Menu

S/O fun thread--silly kitchen gadgets you LOVE

Moxie

Immersion blender.

Crock pot - I actually have three.

Kitchen rasp.  This is really just a fine wood rasp with a sort of box it attaches to.  It's much nicer than grating fine things on a box grater, it will make garlic very mushy, you can do hard things like nuts or pamesean cheese, it's great for zesting citrus fruit.

• Like 1

Coffee maker

Microwave

Crock pot

Rock crock

Small food processor has come handy

Our new knives, never thought I'd love new knives that much

Citrus juicer

Peeler knife

A veggie slicer thingamaggig, can cut zucchini make it look like noodles, doesn't take room, it's easy to wash...love it

Lemon squeezer

Our lemon/lime/orange juicer. No, it doesn't get a lot of use, but it works SOO well.  https://www.amazon.com/Amco-Enameled-Aluminum-Lemon-Squeezer/dp/B0002V23BG

My little mini spatula I bought millions of years ago from pampered chef. It's the perfect size, and apparently--durable.

I used to love our stir crazy popcorn popper until it died, and I had to get a new model. Not feeling the love with this one.

I agree on the kitchen rasp aka microplane grater. Use it all the time! It's the best!

My mom had a cherry pitter that I absolutely LOVED growing up. We only used it when cherries were in season but every summer I wish I had one. I've searched and never found one that appeared similar.

Do you mean the kind where the cherry is in a little cup with a hole in the bottom, and a plunger pivots down and pushes the pit out through the hole?  I think I saw these fairly recently at Cost Plus World Market.  That is also the home of the World's Best Lemon Juicer, the yellow enamel one, which works far better than our fancy shmancy one for making marguaritas that has the measuring jigger in the top.

I love, love, love my All Clad cookwear.  It doesn't warp, it has no hot spots, the sides are thick like the bottom, it's almost nonstick.  It cooks everything so much better than anything else I have ever tried.

Ditto my Pampered Chef cranberry red stoneware.  Nothing sticks to it, it heats everything so evenly, and nothing scorches on reheating.  It's very attractive, too, so I like serving things in it; and the color suits an amazing number of holidays--Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Fourth of July.  It's quite remarkable, and I have a lot of it.  I passed up on getting the very shallow pizza pan size pan, and I regret it bitterly--I don't think they make it anymore.  

Ditto my Pampered Chef salad spinner--best one I have ever tried, and after the salad is thoroughly dry you can use the bowl to serve it in.  It even has a water tight snap on lid.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Do you mean the kind where the cherry is in a little cup with a hole in the bottom, and a plunger pivots down and pushes the pit out through the hole?  I think I saw these fairly recently at Cost Plus World Market.  That is also the home of the World's Best Lemon Juicer, the yellow enamel one, which works far better than our fancy shmancy one for making marguaritas that has the measuring jigger in the top.

We have a Cost Plus close by so I'll have to check out their selection. My mom's didn't look like any of the cherry pitters I've seen as an adult but Cost Plus has some hard-to-come-by stuff since they import things from overseas.

I very rarely buy single use gadgets.

But I love this tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-Meat-Chopper/dp/B00UF4WMDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470607867&sr=8-1&keywords=ground+meat+chopper

Several months ago, a friend used it while cooking loose sausage and I had to buy one. A fork is fine for breaking up ground meat, but this tool does a much better job.

A fork is fine for breaking up ground meat, but this tool does a much better job.

Fork? Never used a fork (except maybe on a block of frozen ground beef tossed directly in the pan, without thawing first). I just use a spatula - the same thing I'm using to stir everything with anyway. Works just fine.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

I have a sad and well documented LOVE of small appliances and kitchen gadgets.

I love:

My individual pie baker (makes 4 mini pies at once)

Pasta attachment to my kitchen aid (not the extruder, that wasn't a great pick)

Ninja smoothie blender thing

Plastic scraper for dirty pans

My giant box of parchment paper