Menu

Did you name your homeschool?

This year I'd like to choose a name for our homeschool that reflects something about us or our goals in education. We're having a lot of drama trying to agree on something though. My 7 year old daughter wound up writhing on the floor and moaning "it's hopeless!" Yesterday.

I want to figure it t soon because I'd like to make shirts for the kids to wear. It would be fun to have first day of school outfits, and to do pictures and make a big deal out of it this year.

Have any of you named your school?

Our homeschool doesn't have a fancy name:  just Zey Homeschool Academy. But.. we do have a motto, school colors (their favorites), and a mascot!  A word about the mascot - it's a dragon, specifically the dragon found on the Welsh flag, though I didn't realize it at the time is was the national flag, so I hope they don't mind we continue using it :)  I, too, had shirts printed up via Vista Print - very cheap with a coupon.  The t-shirts are long gone, but the embroidered polos (Vista Print dragon and Zey Academy) are still used occasionally as the smallest size at the time was adult small. 

Link to school identity post:https://kidblog.org/class/ZeyAcademy/posts/p224139:776

Here is a shot of them in their polos (not the best pic, but you get the idea):

sci-8-500x375.jpg

Edited by J&JMom
  • Like 1

We're not naming ours until I write up a high school transcript. And then it will be something like Street Name School or Street Name Academy.

I don't want a cutesy name on their high school transcript.

We have a motto. It's a quote: It is impossible for a man to begin to learn that which he thinks that he knows - Epictetus.

We learned about Epictetus in our science history class and that quote was inspiring to us all.

I like the idea of getting it on tshirts.

• Like 1

We have to give ours an official name in this state but it never gets used. I chose The Wellington School because DD loves her Hunter Wellington rain boots and would live in them if she could.

Susie

I like this idea. We're either using Street Name School or something like Chesterton Academy or Covington School. Something that sounds old monied and rich. Why? Just because. Lockwood Academy.

I think I'd like a snooty name for our school. :). We're ridiculously unsnooty, but I'd love a snooty name.

• Like 1

We register with a cover school, so they would issue DD's transcript, diploma, etc, but for unofficial stuff, we're "Mount Parnassus Academy", with a hydra as the mascot. Mount Parnassus is the home of the muses in Greek mythology, and one of the music theory books in my collection is "Gradus ad Parnassum" (Steps to Parnassus), which fascinated DD because it was in Latin.

DD picked the name at age 7, but it ages pretty well. She enjoys getting mail with the school name on it :). We also have the polo shirts from Vistaprint, a car magnet, etc.

My (and her) favorite was when she first took the NME, I returned the tests with a Mount Parnassus Academy address label and under that name, and her scores/medal came back with a post it note commented "Love your school name!".

Street Name Elementary. It will later become Street Name Middle School and then Famous Person(we have decided yet) High School. I want something normal sounding. I graduated from an Academy. It was our cover school. It meant nothing to me personally. If my husband was still in the Navy, I would call our school after his ship.

We're not naming ours until I write up a high school transcript. And then it will be something like Street Name School or Street Name Academy.

I don't want a cutesy name on their high school transcript.

We have a motto. It's a quote: It is impossible for a man to begin to learn that which he thinks that he knows - Epictetus.

We learned about Epictetus in our science history class and that quote was inspiring to us all.

I like the idea of getting it on tshirts.

I love that quote. I've been reading lately about how it takes humility to become truly educated.

Our homeschool doesn't have a fancy name: just Zey Homeschool Academy. But.. we do have a motto, school colors (their favorites), and a mascot! A word about the mascot - it's a dragon, specifically the dragon found on the Welsh flag, though I didn't realize it at the time is was the national flag, so I hope they don't mind we continue using it :) I, too, had shirts printed up via Vista Print - very cheap with a coupon. The t-shirts are long gone, but the embroidered polos (Vista Print dragon and Zey Academy) are still used occasionally as the smallest size at the time was adult small.

Link to school identity post:https://kidblog.org/class/ZeyAcademy/posts/p224139:776

Here is a shot of them in their polos (not the best pic, but you get the idea):

sci-8-500x375.jpg

That's so neat! I'm into sewing and stenciling graphics onto tees, so I'll be making their school clothes. My emblem will need to be simple enough to get carved into freezer paper and ironed on so I can paint it.

I'm just so stuck on the name! It needs to be able to grow with the kids.

I was considering Greenhouse Academy or Wildwood Academy because all 4 kids are named after plants. But I was also thinking of a name based on truth or bravery. We're moving in the next two years, so street name is out.

Street Name Elementary. It will later become Street Name Middle School and then Famous Person(we have decided yet) High School. I want something normal sounding. I graduated from an Academy. It was our cover school. It meant nothing to me personally. If my husband was still in the Navy, I would call our school after his ship.

I might go with Lincoln High School. In the movie Groundhog Day one of the characters went to "Lincoln" and I just liked the way it sounded when she said it.

• Like 1

That's so neat! I'm into sewing and stenciling graphics onto tees, so I'll be making their school clothes. My emblem will need to be simple enough to get carved into freezer paper and ironed on so I can paint it.

I'm just so stuck on the name! It needs to be able to grow with the kids.

I was considering Greenhouse Academy or Wildwood Academy because all 4 kids are named after plants. But I was also thinking of a name based on truth or bravery. We're moving in the next two years, so street name is out.

Would you like a name that combines nature and virtue? Birch and white chrysanthemum traditionally symbolize truth. Protea symbolizes courage.

I might go with Lincoln High School. In the movie Groundhog Day one of the characters went to "Lincoln" and I just liked the way it sounded when she said it.

Omg. That makes me want to name my school something from what about Bob. Hahaha.

• Like 1

We did for fun. Sometimes I use it when ordering school supplies. The girls love that! We have a griffin for a mascot named Todd. They are trying to create a school song they can all agree on. There is also a lot of arguing over colors. Too much Harry Potter me thinks.

Oh! We are Boekind Girls Prep

Edited by reign

We are Lextin Academy. I wanted something official sounding for transcripts someday and for any paperwork.

It's a combination of my name and my husbands. (Lexi and Justin). We haven't chosen a mascot but that sounds like a fun idea....

Yes, because we have to have a name to file our private school affidavit with the State of California. It was "Our Last Name" Christian School. But the HSLDA recommended people don't use their last name, I changed it to Liberty Christian School. I have no idea why it's called that. It just sounded good at the time.

This year I'd like to choose a name for our homeschool that reflects something about us or our goals in education. We're having a lot of drama trying to agree on something though. My 7 year old daughter wound up writhing on the floor and moaning "it's hopeless!" Yesterday.

"Hopeless Academy" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Our school is Thundercliff Elementary. My kids came up with the name (with a little guidance - one of the suggestions I gave was they could potentially use geographical terms, which they obviously did with the cliff part - not sure where the thunder came from).

Ours is named The Machen Athenaeum. I have yet to actually use the name anywhere; our state doesn't require a school name.

We also have a mascot (the mermoose) and colors (pink, green, and light blue - one color for each kid). I figure when the kids are a little older I'll make t-shirts or something, but my oldest doesn't even like to wear t-shirts, so, yeah.

I should do something artistic with the name and the mascot and display it in our school room. Then maybe the kids would remember that we even have a school name.  :laugh:

"Hopeless Academy" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Our school is Thundercliff Elementary. My kids came up with the name (with a little guidance - one of the suggestions I gave was they could potentially use geographical terms, which they obviously did with the cliff part - not sure where the thunder came from).

My kids might like hopeless academy. It sounds like something from a series of unfortunate events. Lol!

• Like 2

My kids might like hopeless academy. It sounds like something from a series of unfortunate events. Lol!

If you don't have to put it on anything official, then you could totally use it as a working name. You can always pick something else later.

• Like 1

I want to figure it t soon because I'd like to make shirts for the kids to wear. It would be fun to have first day of school outfits, and to do pictures and make a big deal out of it this year.

Have any of you named your school?

Yes, because it was required when we filled out our Private School Affidavit (California). But unlike you, I didn't name it something that reflected much of anything, just something that sounded like an actual school. :-)

• Like 1

My daughters' diplomas read SD Academy which stands for South Darcastle Academy for Young Gentry.  (It used to have a facebook page, it may still.  Both my daughters have left Facebook entirely and I never had an account)

My son is 16 and hates that name. So last weekend he and I chose a name for his high school.  I think we settled on NOVA STEM Academy.  He preferred NOVA STEM School for the "Gifted". (make sure gifted is in quotes)

I love alliteration and our last name starts with an H.   So, I went with (LastName) House.   But, that was only for the HalfPricedBook discount card.  By High School we will think of something else.  

LastName High. Duh. Still alliterates.

It has come up on forms a surprising number of times. You'd think that once you check "homeschool" that "school name" wouldn't be a required field. But, okay, whatever. Thus, yes, I just named us Rowhouse School or Rowhouse Homeschool. Because we live in a rowhouse. Not super creative.

My daughters' diplomas read SD Academy which stands for South Darcastle Academy for Young Gentry. (It used to have a facebook page, it may still. Both my daughters have left Facebook entirely and I never had an account)

My son is 16 and hates that name. So last weekend he and I chose a name for his high school. I think we settled on NOVA STEM Academy. He preferred NOVA STEM School for the "Gifted". (make sure gifted is in quotes)

We must live nesrish to one another. I'm in NOVA too!

We (for fun) call our school street name school. (I am the Sultan). We are moving, so we decided on a new name. We will be New-street-name Consolidated School. My kids didn't know what consolidated meant, but they liked the sound of it. And we are consolidating junior high and elementary, so I guess that's fair. I love the idea of tshirts to celebrate our new name. Now we need to find a motto and a mascot.

We didn't have to name it, but chose to. Ours is "Saint Therese Homeschool". Saint Therese of Lisieux is a Catholic Saint who lived a very simple life, and thrived in honoring God through the every day little tasks. She teaches us that we can honor God, even if it's through simple tasks like laundry and dishes. Everything can be offered to Him if done with the right heart and good attitude.

We love her simplicity and her teachings. For many reasons we chose to name our school after her.