Menu

If you were just starting out hs'ing, what would you want to know?

I have had several close-ish friends contact me in recent months asking questions about pulling their kids out of ps to hs. I love their enthusiasm and sharing ideas with them about what has and has not worked for us, but fielding several phone calls and separate conversations from each of them has left me feeling a bit drained. So I invited them over to my home all at the same time this week to have a big hs'ing pow-wow - to talk, discuss, ask questions, look at curriculum, etc. while the kids swim - and hopefully only have to say all the same things once! lol

Judging from the number of phone calls I've received so far, they'll each probably come quipped with their own lists of questions and I won't have to guide the discussion at all. ;) But it made me curious what you all would ask if you were a new homeschooler and you had the opportunity to pick someone's brain.

• Like 2

Well I was a new homeschooler in October and I called a good friend and grilled her for hours. LOL

I asked questions about our state requirements.

I asked questions about how their day looks (they start early! Earlier than us for sure! And my friend, it turns out is very STRICT).

I asked questions about how they store their materials and where the kids work (at her house they ALWAYS at the kitchen table - the kids don't even have desks).

I asked so many questions I am sure she thought I was nuts....

But the most important thing was SHE ANSWERED THEM. She answered them ALL. She was patient and helpful. She loaned me a few materials and talked me through issues.

What I most needed to know was that someone would help me and I wasn't all alone.

• Like 10

But the most important thing was SHE ANSWERED THEM. She answered them ALL. She was patient and helpful. She loaned me a few materials and talked me through issues.

What I most needed to know was that someone would help me and I wasn't all alone.

:001_wub:

Thank you for this ... it's good to be reminded where I was not so many years ago!

• Like 1

Things I asked when I first started looking into this:

1.  What local resources are there for homeschoolers?

2.  How might a day be structured?

3.  Are there any local or nearby homeschooling conventions I could attend?

4.  What are some good resources for educational materials?

5.  What are the state/national/local laws that govern what I can and cannot do?

6.  What are graduation requirements for my state and how will homeschooling affect my child's ability to get a High School Diploma/get accepted into college/get a job?

7.  What are some good books to read/websites to read about homeschooling?

8.  What are some good resources for helping me organize and plan?

You might consider asking THEM a few questions, first, not for them to share with you ahead of time but to think about before the meeting and possibly to write down to refer to and think about during the meeting.  Maybe you could just send out a typed up list by email for them to think over...

1.  Why are you considering homeschooling?

2.  What are your goals for homeschooling?

3.  What do you see as the pros and cons of homeschooling?

4.  Is your family (immediate) on board with this decision?  If not, how strongly are they against it?  Or have you said anything yet? How do you plan to deal with any opposition/concerns?

5.  Are any of your children struggling academically?  Why do you think that is?

6.  What are you hoping to get out of this meeting? (maybe you could actually ask them to email you their responses to this one ahead of time since it might help you with addressing the needs of those participating).

I found that once I wrote some things down and really thought about it all, it helped me to focus my questions and ask things that were more pertinent to my specific needs/situation.  Before that things seemed a bit nebulous and I was all over the place.  Thinking it through and writing things down helped me to not waste my friend's time or hit her with lots of repeat questions.  We got more accomplished.  It might help your friends, too?

• Like 4

I was just thinking about my mentor that I had for those first few years. She was awesome. She never made me feel like her homeschooling more children and older children made her job any more important than mine; she never made me feel inferior. She never made me feel silly for looking and re-looking at curricula. She was the same way, and she was a veteran, and being curriculum crazy is OK; sometimes it is a personality type! She helped me focus on the raising of my kids, without saying that "homeschooling the younger years wasn't really that important". (And she did that by telling me what great books she had just read herself on raising kids, or what speakers she had just listened to give talks on raising kids. When I asked, she would also tell me what books she had loved when her kids were going through "xyz", but for the most part it was what she was learning that day or week and that she was still learning!) By her actions and her life, she let me know that we were in the trenches together. We were obviously at different stages, but the struggle is real - no matter what stage you are at. Looking back, yeah, I can see how silly I probably seemed to her. But she never made me feel that way. She was always encouraging and always real, and she always, always, always made me feel like what I was doing was important. Not that it would be important later or when the kids were older, but that it was important now.

I can hear in your post that you are busy, and while I don't have specific questions to suggest, I would just gently remind that these gals are excited and they are scared. They want to have concrete ideas that will be useful to their kids and they want to raise their kids in the best way possible. A large majority wants to do school at home - don't make them feel lousy for that. Introduce the different paths, but don't hold them to one. I have such a soft spot in my heart for newbie homeschoolers. I was treated incredibly well, and I was also incredibly hurt by some at the beginning of this journey. So, love on them. Encourage them. Let them make mistakes without telling them you told them so. Let them know that you stand beside them as a fellow homeschooler.

I was just thinking about my mentor that I had for those first few years. She was awesome. She never made me feel like her homeschooling more children and older children made her job any more important than mine; she never made me feel inferior. She never made me feel silly for looking and re-looking at curricula. She was the same way, and she was a veteran, and being curriculum crazy is OK; sometimes it is a personality type! She helped me focus on the raising of my kids, without saying that "homeschooling the younger years wasn't really that important". (And she did that by telling me what great books she had just read herself on raising kids, or what speakers she had just listened to give talks on raising kids. When I asked, she would also tell me what books she had loved when her kids were going through "xyz", but for the most part it was what she was learning that day or week and that she was still learning!) By her actions and her life, she let me know that we were in the trenches together. We were obviously at different stages, but the struggle is real - no matter what stage you are at. Looking back, yeah, I can see how silly I probably seemed to her. But she never made me feel that way. She was always encouraging and always real, and she always, always, always made me feel like what I was doing was important. Not that it would be important later or when the kids were older, but that it was important now.

I can hear in your post that you are busy, and while I don't have specific questions to suggest, I would just gently remind that these gals are excited and they are scared. They want to have concrete ideas that will be useful to their kids and they want to raise their kids in the best way possible. A large majority wants to do school at home - don't make them feel lousy for that. Introduce the different paths, but don't hold them to one. I have such a soft spot in my heart for newbie homeschoolers. I was treated incredibly well, and I was also incredibly hurt by some at the beginning of this journey. So, love on them. Encourage them. Let them make mistakes without telling them you told them so. Let them know that you stand beside them as a fellow homeschooler.

:iagree:  Lovely post.

• Like 1

In addition to what theelfqueen said, I would ask:

1.  how do you manage it all! 

2.  Where do you go for more information?

3.  How do you know all the different curricula?

4.  Your ups and downs of curricula and situations

Truth be told, as a new homeschooler I didn't know what questions to ask.  We were forced to homeschool for whatever reason and I had a couple of friends who already had their heart set on homeschooling.  So, lucky for me, they told me about the WTM book and amblesideonline.  I eventually went onto this forum and this forum has helped me tremendously.  I spent the first year reading every thread under prek/k subforum, K-8 subforum, general education subforum, bilingual subforum and AL subforum.  The questions that other moms were asking were new to me and stuff that I didn't even think about.  I can't think of an example right now, but I'm telling you every night for about a year that's all I did. 

Discussions that may be helpful for them:

1.  Different philosophies (CM, classical, unschooling, etc.)

2.  Different type of learners (kinesthetic, visual, auditory)

3.  ALs may take a different path

4.  LDs may take a different path

5.  lurk on this forum for a while

6.  What curriculum didn't work for your child and why, and on the flip side, what did work and why. 

Extra hints/advice:

1.  Obviously tell them about this forum.  :)

2.  I would like to know about Cathy Duffy's site.

3.  One can google a topic and add well trained mind to the topic to get more reviews.

I guess my point is that there are information that you could probably tell them that they haven't thought of before.  It's one thing reading about what one needs to teach their children and another thing actually how one homeschools.  kwim? 

As a new homeschooler, I would like to know these things and knowing that you will be able to help is a relief as well. 

Good luck and I hope it goes well.  :)

ETA:  OneStep and ~Phoenix made good points. 

I am actually glad they're asking me and excited to be able to share our experiences with them. Sorry if I gave the impression I'm not! I just feel like they're all wanting to know the same kinds of things and being able to talk about it all as a group instead of several identical conversations will be beneficial (for all of us).

But I so appreciate your wise words and the encouragement not to try to make their homeschool look just like mine ... or each others' ... or any preconceived notion ... or whatever.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Things I asked when I first started looking into this:

1. What local resources are there for homeschoolers?

2. How might a day be structured?

3. Are there any local or nearby homeschooling conventions I could attend?

4. What are some good resources for educational materials?

5. What are the state/national/local laws that govern what I can and cannot do?

6. What are graduation requirements for my state and how will homeschooling affect my child's ability to get a High School Diploma/get accepted into college/get a job?

7. What are some good books to read/websites to read about homeschooling?

8. What are some good resources for helping me organize and plan?

You might consider asking THEM a few questions, first, not for them to share with you ahead of time but to think about before the meeting and possibly to write down to refer to and think about during the meeting. Maybe you could just send out a typed up list by email for them to think over...

1. Why are you considering homeschooling?

2. What are your goals for homeschooling?

3. What do you see as the pros and cons of homeschooling?

4. Is your family (immediate) on board with this decision? If not, how strongly are they against it? Or have you said anything yet? How do you plan to deal with any opposition/concerns?

5. Are any of your children struggling academically? Why do you think that is?

6. What are you hoping to get out of this meeting? (maybe you could actually ask them to email you their responses to this one ahead of time since it might help you with addressing the needs of those participating).

I found that once I wrote some things down and really thought about it all, it helped me to focus my questions and ask things that were more pertinent to my specific needs/situation. Before that things seemed a bit nebulous and I was all over the place. Thinking it through and writing things down helped me to not waste my friend's time or hit her with lots of repeat questions. We got more accomplished. It might help your friends, too?

That's a good idea, to start with asking them some questions. Thanks!

In addition to what theelfqueen said, I would ask:

1. how do you manage it all!

2. Where do you go for more information?

3. How do you know all the different curricula?

4. Your ups and downs of curricula and situations

Truth be told, as a new homeschooler I didn't know what questions to ask. We were forced to homeschool for whatever reason and I had a couple of friends who already had their heart set on homeschooling. So, lucky for me, they told me about the WTM book and amblesideonline. I eventually went onto this forum and this forum has helped me tremendously. I spent the first year reading every thread under prek/k subforum, K-8 subforum, general education subforum, bilingual subforum and AL subforum. The questions that other moms were asking were new to me and stuff that I didn't even think about. I can't think of an example right now, but I'm telling you every night for about a year that's all I did.

Discussions that may be helpful for them:

1. Different philosophies (CM, classical, unschooling, etc.)

2. Different type of learners (kinesthetic, visual, auditory)

3. ALs may take a different path

4. LDs may take a different path

5. lurk on this forum for a while

6. What curriculum didn't work for your child and why, and on the flip side, what did work and why.

Extra hints/advice:

1. Obviously tell them about this forum. :)

2. I would like to know about Cathy Duffy's site.

3. One can google a topic and add well trained mind to the topic to get more reviews.

I guess my point is that there are information that you could probably tell them that they haven't thought of before. It's one thing reading about what one needs to teach their children and another thing actually how one homeschools. kwim?

As a new homeschooler, I would like to know these things and knowing that you will be able to help is a relief as well.

Good luck and I hope it goes well. :)

ETA: OneStep and ~Phoenix made good points.

I've been wondering if I should tell them about the forums yet or not ... I know I was terrified that whole first year of lurking! Lol

My neighbors asked about IEPs and 504s. We can get services from the district as homeschoolers.

They also asked about availabilty of outsourced classes. For example, their kids go to Mathnasium for afterschool tuition. Could they hire a math tutor to teach math if they homeschool? Same goes for english, if they aren't comfortable teaching, can they pay Sylvan or a school teacher to come to their home and teach?

Then they ask about annual testing. What tests can their kids take to satisfy relatives and also schools if they intend to send their kids in a few years time to B&M high schools.

• Like 1

1. The law

2. Where to find resources (co-ops/groups, philosophies, curriculum, more advice, support, reviews, etc)

3. What a typical day might look like

4. Reasonable expectations for different ages

5. Every homeschool is different, every child will have their own way to perceive the world and odds are its very different from your own (okay maybe I didn't want to know that as a new homeschooled, but I feel like everyone needs to hear it!)

• Like 2

My Top Three:

1. Everyone's family is different, so how we homeschool will look different. Families vary in regard to ages, numbers, spacing, and genders of children; learning challenges and/or special needs; available finances; ability to organize, plan, and teach; outside resources; space in the home; work schedules; energy levels; and so on. Ultimately, these factors seem to lead to differences in how we carry out our work, even if our philosophies may be similar. My advice would be to try really, really hard to not compare yourself or your family to any other family. That leads to Observation #2...
  2. Everyone seems to have a different philosophy of homeschooling, LOL. Seriously, everyone. For every person homeschooling, I think there is that particular variation on "philosophy." My advice would be to listen to what other people say through the filter of your own convictions -- you can hear it, but not be tossed to and fro by it.
  3. What we do daily is important, but not as important as what we do consistently. By that I mean, even if we can't get to everything in a day (and we won't), if we consistently move along over time, then the foundations can be solidly built. My advice would be to focus less on having the "perfect day," and more on working consistently over months and years.
  • Like 4

Don't plan too far ahead.  Plan about a year, and be ready to be flexible.

Start slow, one or two subjects, and add one a week until you have everything humming along.  Establish a routine.

Have fun.

Read aloud every day, a lot, several hours worth, interspersed with other things.

Go on frequent educationalish field trips.  One every week or two.

Go ahead and buy too much curriculum that first year.  There is no avoiding it.   It's fine.  It helps you figure out what is going to work.

Having said that, use it.  Don't sit around and study it and never teach it.

Remember, this is your job.  Take it  seriously. 

But have fun.

• Like 4

Don't plan too far ahead. Plan about a year, and be ready to be flexible.

Start slow, one or two subjects, and add one a week until you have everything humming along. Establish a routine.

Have fun.

Read aloud every day, a lot, several hours worth, interspersed with other things.

Go on frequent educationalish field trips. One every week or two.

Go ahead and buy too much curriculum that first year. There is no avoiding it. It's fine. It helps you figure out what is going to work.

Having said that, use it. Don't sit around and study it and never teach it.

Remember, this is your job. Take it seriously.

But have fun.

Good practical advice. Thank you! Especially the buy too much curriculum part lol

Can that apply to non-newbies too?!? Please? ðŸ˜

• Like 1

How lovely and thoughtful of you to have them over!! Most of the questions I had back then have already been addressed (law, subjects, curriculum recommendations etc). But, a few things I have picked up in our journey:

1) This is not an easy job, and there will be days in which it feels like it was the worst decision ever. It's ok. It's an adjustment process, and each family finds their "groove".

2) Each family and home environment is different, therefore each homeschool is different.

3) more often than not, about half of the folks (reviews online etc) like a curriculum, and half doesn't. It takes trial and error to find what works for US.

4) Homeschooling is more than an educational choice, it's a life style.

5) It's ok to put on the breaks, drop school and take everyone for ice cream if it's one of those days (not that I have ever done that) 😵

6) The first year homeschooling is the hardest, it gets easier

• Like 1

I wish I had been taught how to PLAN.

What I was taught was how to schedule my day down to the minute, including precisely when my newborn could breastfeed and a stern lecture on why my children had to be in bed by 8 and up at 6 if we were to have a good Christian home. 🙄

Anyway, I never did really learn how to look ahead a little... I read TWTM of course, but I didn't use everything recommended so I didn't know how to plan out books or series from other publishers. (Not story books, but history or science etc.)

I didn't know how to look at the big picture of a school year and intentionally skip, combine, or condense lessons so we would always be quitting with the last 20 lessons undone or feeling stressed to catch up all the time. I didn't know that it really was OK to do History and Science 4 days a week so that we could just focus on math and reading on our one busy out of the house day.

• Like 6

I didn't know how to look at the big picture of a school year and intentionally skip, combine, or condense lessons so we would always be quitting with the last 20 lessons undone or feeling stressed to catch up all the time. I didn't know that it really was OK to do History and Science 4 days a week so that we could just focus on math and reading on our one busy out of the house day.

I have been thinking about this all day since I read it this morning. I think I just take it for granted that it's ok to do these kinds of things, but it probably is really important to tell someone just starting out. Thanks!

• Like 1

I am a newbie, and I'm sure my veteran friends would tell you I have lots of questions.

First, make sure they know that homeschooling doesn't have to look like public school. You said they are pulling their kids out of ps, so take some time this summer to reconnect and get to know their learning styles.

It's okay to meet your kids where they are at. It's super hard to get out of the ps grade level mind set.

I'm from a tiny town, so finding Co-ops and extracurricular activities is proving to be difficult. Any direction in that area would probably be helpful.

And also, a bad day does not mean the whole idea is bad.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

These are the things I wish I had known/known about when I started:

1.  Well trained mind forums and classifieds!

2.  homeschoolclassifieds.com

3.  rainbowresource.com or timberdoodle.com or christianbook.com

4.  Do Not buy all the levels of a curriculum that you think you and your children will like!  Only buy one level and see if you like it!

5.  If you are going to resell your curricula, it's best to buy the curricula that is popular right now because those are the ones that have the best resale value!  So, then, one needs to know what that curricula

is!

6.  cathyduffyreviews.com

7.  homeschoolreviews.com

8.  homeschoolbuyersco-op.org

9.  All non-core classes can still be taken at a public school, and services such as special education speech therapy can still be utilized through the public school, at no cost!

10. Unless money is not an issue, use the library as much as possible for readers!  Don't fall into the trap of buying all your books new with a curriculum!

If I think of more, I'll edit this post.

• Like 1

This would be my advice to those just starting out:

- Make sure both parents are on board with the idea of HSing

- Start only with the 3R's

- Get your home and schedule organized before you begin

- If kiddos are defiant, lazy, etc, in a general sense you will have to get that figured out before you start or HSing will not work.

I would not overwhelm parents with too much info. Giving them some curricula suggestions for the 3R's and info on your state's laws might be enough. Answer their questions of course, but I think folks are better equipped to evaluate philosophies and long lists of curricula with some experience under their belt.

• Like 1

Looking at this thread in chat, another question would be the feasibility of homeschooling while working part time.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/614077-do-you-like-being-a-home-school-parent/

A friend worked from home as a magazine sub-editor. She pays for babysitting whenever she has to attend meetings in office. Her husband works two days from home and three days at office but would need to go back to office on work from home days if there is an urgent meeting.

During the recession years, quite a few neighbors pulled kids out of private schools into public schools and went back to work when their hubbies were unemployed or working hours/pay was reduced. So the local sentiment is for SAHMs to have a foot in the job market just in case even if it is freelance jobs like babysitting, tutoring, dog walking.

• Like 1

A year from now I'll have two graduates, both homeschooled the whole way, even preschool.

It's an educational journey, not "school" in the sense that most of us think of. You aren't bound by certain hours, days, and pacing. Your children aren't robots either. What is an issue one month may not be the next month or the next year. Don't compare your children to others and don't put them in places where they aren't. Homeschooling allows for a custom education, so make the most of it within reason.

You can make rough plans, but only do the details one year at a time so that you can focus on what your children need at that time. Some of us get overwhelmed or spend too much time planning ahead when the time is best spent near implementation. Don't worry about high school until 7th or 8th grade.

I always started on the next year in December after Christmas because I had time and could bounce things off DH. Then I started buying in January, watching for deals. I aimed to have the curriculum in place by July 1st.

It's OK to choose mom-friendly curriculum and even outsource. I started out custom and went to scripted. Buying things broken down into clear lessons didn't mean that mean mine received an inferior education. If crafts and hands-on stuff drive you batty and you have a hands-on kid, don't be afraid to outsource or take advantage of local free and/or low-cost opportunities. You might be able to swap with a friend or co-op for that sort of thing. My younger one was always crafty, and we did co-op crafts, bartered classes, and classes at Michaels/Joanns/Home Depot. In high school, I outsourced history/lit because it's not a strength of mine, and mine seemed to thrive on discussion with peers and someone other than me. My crafty one is in a history/lit class that does lapbooking and a lot of art projects, and it's been the best part of her high school. I also outsourced high school languages and math for one of mine. It's not a sign of failure to need someone else to handle a subject as you go. Your job is to get them educated with whatever resources are available to you.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 3

My two biggest questions I wished I had had someone to ask were:

1) what are my curricula options- what catalogs can/should I request or can I get a list of websites? (I would've loved to have known about WTM or Cathy Duffy at the start).

2) How do I grade writing? I started with a 7th grader. I knew my writing could not be the bar, but I had no idea where the bar should be or how to find the bar. I really could have used some guidance in telling me how to deal with all of that and point me to a program to help me. The boxed curriculum I started with had writing assignments but no consistent rubric or grading help.

Throw some good blogs in with those and I would've been set!!! Don't forget to tell them about the podcasts out there too. Some of those are beyond helpful!

I think it's awesome of you to do this. I wish I had had someone like you around when I started! :)

I picked up Well Trained Mind at the library and am only so far into it and am finding it helpful.  I am struggling to find time to read it and it's like HUGE.  But I am working it all out. 

On a happy note, you really only need to read the parts pertinent to your kids' stage, so that makes it a little more digestible. Skipping the other parts won't hurt. ;) I don't think I've read it yet in any sort of order. I hope to do so with the new edition though, since I now how kids on both ends of the spectrum. 

State laws and policies are important. Read them carefully, then discuss with several irl homeschoolers to make sure you understood all the salient points.

Caviar's #9 is not true in my state. No part-time ps here. That would be an enormous issue to get wrong if you were planning high school!

I second the start slowly advice. 3Rs first.
Visiting with a couple of homeschooling families who have different philosophies and seeing how their days looked was hugely helpful for me.

The Well-Adjusted Child by Rachel Gathercole helped me be prepared to answer the Socialization questions. And know when not to bother! ;)

I kept a journal from a year or so before we started with notes from books and articles I read, conversations, and experiences related to home education. Very helpful to clarify my thinking.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I love the responses but I didn't see my biggest question. "Can I really do this homeschooling thing?" I solved this by listening to what the day looks like for other people and seeing if that was doable for me. WTM book had the schedule part in it that really helped. WTM seemed confusing at first, lots of parts. The Three R's book was a good balance to WTM book. It kept saying relax, you can do this. I still have both books and will keep them as a reminder of my humble beginnings in this journey.

Oh, I would tell them: "When in doubt or tired: READ!" The Jim Trelease book The read-aloud handbook is great for this. I feel like as long as reading is done each day you can't really mess up your kids too bad. They then have the skill to advance themselves.

• Like 2

You had gotten a lot of great advice. I really wanted to know what days looked like, it was helpful for a couple moms to show me how they planned, but then also walk me through their day.

In my local area it seems a lot of new homeschooling moms gravitate toward the most expensive curriculum, especially for teaching reading, assuming it's the best. I also see a lot of people post on local boards, "need everything for 2nd grade" without really knowing what they want/need. I think knowing about resources such as WTM, Cathy Duffy, etc. would help a lot of parents save money and make better choices for their kids.

• Like 1

In my area, new homeschoolers are flocking to large, highly structured, expensive tutorials. They seem to assume that a tutorial is necessary. I find many of these moms have not researched educational philosophies or approaches. They have not really looked at various curricula nor done any assessment of their students' strengths and weaknesses. They are just doing what everyone else is doing or what a friend recommended without doing the groundwork first. 

I would suggest that people not begin that way!

Adding a tutorial or a co-op after you have figured out which way is up can be great, but I think it can be a time waster and can keep a family from developing the confidence and independence that homeschooling really demands. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

I would have some easy-to-understand info about what homeschooling actually looks like in your state.  My state (PA) supposedly has a lot of rules, and it does, but they're a lot easier to follow in reality than they are on paper.  It can be overwhelming to read the law at first, so when I meet new hs'ers here, I give them a lot of reassurance about how we actually meet the requirements of the law.  I also invite them to our group's annual portfolio share so that they can see what other people do and use.

I recommend the Clarksons' book, Educating the Wholehearted Child, to a lot of people, but I also wonder if it's outdated by now.  But something like it, with an overview of different styles, can be really helpful.  I tell people to read whatever they can, and after a bit, some aspects will jump out at them, and then they can read more about those styles.

I'm happy to show people what materials I use, how I structure my day, how I find good deals, how I plan, etc., but I think that can be a little overwhelming right at first.  

Maybe start by asking them what their concerns are?  Like, what are they reacting against by pulling their kids out of school?  Those families often have different needs than those who planned to homeschool from birth.  Also, do they have subjects that they aren't comfortable teaching?  I think just getting them to open up a bit can help figure out what they need.  Also, are they planning to put their kids back in public school at some point?  They might want a more formal sort of program in that case, so that they're aligned with the public school scope and sequence.

I might also give them info about local support groups.  Maybe co-ops but not necessarily.  However, give them places they can go to make friends, swap ideas, have field trips, etc. so they don't feel isolated and alone (and so they can assure naysaying relatives that the kids are being properly socialized, haha).

Then I would follow up with them in a few days and then check in with them again in a few months or halfway through the year, to see how things are going, if they have more questions, if they're finding materials that work for them, etc.  Sometimes you think of more questions, but you don't want to bug anyone, so you don't ask; I try to check in with new hs moms in our group a couple of times a year, especially those who are coming from public school, to see if/how I can help and support them once they're "in the trenches."

• Like 2

I AM new to homeschooling. We have only done it about a month. And the biggest thing I am struggling with figuring out is...how to know WHAT to teach. How do I know what my kids SHOULD know. And then, how to sequence that all out. For me, I know how to plan lessons, I have lots of ideas, lots of things I want to teach, etc etc. But, even back when I was teaching decades back, I struggled with figuring out how to know what to teach. I am planning to homeschool for at least this next year, and we might go longer, but I already know that I am putting my kids back in school at some point. I do not plan to homeschool high school at all, and go back and forth on middle school. But if we move to a great district next year and I am happy with the elementary schools there, I may very well have them back in school in 3rd, and 1st (DS3 still has time lol) So for me, having my kids at grade level for when they go back is important.

I picked up Well Trained Mind at the library and am only so far into it and am finding it helpful. I am struggling to find time to read it and it's like HUGE. But I am working it all out.

WTM is wonderful. I love it and use it, always have...

but if you are wanting a little more information about what each grade looks like, or roughly what should (or could) be covered each year, here are some more resources for you:

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp

World Book Encyclopedia "Typical Course of Study" (grades pre-K-12)

Core Knowledge "What Your _____-Grader Needs to Know" series

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum - A Guide to Catholic Home Education by Laura Berquist

When I first began homeschooling in 1998, I also looked at my state's academic standards every year, to make sure I'd covered everything. I stopped doing that by the time my eldest child was in second or third grade, because as I looked at those standards every year, we'd covered nearly everything without even trying. LOL But this was a useful exercise at the beginning, for me.

After time, I gained confidence and realized that WTM and Charlotte Mason offered a better scope and sequence that truly does lead to an excellent education, and I confidently backed off from comparing to public school (or traditional) standards. But these materials did serve their purpose at the time...I really did want to know how my dc were doing compared to their peers, and whether I was really remembering all the little schooly things that don't always appear in classical hs'ing curricula.

Now, I do think your generation has it a little harder, when going through this comparing process. Your current public school academic state standards will likely be Common Core, which is an awful lot of words without a lot of examples and practicalities (by design, so schools have some latitude). In contrast, the state academic standards in the late 90s were extremely straightforward and brief, and thus a very good tool for hs'ers. I wouldn't bother with state standards now. They're a moving target, frequently developmentally inappropriate, and the education-ese can be hard to decipher.

On the other hand, some might think you have it easier, because there is so much more information about homeschooling available online, and at the library! But then you run the risk of becoming overwhelmed. LOL Try to read for a big picture, instead of seeing every little thing as prescriptive. There are so many ways to conduct a very successful homeschool. Each family will be unique.

When you look at the above resources, and read and re-read WTM over the course of a couple of years, you'll start to become a bit of an expert, yourself, on the possibilities for each grade or stage of learning. This leads to confidence in your curriculum choices, and to increasing refinement of your own educational philosophies for your own children.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 2

I would also share about how you structure your year, just so they know that they aren't locked into the public school schedule.  They might choose to work that way, but they also might choose to work during July and August and have off in May and June.  Or whatever!  Let them know that flexibility is fabulous -- but also that they need some sort of plan.  You can't take off EVERY day. ;)

• Like 2

I would have some easy-to-understand info about what homeschooling actually looks like in your state. My state (PA) supposedly has a lot of rules, and it does, but they're a lot easier to follow in reality than they are on paper. It can be overwhelming to read the law at first, so when I meet new hs'ers here, I give them a lot of reassurance about how we actually meet the requirements of the law. I also invite them to our group's annual portfolio share so that they can see what other people do and use.

I recommend the Clarksons' book, Educating the Wholehearted Child, to a lot of people, but I also wonder if it's outdated by now. But something like it, with an overview of different styles, can be really helpful. I tell people to read whatever they can, and after a bit, some aspects will jump out at them, and then they can read more about those styles.

I'm happy to show people what materials I use, how I structure my day, how I find good deals, how I plan, etc., but I think that can be a little overwhelming right at first.

Maybe start by asking them what their concerns are? Like, what are they reacting against by pulling their kids out of school? Those families often have different needs than those who planned to homeschool from birth. Also, do they have subjects that they aren't comfortable teaching? I think just getting them to open up a bit can help figure out what they need. Also, are they planning to put their kids back in public school at some point? They might want a more formal sort of program in that case, so that they're aligned with the public school scope and sequence.

I might also give them info about local support groups. Maybe co-ops but not necessarily. However, give them places they can go to make friends, swap ideas, have field trips, etc. so they don't feel isolated and alone (and so they can assure naysaying relatives that the kids are being properly socialized, haha).

Then I would follow up with them in a few days and then check in with them again in a few months or halfway through the year, to see how things are going, if they have more questions, if they're finding materials that work for them, etc. Sometimes you think of more questions, but you don't want to bug anyone, so you don't ask; I try to check in with new hs moms in our group a couple of times a year, especially those who are coming from public school, to see if/how I can help and support them once they're "in the trenches."

That's a good reminder to follow up with them and periodically ask them how they're doing. Thanks!

This is mostly general, big picture stuff.

1. Don't mistake quantity for rigor. Rigor is quality content thoroughly covered.

2. Develop a severe allergy to busywork.  If your kid truly gets it, it's time to move on...no matter how much you paid for that curriculum. Getting your money's worth doesn't mean getting every assignment or problem done, it means there were enough assignments or problems that helped your child master the skill or content.

3. Integrate subjects as much as possible.  As an example, don't have a separate history paper and English paper at the same time.  Do a history paper that incorporates the English writing skills needed and count that one assignment for both English and history.

4. Choose quality over quantity.  If what you do is high quality, you don't have to do as much.

5. Be able to prioritize. Every teaching situation in every setting ever ran out of time and the teacher had to choose one thing over other things so you may as well reconcile yourself to that idea right now.

6. Either plan or keep track of what you're doing on a weekly basis.  It's amazing how many people think they're not doing enough when they don't really keep track, then when they do they usually find they're getting more than enough done. There are a few rare homeschoolers not really getting much of anything done and keeping track can help avoid that too.

7. Outsourcing in house (video instruction and such) or out of the house (co-op or class) is your friend.  Call on that friend when it makes your life better.  

8.  Try to keep a convenient way jot down your thoughts in the heat of the moment on how a curriculum or routine isn't working as well as you'd like. Poor explanation?  Confusing examples?  Assignments that are too light?  Too heavy?  Too confusing? Too  much to do?  Too little? Does it leave out something you think it should've covered?  What?  Later you can read through your notes to better assess if a change should be considered and if so, what specific kinds of changes are needed.  That will give something to look for in a new curricula or routine. Or it may just be that you need a little supplementing or tweaking here and there rather than an entire overhaul.

9. Stay realistic.  Nothing can be 100%. The best curriculum, routine or schedule will work 80-85% of the time at most. Before you go scrapping and entire curriculum, routine or schedule you should ask yourself if what you really need is a little tweaking here and there in the trouble spots.

10. Get a household routine worked out in the summer before you add academics in the fall if possible.  A stunning number of American adults weren't modeled and included in a household routine and some time to get the hang of it before adding in academics can make it a smoother transition for everyone.

11.  Attitude is everything. If you keep telling yourself you can't or it's too hard, you might just be right.  If you keep telling yourself that you're a reasonably smart, motivated, capable person who can handle the homeschooling thing, you might just be right.  When you face the inevitable challenges like every homeschooler has, I suggest focusing on what you need to do and not on how you feel. Clarify your  priorities and start at the top with the most important thing and work your way down. 2 high priorities done are better than 5 lower priorities partially done.

12.  After homeschooling is getting done read up on a few homeschooling through a crisis threads. Most of us who have homeschooled a long time have homeschooled through a crisis if some sort at least once. You can see how people simply re-prioritized and adapted to the situation at hand and their kids came though it just fine in the end. That can mean a Charlotte Mason homeschooler switching to workbooks and textbooks for a while or a traditional workbooks and textbooks type switching to some very high quality literature and other living books for time.  It may mean dropping enrichment type activities and just focusing on core subjects or dropping core subjects for a few weeks to infuse some joy into a difficult time of life.

• Like 3

One of the best pieces of advise I got when starting was to give myself permission to waste some money on curriculum. While we all try to do our best in picking out the perfect curriculum for our family it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes it is best to consider certain purchases a waste of money, set it aside and start on something else. It is often not worthwhile to plod through it just because I spent money on it.

• Like 1

1. Curriculum is a tool. You are the teacher. Curriculum can be modified to teach in whatever way helps you reach your goals.

2. Before you get overwhelmed looking at all the shiny curriculum, take the prep work to determine your goals, style and methods you want to teach. This helps you eliminate curricula that does not fit your criteria right away and narrow the process.

3. Remember you are teaching your child and think about what is best for them and the way they learn. Don't get bogged down by all the numerous ways learning occurs and think you have to do all of them.

4. Don't compare your child or your homeschool to "standards" or other children or homeschool families. You chose to homeschool so you could tailor things to your child and not try to keep up with the rat race.

Bottom line: Keep it simple, but intentional.

• Like 3

I like to direct people to this "big picture" planning resource:

(the method is not at all waldorf specific).  I would have them watch this video and jot down some "big picture" goals before coming.  

I would talk to them about rhythm for the day vs rigid schedules.  The more of the day you can put on auto-pilot, the better!  

I would talk about the realities of running a house while homeschooling.  Build home-keeping into the rhythm, or it will pile up and drown you!

I would stress the importance of books.  If nothing else gets accomplished the first year besides turning children into book-lovers, then I would still consider that year a roaring success!  

After that, so much is personal preference and developing their own family homeschool cultures.  School-at-home works for many, and many moms are comfortable teaching what they and their children recognize easily as "school".  For others, a mix of school-at-home and education-in-all-its-other-forms works well.  Still others move entirely away from any standard sequence of learning.  All of these methods can be successful within a family's culture.  I would suggest they start where they are comfortable, and expand as they find their footing.  

And not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but many people like to "de-school" for a period of time after coming out of a standard public school situation.  This is a period of time (varies by case) where nothing much academic is expected of the kids.  Instead, kids who have had the spark "schooled out of them" are given the time and space to reconnect with their world, with books, with nature... and re-interest themselves in those things.  THEN they are ready to begin learning again, once their own thirst for knowledge and natural creativity have been re-awakened.  

• Like 2

This is mostly general, big picture stuff.

1. Don't mistake quantity for rigor. Rigor is quality content thoroughly covered.

2. Develop a severe allergy to busywork.  If your kid truly gets it, it's time to move on...no matter how much you paid for that curriculum. Getting your money's worth doesn't mean getting every assignment or problem done, it means there were enough assignments or problems that helped your child master the skill or content.

3. Integrate subjects as much as possible.  As an example, don't have a separate history paper and English paper at the same time.  Do a history paper that incorporates the English writing skills needed and count that one assignment for both English and history.

4. Choose quality over quantity.  If what you do is high quality, you don't have to do as much.

5. Be able to prioritize. Every teaching situation in every setting ever ran out of time and the teacher had to choose one thing over other things so you may as well reconcile yourself to that idea right now.

6. Either plan or keep track of what you're doing on a weekly basis.  It's amazing how many people think they're not doing enough when they don't really keep track, then when they do they usually find they're getting more than enough done. There are a few rare homeschoolers not really getting much of anything done and keeping track can help avoid that too.

7. Outsourcing in house (video instruction and such) or out of the house (co-op or class) is your friend.  Call on that friend when it makes your life better.  

8.  Try to keep a convenient way jot down your thoughts in the heat of the moment on how a curriculum or routine isn't working as well as you'd like. Poor explanation?  Confusing examples?  Assignments that are too light?  Too heavy?  Too confusing? Too  much to do?  Too little? Does it leave out something you think it should've covered?  What?  Later you can read through your notes to better assess if a change should be considered and if so, what specific kinds of changes are needed.  That will give something to look for in a new curricula or routine. Or it may just be that you need a little supplementing or tweaking here and there rather than an entire overhaul.

9. Stay realistic.  Nothing can be 100%. The best curriculum, routine or schedule will work 80-85% of the time at most. Before you go scrapping and entire curriculum, routine or schedule you should ask yourself if what you really need is a little tweaking here and there in the trouble spots.

10. Get a household routine worked out in the summer before you add academics in the fall if possible.  A stunning number of American adults weren't modeled and included in a household routine and some time to get the hang of it before adding in academics can make it a smoother transition for everyone.

11.  Attitude is everything. If you keep telling yourself you can't or it's too hard, you might just be right.  If you keep telling yourself that you're a reasonably smart, motivated, capable person who can handle the homeschooling thing, you might just be right.  When you face the inevitable challenges like every homeschooler has, I suggest focusing on what you need to do and not on how you feel. Clarify your  priorities and start at the top with the most important thing and work your way down. 2 high priorities done are better than 5 lower priorities partially done.

12.  After homeschooling is getting done read up on a few homeschooling through a crisis threads. Most of us who have homeschooled a long time have homeschooled through a crisis if some sort at least once. You can see how people simply re-prioritized and adapted to the situation at hand and their kids came though it just fine in the end. That can mean a Charlotte Mason homeschooler switching to workbooks and textbooks for a while or a traditional workbooks and textbooks type switching to some very high quality literature and other living books for time.  It may mean dropping enrichment type activities and just focusing on core subjects or dropping core subjects for a few weeks to infuse some joy into a difficult time of life.

These are so great! Especially 5, 6, 9, and 11 :)

1. Curriculum is a tool. You are the teacher. Curriculum can be modified to teach in whatever way helps you reach your goals.

2. Before you get overwhelmed looking at all the shiny curriculum, take the prep work to determine your goals, style and methods you want to teach. This helps you eliminate curricula that does not fit your criteria right away and narrow the process.

3. Remember you are teaching your child and think about what is best for them and the way they learn. Don't get bogged down by all the numerous ways learning occurs and think you have to do all of them.

4. Don't compare your child or your homeschool to "standards" or other children or homeschool families. You chose to homeschool so you could tailor things to your child and not try to keep up with the rat race.

Bottom line: Keep it simple, but intentional.

I actually did tell them in those exact words: "Curriculum is a tool."  :)

I have had several close-ish friends contact me in recent months asking questions about pulling their kids out of ps to hs. I love their enthusiasm and sharing ideas with them about what has and has not worked for us, but fielding several phone calls and separate conversations from each of them has left me feeling a bit drained. So I invited them over to my home all at the same time this week to have a big hs'ing pow-wow - to talk, discuss, ask questions, look at curriculum, etc. while the kids swim - and hopefully only have to say all the same things once! lol

Judging from the number of phone calls I've received so far, they'll each probably come quipped with their own lists of questions and I won't have to guide the discussion at all. ;) But it made me curious what you all would ask if you were a new homeschooler and you had the opportunity to pick someone's brain.

I'd want to be told it's okay to do it MY way - no matter how much I love other homeschoolers, I love giving a new homeschooler the freedom to put their own stamp on it all.

Sometimes they get so much pressure of, "Oh, USE THIS!" 

I'd also want to clue them in that homeschooling has fads.  Just because "everyone" is using it, doesn't actually mean it's better.  It just means it is the hot curriculum for the year, and it will pass.

If it works for you, even if it works for no one else?  Use it.

Don't make a bajillion plans.  HIt the foundations and add in as you are able.

Make sure  you hit the foundations.

Make a schedule/routine.  For example, we try to plan errands on Fridays if possible so that we can consistently hit school in the mornings, OUR most productive time.  Set yourself up for success.

Put up the gadgets (phone, tablet) during table time so you aren't tempted into distraction.

• Like 2

I thought of another one while at the grocery store...

Warn them of how their kids will eat them out of house and home when homeschooled (My kids ate plenty when they were in public school for sure... but the snacks and meals are definitely more since they've been home... I might send AN apple in a lunch box before, and a granola bar for snack or something... Now it's like a pound of apples and a box of granola bars LOL.... some of which I know is age but seriously I became a different level of aware of burning through our groceries!)

• Like 2

I thought of another one while at the grocery store...

Warn them of how their kids will eat them out of house and home when homeschooled (My kids ate plenty when they were in public school for sure... but the snacks and meals are definitely more since they've been home... I might send AN apple in a lunch box before, and a granola bar for snack or something... Now it's like a pound of apples and a box of granola bars LOL.... some of which I know is age but seriously I became a different level of aware of burning through our groceries!)

That's the truth.  (DH & I figure we can afford a summer home when the kids leave home... You know, since the grocery bill generally tops the mortgage.)  :P :)

• Like 1

When it comes to cultural issues, I think newbies should be aware of some things so they can avoid some potential conflicts and frustrations.

1. There are many different subcultures in the homeschooling community.  They all have different norms for academics and social behavior.  Not every group of homeschoolers is a good fit for every homeschooler out there.  Don't take it personally and don't assume any of the groups you encounter is all there is out there.

2. Groups, co-ops and classes are all different.  Not every one of them is a good fit for every homeschooler, so don't take it personally.  They each have a different primary focus: academics, enrichment, socialization, support, etc. The primary focus won't always be explicitly stated. You'll have to ask questions sometimes to get a better sense of it.  When people running and in the group have different ideas about what the primary focus should be, it can be a real problem. Have a clear idea of what you're looking for in a group before you go shopping for a group.  No one is obligated to create or transform their group to suit your personal preferences and if you start a group you're not obligated to create or transform it to fit someone else's personal preferences. Carefully read up on or ask about their content, curriculum, prerequisites, deadlines, fees, codes of conduct, schedule, expectations, grading procedures, and the like before joining.  If you can't be there with it as is and be content, then don't join it.

3. Most people need a complete paradigm shift upon entering the homeschooling community.  It's time to be proactive, not passive and or reactive.  There are plenty of homeschooling groups where it's not the norm to have a designated greeter looking for newbies.  Don't expect someone to hand you a new homeschooler packet (although I have one that I frequently give out here at this website and in person, just message me.)  Don't hang around the edge of the group waiting to be individually invited in. Sometimes others will take the initiative but you should never assume they will because (see #1.) 

Expect to find out for yourself, read the website, read the handouts, ask questions, ask the follow up questions, put it in your schedule, set your own schedule reminders, behave appropriately, be punctual , meet deadlines, pay promptly, keep the contact info handy in case you have to cancel at the last minute due to a real emergency, google it yourself, get your own map, plan ahead, plan for extra time in case life happens on the way to the event/group, sign up to bring snacks and or drinks on the rotation list, bring a bottle of water, wear a hat, wear sunscreen, have plenty of gas in the vehicle, brush, floss....It's all up to you now.

4.  Develop very thick skin.  Everyone in the world is entitled their opinions (well informed or otherwise) on any number of topics out there, including homeschooling in general.  Be OK with that.  You're probably already OK with the fact that not everyone approves of your lifestyle choices, your parenting choices, your religious or philosophical views, your political leanings, your eating habits, your clothing style, your tastes in movies and books, etc.  Just add homeschooling to that list.  You don't need to convince anyone of anything.  Not your relatives, friends, co-workers, cashiers, neighbors and the rest. You don't need anyone else's approval because you're a grown up.

Don't personalize general discussions.  If the topic of education comes up and people are talking about their views of the ps system, homeschooling ,private schools and such, it's a poor mental/emotional  habit to take the discussion personally when it wasn't stated personally. Do you expect them to take your issues with education that isn't homeschooling personally? You shouldn't.  If you opt not to take the route they take for their kids, are you attacking them as parents?  No.  So don't respond as if they're attacking you personally. 

• Like 3

Not everything you think is great as a parent is something your kid will think is great.

When I was first looking into homeschooling I fell in love with CM and history-heavy WTM methods. I love to read. I love history. The whole idea of doing that everyday was so beautiful. But that was not the right approach for my son AT ALL. Last summer he grabbed UEWH (which I had bought purely for reference purposes) off the shelf, read it from cover to cover, and declared it "really interesting." I was like..."but, but, but, you're not supposed to find it INTERESTING!" My plans! My ideas! My hopes and dreams! POOF.  :lol:

Yes, he actually likes encyclopedia history, and does not like narrative history. *cry*

• Like 1

If I were to advise a new homeschooler today, I would say forget everything else *for now* and get math down. Understand math so you can teach your kids math. Buy c- rods and watch EducationUnboxed videos. Read Liping Ma, Read Kitchen Table Math. Live and breathe math.

Oh how I wish I wasn't "so overwhelmed" with everything that I glazed over the C-rod discussions on here because I just couldn't learn *one more new thing* while trying to pick all the curriculum for all the subjects (95% never used!!!)

I understood math. Was an honor roll student all through school. It was easy. I just got it - it made sense. All of this to say that I didn't have a clue how to TEACH math and make it make sense to my kids. One mathy, one non-mathy. Even with MM, Beast, and Lial's (all highly regarded curriculums) I (now!) pull out the C-rods. My 8th grader was recently using them for Pythagorean Theorem. My 4th grader - long division.

I've seen math-averse/afraid parents. It's...not good.

Know the rules and regs for your area and learn math. Get a groove going with math and reading (oh, Phonics!! that's huge too if they have non or struggling readers) Then worry about the rest at a later date.

Even if I got this advice, I'd probably have worried about all the other stuff and bought all the (wasted) curriculum, but maybe not. I still wish I'd received it.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

I so love reading all of your combined wisdom! Such great nuggets in each post. I'm thinking of printing it all out and giving it to my friends.

I am also absurdly proud of having started a thread that is officially labeled "HOT" :hurray: