Menu

Ryan Lochte drama...

staceyobu

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things that bothers me is the police seemingly waiting to follow up when they heard about it. Waiting 48 hours to say someone shouldn't leave the country because they wanted for questioning sounds like a slow response.

The police began investigating Sunday when the story broke. Why would police at that point ask for a court order preventing a mugging victim from leaving the country?

Once it began to appear that the 'victims' were lying and had in fact committed a crime, the court issued that order.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 3

And, food for thought...

"White Male Privilege is Why We Laugh at Lochte and Vilify Douglas"

Not an especially well-written piece (it's a prime example of HuffPo covering Twitter) but I think the general point is a fair one. Now, obviously, a lot more people are turning on Lochte and co., but the initial reaction was very forgiving and some people are standing by it.

• Like 11

Erm, maybe a few people out there are giving Lochte and crew a pass on this, but I'm wondering if there is something very wrong with the entire (at least male) elite swimming world. My 3yo is very comfortable in the water and will be good at some sport; between this, Stanford and Phelps' past behavior, it doesn't make me want to encourage too much competitive swimming for him (even though I tbink it would be physically very healthy). :/

Someone receiving a gold medal for the first time? I'm wondering how they even think straight on the podium, much less remember where to put their hands. A lifetime is flashing before their eyes in 3 minutes, the fact they don't faint and fall is impressive.

• Like 2

Erm, maybe a few people out there are giving Lochte and crew a pass on this, but I'm wondering if there is something very wrong with the entire (at least male) elite swimming world. My 3yo is very comfortable in the water and will be good at some sport; between this, Stanford and Phelps' past behavior, it doesn't make me want to encourage too much competitive swimming for him (even though I tbink it would be physically very healthy). :/

Someone receiving a gold medal for the first time? I'm wondering how they even think straight on the podium, much less remember where to put their hands. A lifetime is flashing before their eyes in 3 minutes, the fact they don't faint and fall is impressive.

I think they are the exception. Unfortunately, exceptions are more interesting and get the most attention. The male swimmers I knew in college were not jerks.

I also think the sport your dc chooses to pursue will not turn him into an immature jerk. Whether or not he participates in sports, you are still his parent and can influence his personality.

• Like 6

The swimmers are a bunch of idiots here. Publuc urination while intoxicated sounds lije a fraternity party incident. Perhaps that's why some people are calling them kids.

They did empty their wallets at the gas station. I'm going to assume that's how property crime is handled in Brazil. Seems more efficient than getting the police. The gas station doesn't appear to ask for more payment for damages.

It's terrible that a few have continued to feed a bad American stereotype. And it's been a horrible distraction.

So I could see some fine for whatever you want to call this. But the news report today is saying the last swimmer cannot get his passport back until he makes an 11K payment to charity. That starts to sound like extortion. I would not think this if it was a straight fine.

• Like 3

Fame is such a bizarre thing. Imagine what you would do if you were surrounded by people telling you everything you do is gold. Talk about messing with your head.

• Like 1

I think they are the exception. Unfortunately, exceptions are more interesting and get the most attention. The male swimmers I knew in college were not jerks.

I also think the sport your dc chooses to pursue will not turn him into an immature jerk. Whether or not he participates in sports, you are still his parent and can influence his personality.

I'm sure not all elite swimmers are that way, but, when it's more than half of the Olympic US men's  swim team acting  / has acted like an idiot frat boy ...... how is that an exception? 

Joke from foreigners about Americans below ..... Possibly a bit offensive...

On the Gabby Douglas thing, her "crime" is that she acted un-American.

Whereas going abroad, breaking stuff, peeing on it, yelling loudly in English and throwing money at stuff *is* the American way...

• Like 6

Apparently making a donation to charity is an accepted way of avoiding criminal prosecution for minor offences. Our media is reporting it is the equivalent of paying a straight fine.

I'm trying to figure out if just the guy who is left in Rio is required to pay a fine/donation or all of them?  Lochte already left.  Two other swimmers were allowed to leave last night/this morning.  One swimmer is left and he apparently has to pay $11K in order to get his passport back.  Do the others have to pay as well?  Will they split the fine/donation?  I'm confused about that part.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out if just the guy who is left in Rio is required to pay a fine/donation or all of them?  Lochte already left.  Two other swimmers were allowed to leave last night/this morning.  One swimmer is left and he apparently has to pay $11K in order to get his passport back.  Do the others have to pay as well?  Will they split the fine/donation?  I'm confused about that part.

From what I've been reading, it's acceptable/normal for someone who filed a false police report to pay a fine in the form of a charitable donation. The two who left were only ever witnesses, and did not ever lie to the police; they've told the truth from the beginning. According to some of the articles, they also were not directly responsible for the damage to the bathroom. As such, they never had criminal charges even discussed against them, just needed for their witness statements. 

Lochte of course left before he could be detained, so whether his friend will pursue him for splitting the fine/donation, who knows. I would hope so, but....who knows. I don't know enough about Lochte to have any idea if he'd do that or not. 

The swimmer who is left was involved in lying to the police, along with Lochte, which is why he has to pay the fine. 

• Like 1

I'm sure not all elite swimmers are that way, but, when it's more than half of the Olympic US men's  swim team acting  / has acted like an idiot frat boy ...... how is that an exception? 

There were 25 men on this American Olympic swim team, and most of them have stayed out of trouble. Actually, a lot of them are fairly unknown. So these guys truly are the exception. I don't think it's fair to blame the sport for the actions of a few elite athletes. When you look at the elite of pretty much any sport (or any other occupation, really), you're going to find a few bad apples..that doesn't mean it's ok to characterize them all that way.

• Like 10

From what I've been reading, it's acceptable/normal for someone who filed a false police report to pay a fine in the form of a charitable donation. The two who left were only ever witnesses, and did not ever lie to the police; they've told the truth from the beginning. According to some of the articles, they also were not directly responsible for the damage to the bathroom. As such, they never had criminal charges even discussed against them, just needed for their witness statements. 

Lochte of course left before he could be detained, so whether his friend will pursue him for splitting the fine/donation, who knows. I would hope so, but....who knows. I don't know enough about Lochte to have any idea if he'd do that or not. 

The swimmer who is left was involved in lying to the police, along with Lochte, which is why he has to pay the fine. 

Ohhhhh, I get it now.  Thanks. 

There were 25 men on this American Olympic swim team, and most of them have stayed out of trouble. Actually, a lot of them are fairly unknown. So these guys truly are the exception. I don't think it's fair to blame the sport for the actions of a few elite athletes. When you look at the elite of pretty much any sport (or any other occupation, really), you're going to find a few bad apples..that doesn't mean it's ok to characterize them all that way.

Yup.

I think when you look at any type of vocation where someone becomes famous and rich before they are mature enough to handle it, you're going to see a lot of problems and acting out. Especially since there is so much discipline in one area of life, the desire to let loose and the ability to do so (because of money) shows up in horribly destructive ways.

But, I was involved in competitive swimming for 10 years. I found the demographics of the teams I was on to not be much different than the rest of my school. If the jerk bro type had become an Olympic swimmer, he'd be a jerk bro Olympic swimmer. When the quiet, humble guy becomes an Olympic swimmer, he doesn't suddenly become a jerk bro. And one of them will show up in the news and make people think that he represents the whole sport. And one will not.

For example, I think Missy Franklin had a rough time post-Olympic-fame if reports are to be believed, same with Allison Schmidt, but it manifested itself much differently than other people probably because they are different people.

But the image Lochte and others project is why USA swimming should very vocally speak out against this behavior and censure them accordingly. It should not be allowed to be let go as simple shenanigans.

• Like 8

Yup.

I think when you look at any type of vocation where someone becomes famous and rich before they are mature enough to handle it, you're going to see a lot of problems and acting out. Especially since there is so much discipline in one area of life, the desire to let loose and the ability to do so (because of money) shows up in horribly destructive ways.

But, I was involved in competitive swimming for 10 years. I found the demographics of the teams I was on to not be much different than the rest of my school. If the jerk bro type had become an Olympic swimmer, he'd be a jerk bro Olympic swimmer. When the quiet, humble guy becomes an Olympic swimmer, he doesn't suddenly become a jerk bro. And one of them will show up in the news and make people think that he represents the whole sport. And one will not.

For example, I think Missy Franklin had a rough time post-Olympic-fame if reports are to be believed, same with Allison Schmidt, but it manifested itself much differently than other people probably because they are different people.

But the image Lochte and others project is why USA swimming should very vocally speak out against this behavior and censure them accordingly. It should not be allowed to be let go as simple shenanigans.

I really hope US Swimming bans Lochte, in particular, from international competition. He blew it, created an international incident, make the US look stupid, and took the focus of the world off the incredible athletics going on. He shouldn't get a second chance...they need to make it clear that this will not be tolerated.

• Like 9

I really hope US Swimming bans Lochte, in particular, from international competition. He blew it, created an international incident, make the US look stupid, and took the focus of the world off the incredible athletics going on. He shouldn't get a second chance...they need to make it clear that this will not be tolerated.

Agreed! And, ugh, he is 31!! The frat boy thing is always gross but even more so on a man approaching middle age.

• Like 3

Agreed! And, ugh, he is 31!! The frat boy thing is always gross but even more so on a man approaching middle age.

32, he just had his birthday. But according to Google, middle age is 45-65, so saying "approaching middle age" is about as ridiculous as calling him a kid.

• Like 1

To be fair he's 31, which in this sport probably means he didn't have another Olympics left in him anyway. For his personal "brand," it might actually be GOOD publicity to be kicked out like that. Nothing's going to kickstart a reboot of a "privileged idiot party animal" type reality show than a scandal like this. :/ Not saying I disagree with the idea of banning him, I'm just saying it may not be the end of his public lifestyle the way we might hope.

To be fair he's 31, which in this sport probably means he didn't have another Olympics left in him anyway. For his personal "brand," it might actually be GOOD publicity to be kicked out like that. Nothing's going to kickstart a reboot of a "privileged idiot party animal" type reality show than a scandal like this. :/ Not saying I disagree with the idea of banning him, I'm just saying it may not be the end of his public lifestyle the way we might hope.

I'm sure he'll do everything he can to keep his public lifestyle going. I'm just hoping they can send a message to younger swimmers that they better not try anything so stupid. Although, Lochte has already talked about Tokyo 2020, so if they could end that conversation with a ban, that would be fine by me!

• Like 1

Unfortunately you're probably right. It's things like this that make me glad ds doesn't care about celebrities whether they're sports, tv/movie or music celebrities. 

I just don't really buy it. It's not true of every sport.  We have the evidence right here Maybe two dozen US elite teams... actually twice that since most have a mens and womens.  For the second Olympics in a row, the men's swim team is the one who really stands out for jerkiness.  Plus, of course, the swimming rapist from Stanford.  To me that indicates this isn't a "random bad apples in any sport"  but that there is a strain of something ugly in the sport itself.  It's hardly the only sport with that issue.

To be clear, though.   I don't think it's a horrifying crime beyond belief or anything.  I think they're just dumb and arrogant.

I just don't really buy it. It's not true of every sport. We have the evidence right here Maybe two dozen US elite teams... actually twice that since most have a mens and womens. For the second Olympics in a row, the men's swim team is the one who really stands out for jerkiness. Plus, of course, the swimming rapist from Stanford. To me that indicates this isn't a "random bad apples in any sport" but that there is a strain of something ugly in the sport itself. It's hardly the only sport with that issue.

To be clear, though. I don't think it's a horrifying crime beyond belief or anything. I think they're just dumb and arrogant.

Umm ... It's the same individuals who are giving the team a bad name. It Locate was not on the team, there likely would not have been a controversy. It seems unfair to judge a whole sport on the actions a a few individuals.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I just don't really buy it. It's not true of every sport. We have the evidence right here Maybe two dozen US elite teams... actually twice that since most have a mens and womens. For the second Olympics in a row, the men's swim team is the one who really stands out for jerkiness. Plus, of course, the swimming rapist from Stanford. To me that indicates this isn't a "random bad apples in any sport" but that there is a strain of something ugly in the sport itself. It's hardly the only sport with that issue.

To be clear, though. I don't think it's a horrifying crime beyond belief or anything. I think they're just dumb and arrogant.

There are thousands of kids and young adults doing club swimming across the U.S. I'm not going to change your opinion about there being something ugly in the sport, but most of them are just regular people like you. They train, race, and do school or life.

The ugly part, to me, comes with fame, wealth, and no grounding force (internal or external). That spans humans in general.

• Like 4

I think they should be stripped of the medals they won, at least in Rio, though I'm not sure if all of them won medals.

It wasn't her first gold medal. I was a big fan of Gabby four years ago. I was disappointed somewhat in her responses to her teammates this year. I think she did come across as bitter. But I think the media should have given her more space. She had just suffered a big disappointment. I hate how they followed her around for a long time afterward and showed her reaction to the two others in the all around. Maybe she didn't handle it well, but the news media didn't have to highlight that over and over again.

Regardless, not being able to muster wholehearted support for teammates is a far cry from vandalism. I don't have sympathy for the swimmers. Many people seem to view drunkenness as a mitigating factor. I don't. They damaged someone else's property and acted obnoxious in public. And they did it while representing the US.

• Like 2

To contrast the drama of these foolish men, this was an interesting little piece about Anthony Ervin https:[email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>[email protected]0#.6383rck4w

He has an amazing story! I heard about what he did with his medal last week, and I was blown away...I don't think I could be that selfless!

• Like 2

Just read this on FB and it cracked me up:

Did you hear what Ryan Lochte said about the robbery incident?  
"I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those MEDALING kids!"

(#ruhroh #scoobydoohumor)

Okay, sorry.... I couldn't help myself. :D :D

Resume serious discussion....

• Like 12

I wonder why the US teams don't have "minders" or "babysitters" or "bodyguards". It seems like in Rio they might have benefited from all of the above! Considering the vast expense of the Olympics, it'd be a small investment to add a security detail to follow them around when they are out of the Olympic Village/training areas/etc. I wager that future Olympics might just have that . . . Just to protect their safety and their reputations . . . 

Just read this on FB and it cracked me up:

Did you hear what Ryan Lochte said about the robbery incident?

"I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those MEDALING kids!"

(#ruhroh #scoobydoohumor)

Okay, sorry.... I couldn't help myself. :D :D

Resume serious discussion....

Lol. How about this one?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJQs-OAgXBA/

• Like 3

I wonder why the US teams don't have "minders" or "babysitters" or "bodyguards". It seems like in Rio they might have benefited from all of the above! Considering the vast expense of the Olympics, it'd be a small investment to add a security detail to follow them around when they are out of the Olympic Village/training areas/etc. I wager that future Olympics might just have that . . . Just to protect their safety and their reputations . . .

I know in 1996 in Atlanta some of the teams did. For example, the US gymnasts did not visit the Olympic Village until they finished competing. They stayed in a house outside the Olympic Village. Most of them were under the age of 18. (I don't know why I remember this, but since I was a student at GT at the time, I could, and did, roam the Olympic Village freely.)

Umm ... It's the same individuals who are giving the team a bad name. It Locate was not on the team, there likely would not have been a controversy. It seems unfair to judge a whole sport on the actions a a few individuals.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The fact that Lochte has actually managed to make Michael Phelps look like a responsible adult is what impresses me most :rofl:

I found the apology he issued to be ridiculous. 

“It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country — with a language barrier — and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave,†he said in the statement.

I'm sure it was traumatic.  But it happened because you were vandalizing a gas station!  It wasn't like you were just walking around minding your own business.  You were committing a crime in a foreign country with an entirely different system than you are used to.   I'm surprised at the people saying "but he didn't deserve to have a gun pulled on him".  Maybe not, but when you commit a crime, especially in another country, you are putting yourself in a situation where all kinds of crap you don't deserve might happen. The answer to that is, be really careful in another country and especially don't commit any crimes.

Seriously. He is old enough to know better, and his apology still sounded like he was trying to blame Brazil.  "I was only vandalizing, but those crazy Brazil people pulled a gun on me!  They wanted me to actually pay for the damage! Poor me!"  

Nope.  No sympathy here.

• Like 13

“It’s traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country — with a language barrier — and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave,†he said in the statement.

I'm sure it was traumatic.  But it happened because you were vandalizing a gas station!  It wasn't like you were just walking around minding your own business.  You were committing a crime in a foreign country with an entirely different system than you are used to.   I'm surprised at the people saying "but he didn't deserve to have a gun pulled on him".  Maybe not, but when you commit a crime, especially in another country, you are putting yourself in a situation where all kinds of crap you don't deserve might happen. The answer to that is, be really careful in another country and especially don't commit any crimes.

Seriously. He is old enough to know better, and his apology still sounded like he was trying to blame Brazil.  "I was only vandalizing, but those crazy Brazil people pulled a gun on me!  They wanted me to actually pay for the damage! Poor me!"  

Nope.  No sympathy here.

After I read it in an article online I said to myself "you mean Lochte's NON-apology". Ugh. It really does show how full of himself he is. 

• Like 2

I'm sure it was traumatic. But it happened because you were vandalizing a gas station! It wasn't like you were just walking around minding your own business. You were committing a crime in a foreign country with an entirely different system than you are used to. I'm surprised at the people saying "but he didn't deserve to have a gun pulled on him". Maybe not, but when you commit a crime, especially in another country, you are putting yourself in a situation where all kinds of crap you don't deserve might happen. The answer to that is, be really careful in another country and especially don't commit any crimes.

Seriously. He is old enough to know better, and his apology still sounded like he was trying to blame Brazil. "I was only vandalizing, but those crazy Brazil people pulled a gun on me! They wanted me to actually pay for the damage! Poor me!"

Nope. No sympathy here.

Seriously. Midnight Express, anyone?

• Like 1

Well he lost advertising agreements with Speedo and Ralph Lauren. So yeah, it's costing him.

It's about time. He's been a doofus for years. Fourth trip to the Olympics, numerous world Championships and international events and he tries to act inexperienced with behavior in foreign countries. I believe he's even competed in Rio previously.

I don't understand why Speedo kept him so many years. Ralph Lauren only contracted with him for these Olympics so that's not a real loss.

• Like 2

He has now lost all 4 of his endorsement deals - an estimated million dollars. He is facing a suspension and possibility of a ban from USA swimming, and a possible suspension by the US Olympic Committee.

I really couldn't believe the number of people I read in this thread saying none of his sponsors would care, he's a known party boy, etc. There's a difference between being a party boy and being a criminal creating an international incident. Brands really do care about their reputations and marketing associations.

• Like 2

He has now lost all 4 of his endorsement deals - an estimated million dollars. He is facing a suspension and possibility of a ban from USA swimming, and a possible suspension by the US Olympic Committee.

I really couldn't believe the number of people I read in this thread saying none of his sponsors would care, he's a known party boy, etc. There's a difference between being a party boy and being a criminal creating an international incident. Brands really do care about their reputations and marketing associations.

Do you really believe his partying never involved illegal behavior.

His stuff has been covered up better in the past. In fact he likely would have not had as much lost if he had listened to USA swimming reps on Sunday.

The 4 swimmers were told to say nothing more when the first bit his the news. Lochte in all his arrogance had to give interviews. For years he's learned someone will clean up his mess because people had. He made his mess too big by going to the media on his own.

• Like 2