Menu

Pets at Christmas

Night Elf

No, I don't, and we don't do stockings.

I love my cats, I really do, but they don't understand the calendar. Hence, they don't need presents. (They also aren't really fond of cat toys, although one of them really loves chasing around the plastic doohickies you have to peel off of milk caps before you can open the bottle.) I do refill their scratcher every time it gets worn, and give them food treats throughout the year, and so on. I want them to be happy. I just don't see the need to do it at a time of year when my budget is strapped from buying gifts for the people who, by virtue of not being cats, actually understand what's going on.

Yes.  Our dog has a stocking.  I am even silly and make sure she doesn't see her gifts before Christmas..lol.  My kids would never let me get away with NOT getting her something. My husband also contributes to this behavior.  She is his spoiled little baby.  

ETA:  She totally doesn't get that it is Christmas, but she does get darned excited when we open gifts, and even more so when she realizes she gets one too! lol.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 5

Oh my gosh, we have to get presents for Aidan because his greatest joy is unwrapping them.  I wrap his presents in as many packages as possible because when he is done unwrapping his stuff, he helps us unwrap ours.  I wrap his presents in tissue paper or in scraps left over from regular wrapping. 

The annoying thing is that, unless I put an ex-pen around the tree, I can't put presents under it until Christmas morning.  Aidan will unwrap them all.  Also, he naps under the tree every day, every  Christmas.  He thinks he's all the presents we need ... and he's right!

Aidan doesn't have a stocking, though. 

• Like 4

She totally doesn't get that it is Christmas, but she does get darned excited when we open gifts, and even more so when she realizes she gets one too! lol.

Oh my gosh, we have to get presents for Aidan because his greatest joy is unwrapping them.

Well, of course, if my cats loved it when we unwrapped presents, maybe I'd get them something too :)

But the one strongly dislikes it when we do new or unusual things and the other just wants to sit on a lap and be snuggled.

We don't do stockings for the cats but we do give them special food treats.  We do have a stocking for the dog but she usually just gets a bone.   One year she needed a doggie bed so we gave her that but we also picked her up a blanket.  In fact, the kids got little throw blankets, too.  What was funny was she didn't bother the kids' throw blankets but when we unrolled hers she immediately came over and sat on it, looking quite happy.  :)

• Like 2

DD decorated a tree for her kitten yesterday :). Of course, given that we are using only non-breakable ornaments with no deep emotional significance, we kind of decorated the big tree for the kitten, too.

Everyone in our house has a "stocking" (the snakes have "snake bags" that are sold as wine bottle covers. DD wanted them to feel included, and snakes don't have feet!). DD insists. She'll also go through and wrap/prepare presents for everyone, including the cold-blooded family members who are brumating and won't stir until Spring. Two years ago, she brought Pinkie Py(thon) home on December 22-and that night, had to go out and get him a stocking and something to put in it so he'd feel like he was part of the family :).

• Like 4

I didn't used to.  But now that the boys are older and their Christmas wants are pretty much money . . . . it's depressingly bare under the tree. :(  So I'm remedying that with lots of stuff for the pets. :)

But no stockings for them.  We don't do those for the humans, either.

• Like 1

I did, yes. My dog absolutely knew what presents were, LOVED to unwrap them, and thought they were all for him. When he saw a gift bag, he would get super excited and dive into it, face first (whether it was his or not).  :)

This year is the first year we are doing stockings. Hopefully by next year we'll need a doggy one, too. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

All 4 of our animals share a stocking. I'm not sure how the dog feels about that. ;)

I also do a small stocking for the kitties belonging to my sons....well, the sons that no longer live in my home. One kitty in particular always counts on his stocking because it contains his favorite toy in the whole universe. It only costs a few dollars but that cat is over the moon with happiness. Can you tell I don't have grandchildren yet?

• Like 3

No stocking, and she doesn't really like treats. Sometimes I get her a new toy, but she really prefers pompoms, and we have a lot of those already.

She requires a special food and litter, plus occasional haircuts, so she's sort of expensive year-round. At least she was a hand-me-down. :)

No.

I have enough trouble getting all the buying done for my own six kids. I don't need to throw something superfluous like pet presents onto my list.

SUPERFLUOUS??? :svengo:

In our house, pet gifts and portraits with Santa have always been NECESSITIES! :D

(But our pets have always loved opening their gifts.)

• Like 6

No, I don't, and we don't do stockings.

I love my cats, I really do, but they don't understand the calendar. Hence, they don't need presents. (They also aren't really fond of cat toys, although one of them really loves chasing around the plastic doohickies you have to peel off of milk caps before you can open the bottle.) I do refill their scratcher every time it gets worn, and give them food treats throughout the year, and so on. I want them to be happy. I just don't see the need to do it at a time of year when my budget is strapped from buying gifts for the people who, by virtue of not being cats, actually understand what's going on.

What kind of WTM mom are you if you haven't even taught your cats the calendar??? :svengo:

I call eduCATional neglect!!! :lol:

• Like 7

We do! The cat gets a new stuffed mouse (she loves them) and the dog usually gets a chew bone of some sort. Sometimes he gets a new stuffed squirrel if he needs one (we've gone through quite a few in his 11 years with us). No stockings though. We're not big on stockings for us humans, so it's not a big deal for the pets either.

• Like 2

I just got our dog a stocking.  This will be his first Christmas with us and the whole family just loves this dog.  I'm not even a dog person and I love him!  He will be getting some new toys and a big bone.  Plus, it's DH's kind of family tradition to get the dog a big bone for Christmas.

It's so sweet of you to add all of those pretty lights and those little breakable things for her to swat onto the floor. You're such a giver. ;)

And so is she! As Breaking Cat News puts it:

• Like 1