Menu

Chick-fil-A Orlando: thank you

Joanne

I've read of them doing these types of things during times of tragedy more than once. It's really impressive, and nice to see a company that shows compassion and isn't just thinking about the dollar.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 16

I have read about a few organizations today that made me smile in the midst of such sadness.

*JetBlue will fly any family members to Orlando for free.

*A church in Apopka will allow their facility to be used free of charge for any funerals and will webcast the service for out of town guests.

• Like 30

Around here, they open up to prepare food for local parades or other community gatherings. The employees walk down the street or ride bikes distributing food. At least here, the company has a civically minded heart.

• Like 6

I know this is supposed to be a happy thread, but I can't help but think that many people are still boycotting Chick-Fil-A for reasons surrounding money going toward anti-gay groups. Am I the only one here that sees the irony here? People standing in line to donate blood to people that are likely part of the LGBT community are being given food from a place they may despise? I personally seldom go to CFA anymore because of all the controversy but love their food. I wouldn't decline a box of waffle fries while waiting to donate blood, but I see the whole thing as a bit ironic.

• Like 6

I have read about a few organizations today that made me smile in the midst of such sadness.

*JetBlue will fly any family members to Orlando for free.

*A church in Apopka will allow their facility to be used free of charge for any funerals and will webcast the service for out of town guests.

And the church in Apopka is, from what I've heard, a Seventh Day Adventist church. Not normally a bastion of liberalism.

• Like 4

I know this is supposed to be a happy thread, but I can't help but think that many people are still boycotting Chick-Fil-A for reasons surrounding money going toward anti-gay groups. Am I the only one here that sees the irony here? People standing in line to donate blood to people that are likely part of the LGBT community are being given food from a place they may despise? I personally seldom go to CFA anymore because of all the controversy but love their food. I wouldn't decline a box of waffle fries while waiting to donate blood, but I see the whole thing as a bit ironic.

I don't like their food because I think their chicken tastes nasty, and I'm not a fan of the company as a whole for the reasons you've stated above, but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due. So, Kudos to Orlando Chik-fil-A.

• Like 5

The local franchise has also shared their outrage at this attack on their Facebook page, and the local franchises also banded together to give free breakfast to the first responders. 

I will also say we are a house divided on this. For a while we both boycotted them for past actions, but after reading more about the president of the company, and actions they have taken to at least listen and learn, I've started going there again. This news makes me happy about that. And honestly, their employees are the most polite, friendly, helpful restaurant employees I've ever seen outside of a 4 star restaurant. Like, night and day. That makes me think they must either be paid well, treated well, or I guess brainwashed. Something. 

• Like 5

So, their money goes to LGBT hate groups and politicians who fuel the fire of hatred which created the cultural atmosphere that condones an attack on that group, and then they step up as the heroes? Hmm. I don't think I'm buying it.

Let's see them put their money where their mouth is, and then I'll reconsider my opinion.

• Like 6

I am not a fan of the chain, but when a friend posted about this, I did some googling. I am willing to say "thank you, that was classy" when warranted. If I recall, Christian scripture, in fact Jesus himself, was quoted as saying the Sabbath was made for man, not the man for Sabbath.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/158700906-story

Yes, that was wonderful and should have gone viral. 

That's a little overstated and unfair, imo. A company president has a right to an opinion, just like everyone else, and is also allowed to modify or change that opinion, and the actions that stem from it. I think what they're doing right now is admirable and neighborly.

So it's overstated and unfair to voice one's opinion unless it's the president of a company because they have the right to an opinion?

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have a right to their opinion.  They are just expressing their opinion that they don't like what sorts of things the president of Chick Fil A says and supports.

That said, they do have good chicken sandwiches.  We have none of these places around which is good because my @$$ would be much bigger otherwise.

• Like 1

That's a little overstated and unfair, imo. A company president has a right to an opinion, just like everyone else, and is also allowed to modify or change that opinion, and the actions that stem from it. I think what they're doing right now is admirable and neighborly.

I also think no feeling American condones this attack, and the attacker alone should have the blame for it.

Of course, these are my own thoughts and opinions, and I don't expect anyone else to agree/disagree.

Good for EVERYONE who is stepping up to love and support Miami right now.

Miami?

Donating upwards of $2 million in company profits to groups that support gay conversion therapy and other damaging practices goes beyond an individual having an opinion. They have changed their corporate donation practices after the news broke several years ago, so that is positive. :)

• Like 5

So, their money goes to LGBT hate groups and politicians who fuel the fire of hatred which created the cultural atmosphere that condones an attack on that group, and then they step up as the heroes? Hmm. I don't think I'm buying it.

Let's see them put their money where their mouth is, and then I'll reconsider my opinion.

Well, they ARE putting money into it, by supplying the food. That food cost money. 

And they didn't advertise this, or try to pain themselves as heroes. Others, outsiders, noted it and mentioned it. Chik Fil A did not. 

Finally, the president of Chik Fil A reached out to the head of Campus Pride, who were picketing them, and started up a friendship, admitting he'd never had a gay friend. They became friends, and he sought that person's advice on their donations, letting him go over their financial reports, etc. Who they donated to did change at that time, not sure where it is now. 

But if we are going to point out where people do wrong, we should also point out where they have done right. Again, they are not advertising this. 

• Like 22

Holy cow..one mile.  That would be dangerous.

I did find a knock off recipe to make my own.  Apparently the secret is marinating the chicken in pickle juice beforehand.  It came out really good!!

Yes, it's the "crucial pickle!" I have great memories of Chick-fil-a. My grandmother lived near the original Dwarf house, and it was the only restaurant she would go to other than Piccadilly. :)

• Like 1

Miami?

Donating upwards of $2 million in company profits to groups that support gay conversion therapy and other damaging practices goes beyond an individual having an opinion. They have changed their corporate donation practices after the news broke several years ago, so that is positive. :)

Yeah that is not cool.

I suppose if one believed stuff like conversion therapy worked (or hoped it did) they wouldn't necessarily have terrible intentions.  But as it stands now we know it does not work and is damaging so continuing to fund such an idea will only come off as hateful.

• Like 1

In general, I don't eat at CFA due to corporate owners view, but I also acknowledge that individual franchise owners may not share the same views, or be more accepting.  Owners of businesses all in the area (and yes, there is a CFA within just a few blocks of Pulse) have stepped up to do what they can, providing food and water, anything possible to first responders.  Pretty much everyone in Orlando is trying to figure out what we can do to help.  You would have to be heartless not to.  But CFA is what has made the news.  I am a little jaded about that.  

Yes, the church in Apopka (north of Orlando) offering their facilities for free, is 7th Day Adventist, which from my reading is not generally considered welcoming.  But at this time love and compassion wins.  

• Like 6

I'm not aware that any politician or group they support condones anything of the sort. Disagreeing with something/someone is a far cry from condoning murder.

I'm a practicing Catholic. I'm sure you can guess how I feel about gay marriage. 

And I'm also nauseated about the Orlando massacre. I'm outraged that anyone could think they had the right to kill people based on an ideology. I'm heartbroken for those who lost their lives and for those left behind. 

I don't know of a single person in my real life who ISN'T heartbroken and outraged, no matter how they feel about gay marriage or homosexuality because, at the end of the day, what matters is that these are our people; however much we may have disagreed with one aspect of their lives, these people who died, were injured, or are mourning are ours

And what "cultural atmosphere that condones an attack" are you talking about? Outside of the wack-job Westboro Baptist, I can't think of any group that lives over-ground that condones this type of thing. 

In my opinion, that this happens actually points to the opposite of an atmosphere condoning violence towards this group. The shooter appeared to be rather outraged that homosexuality can happen in our culture without "punishment."

• Like 6

I'm not aware that any politician or group they support condones anything of the sort. Disagreeing with something/someone is a far cry from condoning murder.

I'm a practicing Catholic. I'm sure you can guess how I feel about gay marriage. 

And I'm also nauseated about the Orlando massacre. I'm outraged that anyone could think they had the right to kill people based on an ideology. I'm heartbroken for those who lost their lives and for those left behind. 

I don't know of a single person in my real life who ISN'T heartbroken and outraged, no matter how they feel about gay marriage or homosexuality because, at the end of the day, what matters is that these are our people; however much we may have disagreed with one aspect of their lives, these people who died, were injured, or are mourning are ours

And what "cultural atmosphere that condones an attack" are you talking about? Outside of the wack-job Westboro Baptist, I can't think of any group that lives over-ground that condones this type of thing. 

In my opinion, that this happens actually points to the opposite of an atmosphere condoning violence towards this group. The shooter appeared to be rather outraged that homosexuality can happen in our culture without "punishment."

I think the key words were "fuels the fire".  I am sure most of them do not in fact condone violence, but what exactly are their goals?

• Like 1

Holy cow..one mile. That would be dangerous.

I did find a knock off recipe to make my own. Apparently the secret is marinating the chicken in pickle juice beforehand. It came out really good!!

I am going to pretend that I did not see that recipe advice.

• Like 2

Miami?

This is what I was referring to in my original post, but I wasn't able to find any links articulating what I'd remembered hearing. This is what greatly bothers me. I don't care about differing opinions on gay marriage, but the idea of camps (I was trying to remember if they were called camps) or conversion therapy troubles me.

But if we are going to point out where people do wrong, we should also point out where they have done right. Again, they are not advertising this. 

My take is that it's terrific that they opened on a Sunday and fed people who were in need of food or hurting, or there to help others.  But someone I know posted on Facebook about how awful the liberal media is for not telling us in news reports that Chic Fil A fed people!!  Hello....this is not about Chic Fil A!!  Loads of people have gone over and above to help the people of Orlando and we will never know who they are or how much they sacrificed or will be scarred from what they saw that night.  I'm not about to jump up and down and thank one restaurant for treating people well after a tragedy--they can, after all, write off those donations. They did the right thing.  That's awesome.  But they don't deserve any special media coverage or thank you for it.  It's just the right thing to do.  

• Like 6

Holy cow..one mile. That would be dangerous.

I did find a knock off recipe to make my own. Apparently the secret is marinating the chicken in pickle juice beforehand. It came out really good!!

No kidding! Pickle juice, eh? Hmmm...

Off topic, but technically, the only chicken marinated with any pickle juice is the grilled breast and the strips.

The traditional chicken is dipped in a milk bath, then breading.

(Thank you, first job in high school. Lol)

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In general, I don't eat at CFA due to corporate owners view, but I also acknowledge that individual franchise owners may not share the same views, or be more accepting. Owners of businesses all in the area (and yes, there is a CFA within just a few blocks of Pulse) have stepped up to do what they can, providing food and water, anything possible to first responders. Pretty much everyone in Orlando is trying to figure out what we can do to help. You would have to be heartless not to. But CFA is what has made the news. I am a little jaded about that.

Yes, the church in Apopka (north of Orlando) offering their facilities for free, is 7th Day Adventist, which from my reading is not generally considered welcoming. But at this time love and compassion wins.

I know that I worked with several bi and gay teens when I worked there. The manager and I went to the same VERY strict, legalistic church. Several of those people were moved into management positions. So, I agree - not all individual franchise owners operate the same.

My take is that it's terrific that they opened on a Sunday and fed people who were in need of food or hurting, or there to help others. But someone I know posted on Facebook about how awful the liberal media is for not telling us in news reports that Chic Fil A fed people!! Hello....this is not about Chic Fil A!! Loads of people have gone over and above to help the people of Orlando and we will never know who they are or how much they sacrificed or will be scarred from what they saw that night. I'm not about to jump up and down and thank one restaurant for treating people well after a tragedy--they can, after all, write off those donations. They did the right thing. That's awesome. But they don't deserve any special media coverage or thank you for it. It's just the right thing to do.

Regardless of it being Chick-fil-A or some other restaurant, I think people like for it to be reported because it brings humanity and hope back into an otherwise horrific event. At least, it does for me.

• Like 2

I don't know of a single person in my real life who ISN'T heartbroken and outraged, no matter how they feel about gay marriage or homosexuality because, at the end of the day, what matters is that these are our people; however much we may have disagreed with one aspect of their lives, these people who died, were injured, or are mourning are ours.

They donated heavily to Focus on the Family, recognized by the SPLC as a hate group. FOF, Eagle Forum, and Exodus International are groups who actively work to pass legislation harmful to gay people or promote dangerous gay conversion therapy. In Uganda, there was legislation involving the death penalty for homosexuality aided by FOF (as one example). This is more than not believing gay marriage is appropriate for you and your religion. The major players in all of these groups have ties to each other and major political figures. The other thread discussed how Senator Cruz, Gov Jindal, Gov Huckabee, Ben Carson, etc attended a conference with Kevin Swanson, who literally preaches about killing gays. Here's a quote from his conference: "Yes, Leviticus 20:13 calls for the death penalty for homosexuals. Yes, Romans chapter 1 verse 32 the Apostle Paul does say that homosexuals are worthy of death. His words not mine! And I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! And I am not ashamed of the truth of the word of God. And I am willing to go to jail for standing on the truth of the word of God.†When there are US government officials publicly supporting the guy known as the "Kill the Gays Preacher," it produces a "culture of atmosphere that condones attack." This isn't fringe, Westboro whackos only stuff, and it is frightening. Check out Dominionism and Seven Mountains. I'm guessing Catholicism is considered a cult to them.

• Like 4

I know that I worked with several bi and gay teens when I worked there. The manager and I went to the same VERY strict, legalistic church. Several of those people were moved into management positions. So, I agree - not all individual franchise owners operate the same.

The one that I used to work by was frequented by some of my gay co-workers. They did not boycott it. It was and still is one of the few places to eat in that shopping center. That is one of my biggest hang ups with the one near me now. It is one of the few places to eat in a certain shopping area.

I was never under the impression that the hiring process and/or work environment was anti gay. I was just under the impression that the issues were with how money was spent.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

I don't like their food because I think their chicken tastes nasty, and I'm not a fan of the company as a whole for the reasons you've stated above, but I'm willing to give credit where credit is due. So, Kudos to Orlando Chik-fil-A.

Wow! What a back-handed compliment!

So it's overstated and unfair to voice one's opinion unless it's the president of a company because they have the right to an opinion?

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have a right to their opinion. They are just expressing their opinion that they don't like what sorts of things the president of Chick Fil A says and supports.

That said, they do have good chicken sandwiches. We have none of these places around which is good because my @$$ would be much bigger otherwise.

CFA is within walking distance, but my ass is in no danger. :) I do not understand the love. Their breading tastes like sugar. Might as well just eat cake and make it worthwhile!!

I don't know.

Do you have Popeye's where you are? They once had chicken and waffle flavored coating on their chicken fingers. WOW that was so good. It even had a hint of maple flavoring in it.

I went to a baby shower where they served chicken and waffles a couple of weeks ago. (It was a brunch.) They were a lot yummier than I expected. It might have been Chick Fil a chicken strips. Waffles were being made right in front of us.

Funny thing--I don't eat Chick Fil A, except on our way home from the beach. We stop in Orlando for breakfast and have Chick Fil A if it isn't Sunday. Last time, they were giving away chicken biscuits. It was the cheapest breakfast stop ever.

• Like 1

They donated heavily to Focus on the Family, recognized by the SPLC as a hate group. FOF, Eagle Forum, and Exodus International are groups who actively work to pass legislation harmful to gay people or promote dangerous gay conversion therapy. In Uganda, there was legislation involving the death penalty for homosexuality aided by FOF (as one example). This is more than not believing gay marriage is appropriate for you and your religion. The major players in all of these groups have ties to each other and major political figures. The other thread discussed how Senator Cruz, Gov Jindal, Gov Huckabee, Ben Carson, etc attended a conference with Kevin Swanson, who literally preaches about killing gays. Here's a quote from his conference: "Yes, Leviticus 20:13 calls for the death penalty for homosexuals. Yes, Romans chapter 1 verse 32 the Apostle Paul does say that homosexuals are worthy of death. His words not mine! And I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! And I am not ashamed of the truth of the word of God. And I am willing to go to jail for standing on the truth of the word of God.†When there are US government officials publicly supporting the guy known as the "Kill the Gays Preacher," it produces a "culture of atmosphere that condones attack." This isn't fringe, Westboro whackos only stuff, and it is frightening. Check out Dominionism and Seven Mountains. I'm guessing Catholicism is considered a cult to them.

But didn't Chick Fil A stop donating to those groups?

I went to a baby shower where they served chicken and waffles a couple of weeks ago. (It was a brunch.) They were a lot yummier than I expected. It might have been Chick Fil a chicken strips. Waffles were being made right in front of us.

Funny thing--I don't eat Chick Fil A, except on our way home from the beach. We stop in Orlando for breakfast and have Chick Fil A if it isn't Sunday. Last time, they were giving away chicken biscuits. It was the cheapest breakfast stop ever.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth and the concept of chicken and waffles sounded so strange to me, but it's surprisingly good.

I don't know.

Do you have Popeye's where you are? They once had chicken and waffle flavored coating on their chicken fingers. WOW that was so good. It even had a hint of maple flavoring in it.

We do but I missed out on that apparently. :(

But didn't Chick Fil A stop donating to those groups?

After the big media brouhaha a few years ago (2012?), yes, they have changed their corporate giving practices. We aren't talking about something from 50 or 60 years ago. The groups still exist. The atmosphere is still pervasive, possibly moreso after Obergefell last year. The Swanson speech quote is from November 2015. I was answering your question about what atmosphere and pointing out the dangerous beliefs are not limited to fringe groups like Westboro. 

Edited by zoobie

One thing I stumbled upon said they adjusted some of their spending short-term. I do not know the specifics of where the money goes now but I'm under the impression not much changed long-term. It was hard for me to find what I was looking for earlier and I don't remember what the dates on the articles were.