Menu

Teens not wanting to drive? Anyone?

Night Elf

I've got 3 three young teens (DD is chronologically the youngest but acts much older) and none of them want to drive. The main reason cited is cost. Cost of a car, insurance, gas etc... Lucky for them we just moved to a city/town that has a decent bus system but they'll still be doing a lot of walking.  I actually expect DS will get his license and a car by 18 yrs old, then drive the other two around for $$.  DD will also probably get hers eventually just because she hates to be stuck at home. 

I'm always astonished that you guys still have the old rules.

Here the earliest you can get your learner's is at 16; then you can't do your first driving test until 12 months later so the earliest you can drive on your own (with restrictrions, no passengers, no night time etc) is 17.

Then you have to drive clean (no tickets, no infractions) for 24 months and you take another driving test to get an unrestricted licence. So the earliest you can get it is 19.

BUT, if you take an approved course, you can remove 6 months off that 24 months wait. The courses run $1,100 and up.

Wow! That is shocking.

In AR they can get a permit at age 14. They still can't get a dl until they are 16 and there have been some changes in recent years that I am not up on...I think they need at least 6 months of learners permit and then some sort of graduated thing after that.

Here in OK if you do Drivers Ed you can get LP at 15 1/2 and graduated DL at 16 and unrestricted at 16 1/2.

Here the earliest you can get your learner's is  at 16; then you can't do your first driving test until 12 months later so the earliest you can drive on your own (with restrictrions, no passengers, no night time etc)  is 17. 

Then you have to drive clean (no tickets, no infractions) for 24 months and you take another driving test to get an unrestricted licence. So the earliest you can get it is 19. 

BUT, if you take an approved course, you can remove 6 months off that 24 months wait. The courses run $1,100 and up. 

Yeah I don't know all the details of ours, but this sounds more similar than what some people talk about here.  I'm not upset about it.  That age group has a high rate of accidents.  The actual time spent on the road driving before getting a license is very very minimal.  I think plain and simple some kids that age should not get a license.  Or they should make it harder. 

Yeah I don't know all the details of ours, but this sounds more similar than what some people talk about here.  I'm not upset about it.  That age group has a high rate of accidents.  The actual time spent on the road driving before getting a license is very very minimal.  I think plain and simple some kids that age should not get a license.  Or they should make it harder. 

They did a neat thing too that it's the same for ALL new drivers. Doesn't matter if you're 16 or 46. You go through the same duration of restrictions in the graduated licencing & you have to display a letter symbol on your car if you do not have an unrestricted licence so all the drivers around you are aware. 

• Like 2

14 year old children can get a permit in our state...I'm terrified of my neighbors ds on the road, not to mention the countless others.  Recently a graduated license was adopted.

Here the earliest you can get your learner's is  at 16; then you can't do your first driving test until 12 months later so the earliest you can drive on your own (with restrictrions, no passengers, no night time etc)  is 17. 

• Like 1

Mine have been a mix. A couple I think would never get their license if we didn't say they had to and a couple were pretty ticked we wouldn't take them the day they turned 15.5. It's never been an option to just not get one bc in Oklahoma if you can't drive you might as well be stranded on an deserted island. You are totally screwed and dependent on others for your every need. Only some fast food delivers and public transport is almost nonexistance and always unreliable. Geez. It cost $25 once for dh and I to take a taxi from our house to his work 3.5 miles away.

But I have no issue with waiting until 18. And many states/countries are moving to that bc of the high rates of accidents teen drivers are far more likely to have. It's not about how good they are, it's just bc they are young and inexperienced.

Unlike Scarlett, we do the expensive defensive driving course which is about $350 each. They get 10 hours of class time and 6 hours of individual behind the wheel instruction and this gets 3 points off their insurance, which is no small thing when insuring anyone under the age 25.

ETA: Personally I don't like driving. I'd be all over affordable public transport if we had it here. I'd still insist on a driver's license bc I value the freedom that it affords when one wants or needs it.

Edited by Murphy101

Our state rule is you can get a permit at 15 if you're in a driver's ed class. At 15 1/2 if you're not in Driver's Ed.

You have to hold the permit for 12 months... so a license at 16 is only possible with professional driver's ed training... at 16 1/2 with parent-trained. They are required to get 50 hours of on the road practice, 10 at night.

The driving test can be taken at a driving school or through the DMV with an appointment.

If you're over 18 - you don't need the driving log or the over-12 months of holding a permit... just to pass the test.

ETA - the teen license is still graduated (in terms of a curfew and limits on passengers)

*Odd as the statistics I've read show that parent-taught drivers are safer drivers than professionally taught. They get more hours and mostly I think because they hear their mom wincing and gasping in the seat beside them when they screw up -- and in their head they STILL hear that as an adult LOL

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

I think it depends on the locale.

Back when I was growing up, driving a car was not my or many others first experience driving something huge and expensive. Many had been driving 4 wheelers on the ranch, or multi thousands of dollars tractors, or even granddad old beat up pick up to take in hay since they were 12 or 14 and good heavens would someone have ever whooped your arse if you were caught screwing around like an idiot with it so although you'll hear stories of boys being idiots, the majority knew better and took it very seriously. Heck, I even helped fly a crop duster once. I think I was 11. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ± Their family living depended on driving these machines safely. And farming is still a very dangerous living, so that's usually firmly impressed from a young age too.

But my kids had never done anything like that. Their first experience behind the wheel of something that could kill a person or themselves if they screwed up was drivers ed. So yeah, that's really intimidating to a lot of kids.

And though it's dangerous in the country, the liability is far smaller. It's unlikely the kid is going to hurt more than himself and the family goat.

In the city, it is a far higher dangerous learning curve. But states like mine don't have country laws and city laws for driving. It's just one law. Hence it still reflects that in a medium sized city, I can still see cows within four blocks of my house.

• Like 3

Our state rule is you can get a permit at 15 if you're in a driver's ed class. At 15 1/2 if you're not in Driver's Ed.

You have to hold the permit for 12 months... so a license at 16 is only possible with professional driver's ed training... at 16 1/2 with parent-trained. They are required to get 50 hours of on the road practice, 10 at night.

The driving test can be taken at a driving school or through the DMV with an appointment.

If you're over 18 - you don't need the driving log or the over-12 months of holding a permit... just to pass the test.

*Odd as the statistics I've read show that parent-taught drivers are safer drivers than professionally taught. They get more hours and mostly I think because they hear their mom wincing and gasping in the seat beside them when they screw up -- and in their head they STILL hear that as an adult LOL

That is probably what is doing it.  More hours.  Plus a parent might repeat ideas of safety.  The parent will probably also tell the kid when they think they are ready rather than say you do 6 sessions and are done. 

I had to use an instructor and really couldn't afford to do so until later on (so I got my license at 23).  I did more than the 6 sessions because I needed to. 

I think it depends on the locale.

Back when I was growing up, driving a car was not my or many others first experience driving something huge and expensive. Many had been driving 4 wheelers on the ranch, or multi thousands of dollars tractors, or even granddad old beat up pick up to take in hay since they were 12 or 14 and good heavens would someone have ever whooped your arse if you were caught screwing around like an idiot with it so although you'll hear stories of boys being idiots, the majority knew better and took it very seriously. Heck, I even helped fly a crop duster once. I think I was 11. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ± Their family living depended on driving these machines safely. And farming is still a very dangerous living, so that's usually firmly impressed from a young age too.

But my kids had never done anything like that. Their first experience behind the wheel of something that could kill a person or themselves if they screwed up was drivers ed. So yeah, that's really intimidating to a lot of kids.

And though it's dangerous in the country, the liability is far smaller. It's unlikely the kid is going to hurt more than himself and the family goat.

In the city, it is a far higher dangerous learning curve. But states like mine don't have country laws and city laws for driving. It's just one law. Hence it still reflects that in a medium sized city, I can still see cows within four blocks of my house.

Oddly I prefer driving in the city.  It is very different than driving out in the country though. 

It is a thing around here where teens don't seem to have any interest in driving.  Not in our house.  In our house whether you want to or not you get your permit at 16 and your license at 17 and start driving yourselves places.  Although, my 18 year old did want the freedom of driving and my soon to be 16 year old is looking forward to it.

Ds's best friend got his permit but rarely drives.  he did not pass his road test and has yet to go back. I know others who don't want their teens driving because of the insurance hit so they make them wait.  If they don't have their license someone else does so they can get rides. 

Personally, I don't get it.  I couldn't wait to drive when I was a teen. If you live in the city I can see where it may not be necessary to get your license as their is excellent mass transit.

• Like 2

My oldest will be 17 in November.  She has a permit, that we pushed her to get.  She hasn't driven since her driver's ed class ended.  It would be really nice with my restrictions right now for her to be able to drive, so we are planning to have her begin again with the hope that she will be able to drive herself to the CC this fall.  It's common, in my area, for teens to wait simply because required classes, and then insurance costs are so high.

Edited by melmichigan

My mother tried to teach me.  She screamed at me the entire time.  She was just too nervous.  I refused after that. 

I really wouldn't have had the money to drive anyway. at that point.  My parents shared one car so they really couldn't let me use their car. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I was never excited about driving. Still am not.

I also wonder if some of it is cost.

Frankly, having a teen driver doesn't mean he gets to drive bc there's only so many cars we can own. Unless there is a car for them to drive, there's not a lot of point to it.

I won't let any of my kids, even the 20 and 21 yr olds drive my 12 passenger van.

• Like 3

My mother tried to teach me. She screamed at me the entire time. She was just too nervous. I refused after that.

I really wouldn't have had the money to drive anyway. at that point. My parents shared one car so they really couldn't let me use their car.

Yeah. I'm glad my parents didn't teach me to drive.

Though I do tell my dh he is forbidden to complain about my driving bc he is the one who taught me to drive.

• Like 2

My ds does not want to drive, but I reluctantly decided to make it a requirement.  Most of the teens we know who are homeschooled are not driving yet.  I feel that since he is going to have to drive because of where we live, he should start now and get as much practice as possible in the hopes that he will be a safer, more confident driver.  He may not get his actual license until he is 18 because of financial reasons, but I at least want him on the road practicing until then.   But, he is a nervous wreck behind the wheel.  My niece, who goes to public school is very anxious and excited to get her license, as was my sdd 10 years ago, who also went to public school.

Is this a homeschool thing?  Though, I do also wonder if it is one more effect of the internet.  Someone above posted about the kids texting rather than getting together.  My kids would be happy to be home 24/7 as long as they had an internet connection.

• Like 2

Two of my kids could hardly wait, a couple others dragged their feet a bit, and another still doesn't have hers (and she's 21).  The two that dragged their feet had their reasons;  one was a biker and could bike everywhere in our small town.  Eventually he got around to it though (when he was 17).  Another dd we had to bribe;  she wanted a piercing and we told her yes, after she got her driver's license (she was 17 too). The last one always had rides from older siblings, and well, we had a lot going on in our family during her high school years.  So it just never happened.  She now is at a college where public transportation is great and she really doesn't have a need, though she'd like to get her license eventually.

I have two that have no real interest in driving.

My dd 18 has had a permit for a couple of years, but doesn't seem interested in getting her actual license. And I have a dd 16 that doesn't even have her permit yet.

They don't see much point, as they can't afford cars. Besides, our bus system here is excellent and both dual-enrolled and regular college students here get free bus passes. So they both can take the bus, walk or bike when they need to get somewhere. Or they have a friend drive them.

• Like 1

Even if we don't get another car it is helpful for all people of age to drive. On nights when I'm not working, but someone else has work or an activity they can take the car. That makes things easier with dd. I wish ds saw that. His university is an 8 hour drive. It would help if he helped with the driving. Ds wants to move to NM. He spent a year there a few years ago. He knows not driving and not having a vehicle is not optional there. But I think that is even abstract to him.

• Like 2

I think the license restrictions that don't allow a student to drive around their friends have limited their interest in driving considerably.

Yes, this. :iagree:   Only 1 unrelated passenger under age 21 until the driver is 18 (or 6mos after license if no violations and took and approved course, which would be 17.5 yrs old at minimum) Also, 11pm curfew until 18.

Diamond was the first of her friends to turn 18, so our minivan became the shuttle for all of her friends, otherwise they had to take 3-4 separate cars AND finish well before 10pm to get everyone home before driver's curfew.

Sweet Child has her learners permit. She is the youngest of her friend group, and likely to be the first to get her license.

Our state also requires 65 hours of supervised driving, supervisor 21+. So Diamond cannot yet supervise, which means it is all on me, as it would be for many families. :cursing:

They did a neat thing too that it's the same for ALL new drivers. Doesn't matter if you're 16 or 46. You go through the same duration of restrictions in the graduated licencing & you have to display a letter symbol on your car if you do not have an unrestricted licence so all the drivers around you are aware. 

I wish we were required to display a symbol for learners.  Maybe then people would be a little more patient when my girls do crazy things like drive the speed limit and actually stop at stop signs. :glare:

• Like 3

Oh yeah. I don't know what the law is, but none of my kids are allowed to be in the car with a teen driver, even a sibling. My oldest two have only recently been permitted to drive their younger siblings anywhere and none that were in car seats.

Too much distraction. And dh and I have a half joking theory that the more teens crammed together the lower the over all IQ dips. It's just a matter of time until someone says, "hey watch this!"

I know my boys don't have any interest in learning how to drive. 

Where we live we already get pretty much everywhere on foot, or bike. They are also adding light rail transit. 

Just yesterday the three of us walked about 12 Km / 10 miles, and went to:

- Harvey's

- University

- Wooded park

- Bank

- Library

- Grocery store

- Running store

I usually only use the car for around town stuff perhaps once a month. Dh use to bike to work but his office moved. Before that he would only use the car perhaps once a week. 

We also know several households that are one car, or no car. Driving just isn't something important in this area. 

• Like 2

They have to have classes if they get their permit before age 18.? Here in OK it is before age 16. And it wasn't expensive at all. $69

They don't have to have classes to get their permit . . .all of mine have had their permit before the age of 18, but they do have to have the classes to get their license before the age of 18.  I haven't looked into it for several years but when I checked it was around $400 with a long waiting list in our area.

My older is not that interested, but has finally decided that getting a driver's license might be a good thing to do before heading off to college.

My younger is somewhat interested, but has asked to wait at least another year before taking driver's ed.

We live in the city and they can take the bus or walk to most places they want to go.  Also they have *no* interest in freeway driving.  Admittedly, that's not my favorite kind of driving either.  Highway driving in less populated areas is great, but urban freeway is a whole different game.

I won't let any of my kids, even the 20 and 21 yr olds drive my 12 passenger van.

My oldest son loved driving our big van.  He loved it so much that he really wanted to take the driver's test in it. He had driven the van so much that when he started practicing for the maneuverability portion of the driver's exam, he could do the backing and forward more smoothly and accurately in it than he could in our Ford Taurus.  It was crazy!  I think it's because he had driven a lot on my dad's farm as an early teen with the tractors and big trucks that he has this uncanny ability to manipulate the larger vehicles into really tight spots.  

We did talk him out of it but he really wanted to see the State Highway Patrolman's face if he drove in with the van to take the test.

• Like 2

Driving gave me a lot of anxiety when I was a teen and sometimes still does. I wasn't excited about taking Driver's Ed and actually embarrassed myself by going on the wrong side of the median in our high school parking lot by accident with other students in the car with me. People laughed. Talk about great for your self-esteem. My greatest anxiety about driving was intersections because I didn't know if there was going to be a long or short yellow light and if I should slow down or go. I sorta caused an accident. I hesitated and stopped and then the cars behind me got in a fender bender. I know the rule of thumb is that the person behind you is responsible but I felt really badly because of my bad driving causing a chain reaction. I also never learned how to parallel park and to this day avoid street parking like the plague. I will only park if there's an end spot or no chance of other cars parking by me. I really probably need a car with a camera to guide me! I think I have issues with spatial reasoning behind the wheel. I always estimate wrong about how close I am and usually leave too much space (better than the alternative).

But that's just me. Other kids might have no desire to drive because they live in an area with public transportation. That's not as common in my state.

They have to have classes if they get their permit before age 18.? Here in OK it is before age 16. And it wasn't expensive at all. $69

Where we are it cost $350 for what is required to get a permit before age 16. So, many wait until 16 and then they have to hold the permit for at least 9 months before getting a license since they didn't do the previous requirements. Most around here are 17 before being licensed.

Neither of my dds are interested. Oldest hit 16 a few months ago but she won't be getting her permit until closer to 17 due to anxiety issues and medication. So, she won't be licensed until closer to 18. We will probably do the same with youngest unless she has a strong desire otherwise. For us it's just not a big deal driving them around. I stay home and dh works from home. I also enjoy the conversations in the car and am in no hurry to give those up.

Edited by Joker

I wasn't excited about learning to drive. My friends and I used to walk everywhere and a lot of relationship building conversations happened during those treks. For some reason that stopped as people started driving instead of walking. Meanwhile, where I grew up you were expected to learn to drive a manual or else you would have a restricted license that would only permit you to drive automatics. I never had access to a manual transmission though I did drive my mother's automatic. Driver's Ed wasn't part of school. Then there was public transport and living in a town with congested roads and expensive parking. And unemployment. And then there was moving to the U.S. I had a learner's permit in Texas where I drove but never got confident enough to test for my license before moving to NC. I got my learner's again but didn't get a lot of practice. Got caught up with life. It expired. The expense and the environment were convenient excuses but honestly .. as age increased, my anxiety increased.

I just sat for the test to get my learner's back in February. I'm 34 years old and have four young children and I am honestly scared. I am more aware of my mortality than ever and I have young people I am responsible for and they are depending on me. I have great anxiety about killing or maiming myself, my children or others. I should have learned to do this when I was younger and didn't think quite so much. I am committed to doing it though, for my own sake. I have been encouraged by a friend's mother who learned to drive at 40. Also a friend shared her experience learning to drive in Cambodia (very scary lol) and I took some tips from her -- start small .. no kids .. progress slowly .. I don't have to do anything I am not comfortable doing. 

*deep breaths* Prayers appreciated. I'll update you guys. lol 

• Like 3

My 19 year old talks about learning to drive but it stops there. She is actually quite nervous about the whole idea so I am more than happy to play taxi driver for now.

My 16 year old is quite blasĂƒÂ© about the whole thing. He will definitely graduate high school knowing how to drive.

I see so many bad teen drivers that I wish more parents made their children wait.

• Like 2

One of my brother's former teacher was such an anxious driver that it was anxiety inducing watching her drive. Many offered to give her a ride to and from work. It was on city roads and public transport was efficient from school to her home. She was also often a road hog unintentionally.

My dad was an anxious driver but not as anxious as that teacher.

My nine-year-old can't wait to drive - he reminds us how long until he can drive every single birthday, since he turned five.  We had neighbors who just moved to a small acreage in the country, and he is SO jealous that their kiddos (at least the 14-, 10-, and 8-year-olds) can legally drive on their own property.  Here, it's not uncommon for farm kids to get a school permit at 14, and drive themselves to and from school during designated hours, without an adult.  I do know friends whose teens have no desire to get their license.  When I turned 16, I became the family taxi for siblings - it was a great help to my mom, and I loved the freedom.

• Like 2

I think each child should be considered as an individual and a plan made with, and for, each of them. My oldest was encouraged to get her permit at about 16.5 and the plan she & we made was that she would have her permit for a year. She was tentative and all that practice was exactly what she needed. She got her license after one year, and she drove around our small town only for almost another year. Ds got permit at 15.5 and license at 16. He will say that it's a problem when your mom has to drive you to college. Next dd got permit nearer to 16. She was gung-ho to get license exactly 6 months after. But a classmate was killed in a car accident and that has slowed many kids in her class. She plans to get license sometime in summer. A plan is good, it can be changed, but at least there's some intentional plan to start with.

I've actually posted about this before. It was one of those instances where I was surprised to find a lot of people did not share my view. :)

I have been quite proactive about getting my kids driving competantly and working towards a license. Our state is graduated licensing and there are a lot of requirements. Therefore, I was the one (not my teens) who looked well ahead of time and signed them up for driving courses. I am the one making appointments with the kids to drive and learn with me or DH. I want my kids licensed as soon as they can be for a whole lot of reasons. I definitely want them competantly driving and fully licensed by the time they go to college. I also think most everyone gets a big boost in confidence and feeling in charge of their own lives by getting a license. i also frankly wanted and needed the driving help.

• Like 8

I learned to drive at 24 and only because I was a mother.

I had zip zilch zero interest in driving before then but I usually assumed that was because I always lived where there was good public transportation.

Honestly most days, as I navigate the beige minivan to and fro I wonder if it was a mistake to start driving at all, lol.

Edited by LucyStoner

Wow! That is shocking.

In AR they can get a permit at age 14. They still can't get a dl until they are 16 and there have been some changes in recent years that I am not up on...I think they need at least 6 months of learners permit and then some sort of graduated thing after that.

Here in OK if you do Drivers Ed you can get LP at 15 1/2 and graduated DL at 16 and unrestricted at 16 1/2.

Many states, on noting the much higher accident rates and fatal accident rates for young teen drivers, created more restrictive laws. It wasn't just new drivers, it was new and YOUNG drivers pushing up those stats. I lost 2 friends to what can only be termed "stupid teen driving" and 1 was very nearly killed. Three different accidents. All before the new laws passed. I appreciate the more restrictive laws we have now.

• Like 1

I figure it's because I don't drive. (It's always the mom's fault, right ?)

My kids learn to navigate public transport maps well early because I can't drive.

They learn that driving is a chore most of the time because hubby grumbles while driving. Hubby would be happy to take the company bus if his company has one to our area. He used to take the company bus to work in one of his former company and loves getting some rest there and back.

Hubby loves living in walkable neighborhoods as much as me. We both grew up in highly walkable cities, could walk to a public hospital as well.

If the public transport was less costly per person than gasoline, even my hubby would take the light rail than drive.

• Like 1

I've actually posted about this before. It was one of those instances where I was surprised to find a lot of people did not share my view. :)

I have been quite proactive about getting my kids driving competantly and working towards a license. Our state is graduated licensing and there are a lot of requirements. Therefore, I was the one (not my teens) who looked well ahead of time and signed them up for driving courses. I am the one making appointments with the kids to drive and learn with me or DH. I want my kids licensed as soon as they can be for a whole lot of reasons. I definitely want them competantly driving and fully licensed by the time they go to college. I also think most everyone gets a big boost in confidence and feeling in charge of their own lives by getting a license. i also frankly wanted and needed the driving help.

This was me.  For sure, ds would not have been able to gather the documents and fill out the paperwork required to get a learners permit.  We had to fill out a bunch of paper work and sign in blood and get permission from the state of OK before they would even allow us to purchase a third party on line- parent led, Drivers ed course.  

And I had to teach him to drive.  Dh did no teaching except the parallel parking...dh set up cones and our extra car in the drive way and ds practiced over and over and over.  Dh taught him how to do that.  I could do it in a pinch, but honestly there is so little need of that in the  world we live in.   

Back in the day I just read the drivers manual, took my birth certificate and my mom down to the DMV and took a written test the day I turned 14.  Then the day I turned 16 I took my mom and myself down to the DMV and took the driving portion of the test and that was that.  No testing since.  

And every one learned to drive.  Many got a hardship license at age 15.  It was just part of growing up.  

I realize things are different now with the high cost of drivers ed (I never took it) and the high cost of insurance.  I really wish they didn't make it so difficult for kids.  Especially in rural areas.  Driving is not a luxury here.

• Like 1

Many states, on noting the much higher accident rates and fatal accident rates for young teen drivers, created more restrictive laws. It wasn't just new drivers, it was new and YOUNG drivers pushing up those stats. I lost 2 friends to what can only be termed "stupid teen driving" and 1 was very nearly killed. Three different accidents. All before the new laws passed. I appreciate the more restrictive laws we have now.

It will be interesting if the years to come show a drop in accidents for teen drivers.  Personally I think drivers ed and expensive courses do not make better drivers.  I have had many friends of my youth die in accidents.  All of them involved high speed and or drugs and alcohol.  

• Like 1