Menu

Poll: do you buy reusable shopping bags?

to pick up dog poop, you're preserving it for future generations. I believe it was in Good Housekeeping, and they recommended using the biodegradable ones that you can buy. I haven't yet convinced myself that I need to purchase bags to clean up after my dog, but it tickled me a bit when I read that sentence in the article. :D

I am almost afraid to ask, but am I the only person on here that just lets mother nature take care of the dog droppings? I never pick them up. Well, if one of the dogs leaves one on the dining room rug :rolleyes: I pick it up. Fortunately they don't do that very often.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cleaning out the kitty litter box, you know.

Also, I refuse to participate in anything that seems to support the concept of global warming. But that's just me...

I have 6 canvas grocery bags and I absolutely love them. They save money. They save me time, b/c they hold so many more groceries that it means fewer trips to unload my van. I must admit global warming wasn't on the radar screen when I was collecting them. I do like the idea of not using the plastic bags, since they are a petroleum product and I'd like to do my part to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

As a political side note, however, I heard Clark Howard recently say that paper catalogs consume 50 million trees per year. I don't read 90% of the catalogs I receive (hs catalogs notwithstanding :-) ). That seems excessive to me.

I am almost afraid to ask, but am I the only person on here that just lets mother nature take care of the dog droppings? I never pick them up. Well, if one of the dogs leaves one on the dining room rug :rolleyes: I pick it up. Fortunately they don't do that very often.

Kelli,

In some places (like here) it is illegal to walk your dog and leave the er, um, droppings just laying around. If you let Fido go in your own backyard, it's fine to leave the work to mother nature, but if your dog goes on any other property you have to clean up after him.

Note: I had to yell at our neighbor's kid a few months ago. My kids were telling me that he was walking over here with his dog, letting the dog poop in our yard, then he'd go back next door to his own yard.

One day I looked out my kitchen window and wouldn't you know that dog was squatting right by my lilac bush! :eek:

I yelled out the window and boy and dog both ran off. I was planning to go over and say something to his parents since I'd witnessed it, but then I saw him come back with a Shop Rite bag and clean it up, so I just said "thank you."

Okay, back to the subject at hand!

We have too many boys playing in the back yard to wait for mother nature to do the work. And *I* don't ever want to have to navigate the back yard in that way.

My older son and I agreed, before we got the puppy, that he would clean up her mess every day. It goes into a biodegradable bag and gets tossed in the trash.

No, there's just too much of it to leave it. I've got the poopinest dogs in town. I can't enjoy being outside with that!!! It's going to be the death of me, and now I find out I'm preserving it for future generations? Aaack!!!

I don't know if it's illegal here to bag up poop in plastic bags, but it is to leave it when you're out on a walk.

Guess I better check into biodegradable bags or the Doggydooley. I hope this is a toilet for dogs, yes? :D

Oh!! Something I'd really like to show people. If you don't want to buy reuseable shopping bags, make your own out of recycled plastic bags!

Craftzine has links showing how to make a reuseable tote by knitting recycled plastic bags or by fusing/sewing one:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/08/plastic_bag_crafts.html

These are such cool projects. Have I mentioned lately how much I love Make Magazine and Craft Magazine?

eta: direct link to fusing instructions:

http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-overdue-fusing-plastic-bag.html

As a political side note, however, I heard Clark Howard recently say that paper catalogs consume 50 million trees per year. I don't read 90% of the catalogs I receive (hs catalogs notwithstanding :-) ). That seems excessive to me.

But those 50 million trees were grown on plantations specifically for the purpose of making paper :-) And those plantations provided jobs, and the paper mills provided jobs, and the companies that bought the paper and produced the catalogs provided jobs...at least there were people working :-)

But those 50 million trees were grown on plantations specifically for the purpose of making paper

Maybe ~ or maybe not. You never know. Weyerhauser, a company known to cut trees from old-growth forests, is a major manufacturer of paper bags. As far as I know, there are two other paper bag manufacturers in the U.S., neither of which is willing to reveal their sources.

Maybe ~ or maybe not. You never know. Weyerhauser, a company known to cut trees from old-growth forests, is a major manufacturer of paper bags. As far as I know, there are two other paper bag manufacturers in the U.S., neither of which is willing to reveal their sources.

Dang, I thought when my cloth bags were full that choosing the paper over the plastic was good, since we have no plastic recycling here and we do have paper recycling.

I just need more cloth bags, don't I?

Paper bags (versus plastic) require more energy to manufacturer in the first place, but fewer toxins are released in the process. Paper bags stand a greater chance of being recycled (though that process in and of itself is environmentally taxing) and will degrade faster (but not "fast"). Reusable bags are the best bet, no question, but now and then I actually need bags and then I opt for paper.

Thanks Colleen. You just stiffened my resolve to remember my reusable bags EVERY time I go into the store. And our Whole Foods (or maybe all of them) is doing away with plastic bags--they won't use them at all anymore.

And I just thought of a spin-off question...

My resolution this year is to use almost no throwaway bags.

I bought 20 reusable grocery bags and I use them every week.

(Our local Bi-Lo gives a 5 cent rebate for each reusable bag you bring.) The boys love "my" grocery bags.

Even the baggers at teh commisary are coming around.

I have 4 or 5 shopping bags for use in stores like Target. Mosty people here do not use reusable bags so I have to expalin it to most cashiers. Almost all of them have been happy abou the idea though.

• 2 months later...

I bought several large bags when we lived in Alaska from LLBean. This was 10+ years ago and I haven't seen them in their catalogs for awhile, but they are still as good as the day I bought them.

I don't always remember them so I still get plenty of plastic or paper bags for trash can duty.

Well, neither category fits me. Since we use the bags for kitty poop, they are being used again. For me, then, it's not a waste. I never have to buy little bags for this.

I also turn my extras into places like the library book store and the thrift store. As long as something gets used again, I don't see it as a waste.

I have bags I bought from Walmart. They are made from recycled soda bottles. It is ds' job to bring them out to the car and into the grocery store;he is really good about it, I would end up forgetting. I do use produce bags for stinky diapers. I am a cloth diaper drop out so I have a sufficient amount of guilt about that.

We shop at Price Rite mostly and I would have to buy bags if I didn't bring my own. Plus, we live on the third floor. The reusable bags carry much more, don't rip, and fit over my shoulder.

I've thought about re-usable shopping bags. But I "re-use" the plastic and paper ones myself for many things around the house. I don't just throw them away.

Same here. The plastic bags from the grocery store *are* my kitchen garbage bags. In my mind, that's eco friendly, too. It eliminates the need/use of kitchen garbage bags.

I am almost afraid to ask, but am I the only person on here that just lets mother nature take care of the dog droppings? I never pick them up.

That's one of the main reasons I cannot own a dog. I do not want to go searching around for poop to scoop, but I also don't want anyone stepping in it. (yuck)

I want to use them, really I do, but what do I do with all those bags that it would take for my overflowing cart of groceries for a family of 8 *while* I'm shopping? LOL

I don't have 6 dc, but I have one teen ds and one almost teen. That has to count for something :tongue_smilie:

It's amazing how much stuff the reusable bags will hold. I love them b/c it takes fewer bags at the grocery store, and it's much easier and faster when it's time to load/unload the car. Dh and I did a major (for us)grocery shop last night and bought $150 worth of groceries. It all fit into 7 reusable bags. It would have taken at least 15 platstics for that amount of groceries. What I do is stuff all the bags into one and just keep them in my cart while I shop. It's worth a try. :)

cleaning out the kitty litter box, you know.

Also, I refuse to participate in anything that seems to support the concept of global warming. But that's just me...

No it's not just you. It's a bunch of politics, and I refuse to support it as well. By the way, it is 24 degrees out and we got 2 inches of fresh snow last night. More snow promised each day through Friday. Maybe they're having global warming in Phoenix but as for here, I am just hoping that the several feet of snow we have will melt before the fall snows start all over again.

For what it's worth, I have so many uses for the plastic bags that I will keep getting them for a while, anyway. We do not have a garbage disposal so I keep a "tiny garbage" by my kitchen sink to dump scraps into and the plastic grocery bags work very well as liners. Someday we will compost, but we haven't begun that project yet.

I need my plastic shopping bags. I reuse them for so many things like small trash liners and to clean up after my dog. If I use grocery bags for these things then the bag gets used twice whereas if I buy spoecific bags for trash liners or doggy surprises then they would only get used once....

• 5 months later...

Here in Europe they've been trying to push reusable shopping bags for years. I've always thought they were too much trouble. And I actually use my used disposable bags to line small garbage pails, so I didn't want to have to buy reusable bags for groceries and then buy disposable bags to line the bins. Finally, about a year and a half ago, I noticed that the disposable bags they were supplying in my main grocery store, were decidedly more flimsy than they had been. I think the grocery company must have reduced the amount of plastic per bag. They would rip with only a few things in them. I finally broke down and bought the reusable bags.

I have several bags that I take with me when we go shopping; however, I haven't actually bought any. I've gotten them for free. :)

Me too. I have about 15 or 20 reusable bags. They give them away on Earth Day at the local grocery store here. One reusable bag for every 10 plastic bags you bring in an recycle. We don't have free recycling here, so they were kind of building up, :D.

I always bring in my own bags. I keep them in the trunk. I also keep one in my handbag at all times in case I decide to drop into the grocery store.

I do go ahead and get the plastic ones for meat and drippy things that I don't want to infest my "good" bags, LOL.

I also do sometimes let them give me 2 or 3 plastic bags because I use them for bathroom trash bags and cleaning out the doggy potty and stuff like that. I don't see any reason to pay for real small trash bags when they are offering those to me for free. :001_smile:

I bought 10 of them at Meijer. I like them because they're a bright blue. Anyway, I use them for all sorts of things other than groceries. Also, I shop at Aldi a lot and you have to bring your own bags or buy theirs. I find when I resuse plastic bags, they weaken easily and break. With my sturdy reusable ones, no problem with that.

Wastefulness bothers me, and not because of "global warming"; it just seems wrong to waste.

I have a bunch of them and am even considering taking in laundry baskets ;) Whatever works. When I just have a couple of items, I tell them not to bother with a bag. If I need a plastic tub, container, basket...I just put everything in there and tell them to put it back in there when they are done ringing it up. I also love the insulated ones that zip...excellent lunch bags!

I wish I could use them conveniently, but when an average shopping trip for our family uses about 30 plastic bags, it's hard to imagine bringing all those reusable ones instead. :confused:

I do reuse the plastic ones and we donate them to our local food pantry where people are encourged to reuse them and bring them back so I feel OK about using plastic for now.

I know what you mean as I have 4 adults and 7 children under my roof (I won't tell you how many refridgerators and freezers we have hooked up). However, we have to go to several stores here to fully shop and get the best prices, so we make runs home in between stores, unload, then head out again ;)

I wish I could use them conveniently, but when an average shopping trip for our family uses about 30 plastic bags, it's hard to imagine bringing all those reusable ones instead. :confused:

I do reuse the plastic ones and we donate them to our local food pantry where people are encourged to reuse them and bring them back so I feel OK about using plastic for now.

I think I'll try something like those woven/crocheted bags from that website mentioned earlier: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2007/08/plastic_bag_crafts.html

I reuse plastic bags when I can, and put them in our recycle bin if I can't. I don't really like to use them for trash bags, since they often have holes in the bottom (especially the Walmart plastic bags).

For our kitty litter box scooping, we use diaper disposal bags, which we buy at Dollar Tree (a box of 100 for $1).

We've used reusable shopping bags for several years here, before they were available in the stores. We use the big LL Bean type canvas bags, and a few "market bags" I've knit to use up old cotton yarn. I like the canvas bags better, though. We just bought two new nylon bags from Whole Foods, but I"m not sure I like them better than my big LL Bean bags.

astrid

I *want* to use them, because some of them are just so cute! However, I actually use the plastic shopping bags ALOT. I use them for cleaning out the cats litter.....I use them to scrape food into after dinner so that it does not stink up the garbage can.....I use them to carry stuff in if we are going somewhere. I use them a lot, so I just cannot justify buying reuseable bags when I would just end up buying small trash bags anyways.