Menu

Board game people

sassenach

I'd love to know your top pick in each category.

1) Cooperative (everyone wins or loses together)

2) Word (like Apples to Apples)

3) Classic strategy (like Catan)

I'm overwhelmed by a million options. If Apples to Apples or Catan are your favorite, then give me your second favorite for the 12 and older crowd.

Of what we own...

1. Forbidden Island. It is the only cooperative game we own that isn't aimed at little kids.

2. Apples to Apples. Again the only one we own aimed at older people.

3. Ticket to Ride

Edited by UCF612

1. Marvel Legendary (current favorite, played by ages 8 and up). Castle Panic. Forbidden Desert.

2. Don't play any word games.

3. Rampage (we bought two copies and play with up to 8 people at once). Carcassonne. I'm not sure if these would fit in the classic category, but we love King of Tokyo and King of New York as well.

• Like 1

2) Wise and Otherwise

This is similar to Balderdash, but you're given half of an actual proverb from another culture and have to make up a believable second half. You get points if people vote for yours being the actual proverb.

I saw this somewhere and thought it looked like fun.  I've never actually played it though.  I think my mom would love it.  She loves Balderdash.

• Like 1

1. (we've never played one. We like to win, I guess!) LOL

2. Boggle - Scrabble is actually my personal favorite but Boggle works better with a group and varying abilities

3. Stratego (for two) or Singapore Rummy (cards, for 3+) -- We enjoy Catan & Ticket to Ride, but these are our go-to, all-time, most-oft played favorites

1) Battlestar Galactica or maybe Dead of Winter... I've turned off of straight co-op, tired of the one-player domination dynamic. I prefer a generalized co-op but with individual goals/aims, the possibility of a betrayal, etc. But my kids love Forbidden Desert and I had a run of Pandemic a few years ago until I played way too much on IOS and concluded that it wasn't fun with people ;)

2)Paperback! (It's a deckbuilder word game!) and Dixit fits here.

3) Seven Wonders is a go-to here or Core Worlds... Firefly takes fricking forever but is way more fun with the expansions.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

I'd love to know your top pick in each category.

1) Cooperative (everyone wins or loses together)

2) Word (like Apples to Apples)

3) Classic strategy (like Catan)

1. We recently played and enjoyed Hanabi; it's a cooperative card game.

2. I'll add another recommendation for Wise and Otherwise.

We also like Bananagrams (not a board game) and Quiddler (a card game).

3.  I've never played Catan. I'll put in a vote for a game that uses logical thinking; it's a two person board game: Quarto

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

1. Cooperative:  (current fave) Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (free PDF manual and then the "game" is $15, download or on Steam); also, Pandemic, Mysterium, and Betrayal at House on the Hill.  We have Zombie 15, too, which is great because it has a soundtrack/timer that makes it intense!

2. Our favorite word games are actually in the Jack in the Box party packs for XBox One (available in several formats).  Also, Snake Oil.

Settlers of Catan is an "area control" game (classic strategy is more like Risk in my mind...)  A current game that our Settlers of Catan fan and I LOVE is Machi Koro!  It's a dice and hand management type game that really reminds us of Catan but takes less time and is still fun with only 2 players.  We bought the Harbor Expansion and swap cards in and out as we like to keep it different.

ALSO, fyi for fans of Ticket to Ride (me!):  There is a cool expansion called Alvin & Dexter which adds an alien and dinosaur character to the game which creates some mayhem and adjusted play.  hehe

Fun, new favorite party game we just tried:  Ca$h 'n Guns!  This is a fun one with 4-6 players.  

• Like 1

1) Pandemic- there's now Pandemic Legacy. We haven't played that, but we do have and like Risk Legacy. Even though Risk isn't cooperative I believe the Legacy versions are supposed to be similar. Truthfully, can't think of other cooperative games right now. Pandemic is a good game regardless. Plus it has good expansions.

2) Dixit- As someone else said not sure if it goes here, but again where else does it go?? You do use words to describe the cards, so probably does go here. These type of games are my favorite, but we rarely played them because my son is dyslexic. Dixit is perfect for him because he doesn't need to read anything. It really is a great game for anybody and it has expansions for when you get used to the main cards. Just a note, it's not a playing "card" type game.

3) Dead of Winter- This game is zombie themed, but even if you don't like zombies it's a lot of fun. It's kind of like the Walking Dead in that it's more about the people than the zomies. We bought this game about a year ago and have really enjoyed it a lot. We had to order it directly from the game maker Plaid Hat Games because it was so popular that it was being back ordered. They did have some sellers on Amazon, but it was way higher than the original cost.

I just looked and I think the game is in stock now on their website.

Even though you didn't mention card games, I thought I'd throw one in.

Love Letter- it doesn't use traditional playing cards. It's easy to learn and it's a fun game that doesn't take as long to play. There is a Batman version that I actually prefer. I think it only has a few small rule changes, but I like the theme better. You can buy either on Amazon. They are inexpensive. This one was also good for my dyslexic son. Even though there are words with rules on the cards I could remind him often and after a while they were easy for him to remember.

Edited by Redeemed7
  • Like 1

Dd's favourite is Cashflow for Kids, which doesn't fit any of your categories.

There's also a little card game called Archaeology she likes too, when the rest of us are too tired to play Cashflow.

Mathsy games get the push around here.

Edited by Rosie_0801
  • Like 2

Elf queen, I didn't see where you had already mentioned Dead of Winter. Thought I'd read all the posts. In truth, I was reading while also directing dd in how to write a transition sentence. I probably missed a few things.

Love Letter is great. Actually, there really are a lot of great games out there now. I won't let my dh know that though. He's always loved video games and in the last few years he's discovered that board games have made a come back. Needless to say, we've purchased more than we need. We've agreed to no new games until we pay down some debt. However, that doesn't keep him from looking. Just last night in bed he's looking at a card game where a duck blows up or something. I can't remember the name now. I mentioned that he looked at games at night before bed a lot. He said he hardly ever looked at his phone in bed. HA! I told him sure hardly ever if you count that as 4-5 nights a week. The phone does need charging occasionally. He did have to give a guilty grin after that.

We really like Munchkin. Have you played that one?

• Like 1

I'm not a Munchkin fan but my younger two both play with friends.

We have so, so many games and get more pretty regularly. Does your DH know the Tabletop show on youtube with Wil Wheaton (Felicia Day's Geek and Sundry channel) and boardgamegeek.com ? Both are great resources but will spend your cash. If you have a decent stand alone game store many have an instore game library where you can play games before buying them,

We have so, so many games and get more pretty regularly. Does your DH know the Tabletop show on youtube with Wil Wheaton (Felicia Day's Geek and Sundry channel) and boardgamegeek.com ? Both are great resources but will spend your cash. If you have a decent stand alone game store many have an instore game library where you can play games before buying them,

This probably qualifies as my kids' favorite as well, but it didn't seem to fit any of the OP categories, so I didn't mention it.

Cooperative - Scotland Yard

Word - Balderdash is my favorite, but I like Scrabble as well.  And classic charades though that isn't a board game.

Strategy - Cathedral.  Mahjong

Some cities have board game cafes which can be a nice way to try out new games without buying them.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure our families would be friends.  LOL  We regularly go to a local board game cafe (we have a family membership) and have SO many stinking games from watching Tabletop!  :P  I love these threads.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure our families would be friends.  LOL  We regularly go to a local board game cafe (we have a family membership) and have SO many stinking games from watching Tabletop!   :p  I love these threads.

Aw That's So SWEET!!! Thanks! I love threads like this where I can see others who share my interests!

Yes, he watches Tabletop and frequents board game forums. He really like Tom Vasel (Dice Tower) and watches all his board game reviews. He really got into it a couple years ago and made his own game. Well, he didn't "make" the game, but used a concept that the author put on the web for free. You use the concept, but design it the way you wanted to. You make your own board, game pieces, cards, etc. It was not inexpensive endeavor.

We do have a game store about 35 minutes away. He tries to drag me in there on occasion. He's also wanted to go to their game nights, but we haven't done that yet. He really wishes he could find people in our area that like to play. He especially would like to find people that like the heavier games that are more complicated. He wants to play games like Twilight Imperium. I'm not really into games that take all day and where the rules require a two hour review every time you play. I can play something like Merchant of Venus occasionally, but that's about my limit. He and the kids also really likes Cosmic Encounter, but I dread every time he brings it up.

• Like 1

MY DH likes Dice Tower. He has written quite a few Story-games/Roleplaying games but is not into board game design.

I have to be in the mood for a long-run game AND I have to feel like I'm involved and interested most of the time. There are some games that can do that for me, and there are some that definitely don't.

I'm pretty sure our families would be friends. LOL We regularly go to a local board game cafe (we have a family membership) and have SO many stinking games from watching Tabletop! :P I love these threads.

I was pretty sure from your post that our family could be friends too, but then I read your signature and I was sure if it! 😄 I could have written it except for the fact that I only have two kids.
  • Like 1

Settlers of Catan is an "area control" game (classic strategy is more like Risk in my mind...)  A current game that our Settlers of Catan fan and I LOVE is Machi Koro!  It's a dice and hand management type game that really reminds us of Catan but takes less time and is still fun with only 2 players.  We bought the Harbor Expansion and swap cards in and out as we like to keep it different.

Thank you for this! It sounds great, and I just ordered it. I'm always looking for games that work well with just two players.

My son just came in begging to play a game. It reminded me that we have another semi cooperative game we enjoy. It is Scotland Yard. Basically it is everyone working together vs one player. One person plays Mr X, everyone else play as detectives. The detectives move around the board in pursuit of Mr X. Either the detectives all win by catching him or Mr X wins by eluding them.

• Like 1