Menu

Ok...reading the controversy about mohawks got me thinking...POLL

Are mohawks an acceptable haircut in your world?  

1. 1. Are mohawks an acceptable haircut in your world?

• Yep.
    • Nope.

What do you think about mohawk hairstyles?

I'm thinking that maybe it's more prevalent/accepted in some areas than in others.

What say you?

p.s. I'm *not* looking for additional comments here, just a general yea or nay poll.

I have it set so you can vote without opening yourself up for others' comments.

Edited by Julie in CA

Would I let my son have one? (I voted yep)...okay, here is the issue..many have mentioned it before...sometimes we have outrageous hairdos as a 'statement'...so if we were to make a statement what would that be? If it's because a terminally ill child thinks it would be sooo cool to have one and if you had one too it would cheer him up, then by all means go for it! If it's just because your child wants to try something new and is brave enough to wear it...then go for it..but if it's because he is trying to emulate a rock star who holds no similar values by the content of their songs and what they perpetuate as music, then no...it's all about the intention. My kids are unusual in that they put no value on their hair style, just keep it out of their eyes while they're riding horses, weeding, cleaning, swimming...and they're good...I would always question why..

Tara

In my world as in my home, or in my world as in my general opinion?

We are a short hair on boys family. It is with some reluctance that it even goes longer than over the ears.

Having said that, some of the most precious young men I know have/had long hair sometimes even with tacky goatees :tongue_smilie:. I would not have missed knowing these men for anything and I have told their mom that their hair and their wonderful attitudes are a constant reminder to me to lighten up.

And one of the biggest bullies in our neighborhood is the cleanest cut.

Does appearance make a first impression on me? Of course. But it is also possible for me to look past that. I don't think that as the organizer of a group class that I would object unless it was a problem with the activity or truely a distraction. (IE, no tongue rings or lip rings in a presentation or poetry recitation class because it interferes with speech. No playing with earrings. Jangly bracelets might be a distraction in a writing class. Long hair (on boys or girls) would need to be pulled back in a science lab.)

Well, I would never get one because I am really vain and happen to love my hair.:lol:

If my sons wanted one I would allow it. It's only hair and they usually get bored with these types of things once they have done them. I allowed my 9 year old to bleach his hair blonde one summer.

I voted yes because I didn't want to vote no. Basically, hair is not a hill I want to die on. Unless it is making a morally objectionable statement (like something offensive shaved into it), I can live with it. We, of course, would have a discussion on the impact of a "creative" choice (like how one would be treated in different situations), but since it is not permanent, I am not too concerned.

Said by a mom who's children like conservative hairstyles ...

And one of the biggest bullies in our neighborhood is the cleanest cut.

Yeah. Remember Biff on Back to the Future? Very clean cut.

I voted no because I just don't like Mohawks and don't want to look at one on my child. But it's simply a matter of taste. If someone else allows her child to wear one, that's not my concern and I'd be happy to have them befriend my children as anyone else. I'm not concerned about it being an indication that they are about to go rob a bank or anything.

I would not look twice at someone in our area who had a mohawk, but I would strongly advise a child of mine not to get one. That is based on my own experience as someone who experimented with a wide range of unusual and sometimes extreme hairstyles as a teen and young adult. (Hey, at least I had hair back then!)

Sorry, I can't NOT comment because I think the poll was over-simplistic. Are you asking whether they are acceptable to me personally or in my community? To me? Sure. I know people with mohawks at my church and my co-op. Do I like them? Not particularly. Do I associate them with rebellion? Not necessarily, but perhaps. I'd have to know the person. Do I think people should judge a person based on hair style? No, but I do think that people will always do this and a kid needs to know the consequences of his (or her) choice.

I had to laugh when ds came home from camp this summer with his mohawk. He kept talking about it, etc. It was very tame, even more so than JoAnne's son's. But he was 18 and felt like it was so rebellious so I just ignored it and let him go away to his very conservative college with it. He shaved it off about a week into the school year.:lol:

I didn't answer the question, because neither answer worked for me.

Are they acceptable? Well, people have them. I don't think any of my boys would want one. *I* wouldn't choose one. I think they look dumb. But then, I wore my hair in banana clips in high school, so who am I to comment on what looks good?

I think they look dumb. But then, I wore my hair in banana clips in high school, so who am I to comment on what looks good?

Given a choice between the 21st century mohawk and the 20th century mullet, I'm going to go with mohawk. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

But I think they're hideous and would actively discourage my own child from having one.

Me too, though in the end I wouldn't forbid it at all.

What a cutie pattootie!

Oh my goodness...now I don't think this precious kid has an agenda....so I say GO FOR IT!! He's bringing humor and levity to a family on a daily basis...how could you get angry at a kid like that when he spills paint all over the kitchen floor..it'd take everything I had not to break out laughing when I saw his precious profile! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Tara

yes, there are different styles of mohawk and right now the 'fauxhawk' is popular. My SIL cuts them every week...it's a phase.

we have two kids in our soccer with mohawks. nice kids. nice parents. just letting their child try something. does it work in 'our world'....kinda.

it doesn't do anyone any harm. does it make a difference at 15? I think so...at that point they know society norms and they are liking it for the attention or true rebel at heart and probably not on a good path. unfortunately too many are on the wrong path and people judge the good people by the hair.

but we shouldn't judge. yet society does. so I think if someone of an older age chooses that hairstyle they need to be prepared to explain themselves often against the judgement. you can't change the world....when you choose to be outside the normal acceptable comfort zone you are going to have to deal with the people who call you out on it.

Oh my goodness...now I don't think this precious kid has an agenda....so I say GO FOR IT!! He's bringing humor and levity to a family on a daily basis...how could you get angry at a kid like that when he spills paint all over the kitchen floor..it'd take everything I had not to break out laughing when I saw his precious profile! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Tara

That face in the picture is exactly the I-spilled-paint-on-the-kitchen-floor face and darn it, it works every time...Even more with the mohawk! :D

I voted yes. Not that either of my kids have one but it's hair, if that is the worst thing I have to deal with as a teen that good for me. That being said, I had one when I was young,even shaved my head a few times; not to mention just about every color of the rainbow hair. I have my ears pierced no less then 9 times on each ear, granted I no longer wear any earrings at all due to hormone issues but I would if I could. I do not have tongue, nose, chin, eyebrows piercings but do have a tattoo and I would get rid of it. It is hair,which in the grand scheme of things is very minor. My dd has asked for pink streaks in her hair for her birthday, dh not to fond but it will change or grow out so why not. My boys also tipped their flat tops with blonde when that was the cool thing to do. It's a phase and this too shall pass.:001_smile:

I voted no, because I don't think we'd let our kids get away with a mowhawk. But after I voted, I reconsidered. I could have voted yes, because I don't care if someone else has a mowhawk. I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow, nor bat a lash..

But, we are a no makeup, no special hair, no frills family. My kids don't even know hair dryers exist! LOL.

Like Tess said, it may be more of an age thing, too. I gave my 6yos a mohawk last year and he looked adorable but hated it. I also gave my dh one...he didn't look nearly as handsome as usual, imo.

I tell ya what, though, I would rather a teen sport blue, pink, green or spiked hair than see a woman dye her hair to cover grey. ;) That's just me.:)

I didn't answer the question, because neither answer worked for me.

Are they acceptable? Well, people have them. I don't think any of my boys would want one. *I* wouldn't choose one. I think they look dumb. But then, I wore my hair in banana clips in high school, so who am I to comment on what looks good?

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about banana clips! I used to wear my hair in banana clips all the time! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I voted no. However my son is really good friends with a mohawk boy. I also help his mom transporting him to place because we are going there too. Yep! This is a homeschool boy all the way through.

However in spite of my misgivings over mohawks, he is a very respectable boy and very nice to be around. I really enjoy being around him.

Holly

What? A mohawk on an adorable kid-let with cute glasses??!

Bzzzzt!

I'm sorry! That is an in-admissible entry. Come back when he's angry, there are tongue rings, multiple- million ear piercings, and tats...lots and lots of tats.

But massive scoring in the Way Cute category. Plus bonus points for the angelic smile.

:lol:

Well, here was my purpose in the poll.

Somehow, in the replies to Joanne's post, it seemed that many folks were incredulous and outraged that anyone would feel disapproval about a mohawk hairstyle. There even seemed to be such strong feelings on both sides that some overly critical comments were made. It got me to wondering, "why do the people who believe it's ok seem so surprised that some people don't believe the same thing?" And..."why do the people who don't believe it's ok have such a strong bias against?"

As you can see from the poll, it's not as outlandish as many seem to think, that people would disapprove. It's obvious that the percentage of people who don't like the look is still (though not, it seems, the majority) fairly substantial. Regardless of where you stand on the issue, there's enough variation that people who disapprove have a point, as do the people who approve.

Clearly the people who aren't going for mohawks aren't so scarce as to be an oddity.

Clearly also, most folks think it's ok, and aren't flat-out wrong either.

Live and let live, I say.

Anyway, thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I really wanted to know percentage-wise, how it would come out!

I voted yes, because, as far as I'm concerned, it's not a hill to die on. So far I've managed to disuade the 12yo and 10yo from getting fau-hauks (I have no idea if I'm spelling that correctly), but if it really came down to it, I wouldn't prohibit it. Dh, on the other hand, would probably not be so easy-going.

Thanks for doing the poll. Someone in Joannes thread wanted to know why I would say that most people (and I meant that I knew, but since there are no mind readers around, I guess I should have said it), didn' t like them. I see that my statement is no so outlandish.

Sunshine

they are not prevalent around my area. in fact I have only seen mabey 5 Mohawks in my whole life( not including t.v )

I always was lead to believe they had something to do with Indian Mohawks going on killing rampages, and that was their war haircut. I could be completely wrong, and misinformed. native American history not being something that is taught much here in Australia