Menu

What is your ultimate sweet AND salty thing to eat?

Anne in CA

I don't have any sweet and salty things on my lunch menu at all, unless you count Chef Salad with vinaigrette dressing or spinach salad with the same dressing. My favorite sweet and salty thing is peanut brittle, but that is not lunch, lol. What about breakfast? I suppose that all the people who cover their pancake and bacon in syrup get their sweet and salty fix, but any other thoughts? 

For sweet and salty, I'd say a Mr. Goodbar or homemade peanut clusters. 

ETA:
Oh, are you looking for your menu? 
Do you have chicken and waffles? That seems to be the ultimate in the South and in diners lately. 

ETA2: 
Chicken and waffles transcends meal type barriers. It can be breakfast, lunch, dinner - whatever you want/need. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

Well, I was thinking sweet and salty for the lunch menu. I don't have waffles, although I probably should switch to waffles from pancakes so that the pancakes don't tie up the grille. I don't have a good place for a waffle maker, though. Chicken and waffles WOULD suit my crowd, I admit. Grilled cheese with apple slices does sound good too.

• Like 1

Monte Cristo? I don't prefer them, but my mother does.

Glazed/candied bacon is good

Chicken and waffles mmmmm

There's a place near my dad's that does grilled fluffernutters and you can add bacon

DH likes Thanksgiving sandwiches with cranberry sauce for the sweet (though tart)

Salad with roasted beets and goat cheese

• Like 1

Monte Cristo? I don't prefer them, but my mother does.

Glazed/candied bacon is good

Chicken and waffles mmmmm

There's a place near my dad's that does grilled fluffernutters and you can add bacon

DH likes Thanksgiving sandwiches with cranberry sauce for the sweet (though tart)

Salad with roasted beets and goat cheese

Ohh! My husband loves Monte Cristos. 

Melts or paninis are usually the easiest for that sweet and salty.
You could also do a cranberry sauce, turkey, and cheddar melt; patty melts with sweet pickles or a "Big Mac" type sauce; or ham/brie/pear or turkey/brie/apple paninis. 

This is by far my absolute favorite sweet/savory/salty recipe. I could eat the stuffing all day long. 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/stuffed-pork-chops-with-sausage-and-apricots-recipe.html

• Like 1

Chicken salad with zucchini bread and fruit

Belgian waffle with eggs and bacon (it was a breakfast/brunch/lunch place and I got this for lunch)

meat sandwiches with a sweet dressing--chicken club with honey dijon, Reuben with thousand island

• Like 1

For lunch I love a spinach salad with feta cheese, walnuts, and dried cranberries, topped with balsamic vinaigrette. The feta and cranberries are a delicious sweet/salty mix!

I also like slices of cheese, crackers, almonds, and green olives. After that, I'll have a piece of chocolate. :)

For breakfast, I'm not a fan of sweet, so if I have sweet it's usually from fruit or yogurt. I like scrambled eggs and salsa in a tortilla. I also like a good, hearty, grainy slice of toast topped with mashed up avocado and a sprinkling of garlic salt. Yum!

• Like 2

Okay, I don't recall having ever heard of the chicken-waffle combo before. Can anyone tell me more? Shredded chicken thrown on a frozen waffle? Fried chicken and gravy on ... some other waffle? Is syrup involved?

We do fried chicken strips with waffles/syrup on the side. I've also been known to make cornmeal waffles and serve them with chili and tacos.

• Like 2

Okay, I don't recall having ever heard of the chicken-waffle combo before. Can anyone tell me more? Shredded chicken thrown on a frozen waffle? Fried chicken and gravy on ... some other waffle? Is syrup involved?

Traditionally, it's a regular large waffle with bone-in pieces of fried chicken on top. You can syrup it if you want. Think dipping the salty bacon in syrup... YUM. It's great when the chicken is spicy!

• Like 2

Chocolate covered pretzels

Bark, made with Saltine crackers.

I don't buy or make either one. I have no self control and will eat the whole bag/pan/whatever.

• Like 1

milkshake with french fries

I used to like this but I seriously almost choked TO DEATH eating this while driving. Don't eat while driving on an interstate! It is SO foolish!

(If you are wondering how this happened, I was noshing the fries and chasing them with chocolate milkshake. Until I sucked a fry right into my windpipe. Then I could not breathe at 65mph. Fun times.)

• Like 1