for some type of engineers to work.

• Like 4

Don't predecide this.

He needs to look for a job AS a fulltime job.

He should cast a wide net.

Then for the places with relocation packages, usually those include at least one investigatory trip, and also some help with a new home purchase.  You won't really know what you have coming until it's offered.

One caution--maybe avoid places that only have one employer in his field, if possible.  For instance, when I worked in engineering in Vermont, IBM was the biggest employer in the state, and except for a small Digital plant and a secretive (weapons research) GE office, there were no other places for some type of engineers to work.

• Like 2

I don't know where you are - or what his income level is.  housing in seattle is expensive. 

just throw out the net and see what comes back.   decide on areas you absolutely refuse to go, and simply don't bother with them, but otherwise I would suggest keeping options open.

• Like 2

There is a job in Littleton that I guess he can go to. They offered it to him previously and said they would happily take him if he ever wanted to come back. Do you have an opinion of Littleton?

It's a suburb of Denver.  

What field is your husband in?  People here might be able to help you all network.  

for starters -he needs to send out applications - I would pick various areas. where you go is completely a moot point until he has a job.

eta: spelling . . . sigh.

People in high demand professions can target geographical areas and narrow their search before it begins:

• Like 1

my husband changes jobs a lot.  We have followed him all over the place.  I have a lot more opinion on this now that my kids are closer to leaving home.  

At first, I thought it was good.  New faces, new places.  We learn to adjust to new situations.  My kids agree they can do that.  They know how to go somewhere without knowing anyone and finding their place in the group.  Positive.  

However, they have lost some amazing friends along the way.  Kids want to hang out not email daily.  So while some have kept in touch, most don't.  Moms included.   Our circle currently is very small.  Some of it is the locale as I've been told it's normal to take years to find your people here. 

In the past I wanted to move.  I welcomed the adventure.  I welcomed the new places to see/visit/explore. But now I'm seeing some negatives.  Our new home is great, we all love it here.  But we aren't finding the close friendships like before.  As an adult, I am really missing a close friend.  One of my kids is struggling to find a group to hang with.  My other kid is fine.  

Dh and I wanted to be here.  But I feel like there was a cost.  Not having good friends is lonely for most of us.  Not having family nearby is a blessing and a curse.  

And with older kids you have to consider their opinions.  For us, this was a move we all were open to.  But when you consider how many moves we have had previously, it just feels harder than it should have been.  We are all happier in many ways, but sad in others.  I know that our friends back east have moved away.  Only a few are there.  Our circle would have shifted anyway.   But right now, it's lonely here.  And the kids and myself aren't ready to join the co-ops just to make friends.  

So my advice is go where you want to be.  Consider the kids opinions.  As we get closer to college I'm just hoping my kids stay out here near us lol. 

my husband changes jobs a lot. We have followed him all over the place. I have a lot more opinion on this now that my kids are closer to leaving home.

At first, I thought it was good. New faces, new places. We learn to adjust to new situations. My kids agree they can do that. They know how to go somewhere without knowing anyone and finding their place in the group. Positive.

However, they have lost some amazing friends along the way. Kids want to hang out not email daily. So while some have kept in touch, most don't. Moms included. Our circle currently is very small. Some of it is the locale as I've been told it's normal to take years to find your people here.

In the past I wanted to move. I welcomed the adventure. I welcomed the new places to see/visit/explore. But now I'm seeing some negatives. Our new home is great, we all love it here. But we aren't finding the close friendships like before. As an adult, I am really missing a close friend. One of my kids is struggling to find a group to hang with. My other kid is fine.

Dh and I wanted to be here. But I feel like there was a cost. Not having good friends is lonely for most of us. Not having family nearby is a blessing and a curse.

And with older kids you have to consider their opinions. For us, this was a move we all were open to. But when you consider how many moves we have had previously, it just feels harder than it should have been. We are all happier in many ways, but sad in others. I know that our friends back east have moved away. Only a few are there. Our circle would have shifted anyway. But right now, it's lonely here. And the kids and myself aren't ready to join the co-ops just to make friends.

So my advice is go where you want to be. Consider the kids opinions. As we get closer to college I'm just hoping my kids stay out here near us lol.

I thought I didn't have a "tribe" here but I got called by three friends this morning who didn't know about the lay off wanting to get together. I realize I do have a lot of friends here.

• Like 2

I understand. We followed dh's career which meant moving from Michigan to Indiana to Oregon to Florida to Michigan again, and may have one more move ahead before he retires. We'll see. He hopes for his mother's sake that this one is a short distance - in state - move.

That said, as much as I did not like uprooting, the reality is that I am glad we did it because each time our financial situation got better, and with two boys in college and a third beginning in 22 months, I am glad we are on sound footing. His 401K matching also improved each time, and that money has been a big, big, help saving for retirement.

But one thing that we were firm about was staying put during high school so that the kids could have some continuity, get involved in the community, volunteer, and have extracurriculars that spanned more than one season or year.

Does your DH like his job or does he want to change jobs? Are there other potential employers in your local area?  I saw some of the USA, working as a Consulting Software Engineer. On one job assignment, in DE, I rented a home on the Upper Eastern Shore of Chesapeake Bay in MD. On the North East River. It was the Summer home of a family in Chicago. Very beautiful. About 1/2 way between Philadelphia and Baltimore.  

I went up/down I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley of VA several times and have memories of that area being very peaceful looking. A friend is from Roanoke VA.

TN is a state you might look at.  Although I was once in Nashville when it was -3 F., I think that is unusual for them. Starting in Middle TN, going East to Knoxville and then North, I remember as quite pretty.

AL is another state. Especially Huntsville, although I was once in Huntsville when the *actual* temperature was -13 F.   If your DH is an Engineer, Huntsville has the highest percentage of residents who are Engineers, in the USA.

There are many places one might live in and all of them are compromises. All have pros and cons.

It sounds like you and your family are happy where you are, so if your DH is happy with his current position and/or there are other potential employers there, I would stay there.

If you do contemplate accepting a contract from another employer, have an I.R.S. Enrolled Agent or a C.P.A. help you with the contract terms, so that you are not subject to a large tax liability.

I prefer mountainous parts of the country as well as coastal, if you're the same way I'd definitely recommend Idaho, Wyoming, or even Washington and Oregon. They have vastly different tax structures and feels, so maybe you two can talk about what you find important and then start sending out applications to the states that fit best?

Pay isn't the single biggest factor - cost of living is. Of course someone in Seattle or Colorado Springs would make more than someone in Butte, there are massive cost of living differences. That matters less than benefits packages, property and income taxes, and food/energy costs. If you're comparing salaries it is more useful to do it in jobs in the same city or region, that reveals more.

There are a lot of places that are not snow filled but are NEAR snow areas.  For example, I  lived in the Los Angeles area.....I could drive less than 2 hours and be in snow all winter, but it was nice to come home to an area that didn't have snow.  Seattle can be much the same way, you can be in snow very quickly, but you don't have to live in it.  Where we live in NC is similar.  2 hours away we can go skiing or sledding or tubing, but here we get very little snow.

So, just to point out, there are options that are not in snow for the entire winter, but are close enough to enjoy it.

How about Northern California, or Southern Oregon?  

Northern Arizona gets snow, Flagstaff area??

Where is it you really WANT to go?

My uncle has always lived in Littleton and I love it . It's a very family oriented area with lots of things to do, and depending on where you are, the light rail. Downtown Littleton is walkable and charming. If we needed to move to the southern suburbs, we'd go there in a heartbeat.

If it gets to that point, familiarize yourself with the area on Google maps. Littleton addresses are very spread out, so one area may appeal to you more than another.

Take offers from everywhere except the places you absolutely don't want to live. Then, once you receive an offer evaluate the location. Embrace the opportunity for adventure! Your children will learn new things and have all new places to explore. 

Found this: 

http://insights.dice.com/2016/07/12/smaller-towns-are-techs-momentum-cities/

I've seen other articles recently on the same topic. From my own research, I know of one global player who just moved to Denver. There is talk of a Seattle to Vancouver (Canada) tech corridor in the works, too. But I think several tech hubs are opening up as businesses seek out lots of real estate at lower costs. 

Edited by MomatHWTK

I know it is not PC to say, since it is not ok to be white and all. But all the white (or even biracial) guys got laid off and they were in the minority there. My husband is one of the few in the area or the group to be adept in what he was working on. But I guess they are going to train someone else to do what he did. He says he does not care, but I do. Everyone left in his group is Indian now (not American Indian). 

Edited by Janeway

I'd pick a handfull of locations you'd be willing to relocate (including your current one if you like it) and pepper them with resumes.  I wouldn't fall in love with one in particular while you're searching for a job.  Now if he has multiple offers on the table, then you have something more to ponder. 

ETA - I agree you should look carefully at cost of living.  My DH and I are both multiple degree trained software engineers.  We've gotten offers in other metros and your standard of living won't be the same in every one even with a pay increase.  You have to be careful on the math with that.

Edited by WoolySocks

Really, the question was staying or going. There are plenty of jobs here. So, he could just start applying here and he would have a job soon likely, if he wanted to. He says he wants some time off and do his own thing. I thought I heard a sucking noise coming from my bank account. But whatever. He earned our savings. If he feels he needs it to have time to regroup, I should respect that. He might wait until January to work on anything.

• Like 1

Really, the question was staying or going. There are plenty of jobs here. So, he could just start applying here and he would have a job soon likely, if he wanted to. He says he wants some time off and do his own thing. I thought I heard a sucking noise coming from my bank account. But whatever. He earned our savings. If he feels he needs it to have time to regroup, I should respect that. He might wait until January to work on anything.

does  "his own thing" involved starting a business? or a grownups version of a gap year?

it is harder to get a job if you're unemployed. - people wonder why you aren't working.

I wouldn't wait.

• Like 1

I thought I didn't have a "tribe" here but I got called by three friends this morning who didn't know about the lay off wanting to get together. I realize I do have a lot of friends here.

At least you discovered you have a tribe before going.  If there are jobs there, why not stay?  Put a limit on it...a year...and if you are restless enough then consider moving.  Again, I feel kids should have a say in this.  

Mine were eager for something new.  Both are happy we moved, but both admit they miss a lot about where we had been.  I think this homesick feeling happens about year 2.  I say that b/c the last time dh and I lived this far from family we moved back at war 3 after much looking.  So I was homesick by year 2.  Which is where we are now.  If I just stick it out it will be okay.  

does "his own thing" involved starting a business? or a grownups version of a gap year?

it is harder to get a job if you're unemployed. - people wonder why you aren't working.

I wouldn't wait.

Lol...he says he wants to get back to working on his own business projects, but I suspect it will end more of an adult gap year.

Lol...he says he wants to get back to working on his own business projects, but I suspect it will end more of an adult gap year.

If your family is financially comfortable with your husband doing that, why not.  My husband was self employed and barely making money for two years, but I was working in a well paid job and we didn't have kids yet.

If your husband can get a job locally and there is no big push to relocate, then it probably make more sense to stay. However, your husband can still apply for whichever jobs catch his interest even if it means relocating. After so many rounds of retrenchment in the tech sector, self employment might be a better deal because you are not tied down to one employer.

I've dealt with dh's extended unemployment. (he ended up starting his own business.) married adults with children should never take a gap year unless they have the income to comfortably support it.   there are too many other people's lives in play.

• Like 2

My answer to stay or go is that you can't ask "stay or go" until you know if "stay or go" is even the right question to ask. I mentioned DH applied all over the country. That also meant....he applied all over the state. DH is a mechanical engineer. And mechanical engieneers can work across many types of manufacturing. He currently works in auto safety (ie he works for a competetor of Takata.) He's also worked in lawn mowers, and jet engine manufacturing and large deisel engines. So, when he was laid off....he applied everywhere. And in this case I don't mean everywhere in terms of place, but in terms of industry. He applied for a wood working company within walking distance from our house. He applied to be an Imagineer at Disney. He applied at a CAT large machine plant in Lafayette IN. And so on and so on.

I would imagine a software engineer is much like a mechanical engineer in that, the skills learned in one area are still applicable in other areas.

Oh, ok, wait...I just re read this post.

He said he "wants some time off and do his own thing?"?!?!?!?!?

That would NOT fly in our house. I think if those words came out of DH's mouth, a nuclear bomb would go off.

I am a SAHM. I am homeschooling the kiddos. Which means...I rely on Dh to bring in money to pay bills. That means he doesn't GET time to "do his own thing."

When DH was laid off, I ran out and got not one but TWO jobs, by the end of the week. TWO. And, for a very short time...I had a THIRD. I am not exaggerating. I worked at Amazon full time overnight, and at CVS, afternoons and evenings...then once the Amazon job was over since it was temporary, I did CVS overnights full time. AND, for only a few days, I worked Fazolis as well. Fazolis was next door to CVS so those couple of days, I worked a shift at Fazolis and then walked next door and did a shift at CVS.

And I worked ALL of that around DH interviewing wherever. On Valentines Day, he drove 2 hrs from our house for an interview, got caught during a snow storm and I ended up being late for work, waiting for him to get back.

And that's the job he got, he has to this day.

No way would I tolerate "do his own thing" when there's no income in the house.

Lol...you will love this. I told him I would happily get a job and let him homeschool the kids, but I couldn't make nearly what he made. But, it would hold us over for a while. And at that he said..."I think I only need today to do my own thing" ha ha ha ha!!!!

• Like 7

Janeway,

We lived in Littleton for more than a decade.Beautiful place we moved out to TX a few years ago.We miss the area,still have family and friends

there.

Please look at housing there before you decide anything.Homes are very hard to find.We are very close friends with a realtor based out of Littleton

and she shares stories about the shortage regularly.

PM me if you need more info.

GL 

I know it is not PC to say, since it is not ok to be white and all. But all the white (or even biracial) guys got laid off and they were in the minority there. My husband is one of the few in the area or the group to be adept in what he was working on. But I guess they are going to train someone else to do what he did. He says he does not care, but I do. Everyone left in his group is Indian now (not American Indian).

Janeway, I realize you are under a lot of stress, and I sympathise, but even now you don't get a free pass to say offensive things. What you said here is very offensive. Playing the "reverse racism" card is neither appropriate nor productive. I think when people get laid off or when equally unfortunate things happen, they have a tendency to look for someone or something to blame. But I think it is important to not strike out with barely veiled racist statements such as "it is not okay to be white and all," implying that your husband is being laid off solely because he is white. Resist racism.

• Like 5

Janeway, I realize you are under a lot of stress, and I sympathise, but even now you don't get a free pass to say offensive things. What you said here is very offensive. Playing the "reverse racism" card is neither appropriate nor productive. I think when people get laid off or when equally unfortunate things happen, they have a tendency to look for someone or something to blame. But I think it is important to not strike out with barely veiled racist statements such as "it is not okay to be white and all," implying that your husband is being laid off solely because he is white. Resist racism.

Umm, it's racism. Everyone not of one particular race/nationality from his team laid off. I didn't even say it was racism. I pointed out what it was. And it's not reverse racism, it's just as racist as if all the Indians were laid off and all the white and biracial people were kept. It is what happened.

• Like 5

Can we please not do a pile on?

This family just lost their livelihood.

This is a crisis, and not the time or place for comments like this.

The OP opened herself up to it by saying reverse racism was involved. She may have stated that out of frustration, but if that is where her thoughts go in frustration perhaps considering only parts of the country on this basis is reasonable.

If the OP has the facts that include longevity with company, skill level and speciality within skill, etc. to back up her statements, she should not discuss here, but maybe consider filing a complaint of some kind. One should recognize that it's very difficult to back up such allegations. Employees under the same job title can have varying certifications, degrees, specialty skill sets beyond the title.

• Like 2

The OP opened herself up to it by saying reverse racism was involved. She may have stated that out of frustration, but if that is where her thoughts go in frustration perhaps considering only parts of the country on this basis is reasonable.

If the OP has the facts that include longevity with company, skill level and speciality within skill, etc. to back up her statements, she should not discuss here, but maybe consider filing a complaint of some kind. One should recognize that it's very difficult to back up such allegations. Employees under the same job title can have varying certifications, degrees, specialty skill sets beyond the title.

Take it to another thread.  This is not right.

• Like 6