Menu

Strange comment from a ps kid

Aras

We just made a cross country move, and we are settling in to the area. My kids are middle school age but they still love to play outside. However most of the kids in the neighborhood that play outside are younger. My kids, not being picky, take it in stride and get down to the business of play.

Today ds told the neighbor kid that he was homeschooled. The kid asked if we homeschool because we were poor. What?? My son replied, "You do realize that public school is free, right?" Lol. It was just such a strange comment.

• Like 13

:lol:

Maybe that kid goes to private school, and doesn't realize that some schools are free?

This kid definitely goes to public school. 

A public school kids once asked me if we homeschool because we are poor 😅

I think we would have more money if we didn't homeschool. 

About six years ago I was friendly with a family that was really into video games. They had multiple consoles, always the newest thing. But they were frequently short of money and having "ramen weeks." They came to my house once and their son was flabbergasted that we didn't have an Xbox, or Playstation. He said, "You must be really poor!" I think his mom was pretty embarrassed. 

• Like 4

Maybe you live where I do which means public school is definitely not free. I was surprised by the bills I received in the first few months. I thought ps would be cheaper but I don't think it is as I still have to pay for books and many other things here. I hear many people complain but no one seems to do anything. When I add in all the other stuff in addition to the book fees I realize I pay at least as much for ps as when I homeschooled. I think I actually pay more now that they are in ps and I definitely will be paying more as the years go by because I don't get a discount for them using the same books and taking the same classes. 

• Like 1

Maybe he has heard comments about needy kids not being able to go to school because the family can't afford a coat or boots.  That's stated fairly often as they advertise Coats for Kids and such.

Or maybe they know another family that happens to homeschool and happens to be poor.

Kids' logic is funny.

The other day my kids said their neighbor (age 10) told them that she wouldn't like their school because they don't get to express themselves. I said, you guys express yourselves at school all day long.  My kids said that she was talking about the dress code.  Because my kids can't wear t-shirts, I guess.  :P

• Like 3

Maybe you live where I do which means public school is definitely not free. I was surprised by the bills I received in the first few months. I thought ps would be cheaper but I don't think it is as I still have to pay for books and many other things here. I hear many people complain but no one seems to do anything. When I add in all the other stuff in addition to the book fees I realize I pay at least as much for ps as when I homeschooled. I think I actually pay more now that they are in ps and I definitely will be paying more as the years go by because I don't get a discount for them using the same books and taking the same classes.

This. My kids have been in school in the US and Canada, as well as homeschooled.

At least with homeschooling, I can decide when the outflows of cash best fit my budget. With the schools, it seemed like we were constantly bleeding cash for some reason or another, on a deadline. Such as purchasing a wind instrument for mandatory band class for a kid who didn't even want to learn wind, but all the percussion spots were filled. When I had mandatory band class - the school provided the instruments. We only paid for our own mouthpiece.

ETA: Forgot to address the OP. Kids sometimes jump to the funniest conclusions. They don't have enough background info for more nuanced thought, yet. My own have made some mind-boggling leaps in logic every now and then. I just give relevant additional info to correct their assumptions and carry on.

Heck, you know what - grown adults make some ridiculous leaps and draw false conclusions and invalid assumptions all the time. I think it's just life.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 8

I don't homeschool because I am poor, but I am poor because I homeschool. :)

:iagree:   Not exactly poor, but we'd certainly have a different lifestyle if I was working full-time. Perhaps the money/work situation was the reason this child isn't being homeschooled anymore. 

• Like 2

LOL, reminds me of when my father found out I was seeing a nurse midwife instead for my pregnancy. "Can you just not afford a real doctor? I'll pay for it if you need me to!"  (he had the same reaction when he found out we were using cloth diapers, poor man)

• Like 6

Maybe he has heard comments about needy kids not being able to go to school because the family can't afford a coat or boots.  That's stated fairly often as they advertise Coats for Kids and such.

Or maybe they know another family that happens to homeschool and happens to be poor.

Kids' logic is funny.

The other day my kids said their neighbor (age 10) told them that she wouldn't like their school because they don't get to express themselves. I said, you guys express yourselves at school all day long.  My kids said that she was talking about the dress code.  Because my kids can't wear t-shirts, I guess.  :p

Any way I sliced it ps is not "cheaper" than home school. The "free" ps's my oldest attended in Oregon had so many fees and things that it was probably a wash in grade school and high school was probably more costly than simply home schooling. In CA the high school my dd attends now really is basically free. I have not spent $50 on her in more than a year and a half. But in Oregon the activities fees, art fees, sports fees, locker fees, PE fees, added up to hundreds (more than $500) a year.

• Like 2

I think the child was just trying to make sense of homeschooling. Is homeschooling common in your general area?

There are a lot of homeschoolers in the geographic area. I'm not sure about this neighborhood. Probably not because our neighborhood is a ghost town during school hours. I know kids so things through a different lens than we do. The conclusion surprised me and made me laugh. I know my kids weren't bothered by it, after the initial "huh??" my kids just continued to play with them. 

Kid reasoning is random hit-or-miss. Maybe mom says they eat at home instead of restaurants or she cuts their hair at home because it's cheaper and he concluded homeschooling is the cheaper alternative to outside school :). Or maybe they know a specific homeschooling family that is indeed poor and the child correlated the two. My 6-year-old has come to odd conclusions based on similar limited experience.

Edited by AndyJoy

It doesn't sound like an odd thing for people to say. I think when someone has something and you don't they automatically assume it means you're less fortunate. They never consider the possibility that you chose to do something or not.

Once when my oldest was around four we were at a play date. The parents were talking about the music their kids listened to. When I was asked I said it was what ever we listened to. They suggested to check her mp3 player. When I replied that she didn't have one I got a blank stare. One parent said their kid was spoiled with all the latest technology. I didn't even bother to say I didn't want my kids to have endless amounts of technology or listening to inappropriate music as if that was a status symbol for parents.

Anyway, people say things without realizing how ignorant they sound. Don't take it too seriously.

Edited by Kathleen.
  • Like 1

I haven't heard that one before, too funny. We'd be pretty well off if we didn't homeschool. We wouldn't be rich, but we could definitely afford many extras and vacations etc. All of my money now goes to curriculum and groceries. If the were in ps curriculum would be free and because of our income they'd qualify for free breakfast and lunch everyday. That would more than cut my grocery bill in half.

• Like 4

I can see it.  Parents in my area are always talking about how expensive "free" public school is.  I can imagine a child overhearing his mother mumbling under her breath "How do they expect anyone to be able to afford public school" or something of that nature.  Public school isn't free. 

• Like 1

In many circles, homeschooling is seen as a bit "Ellis Island", which people associate with poverty.  It's weird...in my neighborhood, there are quite a few homeschoolers, but I know neighbors we are close to (silently) think it is a choice for the lower-middle class/poor people.

• Like 2

LOL, reminds me of when my father found out I was seeing a nurse midwife instead for my pregnancy. "Can you just not afford a real doctor? I'll pay for it if you need me to!"  (he had the same reaction when he found out we were using cloth diapers, poor man)

You could tell him his grandchild will be pooping in a $45 GM fitted diaper with some super soft wool Sloomb covering it... Only the best for the best ;)

On a side note - I spent way MORE money on cloth diapers then I would have with disposables... but it was fun!

Someone in a group I'm in was comparing the cost of public school to what it might cost to homeschool (yes, this will vary greatly depending on so many factors). Anyway, she threw out a large number for what she was paying for ps and I was like what costs are we talking about? She listed all kinds of stuff that was non applicable to my personal ps experience (ipad fees, club fees, field trips). I remember very few field trips and not sure if there was actually any fee associated with them. Seems like it was generally, "bring a bagged lunch" lol but it could be that I was just oblivious as the child.

My kids aren't in PS, but I could see it adding up.  But personally, I am sure I would spend much more as a homeschooler, unless I got a stipend from the state.  (I don't think they do that here.)

But from a kid's perspective, they may be more likely to have heard of issues like having sufficient coats, shoes, boots, basic school supplies.  Not saying anyone here doesn't have those, but it's what kids hear when they hear of poor kids being unable to attend school.

When I was a kid, I attended a Lutheran school and we did the required payments, but not the optional extras.  I wasn't allowed to participate in any extracurriculars that involved any outlay of cash or transportation.  Not the end of the world, but I'm glad my kids aren't in that position.