Menu

Help! Re: tipping hair stylist.

Alicia64

I think it might be an age thing.

I was taught long ago that if a hair stylist owns the salon that she doesn't get tipped. Tips were for the stylists working for her.

Fast forward to today: my current stylist owns the building and the various stylist-tenants pay her rent for their spots. So they don't work for her, they just let out a tiny salon in her building. She has stylists, manicurists etc. all who rent their own tiny salon space.

I haven't been tipping this stylist because again I was taught that if she's the owner, she doesn't get tipped.

But -- ugh -- it feels awkward. Plus I really like her and take my kids to her so. . .I'm thinking I'll start tipping just out of wanting to keep a good relationship.

Am I the only one that remembers this old rule?

Thanks for your feedback!

Alley

I go to a lady who works out of her house. She has an addition to the house with all the salon equipment in there, so it's like a full salon. But she's the only one who works there. I never know if I should tip or how much. I hate it! It causes me stress every time I go. Does she keep her prices down to be competitive, and relies on tips? Or does she not need tips because it's in her own home??

OP, I have no clue what you should do. I've started trimming my own hair for now, and I'm going to try to trim the boys' hair, too, if they let me, partly because I just don't know what to do about the tip.

Edited by Garga

I remember the rule.

I've been with my stylist since she owned her own place. I think she rents her station - and we're on the 2nd owner. ( who is much better than the 1st).

I tip here.

She did my dd's wedding updo as a wedding present.

I've asked her directly what to do and she says, "Whatever you want is fine..." Ugh. I need clear answers for this one. I don't know how to read between the lines.

She's uncomfortable saying "tip", but probably appreciates the money.

She probably would be ok with not.

Mine would.

I was just so happy having someone I trusted with my hair.

• Like 1

I go to a lady who works out of her house. She has an addition to the house with all the salon equipment in there, so it's like a full salon. But she's the only one who works there. I never know if I should tip or how much. I hate it! It causes me stress every time I go. Does she keep her prices down to be competitive, and relies on tips? Or does she not need tips because it's in her own home??

OP, I have no clue what you should do. I've started trimming my own hair for now, and I'm going to try to trim the boys' hair, too, if they let me, partly because I just don't know what to do about the tip.

Tip.  

I remember the rule. I'd tip, in that scenario.

I tip mine, and did when she owned her salon, in the traditional sense (employed other stylists, etc). Because she is amazing. When she started doing travel styling, and coming to our house - I kept tipping.

I vaguely remember that rule. My stylist owns her salon, but I think she rents the chairs to the other gals, too. I tip her 15%ish. It's hard because sometimes I take one of my daughters in for a trim while my color is setting, so the price varies and I'm always trying to calculate it in my head when I'm writing out the check.

What's the reasoning behind the old rule? Is the owner supposedly getting more money than the other stylists? I can't see that their situation is very different, so I would probably tip. But then I wouldn't go as often because it costs so much! I end up going to a place with cheap hair cuts so I can tip extravagantly. $14 haircut, $6 tip--43% tip! And I'm out of there for $20.

• Like 1

My hair dresser works out of her home, and is the only one who works there.  I always just round up.  So, she charges me $16 for a wash and a cut and I pay her $20.  If she charged me $17, I'd probably still round up to $20.

• Like 1

I remember the rule, but it's awkward not to tip. 

I've faced the same uncertainly with my nail salon. The owners do my nails. I feel like an idiot not tipping, but then I worry that they might be insulted that I tip. So I'll just take the advice here and tip--right?

I used to get my hair done by the owner of a salon.  I didn't know the rule then, so I tipped her.

Years later after I stopped going to her, we were having a conversation about this topic.  She said, that you should always tip.  She said you are tipping the person and the service, not supplementing their pay.  It doesn't matter what position the person holds in a salon, each person who helps you (aside from the receptionist) should be tipped.  Individually with cash, or with a percentage when paying, are both fine, but if you have more than one person (hair wash station etc), remember to make sure each is being tipped.

• Like 2

What's the reasoning behind the old rule? Is the owner supposedly getting more money than the other stylists? I can't see that their situation is very different, so I would probably tip. But then I wouldn't go as often because it costs so much! I end up going to a place with cheap hair cuts so I can tip extravagantly. $14 haircut, $6 tip--43% tip! And I'm out of there for $20.

The reasoning is that the owner (in theory) also makes money off of the other stylists, either by a portion of their prices (50/50 or 60/40 split is common) or from booth or space rental in states that allow it. So tipping the owner pays them three times, for service, income from other stylists, and tip. Usually, in those cases the owner woul also charge a higher rate as a senior stylist.

But if all stylists cost the same, or each sets their own price as independents in a shared shop, then tip.

If the stylist says its up to you, they probablay mean they would accept it but not expect it.

You can also not tip year round but give a larger tip at the holidays. So if you go 6 times a year and would tip $10 each time, just give $25-$50 at Christmas where it would be seen as a gift rather than a tip.

P.s. I'm a licensed cosmetologist. Trust me... Every salon varies wildly!

• Like 2

Mine doesn't own the salon and will not accept tips from me. I have seen her take them from other customers. I do give her a nice Christmas gift which she will accept. I don't only give cash, but sometimes do. I've been seeing her for 25 years now!!! We've been through a lot together...

I come from a country where tipping is not done; in fact, it can be taken as an insult and would most certainly be refused with embarrassment.

I'll take AMERICAN CUSTOMS I LEARNED THE HARD WAY for $800, Alex!

So I don't know if it's to make up for lost years of not understanding American customs, or if it's due to the years I spent working as a waitress and bartender ... but now I tip everyone. Everyone except people standing at a register which does the counting for them, who have a plastic cup with a cutesy saying on it encouraging me to drop tips in - I don't tip them. But everyone else (in America)? I tip.

Writing that out got me thinking: I'm probably the jerk whose tipping encourages the aforementioned counter-sitters to put out that tip jar. May have to re-evaluate ....

• Like 2

I remember that rule, and I did not tip my stylist for years because of it.  About 3 years ago, I realized that every was tipping for hair services.  I love my stylist.  She has cut/colored my hair for 14 years.  She did all of my kids' first hair cuts.  So I started tipping.  

I come from a country where tipping is not done; in fact, it can be taken as an insult and would most certainly be refused with embarrassment.

I'll take AMERICAN CUSTOMS I LEARNED THE HARD WAY for $800, Alex!

So I don't know if it's to make up for lost years of not understanding American customs, or if it's due to the years I spent working as a waitress and bartender ... but now I tip everyone. Everyone except people standing at a register which does the counting for them, who have a plastic cup with a cutesy saying on it encouraging me to drop tips in - I don't tip them. But everyone else (in America)? I tip.

Writing that out got me thinking: I'm probably the jerk whose tipping encourages the aforementioned counter-sitters to put out that tip jar. May have to re-evaluate ....

Well, I tip for coffee because there is a difference between pushing a button and actually making a good coffee or a drink. I mean you tip the bartender, you tip the barista. That's why I tip. You can do minimum or you can do awesome.

As for hairdressers, I have heard that rule but I tip anyway.

Haircuts cost between $40 and $60 here at "mid-range" salons. If you want cheaper it is easy to go to Supercuts and get a cheap cut that won't set you back. But you get what you pay for. An hour's work, with overhead, taxes, etc. to me is worth $65 if it's my hair I'm talking about. So $55 + 15 = $70.

However, I cannot really afford that. So I just get my hair cut way, way less often than I should (like once every eight months instead of three months) or I get it done at Supercuts for a year.

I don't just go to the fancy place and not tip or something.

I think it might be an age thing.

I was taught long ago that if a hair stylist owns the salon that she doesn't get tipped. Tips were for the stylists working for her.

Fast forward to today: my current stylist owns the building and the various stylist-tenants pay her rent for their spots. So they don't work for her, they just let out a tiny salon in her building. She has stylists, manicurists etc. all who rent their own tiny salon space.

I haven't been tipping this stylist because again I was taught that if she's the owner, she doesn't get tipped.

But -- ugh -- it feels awkward. Plus I really like her and take my kids to her so. . .I'm thinking I'll start tipping just out of wanting to keep a good relationship.

Am I the only one that remembers this old rule?

Thanks for your feedback!

Alley

Yes, I know this rule and actually I think it is an important one.

There are three things going on here which are important.  One is that as the owner, she really is able to set her own prices, manage the business in the way she thinks best, and so on.  She has more control that an employee would.

Secondly, whatever profit the business makes is hers, if she wants it. That is not generally true of employees.

And the third thing is that she already has another source of income - she gets rents from the other stylists. 

• Like 1

I've never heard of that rule but I've also never had a stylist that owned a salon like you're talking about. I have always tipped. Then again it was habit since I'm (or was) a bartender and my stylist was a co-worker :P. When I have gone to someone else it was always just a standard shop that was never very expensive. I don't stress the exact amount as long as it's over 15% I just round up to the next $5 increment. So like another poster said if it was $10-17 just hand her a $20. I also agree with the idea of giving a smaller tip say a couple of dollars at a time throughout the year and then a larger "gift" at the end of the year if you see your stylist regularly. I generally cut everyone's hair at my house except mine. I really need to find a stylist since we've moved but I've been too scared to let someone new hack into my head.

Yes, I know this rule and actually I think it is an important one.

There are three things going on here which are important.  One is that as the owner, she really is able to set her own prices, manage the business in the way she thinks best, and so on.  She has more control that an employee would.

Secondly, whatever profit the business makes is hers, if she wants it. That is not generally true of employees.

And the third thing is that she already has another source of income - she gets rents from the other stylists. 

If the salon is run as a booth rental, every stylist manages their own books.  Generally prices are set salon-wide after collaboration, but each stylist is pocketing her own profit, so to speak.  While some stylists may be paying a booth rental fee to the owner, the owner is covering rent and utilities.  Some salons have each stylist buy her own supplies, others coordinate orders for convenience in having things delivered or picked up at supply stores.  My point is that booth rental salons tend to be much more collaborative in nature than a traditional employee/owner set up.  I know of very few salons outside of the Great Clips scenario where employee stylists are just paid a flat hourly rate.

Well, I tip for coffee because there is a difference between pushing a button and actually making a good coffee or a drink. I mean you tip the bartender, you tip the barista. That's why I tip. You can do minimum or you can do awesome.

As for hairdressers, I have heard that rule but I tip anyway.

Haircuts cost between $40 and $60 here at "mid-range" salons. If you want cheaper it is easy to go to Supercuts and get a cheap cut that won't set you back. But you get what you pay for. An hour's work, with overhead, taxes, etc. to me is worth $65 if it's my hair I'm talking about. So $55 + 15 = $70.

However, I cannot really afford that. So I just get my hair cut way, way less often than I should (like once every eight months instead of three months) or I get it done at Supercuts for a year.

I don't just go to the fancy place and not tip or something.

Not necessarily tru that more expensive is better. Often, yes... But the stylists all likely went to the same one or two local beauty schools. Many excellent stylists work at chain salons for flexibility in hours, or proximity to home, school or daycare. Sometimes the extra $25 for the haircut is just for the ambience of the pretty salon.

I've had clients come to me at a chain salon to fix $75 haircuts, and some people came to us for trims in between. I've known great and horrible stylists at both ends of the price range.

If the salon is run as a booth rental, every stylist manages their own books.  Generally prices are set salon-wide after collaboration, but each stylist is pocketing her own profit, so to speak.  While some stylists may be paying a booth rental fee to the owner, the owner is covering rent and utilities.  Some salons have each stylist buy her own supplies, others coordinate orders for convenience in having things delivered or picked up at supply stores.  My point is that booth rental salons tend to be much more collaborative in nature than a traditional employee/owner set up.  I know of very few salons outside of the Great Clips scenario where employee stylists are just paid a flat hourly rate.

In the scenario you mention, I'd tip each I think.  Except - if one was the owner.  That person is deriving income from rents and I don't tip them any more than I tip my landlord when he mows my lawn. 

The hourly rate IMO is irrelevant - a person who is getting a commission is essentially an employee in this scenario, even if each sets their own rates and hours and takes as many customers as they like.  They are still required to bring in a minimal income level of to satisfy the owner plus pay their expenses, and they are also probably going to be asked to leave if their work is seen as sub-standard by the owner.

One could argue that they are more like consultants and therefore self employed, but I don't think that is really true in this instance.  It might be the case if it were run something more like a co-op. 

Not necessarily tru that more expensive is better. Often, yes... But the stylists all likely went to the same one or two local beauty schools. Many excellent stylists work at chain salons for flexibility in hours, or proximity to home, school or daycare. Sometimes the extra $25 for the haircut is just for the ambience of the pretty salon.

I've had clients come to me at a chain salon to fix $75 haircuts, and some people came to us for trims in between. I've known great and horrible stylists at both ends of the price range.

I think what I've found is that in a more expensive place, there is often more quality control, so the really bad stylists get weeded out to some extent. 

The other way round doesn't seem to follow so much, there can be great people working at very mom and pop type places.