Menu

Update: Help me plan my wedding (simple, relaxed, second)

lisabees

We want something simple, yet special.  It's a second marriage for both of us and we aren't quite sure how to do it.  I just want there to be a little stress as possible.  I fear that a simple backyard wedding would completely stress us out with getting the inside and outside of the house ready; food; details.

We know we want a celebration of sorts.  We know we'd like to include family and friends in the celebration.  We have six kids, so they would definitely want to be involved.

And who the heck can officiate the wedding?  We are atheists.

We are even stuck on wedding bands.  We want something that is uniquely us, but don't want to spend too much money.  He would like a local artist to design matching/complementary wedding bands.

If anyone has any ideas or experiences, please let me know!  Looking for all out of the box ideas!

UPDATE: We booked a place!  We booked an estate to house all out of town guests!  The property is beautiful and welcoming, with an amazing pool and arcade and special outdoor spaces.  I will do much of the cooking myself, with help from a few friends.  It will be low key, with the goal of getting to know his family (all from out of town).  There will be no typical wedding hoopla - just food and fun.  No more than 40 people total; we will pick a time that we go outside and say our vows with people surrounding us.  I found out that we can marry ourselves.

Oh - we selected coordinating wedding bands from etsy.  Crossing our fingers that they are good quality.

I could use thoughts on two more things:

Unique ways to include the 6 kids in our vows.

Awesome food ideas - especially for the three/four days we are there.  Breakfasts/lunch/snacks.  Dinner is easy and exciting for me to plan.  We are absolute foodies: I love to cook.  I will likely be making some kind of ethnic food for the "wedding" dinner - middle eastern or something.

Thanks ever so much everyone!!!!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 9

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would treat the ceremony separate from the celebration.

Have a quiet ceremony at the local court house with the justice of the peace or whatever official does the ceremonies.  Invite your kids - whichever ones are over 18 can sign as witnesses (or the court will provide if you need).  Low Stress.

Then, do the celebration later.  Pick a weekend, invite friends and family - heck, you can even do it at a park with less clean up.  Since it is seperate from the wedding, you can just visit with friends and family and enjoy the time together.

I personally think rings from a local artisan would be amazing - but not if it causes strife.  Ours came from a pawn shop and are still lovely.

• Like 4

Getting the bands designed sounds really special to me.  

I agree, having it at your home could be stressful.  Is there a local very colorful place with an indoor area you could rent for cheap?  Like maybe a place at the local park?  Is there a local, low key caterer that could come up with a very simple but tasty buffet?  A buffet would be easier and less stressful, IMHO, than a sit down meal.  Or could your children come up with the menu and ask friends and family to participate?  I had a cousin do that.  Everyone that wanted to coordinated with her to bring a dish to share.

• Like 1

As for who to marry you, anyone can get registered as a "minister of the church of life" or something like that, and then marry you. My husband has done it, and married several of his friends. Is there a friend or family member who you'd like to have do it? You could pay whatever fees are needed. 

Another idea, depending on budget, is a destination wedding just you and your intended, and the kids. Go somewhere as a family have it done there, then go out to dinner, as a family. Then have a celebration when you get back?

My husband and I were married, just the two of us, in Scotland as a combo wedding/honeymoon, then had people to the house for a scottish themed dinner to celebrate when we got back. If cleaning the house would be stressful, what about a private room at a restaurant? Doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive, a local pizza parlor even would be fun and nice. 

• Like 2

If we had to plan ours over, I'd do a celebration brunch buffet. Brunch solely because I love the foods. I'd do it somewhere like a park. That way people could eat and have fun. 

I am probably not helping. 

Our wedding bands came from a pawn shop type place. I think designing some could be either lovely, stressful, or both. But ours are lovely.

ETA: Congrats!

Edited by barnwife
  • Like 1

as for officiating- you should be able to get a justice of the peace.

My sister did her wedding in a park - then had a reception elsewhere.  I just happened to be hiking at mt. rainier when a group came along to a wide spot in the trail at a known scenic point - and had a wedding. (the women carried their heels, they were dressed up.)  those were both first weddings - but can work for you.

do something more casual at your home with cake and food in a buffet and not worry about tables and seating plans - or a restaurant depending upon  how many people you want to invite.

• Like 1

As for who to marry you, anyone can get registered as a "minister of the church of life" or something like that, and then marry you. My husband has done it, and married several of his friends. Is there a friend or family member who you'd like to have do it? You could pay whatever fees are needed. 

If you do this, check your state laws for whether or not the one who officiates needs a license to do so from the state. Some states, like mine, require the one who officiates to have applied for a license 3 business days before the wedding. If you go with a Justice of the Peace (local), then that person will already have been licensed by the state.

It depends which state you're in, but have a friend apply to become a Universal Life Church "pastor" -- I'm one, and have done a few friends' weddings. You also get a handy book that has an order of service (including my favorite, the "Jailhouse" service). http://www.ulchq.com/ -- Make sure you confirm the laws of your state.

If you can swing your own "pastor", I'd rent a pavilion at a park and have a huge potluck -- maybe you provide the burgers, hot dogs, and veggie dogs. Maybe get a big cake (because cake is fun!). Have everyone bring sides and drinks. Make sure you have a few frisbees. It would be even better if there was a lake you could swim at (it's hot here). 

Remember that it's a mindset. 

• Like 1

An all inclusive wedding chapel would be ideal for the ceremony. Google to find one. These are sometimes old churches that are converted and no longer belong to any religion offering any kind of legal ceremony from religious to entirely secular often giving the option of a local magistrate to officiate the ceremony. Pastors are not needed, marriage licenses signed by a legal representative with the state's authority - in some states even the Sheriff can do this - to witness it. Vows aren't even needed in many states. Want vows? Write your own, that's fine. These chapels normally are decorated in neutral tones with lots of white, greens, and creams so anything will go with it, and usually have pre-recorded music as well or offer musicians for a fee. Some are as low as $500 for a wedding of 100 people or less, but you will have to pay gratuities for sound person, the officiant, or getting in extra early if you want to do some of your own decorating. 

I would keep it small because BIG is not relaxed. Even medium sized weddings can be stressful for the bride and groom if they are the ones doing the planning and execution of the celebration. I would splurge for a restaurant or banquet hall that is pretty and pre-decorated, has their own catering/restauranting license so you can just pick from their options, pay a fee per head, and not worry. They will provide the china and table service, usually white tablecloths and napkins as well as tableskirting.

If you don't want the cost of a big decorated cake, go with the facility's dessert menu which then allows guests to have a choice.

You won't get any kind of table centerpieces included, but Dollar Tree stores have graduated sets of candle jars - tall, medium, and small - for 99c each. Put either battery operated pillar candles or regular in them, pick a color of tulle you like and tie tulle around each one, buy a dollar store gold or silver charger plate and nestle all three jars on each, and voila, instant centerpiece in under two hours of work. The facility will put them out for you if you have them all ready to go the day of.

Pick a small but pretty bouquet of in season flowers to keep the cost down, don't invest in a bouquet holder - just have the stems ties with ribbon, and do the same for attendants if you have any. If you need boutonnieres a single mini carnation with a sprig of baby's breath or lily of the valley tied with ribbon is not expensive at all from most florists because they are cheap flowers and not labor intensive to make.

I would splurge for a good DJ if you enjoy dancing, and then dance with your friends and family. Good food, good music, and keeping it small enough that you can take the time to greet all your guests, to chat with them and just hang out, that is the ticket to having a laid back celebration.

As for photos, you can either splurge on that, or just ask some friends who are good with cameras to take some shots for you and then upload them to Shutterfly.

The key is just getting an all inclusive, pre-decorated wedding chapel, and then finding a restaurant/hall venue that pretty much includes everything so you have very little you need to do.

• Like 1

We had a lovely secular service done by a Unitarian Universalist minister.  We even used their church.  We ended up joining, but they were super welcoming and accommodating to us as non-members.  (Unlike every other church we called)  That's another thought.  

I think for something small, local, and family oriented a park potluck is fine.  But that can also go up to an elegant 7 course meal in a fabulous venue.  It just depends on your budget and who you want to invite.  I would say it's always a bad idea to go in debt for a wedding.  Especially when you already have kids.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 3

We just went to a wedding where the couple had been together for nine years before marrying. It was her second and his ? They had six children between them, although only one still at home. They did do a backyard wedding, but they said they tuned the prep into a week long party. They both took the week off work and every day different family members and friends came to help. They had appetizers and cake with some of the food catered and some prepared during the week.

A friend got licensed so she could do the ceremony and the youngest child was the photographer. For me, the most moving part was the amazing vows they wrote. They told their story and really reflected the knowledge and experiences they gained over their long courtship.

• Like 1

I had my (only) wedding on an island, rented a house for a week and had the wedding in the weekend in the middle of that week. Everyone staying in this beautiful house overlooking the ocean was lovely.

I cooked all the food myself but hired someone to serve it even though it was buffet style. Making the food is easy if you choose correctly, such as masses of poached salmon, a bucket of shrimp (this I bought from the fish shop already steamed), salads, etc.

I'm a big fan of this back yard farmhouse type wedding and I'm planting wildflowers specifically with parties in mind ;)

• Like 2

Is there an activity or place that is special to you? You can think out of the box....bowling alley, restaurant, museum?

Park pavillion with cookout?

But I think if i had the budget, I'd do a private room in a restaurant, with a set menu, and cake. After whatever ceremony worked. 

• Like 1

Officiant: UU minister is a good option if you don't want to go the friend route and have to find out about licensing. There are plenty of atheists in most UU congregations, I promise (one of our congregational presidents was a very vocal atheist), so it's something UU ministers are familiar with. If you want the friend route, but don't want the legal concerns, go get a civil ceremony at the justice of the peace to cover the legal aspects, then have the friend officiate at the family/friends ceremony. You could even have your oldest child do it, or have all the kids take a part in officiating, if you wanted.

Reception: how elaborate do you want it? Growing up it was traditional for weddings in our social circle to have a simple afternoon reception with cake, punch, cookies, mints, nuts, cheese straws, sausage balls in the fellowship hall of the church following the reception, so it doesn't have to be a big sit-down dinner or even a meal, and doesn't have to include alcohol (a big expense and potential liability). Definitely dollar store for all sorts of centerpiece/decorating ideas (catalog for DollarTree https://www.dollartree.com/party-supplies/wedding-bridal/574c576c576/index.cat).I made fresh flower nosegays for my bouquet and my bridesmaids, wrapping and tying the stems with long ribbons, and we laid those on the reception food tables as part of the decorations. Potted flowering plants from the garden center with the pots covered with heavy plain or patterned wrapping paper can make great decorations that can be later planted at your home. We did potted mums for a fall wedding we helped with.

Cake: If you want a traditional wedding cake, you can get a small decorated cake that you can cut together (cheaper and easier to transport) from a local bakery, possibly at a grocery store, and then have sheet cakes or cupcakes to go with it. 

If I had it to do over again, I would worry a whole lot less about what the attendants wore, especially the women. I think a rainbow color scheme or variations on a particular color would work just fine, in a dress they have or would wear regularly, and I wouldn't worry about renting tuxes for guys, just wear a regular suit. Depending on how casual, you could even have them wear khakis and polos in the same rainbow/variation on a color as the women. Mix the colors in the flowers and decorations.

Favors: If you want favors, a recent wedding I attended had a candy buffet---various candies in apothecary jars with little scoops and small cloth bags (like for steeping spices) stamped with their names for guests to fill with their choice of the candies. Instead of stamping the bags, you could have small tags on the tie strings or use small paper favor boxes.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

You can get a Justice of the Peace, but be sure to get one who routinely does weddings. Sil made this mistake at her first wedding. The JP was clearly not comfortable, misprounounced everyone's names, and stumbled over the ceremony.

A lot of UU ministers do a lot of secular weddings. They can help you plan thoughtful vows and ceremony more than most JP's if that's what you want. If you have the money to hire someone, in your case, that's what I'd do since you're feeling a little at sea about how to make the second wedding feel right. A UU minister with a wedding side business will have experience making secular ceremonies that feel thoughtful and meaningful and know what sort of questions to ask to take that off your plate.

As others mentioned, if you have a friend or family member who you think would be good at it, there are online "churches" that you can register with as a minister and then perform the wedding.

I second looking into local parks and renting a pavilion. Cheap. Sometimes they're near public gardens or other pretty places. I had my (first) wedding in a public garden for a really cheap use fee. We couldn't set up much, but that was okay. We put out one row of chairs for the elderly family members. Then we had food in the pavilion afterward and there were benches there.

• Like 1

I had my (only) wedding on an island, rented a house for a week and had the wedding in the weekend in the middle of that week. Everyone staying in this beautiful house overlooking the ocean was lovely.

I cooked all the food myself but hired someone to serve it even though it was buffet style. Making the food is easy if you choose correctly, such as masses of poached salmon, a bucket of shrimp (this I bought from the fish shop already steamed), salads, etc.

I'm a big fan of this back yard farmhouse type wedding and I'm planting wildflowers specifically with parties in mind ;)

What does the bolded above mean?  How can you have a weekend in the middle of the week?

• Like 1

Thank you all so much!  I don't have time right now, but when I do, I will respond more specifically.  I am so grateful for your ideas and well wishes!

A friend just suggested that our oldest (23) perform the ceremony. He is actually the perfect person!

I would love to do a wedding on our "honeymoon" and then come back and do our vows with friends and family.  Not sure about that...

We always thought we would do it in a park; there is a lovely wildflower garden nearby.  And he just suggested the local historical society.

I am not so worried about the cost of food.  We are absolute foodies and would find that to be of utmost importance.  I love to cook, but I think it would stress me out to cook for my wedding.  

Ok - gotta go!  Thank you again!

Congrats, Lisa to you & your future dh!

If you're foodies & not concerned so much about $ for food, I'd pick a simple, lovely place (the ones you have mentioned sound great &/or use your own backyard) & hire a chef you love to cater for you.

(Or you could always do a wedding on the beach in Canada & hope the Canadian PM photobombs you. :D Check out hornblower's post.)

• Like 1

Thank you all so much!  I don't have time right now, but when I do, I will respond more specifically.  I am so grateful for your ideas and well wishes!

A friend just suggested that our oldest (23) perform the ceremony. He is actually the perfect person!

I would love to do a wedding on our "honeymoon" and then come back and do our vows with friends and family.  Not sure about that...

We always thought we would do it in a park; there is a lovely wildflower garden nearby.  And he just suggested the local historical society.

I am not so worried about the cost of food.  We are absolute foodies and would find that to be of utmost importance.  I love to cook, but I think it would stress me out to cook for my wedding.  

Ok - gotta go!  Thank you again!

Sounds like maybe it's time to see about booking a gourmet food truck! Or several! Or seeing what cool, hip catering companies are up and coming there!

• Like 2

Look at rings on Etsy for ideas.

There is a book called "Weddings for Grownups that I found really inspiring when we got married 20 years ago. I see something with this name by Carroll Stoner - I think it's the same book. It had some wonderful ideas and lots to think about.

We got married in the atrium courtyard of a city restaurant on a Saturday morning - had the ceremony right there, and finger food champagne and orange juice brunch afterwards. A friend took photos in a local park and we drove ourselves to the ceremony.

Edited by nd293
  • Like 1

A friend of mine remarried last September.

They picked their rings on Etsy. They rented a park enclosure for the reception and also brought in a tent as a backup ceremony location, but the weather was good and they did it all outside.

They said "no gifts" and assigned guests food and such to bring. They went with a BBQ/picnic menu.

His brother married them.

Frankly it was one of the nicest weddings I've ever been to in terms of being "together."

• Like 2

Congrats!

Having your oldest perform the ceremony sounds perfect!

A lot of our favorite places are available for events of all sizes...places like botanic gardens, arboretums, museums and even zoos. I would love to have an event in a place that already has meaning to everyone.

• Like 1

We got married in the atrium courtyard of a city restaurant on a Saturday morning - had the ceremony right there, and finger food champagne and orange juice brunch afterwards. A friend took photos in a local park and we drove ourselves to the ceremony.

That sounds lovely.

• Like 1

If you get a friend to officiate, get one who is comfortable with public speaking. I attended a funeral about a year ago. The family asked a friend to speak at the funeral, in the way that a pastor usually would in a church funeral.

The friend spent a lot of time saying things like, "Gee, I've never done something like this before..." and kept giggling nervously. There was all the, "I really didn't want to do this, but the family kept asking and I'm really not sure what to say..." And when she was done she just said, "Welp, I guess that's it then..." and the funeral director took over and was very professional and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

It was very uncomfortable. I wished she'd have just played it straight. Just stood up and said the comforting words, read a scripture, told a story about the deceased and sat back down.

So, if you get a friend to officiate, make sure it's someone who will play their part properly, even if they're faking it. No stutters or saying, "I've never done this before!" and focusing on themselves.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Lisabees -- Where do you live?

There is a woman on an island in Florida who makes rings out of natural material -- they are so cool. And they're not pricey. Yes, some of her stuff is very expensive, but I don't think the rings are. www.gogojewelry.com

I'd vote for going to the justice of the peace and then going out for a beautiful brunch or dinner with the family. I'd ask the justice to include the kids in the ceremony in some way. (I wouldn't want to clean my house and yard either.)

I'd give the kids fun jobs like decorating the car w/ lights and "just married" banners. I'd also give them each a piece of jewlery to always remember the day and to feel included.

Also, I love this: as you exit the justice, have all the kids blow bubbles. I'd also have nice family photos taken.

Have a ball!

Alley

• Like 2

I've had friends get married at the Fern Grotto on the Hawaiian island of Kauai.

Others got married at the Monterey Bay Aquarium--the ceremony was right in front of the big 3 story ocean tank, the bride wore a dark green ball gown that she sewed herself, and the aquarium catered the reception.

Someone else I know rented a B and B for 4 days including the whole weekend, and had the wedding and reception in the garden on Saturday.  The other B and B rooms were for family.  The bridal couple left for their honeymoon in French Polynesia on Sunday.  

I've seen weddings taking place at the local Renaissance Faire, no one I knew though.

Do you know about fairy rings?  When ancient redwoods fall, they have typically dropped seeds into the ground around them for many years.  It's not uncommon for a ring of 'daughter' redwoods to grow around where the massive trunk of the original redwood was.  If I were going to have a ceremony outside of a church, I think I might do it at one of those.  They are mysteriously beautiful, and bigger than you might think.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

Also if you have the budget, and don't want stress, how about hiring a wedding planner? They have all the contacts, and you can tell them exactly what is important to you, what you want, etc and they will search it out. We hired one for our wedding in Scotland, and it was a HUGE help.Well worth it. 

• Like 1

Others got married at the Monterey Bay Aquarium--the ceremony was right in front of the big 3 story ocean tank, the bride wore a dark green ball gown that she sewed herself, and the aquarium catered the reception.

We had our one-day honeymoon at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

• Like 3

Well, some outdoor ideas might have hiccups. Like you may need a permit for the beach (thinking of a TV episode where this was an issue). Do the parks have bathrooms that you have to get unlocked? I don't think I'd want everyone in formal wear having to use a park bathroom. But maybe that's just me. I had to have my sister go with me into a bathroom to help hold my dress.

If budget allowed, I'd be tempted to just find a location where they let you rent their area. Whether that be a convention center or a place with a big beautiful yard and gazebo or building access/yard. We didn't use it, but there was such a place near where we got married.

Do you already know where to find the artists? Is there a Craftmen's Guild?

• Like 1

Dh and I had a lovely wedding. Second marriage for both of us. We invited our parents and our children. There was also my very close friend who is a photographer....and dhs close friend who performed the ceremony...and his family. It took place at a bed and breakfast....they supplied a cake and punch and a lovely setting. 3 weeks after our wedding we had a huge reception...where we dressed up in our wedding attire again. It was very nice.

• Like 2

My cousin went online and got "ordained" so she could officiate her brother's wedding. Is there anyone over 18 that would want to do that?  Also parks or gardens at museums/parks are really nice, then go to the outdoor shelter for a quick reception. I'd think dressy causal for clothing though if doing an outdoor wedding.

ETA: Old coins turned into rings.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

You all have given me so many fabulous ideas.  I wish I could respond to each of you individually.  I love so many of your suggestions -

A destination wedding for the two of us and then celebrate with family and friends at home.  

A local park has a gorgeous barn and beautiful setting.  We could set up croquet etc.

Wildflower preserve - gorgeous, inexpensive, walking trails.

Backyard.  Maybe this isn't a bad idea after all.  All of his family is from Colorado; we would be stressing anyway about the outdoor projects that need to be completed!  We live on 4 acres.  Our land is beautiful.  I do think, however, that there is more to experience at a park type area.  But what if it rains?  Sigh.

Wherever it is, I like the idea of a rustic wedding.  Picnic tables.  Mason Jars filled with wildflowers.  Completely casual.  It just dawned on me that my 20 year old works for a rental company in the summers - we may be able to get a discount on things.

My SIL is a professional photographer.  Yay me!

I like two other ideas - 

Spending the week with family and friends, visiting and cooking.

Renting a house, going on a long hike with everyone, doing the same as above.

There are tons of amazing bed and breakfasts in the area.  They would be super expensive to rent out for a weekend.  But maybe something could work out.

We live in a suburb of Philadelphia.  We love to hike and cook and eat fantastic ethnic foods and visit small, walkable towns.  Just throwing that out there for my own sake!  We do love to walk at a local college.  Maybe there is something available there?

He would like a wedding - he has never had a "wedding".  His first was a quick ceremony with a JP.  His family was apparently bummed they weren't invited.  He wasn't married more than 6 years.  I was married for over 23 years with the traditional big wedding created by my mother. :)

I can't figure out how to find local jewelry artisans.  No luck with Craftsman's Guild.

• Like 1

With your location, you could do a weekend/week in the Poconos or New Hope?

I don't think you need to rent a B&B--house we rented was huge  (had a name LOL).and it was overlooking the ocean. I think it slept 20 or so. I mean it's just a house people rent when they go on vacation. There are pretty lake/river properties like that in the Poconos, I'm sure.

• Like 1

With your location, you could do a weekend/week in the Poconos or New Hope?

I don't think you need to rent a B&B--house we rented was huge  (had a name LOL).and it was overlooking the ocean. I think it slept 20 or so. I mean it's just a house people rent when they go on vacation. There are pretty lake/river properties like that in the Poconos, I'm sure.

Not a fan of the Pocono's, but we love the New Hope/Lambertville area.  We just went hiking at Stover Park yesterday.    We are only 25 minutes away. :)

Hmmm...off to look at rentals.  But it may seem silly, because we are so close!

ETA: madteaparty, since you're familiar with the area, the barn I am considering is in Tinicum Park.

Edited by lisabees

Many times colleges have small, non denominational chapels you can rent for a ceremony, as well as banquet rooms, etc. But I think a tent in your backyard would be fabulous as well. I love the rustic look, so much you can do with that. And you could do simple but really good food too, rustic things that are yummy but not fancy, if that makes sense. Heck...many barbecue companies will come to you, and smoke the food on site, cater it, etc. We thought hard about doing that. Potato salad, beans, corn, pulled meats, etc. 

• Like 1

Many times colleges have small, non denominational chapels you can rent for a ceremony, as well as banquet rooms, etc. But I think a tent in your backyard would be fabulous as well. I love the rustic look, so much you can do with that. And you could do simple but really good food too, rustic things that are yummy but not fancy, if that makes sense. Heck...many barbecue companies will come to you, and smoke the food on site, cater it, etc. We thought hard about doing that. Potato salad, beans, corn, pulled meats, etc. 

I believe you mentioned gourmet food trucks?  That is definitely popular around here.  I just don't know how to find the best ones.

Ah.  The trouble with being a foodie is we are sooo critical.  So, yes, pulled pork (pig roast if our two vegetarians don't oppose hee hee) and rustic type foods might be best.  

I do like the idea of a brunch, too, for the same reason.  Easier for us to be happy with the quality. :)

Oooh - we just ate at Zahav and liked it!  That might cost an arm and a leg for them to cater...

We want something simple, yet special.  It's a second marriage for both of us and we aren't quite sure how to do it.  I just want there to be a little stress as possible.  I fear that a simple backyard wedding would completely stress us out with getting the inside and outside of the house ready; food; details.

We know we want a celebration of sorts.  We know we'd like to include family and friends in the celebration.  We have six kids, so they would definitely want to be involved.

And who the heck can officiate the wedding?  We are atheists.

We are even stuck on wedding bands.  We want something that is uniquely us, but don't want to spend too much money.  He would like a local artist to design matching/complementary wedding bands.

If anyone has any ideas or experiences, please let me know!  Looking for all out of the box ideas!

The two of you and a couple of friends to be witnesses, maybe the children, at the office of the Justice of the Peace, nice lunch at a nearby restaurant with the people who love you whom you would like to invite. And congratulations!

• Like 1

I believe you mentioned gourmet food trucks?  That is definitely popular around here.  I just don't know how to find the best ones.

Ah.  The trouble with being a foodie is we are sooo critical.  So, yes, pulled pork (pig roast if our two vegetarians don't oppose hee hee) and rustic type foods might be best.  

I do like the idea of a brunch, too, for the same reason.  Easier for us to be happy with the quality. :)

Oooh - we just ate at Zahav and liked it!  That might cost an arm and a leg for them to cater...

You can google for reviews of food trucks plus your city. Some of them are amazing! There was one in our area that had a food truck and did catering, all pasture raised meats, pork belly, amazing jams, all sorts of crazy stuff. Here is a list of food trucks in your area that do catering! http://roaminghunger.com/philadelphia/food-truck-catering/

And a pig roast would be tons of fun! 

Another idea is crawfish boil...with big trestle tables covered in butcher paper and then the crawfish and corn and potatoes and sausages spread out right on the tables. Huge fun. Or since you are in the northeast, a new england boil instead. (crabs? Shrimp?) Again, pretty sure you can hire a company to do it all for you. 

Edited to add a photo of crawfish boil:

boiled-crfawfish.jpg

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Not a fan of the Pocono's, but we love the New Hope/Lambertville area.  We just went hiking at Stover Park yesterday.    We are only 25 minutes away. :)

Hmmm...off to look at rentals.  But it may seem silly, because we are so close!

ETA: madteaparty, since you're familiar with the area, the barn I am considering is in Tinicum Park.

I don't know that park but did you see you need to be wrapped up by 9pm?

• Like 1

The two of you and a couple of friends to be witnesses, maybe the children, at the office of the Justice of the Peace, nice lunch at a nearby restaurant with the people who love you whom you would like to invite. And congratulations!

Thank you and everyone for the well wishes.

I know this thread is about wedding ideas, but I cannot miss the chance to tell you all how absolutely lucky and honored I am to have found the man of my dreams.  Never before had I known what it was like to be absolutely loved and respected.  And the true joy is in loving My Wonderful Man back. Good, good stuff!

• Like 7

You can google for reviews of food trucks plus your city. Some of them are amazing! There was one in our area that had a food truck and did catering, all pasture raised meats, pork belly, amazing jams, all sorts of crazy stuff. Here is a list of food trucks in your area that do catering! http://roaminghunger.com/philadelphia/food-truck-catering/

And a pig roast would be tons of fun! 

Another idea is crawfish boil...with big trestle tables covered in butcher paper and then the crawfish and corn and potatoes and sausages spread out right on the tables. Huge fun. Or since you are in the northeast, a new england boil instead. (crabs? Shrimp?) Again, pretty sure you can hire a company to do it all for you. 

Edited to add a photo of crawfish boil:

boiled-crfawfish.jpg

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

Thank you so much!  I am looking into food trucks now...