Menu

Cold/flu going around?

Luanne

Everyone in our household is achy, has a runny nose, sore throat, and cough. My sister back in Colorado has the same symptoms. My brother and his wife also in Colorado (different city) just got over the same thing. How many of you are dealing with this right now and where do you live?

Three weeks ago we had this at our house. All four kids all swabbed positive for influenza type A AND strep throat at the same time. Oldest DD was so sick she went into diabetic ketoacidosis and I spent 36 hours in the ER with her while relatives from Oregon arrived for a pre planned visit. (They risked it and lost...went home with the flu.) The two youngest girls developed secondary ear infections and one of them also developed some symptoms of asthma. It was a terrible week at our house. It's been all around town where we live in AZ. My parents had it recently in UT. It knocked my kids out for a full week. Bad news.

Hope you all get through it and are well soon!

• Like 1

We have had it here. So far only my middle kid has escaped. Youngest and I seemed to get it the worst. DH and DD only had it for a week but youngest and I have had it for over two weeks. Ours turned into bronchitis. I am hoping to feel better soon. The doctor said that it is going around. A lot of girls at DD's dance studio have been out sick. We are in southwest Washington.

I am reading this at 1:30am as I battle it. I never get sick.....but have been subbing for the severely multiply impaired classrooms lately.....and picked it up there.

When you have total care students who are sick with it the germs are everywhere despite me washing my hands non stop.

I am in West Michigan and my friend who is a NP has been flooded with it at work too.

Edited by Ottakee

Our pastor said last Sunday that he volunteered at his kids' school and it was like a ghost town.

Ds15 came down with it last week, and is just now beginning to recover. Four days of fever, and more than a week later, he's still exhausted and coughing.

The other two boys woke up with fevers yesterday. Middle ds had a fever for a day, touch of a cough, night terrors (he gets these when he gets I'll), but felt better today; youngest has an intermittent fever, cough, sore throat, feels puny.

I had it last month. Dh had a flu shot, and hasn't had so much as a sniffle.

The principal from dd's high school called earlier this week saying the flu was going around, and to keep your child at home until fever free for 24 hours. Oh, and by the way, ISTEP is this week as well. Dd16 started complaining of not feeling well the next day. She missed school yesterday. The twins are ill too, first little dd then little ds. They have high fever, cough, achiness, and a bit of a sore throat.

Eta: We are in Indiana.

Edited by Openhearted

I'm in Colorado, but the bug went around our group about a month ago.  DD and I were both sick for about 2 weeks.  Don't know if it was flu because our fever didn't get that high.  But severe coughing, severe sore throat, body aches.

I am *just now* really getting over the cough.  It lingered, along with some sinus congestion that had everyone asking, "are you still sick?" over and over again.   DD's massive tonsils swelled up like balloons almost strangling her, leading us to now planning for a tonsillectomy this summer.  :glare:

We've had colds and lingering coughs in the big kids, but nothing too serious, thankfully. The baby has been a little stuffy but not enough to need steaming or sitting up to breathe.

When we've been at the public school for music classes the last few weeks, there's always been at least one miserable looking kid in the office waiting to be picked up. It is going around here.

Midwest

Ds had strep a couple of weeks ago(luckily the rest of us dodged the bullet) but otherwise we haven't been sick since around Christmas, we all caught a cold then, thank goodness for the lighter schedule although it sucked to feel icky during the holidays.

It's sick time up here near the Great Lakes.  My kids say about a third of their class has been out sick in the past week or so.  Several have strep, the rest colds.  Just came back from taking my kid to the doc this morning.  My kid is never sick enough to go to the doctor.

We had Influenza A in our household. It started a couple of weeks ago and went through all of my children and then me. I know it was Influenza A because my youngest was having breathing problems and so I took him into the doctor and they tested him for the flu. So he ended up with albuterol and Tamiflu. Now everyone is better, but it was a rough couple of weeks. Those affected had fever, chills, headaches, and one of my kids threw up. They still went to bed early 7-10 days after they got better. I'm training for a half marathon, and I probably won't be able to resume my training for another week. We live in the midwest, if that helps.

I have had an upper repository thing for over a month now.  I keep thinking it is getting better and then I am knocked back down again.  I did not even make it to church yesterday ( and I will usually drag myself since I teach Sunday School), I feel totally wiped.  I slept most of yesterday and I still am tired today.  I am hoping to feel better tomorrow since we have a field trip to a candy maker and then we are supposed to go to my in laws (plus several other things this week).  I am over in WNY and so many folks are sick around here.  It does not help that the weather keeps change, temp goes up and then the next day it drops way down.  It is supposed to be getting warmer this week, hopefully it will last.