Menu

adult coloring books...

SparklyUnicorn

I do one as quality time with Ds while we either talk or listen to an audiobook. It is not terribke, but I would much rather run on a treadmill to destress! Ds really likes it and that is really the whole point. If in 20 years he discloses that he only pertended to like it because I liked it, that might be rather frustrating.

• Like 5

Tangle art causes me extreme anxiety! My perfectionism jumps right in - I have to do them in pencil since I know I am going to screw up. I try to outline in pen, but it looks forced and not flowy. Then I self loathe. It is really a complete meditation fail on my part!

Yes, this is exactly it for me!!!

I love the way it looks and the idea, but geesh it was not relaxing!

• Like 2

During downtime at a convention there was a table setup with these and a good selection of writing things.   The things made with gel pens, particularly the ones with sparkly in the ink all seemed particularly pretty. 

I have an adult coloring book story.   They did a santa exchange at work.  The kind where you didn't buy for a particular person.  The HR lady received an adult coloring book, and thought it was a *ahem* adult coloring book.  As in something you wouldn't do with your kid sitting nearby.  So, she never looked at it.  Of course, no one else was going to look at it.   The giver had to come forward and explain.  

• Like 4

They're okay. They definitely can be very zen making. On the other hand, they don't stretch my creativity. They're a bit like playing Tetris for me. As in, repetitive, occupies part of my brain and cuts off emotions or boredom but doesn't push me to think or feel better overall. They're good for during school time when I can't do anything too distracting because the kids need me, but if I don't do something, I'll go insane or micromanage the kids' work.

• Like 4

I love them - but only the pattern ones, not the pictures.

I have at times gotten anxious over doing it perfectly, but I keep reminding myself, it's about the process - doesn't matter if it's beautiful at the end.

Edited by 8circles
  • Like 1

I have done some and like them, but the ones I like are very detailed and time consuming so I get a bit frustrated.

I love the Staedtler Triplus pens, they are best for very fine detail, not for big areas.

I recently got a coloring book I love, The Time Garden, but I haven't done as much coloring in it as I thought I would. Maybe I should get it out. I was doing that with pencils, but I really want a bigger set of pencils. Then I get to be a perfectionist, so instead of being relaxing it makes me anxious.

• Like 2

No, I don't expect to ever try them.  For one thing, I don't see myself having time to do something "for myself" without feeling guilty about not doing something else.  The fact of not doing something "productive" would be stressful for me.  And if were going to just relax and play with colors, it would be free-form.

Generally, I don't need any aids to de-stress or relax.  If I'm very stressed out, nothing helps that better than getting some real work done.

• Like 1

I have several.  I like them, though my actual hobbies would  come first if asked what I would prefer to do.  However, it makes coloring with the littles much better as I can only color Sophia or Mickey so many times.  I also like to work on them during my teaching time that doesn't require much of me but does require my presence.  And I like to have one to take places where I'm likely to feel bored waiting.  My children all like them too - more interesting to color and they feel as though it's something special to color in one of Mommy's books.  

• Like 2

I like coloring and zentangling, especially while listening to a podcast or audiobook so I can scribble quick notes from my listening if need be. I only have a pattern coloring book - not actual detailed pictures - I'd probably not enjoy those, but I might try one one day, just to be sure.

• Like 1

I bought one.  I colored in it for a few minutes, then abandoned it.  I chose badly.   It was all kaleidoscope-type patterns, so it turned out to be very boring for me.  Not that I thought coloring was terribly creative in the first place!  I gave it to my daughter, who colored in it a bit during a youth group retreat - most of the kids had them - but I expect it'll end up in the recycling bin soon.   Every now and then I'm tempted by one of the picture ones, like Johanna Basford's Secret Garden and the like, but I think it will just end up as wasted money for me. 

Edited by marbel

I've had my own coloring books, crayons, coloring pencils and markers for over 20 years.  I've always liked to color.  I am not at all artistic and have trouble finding time (or space) to do the other creative things I like, like scrapbooking.   I've done a few Zentangles and they work for me (I've always been a shapes and line doodler when in classes or meetings) but they aren't the kind of thing you'll ever see posted on Instagram.  :p  I have geometric shape and maze coloring books that I've had for years and years.  Now I have some of the newer patterned ones.  I like them but some are too complicated.

• Like 1

I've been coloring for a number of years. It's been a big de-stressor for me when I visit my MIL. She is paralyzed on the left side of her body (due to a stroke) and has resided in a nursing home for over 10 years. Unfortunately, dementia is setting in and she is losing the art of conversation. However, she does want people to sit with her. Neither one of us likes TV that much so that leaves me with not much to do as she gets upset if I do other things. I am not good at twiddling my thumbs! So quietly coloring next to her helps immensely.

One tip I want to share about the "perfect" look: look up ColorCombos.com. When I first started, I didn't like how my pictures came out. I realized I didn't like my color scheme. Once I found the site listed above, it made a tremendous difference as to what colors look best together. I've been surprised at some of the combinations. Now I am learning techniques like outlining, blending and texture.

• Like 3

When I see those in stores, I get stressed out just thinking about them, and I honestly wonder if they are really more stress-producing than therapeutic for most people.

Oh see, for me they are way better than attempting to meditate.  A therapist I had was big on meditation.  I could never get into it.  Just sitting there doing nothing and staring off into space.  Boring.  And sometimes I'd do that and just start coughing or fall asleep.  LOL  So with something like coloring or puzzles I can sort of achieve a meditative state, but there is just enough activity to keep me from being bored stiff. 

• Like 1

When I see those in stores, I get stressed out just thinking about them, and I honestly wonder if they are really more stress-producing than therapeutic for most people.

It can certainly be stress inducing for me if I'm in a particularly OCD mood. Then I worry too much about the colors flowing well together and looking good. That is why I never do them when I'm feeling the that. But they still are not therapeutic. Just something to do while I watch TV or the kids are coloring. I punch and kick bags to get rid of my stress.

I tried it and found that it was relaxing in 15 minute chunks, and only if the design was not too intricate.  I got some adult coloring postcards and that works for me, in part because they are USEFUL at the end.  Always pragmatic, that's me.  

My sister, on the other hand, adores coloring.  She lives with my 93yo mom and they color while they watch football or the news or whatever.  

My "coloring" is with needle and thread--embroidery or needlepoint.  I have my own time-waster, I guess.  :0)

That has not happened yet. Knowing my usual pattern I'd save it for awhile. Then during one of my deep cleaning sprees I'd toss it.

I think that's what keeps me from diving into such a thing - the knowledge that one day it's just gonna end up round filed. I had enough trouble tossing coloring books my sweet little ones scribbled their way through. It would increase my stress to trash something I'd spent hours on.

I think that's what keeps me from diving into such a thing - the knowledge that one day it's just gonna end up round filed. I had enough trouble tossing coloring books my sweet little ones scribbled their way through. It would increase my stress to trash something I'd spent hours on.

Well, then again there is no rule that says you have to toss it. 

I hear you though.  I just threw out my 14 year old's kindergarten work.  I saved all of it.  No clue why. 

• Like 1

I just bought one today.  I had previously printed some sheets off from the internet but they always get destroyed.  This will be something to do at co-op or when I am stressed out.  I did not think it would really reduce my stress until I tried it one day.  I cannot do it for hours on end but for a little bit it is good.

• Like 1

I've looked at them and, thought, wow, that would stress me out, not help me relax. I have friends who swear by them, but I've never been tempted to try one. I was never much into coloring as a kid, either.

I wasn't into coloring as a kid either, but one thing I never liked about kid coloring books is that the spaces to color are large.  The adult ones have small spaces.  Although sometimes they are a bit too small.

• Like 1